NCIS: LA Boss: Episode 100 Is 'Chris O'Donnell's Best Work' — Watch a 'Shocking' Sneak Peek

Get More: Interviews, Previews

NCIS LA 100th Episode SpoilersThis Tuesday at 9/8c, CBS’ NCIS: Los Angeles marks 100 episodes with a kidnapping case that involves someone very close to Agent Callen — he just doesn’t know it yet. Show boss Shane Brennan gave TVLine a preview of the “very powerful” and moving Callen-centric hour and the bombshell it threatens to drop.

RELATED | Exclusive: Boy Meets World Alum ‘Enters Rehab’ for NCIS: Los Angeles Role

TVLINE | When did you know exactly what you wanted to do with Episode 100?
If you go back to the beginning of Season 2, the very first episode, there’s a moment in there that I set up and we in fact we deliver in the hundredth episode. What was really interesting in looking at the hundredth episode, because it’s obviously Callen-centric, was the amount of his backstory that we covered in those other 75 episodes. It’s very rewarding as a writer to have the opportunity to fill out someone’s story like this, as it just keeps getting bigger, and bigger, and bigger, and it’s really, really fulfilling for the actors to be able to take all of that backstory and focus it in on this one episode. Everyone who’s seen it, the first thing they say — every time and without exception — is, “This is Chris O’Donnell’s best work.” He is fantastic in this episode. It’s very powerful and you will be affected by the ending. You really will.

TVLINE | When the script for an episode like this starts circulating to the cast, does Chris ever, like, pick up the phone or get a message to you saying, “Shane, this is dynamite”?
It does happen. Chris is just an absolute professional. He comes prepared every day, he’s someone who walks in and knows his material. But beyond being word-perfect, he is right inside the character and the moment, and understands where it comes from. In a particular episode, he might reference something that happened 25 episodes ago, he’s just masterful at it. And so, yeah, when he saw this script he said, “Wow” – and it was the wow of, “I can’t wait to get into this because it’s big, it’s tough, I’m going to have to work really hard as an actor. This is challenging, and I love that challenge.” And he absolutely delivered.

TVLINE | And in this episode you’re not just dangling any new piece of the Callen puzzle in front of us. You’re introducing someone who could possibly be his father?
There is a line in the episode where a particular man says, “I am your father.” So, yeah, it was a really interesting episode to write. The production crew just totally nailed it, and there are some great action sequences in it. If you watch the first minute of the show [embedded below], you will have to watch the rest. After the credits, we go back eight hours and you’ll see the day unfold, taking us back up to that point. The first minute of the show is very shocking — two of our people, we don’t know if they’re dead or alive.

Loading video...

RELATED | NCIS: Los Angeles Spoilers — Nell’s Got a Gun!

TVLINE | The Comescu clan rears its head again, like a bad penny. Reznikov, N.Who does this latest wrinkle agitate more, Callen or possibly Hetty?
It certainly agitates both of them — Hetty for the reason that she doesn’t want Callen to know what’s going on. And when Callen then sort of breaks protocol a little, Hetty is very concerned about that. It’s one thing to go to Romania and poke the hornet’s nest. It’s another thing to have the hornet’s nest drop into your lap in L.A.

TVLINE | You told me at the start of this season that you were going to be doing something that a show like this doesn’t necessarily do a lot, with Kensi and Deeks — and sure enough, these past few weeks caught me off guard. You really are doing some interesting character work with those two.
Well, they’re such interesting characters — the dynamic between them is really powerful and there’s amazing chemistry. There’s a fan base out there who love these kinds of relationships within series like this, and it’s always challenging to make it fresh and different.

