The Good Wife Exclusive: Kalinda's New Love Interest Cut From Season 5

Get More: Casting News, Exclusive

The Good Wife Cast ChangeKalinda’s highly-touted new romance on The Good Wife is over before it began.

TVLine has learned exclusively that Juliet Rylance — who was set to debut in last month’s premiere as Holly, a whip-smart Assistant State’s Attorney who shares a past with Kalinda — will not be turning up after all.

VIDEO | Good Wife First Look: Will Flips Out on Alicia

Rylance did shoot several scenes for the Sept. 29 opener, but they were cut for time, per a Good Wife insider, who stresses that the English actress was technically only committed to doing one episode (with the possibility of it evolving into a recurring gig).

RELATED | Good Wife Boss Tackles the Kalinda Question

In an interview with AfterEllen.com back in July, Good Wife cocreator Robert King described Holly as a “party girl” who possesses a “passionate side,” adding, “She feels like Kalinda is closeted and she really should announce herself, that it’s wrong for her to be so withdrawn about her sexuality. And with Kalinda it’s not a political thing. She’s not closeted, she’s really private. There’s this real disconnect between the two of them.”

UPDATE: According to sources, Rylance’s lead role in Cinemax’s 10-episode Steven Soderbergh-helmed drama The Knick may have been a contributing factor in her abrupt Good Wife exit.

Comments (58)

• Kalinda is being pushed further and further away from the show. I don’t understand it. Her role gets smaller and smaller. I know that everything changed when it was learned that Kalinda and Peter slept together, but The Good Wife not utilizing Kalinda more and not going into her personal and professional life is silly. The show is really good, but she makes it great. This is another bad sign. I was really looking forward to seeing Kalinda with someone this season.

Comment by S – October 14, 2013 04:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree 100%

Comment by dreamerr – October 14, 2013 05:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Seriously. It’s such a bummer. Even small moments with Kalinda really make the show pops, and now she really has been sidelined. So she can’t have a relationship with Alicia anymore because Julianna doesn’t want it, her relationship with Carey can’t be on screen because “they want the mystery”, and now she can’t have a relationship outside of Carey or Alicia?

A bit of a bummer, really :-/

Comment by Josh – October 14, 2013 05:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • ITA, it’s such a letdown, they’ve isolated her from the only characters/relationships that people care about (friendship with Alicia, romance with Cary) and it’s baffling why (not really though…).
          I just wish egos could be set aside and TGW could go back to producing what’s best for EVERYONE (this goes for the show on the whole itself). TGW is at it’s best WITH Kalinda.

Comment by Tav – October 14, 2013 10:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Juliet Rylance is shooting a new series right now. She got the other job after she filmed TGW premiere episode. It looks like that’s the scheduling and difficulties RK was talking about.

They really should bring back Kalinda’s FBI lover Lana Delaney, IMO.

Comment by MC – October 14, 2013 07:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Jill Flint has a new show too. It’s on NBC as a mid-season premier I think. I’m guessing it’s going to tank from early critic reviews, but regardless…she probably won’t be available till mid-season or later (if at all).

Comment by C – October 14, 2013 09:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed. I have always thought of Kalinda as being one of the main characters on the show even though she has never had as much screen time. She is fantastic on the show and they need to get her back in the circle… It seems like they think the only storyline she can have now involves some sort of relationship story (which would be great as long as it’s not as terrible as her ex coming back was)… Just get her back into the private detective stuff again!

Comment by Kristoffer – October 14, 2013 09:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well said, and this development is just more bad news. Now it really seems TVLine’s prediction about Kalinda being written out is true. Which is probably the worst decision the show could make.
      Alicia has actually become more and more unlikable over the seasons (perhaps the writers thinks she’s “coming out of her shell” but she’s actually become rude and obnoxious), Peter is still a sleazebag, their kids are annoying, Jackie is a pill, and Veronica is just another distraction. TGW is turning into “Florrick Family Values” and it’s such an inane direction to take the show. They should go back to the seasons 1+2 formula of emphasis on cases while exploring the facets of Kalinda, Will and Diane (who are infinitely more compelling than the Florricks).
      If Kalinda is indeed gone then I am done with the show.

Comment by Tav – October 14, 2013 10:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I really wish they bring back Lana or the Assistant DA who was having a affair with Cary that will be great

Comment by topaz – October 27, 2013 09:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kalinda is one of the BEST parts of this show and they keep giving her lousy storylines and I hate that she hasn’t been in it as much as she usually is. What did she ever do to them? Ugh.

