TVLine Items: Smash: The Musical, Southland Actress to Shameless, Doctor Who News & More

smash-season-2-jeremy-jordan-jimmySmash‘s Hit List is about to be staged in real life. (Take that, Bombshell!)

For one night only, New York’s 54 Below is putting on the scrappy musical introduced in the now-cancelled NBC drama’s second (and final) season.

Series/Broadway stars Jeremy Jordan, Andy Mientus and Krysta Rodriguez will appear in two concert-performances on Dec. 9, The New York Times reports, with additional players to be announced at a later date. The score will include songs seen (often in pieces) during the show’s run, as well as additional numbers by composers Drew Gasparini, Joe Iconis, Benj Pasek, Andrew McMahon, Marc Shaiman, Lucie Silvas and Scott Wittman.

Smash fans will remember that Hit List, penned by Jordan and Mientus’ characters Jimmy and Kyle, lured Katharine McPhee’s Karen away from Bombshell and eventually won several Tonys.

RELATEDSmash Series Finale Recap: And the Tony Goes to…

Ready for more of today’s TV dish? Well…

Emily Bergl (Southland) and Nick Gehlfuss (The Newsroom) are about to get Gallaghered. The actors are joining the fourth season of Showtime’s Shameless, according to The Hollywood Reporter; Bergl will play Sammy, a trainwreck of a woman who’s attracted to Frank, and Gehlfuss will portray Robbie, the “dangerous” brother of Fiona’s new guy Mike.

RELATEDShameless Season 4 Cast: Justin Chatwin Not Returning in Season 4

• Hector Elizondo will reprise his Grey’s Anatomy role as Callie’s dad Carlos in a November episode, according to TVGuide.com.

• Ben Wheatley, director of the bloody British crime/horror film Kill List, will direct the first two episodes of Doctor Who‘s upcoming season, EW.com reports.

RELATEDDoctor Who Casts Torchwood vet Peter Capaldi as New Time Lord

Generation Cryo, MTV’s docu-series about young adults conceived through sperm donation, will premiere on Monday, Nov. 25 at 10 pm, per The Hollywood Reporter.

Which TVLine Items have you talking today?

1. Chris says:

Awesome…can we get a full-on staging of Bombshell too?!

2. Jo says:

Ugh. Why is New York so far away? TVLine… Please use your pull to demand (yes, demand) they film and release Hit List… at the very least digitally.

3. Katie says:

I can’t believe they’re staging Hit List and not Bombshell… I was not a fan of Hit List at all (although it seems others are…).

4. abz says:

I wish it was going to be televised!

5. Jo says:

Hit List has grown on me a lot since the show ended. I listen to it quite a bit. I still prefer Bombshell, but they can’t stage that until Sean Saves The World is cancelled in a few weeks.

6. sarah says:

Damn, I wish I lived in NYC and could go!

7. Fernanda says:

I’m still waiting for Bombshell with the original cast and Megan Hilty as Marilyn, Sorry McPhevers #TeamIvy

8. danoregon says:

Someone has to leak it on their cell phone yeah? I mean Hitlist is a show for “the people” right?
    The composers have said you couldn’t state Bombshell without killing the Marilyn who would have about 20 songs/numbers to do. They never did establish a decent subplot to give Ivy a rest.

9. Tony says:

Bombshell would be easy. Have the Boston version and the Broadway version switch off nights. That way your Marilyn would get a break. Karens was more introspective witch worked for her character. While Ivy’s was more bombastic and showy.

10. Allyson says:

Oh how much I miss Smash!!!! Now, just curious as to why they are only performing the musical for one night only.

11. Lauren says:

I found out about this about forty minutes after it broke and the tickets were already sold out. I’m from Australia and I’ve booked a holiday for December in New York and by some miracle I’ll be there for it, but won’t get to go. It sucks. I’m planning on going to the theatre anyway to see if anyone is selling their ticket/wait at the stage door.

12. RS says:

Hit List as a complete story in real life?? Dream come true!

13. mar says:

excited for the Hit List fans who get to see it in Dec!

14. Elm says:

Finally some news on Shameless! Thanks!

15. Andrea says:

I can see Hit List being performed in a supper club more than I can Bombshell. Bombshell was a full-on production, meaning it was huge in scope and drama. It really was a “production” in that sense of the word. if it is ever actually performed, it should be performed on a stage. Hit List was much smaller in feel, and it began in a smaller theater on the show.. Of the two, Hit List is the one that I’d expect to see in real life. Bombshell is just too complicated.

16. Amie says:

Nobody has mentioned the fact that Ms. McPhee is not listed as a performer in this 54 Below staging. Does that put a damper on anyone’s enthusiasm? After all, she was the “star” of Hit List. So who will sing Karen’s songs? I also wonder if 54 Below will record the concert, because they’ve done that with other performances there, like Laura Benanti and Aaron Tveit. If only Laura Benanti and Aaron Tveit could help out with Hit List!

• Ann says:

I’m hoping Krystal Rodriguez takes over the part played by Karen Cartwright. And then someone a little older can be the diva.

17. Jody says:

I hope Katherine McPhee will take part in this and I wish some network would pick up SMASH! The show was great – it was the HORRIBLE new showrunner Josh Safran who made all those bad decisions and tanked the ratings in season two!