TVLINE | But like I told Eric Christian Olsen over the summer, this is an instance where the female almost wanted it more than the male, that it was Deeks with his walls up.
It was a conscious decision on our part to do two things. One was to not to go down that path that you just described, and to be different. The other thing we wanted to do is to move the relationship, from time to time, and surprise the audience by how quickly things suddenly moved along. We’ve done that with that spontaneous kiss at the end of last season, and then putting Deeks in all of that jeopardy. The relationship now can’t go back to normal because things have changed, and we play that out through the first 10 episodes of the season in a fairly big way. Then there’s quite a shocking moment in Episode 10 that throws everything awry, and then for the next eight or so episodes it’s Kensi and Deeks and their relationship is in some serious trouble, and then there’s very much a big, big, big shock around Episode 18 for both of them, one that shakes their relationship again. This is definitely the season of Kensi and Deeks.

TVLINE | Do you care to rule out that either of the big shocks are dictated by Daniela Ruah’s real-life pregnancy?
I will definitely, and utterly, and totally rule that out. The pregnancy does not play into their storyline at all.

TVLINE | I was gonna say — I took health class, and it would take some magic.
Yeah. Let’s put that thought, rumor, suggestion to rest. Kensi is not carrying Deeks’ baby. She’s not carrying anyone’s baby on the screen.

TVLINE | Oh, good for saying that — because otherwise people would read between the lines.
Yeah, they might think it’s Callen’s!

Want more scoop on NCIS: Los Angeles, or for any other show? Email insideline@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

Comments (38)

• Is it wrong that I don’t give a crap what happens to Callen or whomever is kidnapped? I just wants Kensi & Deeks!!!

Comment by Nicotine – October 14, 2013 03:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Me too!

Comment by Carlota Aleixo – October 14, 2013 04:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes, it is wrong because without Callen there is no show.

Comment by enuff said – October 14, 2013 05:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Callen is the least interesting character on the show.

Comment by Matt – October 14, 2013 06:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I totally agree Callen I’d the least interesting character and most of the time I wish Hattie would slap him.

Comment by Dmac – October 14, 2013 07:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Dear god, save us from crazy shippers *cringes*

Comment by Kati (@timotey) – October 15, 2013 01:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • KENSI AND DEEKS ARE GREAT BUT SO IS CALLEN AND LL COOL J!!!

Comment by MIMI – October 16, 2013 10:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I.absolutely.LOVE the Comescu angle!! Many thanks to Shane et al. for keeping alive what has become THE best arc for NCIS:la. This clan we all love to hate is clearly deeply entrenched in Callen’s past, present & even future. I wouldn’t mind at all if his quest to get to the bottom of all this takes us to Series’ End!!

Comment by Natalie – October 14, 2013 03:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Callen’s dad can’t be just anyone! It will be some famous name and a big deal when it eventually reveals. Beside Comescu probably just screwing with Callen.

Comment by Izzy – October 14, 2013 03:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally agree! Callen’s father has to be an interesting, shocking and significant story. I keep seeing Sean Connery in my mind….can’t wait for the season to reveal. Keep it coming Shane!

Comment by NUShuz – October 14, 2013 07:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “This is definitely the season of Kensi and Deeks”. Where have I heard that before on a NCIS related show?

Comment by Garrett B – October 14, 2013 06:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Whatever happens as a shocker in the 18th episode, please do not ruin the chemistry between Kensi and Deeks; this is one of the most interesting parts of the Show. Shocker! Okay but please do not pull them apart.

Comment by Charles Cummings – October 17, 2013 01:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t hear the show. We’ve given up watching cause music is louder than the words

Comment by TZ McCann – October 14, 2013 06:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t wait for this episode. Chris O’Donnell is my favorite character on the show. I am excited to learn more about his past. I enjoyed Season 2 (and beginning of Season 3) because it really dived into Callen’s past. Let’s be honest. Deeks and Kensi are great for the humor of the show. But Callen is the heart of the show. He is like Gibbs, a man of many layers! Oh and I like the Alias format….showing us what happened and going back in time.