Comment by megan – October 14, 2013 05:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Maybe now they’ll finally explore a relationship between her and Cary. Now that Cary has been moved to the (middle) burner, tying them together would give her more screen time.

Comment by big cheddar – October 14, 2013 05:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No! They’re really gonna write her out, aren’t they? I had my hopes so high for more Kalinda this year.

Comment by Leah – October 14, 2013 05:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I almost forgot about Kalinda. It’s wrong the way they’re doing her. Now that annoying blond chick is getting more screen time. Juliana M. Doesn’t want their friendship to progress? I didn’t know that. Hmmm.

Comment by tp – October 14, 2013 05:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s not that Julianna Margulies has anything against Archie Panjabi, or Kalinda per se, but she doesnt find it realistic for Kalinda and Alicia to be friends after what occurred, and she doesn’t see how it’s possible for them to rebuild their relationship. Now, I am not saying that she is wrong, but if the writers are doing their job then they will figure out a way to incorporate Kalinda back into the fold. Because if I wanted things to be 100% real I wouldn’t watch the show, I watch shows to be entertained, and Kalinda being the Kalinda of old is 100% entertaining, right now the show is sorely lacking that. The show has had 2 big big mistakes, they have had others 1. Was introducing Kalinda’s husband and doing a terrible job at it, 2. Was having it revealed that Kalinda slept with Peter. They have seriously messed up with the character of Kalinda and I just don’t understand why.

Comment by S – October 14, 2013 05:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I wish the writers would find a way to make it happen. I really enjoyed their friendship. Now, I’m gonna have to Google that bit of info about Juliana M. Gotta see it in context.

Comment by tp – October 14, 2013 05:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • And yes the husband storyline was the most awful thing ever!

Comment by tp – October 14, 2013 05:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Wow..what a diva move on Julianna’s part. That may be enough to make me stop watching the show now.

Comment by megan – October 14, 2013 06:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Julianna is talking about Alicia’s feelings for Malinda not in real life

Comment by Jake – October 14, 2013 07:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Doesn’t matter. As lead of the show she has a say and if she’s not happy with her character, who do you think the writers listen to?

Comment by megan – October 14, 2013 08:00 PM PDT
      • The creators had planned Kalinda/Peter from the beginning. It was probably part of the pitch for the show. They originally planned to have Alicia find out during season 1 but they enjoyed watching the Alicia/Kalinda friendship so much that they delayed it to the later half of season 2.

Comment by Daniel (@critiqueoftv) – October 14, 2013 08:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like Kalinda and all but after that whole awful husband storyline, I’m okay with not seeing Kalinda’s romantic life. I’d love to see the friendship between her and Alicia pick up, but guessing Alicia leaving won’t help with that much.

Comment by Tee – October 14, 2013 05:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Me too. I loved Kalinda in the early seasons but the season 4 Nick drama (and her later negotiation over health insurance drama) made me see her as an unstable, sexually manipulative drama-queen rather than the cool, collected, intelligent woman that I admired early on. I’m happy to see any movement *away* from her sex life (we get it, she’s a “hunter” who uses sex to get what she wants — can we move on already?) and toward her platonic relationships.

I want to see more of Kalinda being torn between Alicia/Cary vs. Diane vs. Will — because soon enough, she’s going to have to choose. Isn’t that a hell of a lot more fascinating than seeing her knocking sexy boots with yet another random guest star?

Comment by Maria – October 14, 2013 10:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wouldnt be shocked to see Kalinda cut from the show. That husband storyline really killed her character

Comment by ggny – October 14, 2013 05:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Kalinda needs to recover from that entire stupid debacle, ASAP. She’s lost her ‘mystery’ and instead of developing as a character, she regressed into being a childish, bratty moron because of the whole Nick business. Right now, I’m actually kind of glad we’re seeing only a little of her — it gives me time to actually miss her!

Comment by Maria – October 14, 2013 10:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Where does it say Julianna doesn’t want Alicia and Kalinda to be friends anymore? I think people loved that friendship the most.

Comment by megan – October 14, 2013 05:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She has said that in numerous interviews and actually doesn’t seen to find of that character. Julianna has never been one to share the spotlight.

Comment by Dmac – October 14, 2013 07:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Thank you. I don’t usually read or watch interviews with her because I’ve heard some not so nice things about her behind the scenes. I feel really bad for Archie. Such a waste of a great talent. No sense in me watching anymore if Kalinda is being ousted.