Comment by Grace – October 14, 2013 09:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I meant I like the actor Chris. His character Callen is my favorite character on the show. :)

Comment by Grace – October 14, 2013 09:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They are all important for the show, all the main characters. I would miss any of Callen, Sam, Kensi, Deeks, Hetty, Nell, Eric. Each of them has brought something to the story. It is true that Callen is the heart of the story, but he could not carry this by himselft in a series. It is a show about relationships, and all these well established relationships are also the heart of the story.
    Kensi and Deeks are a big part of it, as they have managed as a couple to be different from other couples in similar shows, in a way that has put them somewhere very high on fan’s otp list. The two actors have amazing chemistry, you can totally buy anything they want to sell :)

Comment by Mandy – October 15, 2013 12:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Don’t say its the season of Kensi and Deeks! Thats what was said about Ziva and Tony last season and look whats happened there, you’ll jinx it!

Comment by Georgia – October 15, 2013 05:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Spot on. I hope NCIS:LA will deliver where NCIS failed to do!

Comment by Garrett B. – October 15, 2013 10:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Callen is my favorite.I’m anticipating a good show. I don’t like Deeks. I wish he would get cleaned up. Shave and hair cut!

Comment by Sharon – October 15, 2013 08:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agree about Deeks – I do like him but he needs a stylist or at least a shower, shampoo and shave

Comment by Daisy Day – October 16, 2013 09:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Gee, Sam, tell us how you really feel…lol.

Comment by Amanda Manick – October 19, 2013 08:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i agree was good casting of castles dad. for me callen and hettie are the best of the show i wish they would bring the psycoligist guy back like him too. in my opinion deeks in dire need of a haircut and needs to not be so childish. i want to no more about callen so looking forward to see him shine. would like to no more about hettie too.

Comment by barbara – October 15, 2013 02:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chris is perfect! The best actor in show. Congratulations, Chris. I love you!

Comment by april – October 15, 2013 08:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chris deserved to be nominated for an Emmy. His performance was spectacular.

Comment by Jessica – October 15, 2013 08:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He really knocked it out of the park.

Comment by Tiara – October 16, 2013 01:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Chris is the best. Without it NCIS: Los Angeles would be nothing. Love his work deserves to be nominated for an Emmy.

Comment by Jessica – October 17, 2013 06:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is Chris O’Donnell’s Emmy reel! Without Chris O’Donnell there wouldn’t be a show. He is the best! I love the chemistry between him and Hetty. Love Deeks and Kensi and also Nell and Eric. Fabulous cast!

Comment by Daisy Day – October 16, 2013 09:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by Jessica – October 17, 2013 06:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • last night was excellent episode. callen is indeed the best and also hetty they both make this show. the ending was so emotional. finally tuesday nights shows were great ncis superb as was person of interest

Comment by barbara – October 16, 2013 10:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • HEY GUY’S ARE YOU ALL FORGETTING ABOUT LL COOL J? HE’S WONDERFUL AND IS A BIG PART OF THE SHOW!! HE IS A SWEET AND LOVEING PERSON TOO!!

Comment by MIMI – October 16, 2013 10:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • sorry mimi i luv llcoolj too

Comment by barbara – October 16, 2013 06:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Must be awkward seeing Ruah (Kenzi) is engaged to Deeks older brother in real life.. Just saying

Comment by Carlos – October 25, 2013 09:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • well that’s just great read on eonline that someone from the show will die season end. what’s wrong with these shows killing off peoole

Comment by barbara – October 30, 2013 06:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I luv callen also but u gotta give props to the whole group due to chemistry if there is no chemistry this show would of never made it so just don’t favor just one I even think the geek who like to wear shorts due to his heritage is getting hotter very handsome but so is everyone on the show is …..I remember my son introduced my husband & I to listen to L L Cool J (Lady Love) thinking we probably wont like it but his rap we did like …..cauz we r Rock Fans/Pop so if anybody is reading this plz give the other cast members applause also BRAVO!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Rosie – November 4, 2013 12:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ok rosie lol Bravo!!!! to the rest of cast. i think the geek guy is eric and i like nell his partner. last episode she was wearing her hair done it looked good. i miss the guy who was a psycologist he came back a few times but that was it. tues nites are great ncis ncisla person of interest luv it

Comment by barbara – November 5, 2013 04:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post