Comment by megan – October 14, 2013 07:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Boo hoo for us Kalinda fans :( Too bad what they’ve done to her character.

Comment by Raffaelle – October 14, 2013 05:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bad move putting Kalinda in the back seat again. I see her character disappear which will be a bad move. Guess Julianna didn’t want any screen competition. :-\

Comment by tahina – October 14, 2013 05:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i seriously don’t understand what they’re doing with kalinda… she had two minutes of screen time total last night and she slayed. she was amazing and the only thing she did was react to finding out alicia’s leaving. I mean, they have to know she’s a fan favorite right? i’m really bummed about the way she’s being treated. I still love the show and i’m enjoying this season, but it feels like something is missing, and that something is more kalinda.

Comment by Dani – October 14, 2013 06:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They’re totally going to kill her off, aren’t they. Such a bummer.

Comment by CJ – October 14, 2013 06:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Am I the only one who thinks there is something (not romantic) between Kalinda and Will?

Comment by Baileigh – October 14, 2013 06:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Will is Kalinda’s buddy (per RK). Kalinda is also loyal to Diane. I can see more interactions between Will/Kalinda and Diane/Kalinda this season. Robert King hinted at that.

Comment by MC – October 14, 2013 08:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Will Kalinda be the one to tell Will that Alicia is leaving?

Comment by ACQ – October 15, 2013 09:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • There doesn’t seem to be a reason for this new direction. Is the actress suddenly unavailable? Did the writers change their mind? More and more it feels like Kalinda is being written out. After that horrendous arc with her ‘husband’ she has been all but MIA. She literally is the reason I started watching TGW. I’ve never cared much for Juliana Margulis but the character of Kalinda intrigued me. She was badass and fearless and interesting. How did they make that Lee character a regular and keep Kalinda in the background? TGW is amazingly written, but its not enough anymore. I have already dropped several shows this season. Maybe this one will be next. With the super low ratings, I doubt it goes beyond this season anyways. Archie Panjabi should get her own show on cable.

Comment by Babygate – October 14, 2013 06:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Am I the only one that thinks this is a good idea? I’ve liked Kalinda best when she is interacting with people from the office and doing detective work. Not her MANY love interests, mostly who have been dull compared to Kalinda and totally not worthy of her.

Comment by neha – October 14, 2013 06:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m not opposed to them dropping the story if they actually replace it with something else. But since S3, this is how it goes for K…Kelli Giddish got SVU and disappeared, then nicole beharie was replaced…and we ended up with Dana Lodge, which was horrible. Followed by Nick. Followed by ten Kalinda Lite episodes. I think they short change her with all the focus on her sexuality…BUT its better than no Kalinda at all :(

Comment by C – October 14, 2013 07:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m with you. I’m tired of Kalinda’s sexuality being her only story; I want them to focus on either her work and/or her platonic relationships. I think it’s fine to put her on the back-burner for a while; I have faith that they’ll come up with something better for her later on in the season!

Comment by Maria – October 14, 2013 11:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Damn. Why? It’s so unfair. I love Kalinda. She needs to be used more. She is an amazing actress… she won an emmy for goodness sake. Why are they doing this to her? Please don’t write Kalinda out. I was looking forward to seeing Kalinda with another female… it’s the way it should be.

Comment by Loz – October 14, 2013 06:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Kalinda should be with Lana.

But it’s not the writers’ fault that the Holly character has been cut. Juliet Rylance got herself a new gig.

Comment by MC – October 14, 2013 07:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m not surprised. Everyone was in uproar when she was given her ex-husband story line. Now the writers don’t want to complicate her with another romantic interest. I don’t even think she is still over with the FBI lady. Everyone stop making it out as if she is being written out. Its only been what 3 episodes.

Comment by Shaun Ed – October 14, 2013 06:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The problem with the ex-husband wasn’t that it was a romantic Kalinda storyline. The problem with the ex-husband was that he was intellectually beneath her, a violent, worthless thug, and RIDICULOUS. The casting didn’t help either- there was no chemistry or charisma there that could even partially explain how somebody like Kalinda got involved with a moron like that.

Comment by xx – October 14, 2013 07:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • …or why she would have been on the run from someone like that. He wasn’t scary in the least. More annoying than anything.

Comment by big cheddar – October 14, 2013 10:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Have you been watching the same show we have? It’s been 3 episodes this season. But Kalinda didn’t have a storyline for the back half of S4 either. A few scenes here and there, but she was fairly underused. I guess for me it’s less that she has less screen time and more that she has a crappy narrative AND less screen time.

Comment by C – October 14, 2013 07:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I want to stay positive and hope that they will instead focus on her and Cary’s relationship/friendship instead.

Comment by Sally – October 14, 2013 07:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Kings have been exceptional show runners, so I trust them on this. Would enjoy some more plot lines for Kalinda though.

Comment by Liz – October 14, 2013 07:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kalinda and Cary!

Comment by Daisy Day – October 14, 2013 10:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think the producers still have PTSD after the Kalinda’s husband debacle. And they might just fast forward the Kalinda-Cary romance.

Comment by Miranda – October 14, 2013 11:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am shocked so many people are Kalinda fans. Her pouting and boots just annoy me. Kalinda out I say! The huaband story being.so weak that it confirmed to me that the show coukd be much better without her

Comment by jimmydestiny – October 15, 2013 12:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • On one hand I am happy because I want Kalinda to be with Cary. There is so much untapped potential there, it drives me mad that they don’t properly explore it. One the other, this seems like just another way to cut Kalinda’s screentime. I seriously hope Ausiello wasn’t right in his prediction about her being written out because she is the best part of the show. JM and her ego can suck it.

Comment by Ella – October 15, 2013 01:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The show has never dissapointed me before, so I am sure her screen-time will increase in the coming weeks. Every character on the show had a time on the show that their screen time was very minimal, so I guess this is Kalinda’s period. I know everyone loves her ( so do I ), but I love the show as a whole aswell. And to be honest I wasn’t waiting for yet another love interest for Kalinda. I’d rather see her single, or maybe see her flirt, but that’s it. If she’s supposed to end up with anyone it’s either Cary, or Lana. JM has said in an interview that there’s some Alicia/Kalinda stuff coming up, and a lot of Kalinda/Will, and Kalinda/Diane, so I’m sure we will see more of her. Have trust in the creators!

Comment by alwayshappy – October 15, 2013 03:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s not so much a lack of trust in the Kings as it is in JM’s character.
      She appears to be making decisions based on jealousy … or something just as venal.
      If Kalinda is written off the show, I’m going to be one of many fans who will sadly, but definitely, have to give up on The Good Wife.

Comment by notanseladams – October 15, 2013 07:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She had a major story line with the whole husband thing, so it’s time for her character to take a back seat for awhile.

Comment by Bob – October 15, 2013 07:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Personally, I’m not bothered by the lessening focus on Kalinda. I loved the character but IMO, none of the attempts to give her more story worked for me and the business with the ex-husband was such a fiasco that I spent much of last season cringing at the sight of Kalinda. Also, JM isn’t wrong on this. It would be unrealistic for Alicia and Kalinda to go back to being the friends they were after that kind of betrayal.

Comment by Marceline (@MsMarceline) – October 15, 2013 10:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So they cut the one big storyline they had planned for her this season? Look, I don’t care if they focus on Kalinda’s love life or not, but they need to give her more screen-time. I know we’re not getting Alicia-Kalinda because of Julianna’s views and the creators don’t seem to want to pursue Cary/Kalinda at this point…but give the woman SOMETHING to do. Strengthen her friendships with Will and Diana, give her more responsibility at LG, get her more involved with Eli…SOMETHING. Kalinda is one of the most popular characters on the show and her lack of screen-time is hurting the show in the long run.

Comment by SF – October 15, 2013 11:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have no issue with how the season has progressed, if anything the show has seemed far more focused and fast paced then any of the prior years.

Comment by Joseph – October 15, 2013 02:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Again?? That wouldn’t happen if they booked the damn actresses they are relying exclusively on for Kalinda’s arcs! First Jill Flint, then Kelli Giddish… see a pattern??
    Great actresses won’t just wait around for The Good Wife to call in case they want to have two scenes with kalinda in one episode. They need commitment!

Comment by Fluff – October 15, 2013 07:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kalinda is my favorite character on this show. I know I should be rooting for Alicia but somehow haven’t warmed up to her character as much as I would like to. Regarding the Peter thing, Alicia forgave Peter, there’s never been a frank conversation with Kalinda about what exactly happened, I find that weird, I’m sorry but it almost seems like they’ve decided not to bring them back together at all, regardless. Meanwhile neither of them have friends in which they can confide. Also loved the Kalinda-Cary interactions, lots of untapped potential there and that’s also been squashed. By the way I’m on season 4, not yet started season 5 but so far loved season 1 and 2, season 3 was a letdown and not sure about season 4.

Comment by Josiane Ochman (@PiloteXYZ) – December 22, 2013 03:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post