NCIS: LA Boss: Episode 100 Is 'Chris O'Donnell's Best Work' -- Watch a 'Shocking' Sneak Peek

NCIS LA 100th Episode SpoilersThis Tuesday at 9/8c, CBS’ NCIS: Los Angeles marks 100 episodes with a kidnapping case that involves someone very close to Agent Callen — he just doesn’t know it yet. Show boss Shane Brennan gave TVLine a preview of the “very powerful” and moving Callen-centric hour and the bombshell it threatens to drop.

RELATED | Exclusive: Boy Meets World Alum ‘Enters Rehab’ for NCIS: Los Angeles Role

TVLINE | When did you know exactly what you wanted to do with Episode 100?
If you go back to the beginning of Season 2, the very first episode, there’s a moment in there that I set up and we in fact we deliver in the hundredth episode. What was really interesting in looking at the hundredth episode, because it’s obviously Callen-centric, was the amount of his backstory that we covered in those other 75 episodes. It’s very rewarding as a writer to have the opportunity to fill out someone’s story like this, as it just keeps getting bigger, and bigger, and bigger, and it’s really, really fulfilling for the actors to be able to take all of that backstory and focus it in on this one episode. Everyone who’s seen it, the first thing they say — every time and without exception — is, “This is Chris O’Donnell’s best work.” He is fantastic in this episode. It’s very powerful and you will be affected by the ending. You really will.

TVLINE | When the script for an episode like this starts circulating to the cast, does Chris ever, like, pick up the phone or get a message to you saying, “Shane, this is dynamite”?
It does happen. Chris is just an absolute professional. He comes prepared every day, he’s someone who walks in and knows his material. But beyond being word-perfect, he is right inside the character and the moment, and understands where it comes from. In a particular episode, he might reference something that happened 25 episodes ago, he’s just masterful at it. And so, yeah, when he saw this script he said, “Wow” – and it was the wow of, “I can’t wait to get into this because it’s big, it’s tough, I’m going to have to work really hard as an actor. This is challenging, and I love that challenge.” And he absolutely delivered.

TVLINE | And in this episode you’re not just dangling any new piece of the Callen puzzle in front of us. You’re introducing someone who could possibly be his father?
There is a line in the episode where a particular man says, “I am your father.” So, yeah, it was a really interesting episode to write. The production crew just totally nailed it, and there are some great action sequences in it. If you watch the first minute of the show [embedded below], you will have to watch the rest. After the credits, we go back eight hours and you’ll see the day unfold, taking us back up to that point. The first minute of the show is very shocking — two of our people, we don’t know if they’re dead or alive.

Loading video...

RELATED | NCIS: Los Angeles Spoilers — Nell’s Got a Gun!

TVLINE | The Comescu clan rears its head again, like a bad penny. Reznikov, N.Who does this latest wrinkle agitate more, Callen or possibly Hetty?
It certainly agitates both of them — Hetty for the reason that she doesn’t want Callen to know what’s going on. And when Callen then sort of breaks protocol a little, Hetty is very concerned about that. It’s one thing to go to Romania and poke the hornet’s nest. It’s another thing to have the hornet’s nest drop into your lap in L.A.

TVLINE | You told me at the start of this season that you were going to be doing something that a show like this doesn’t necessarily do a lot, with Kensi and Deeks — and sure enough, these past few weeks caught me off guard. You really are doing some interesting character work with those two.
Well, they’re such interesting characters — the dynamic between them is really powerful and there’s amazing chemistry. There’s a fan base out there who love these kinds of relationships within series like this, and it’s always challenging to make it fresh and different.

TVLINE | But like I told Eric Christian Olsen over the summer, this is an instance where the female almost wanted it more than the male, that it was Deeks with his walls up.
It was a conscious decision on our part to do two things. One was to not to go down that path that you just described, and to be different. The other thing we wanted to do is to move the relationship, from time to time, and surprise the audience by how quickly things suddenly moved along. We’ve done that with that spontaneous kiss at the end of last season, and then putting Deeks in all of that jeopardy. The relationship now can’t go back to normal because things have changed, and we play that out through the first 10 episodes of the season in a fairly big way. Then there’s quite a shocking moment in Episode 10 that throws everything awry, and then for the next eight or so episodes it’s Kensi and Deeks and their relationship is in some serious trouble, and then there’s very much a big, big, big shock around Episode 18 for both of them, one that shakes their relationship again. This is definitely the season of Kensi and Deeks.

TVLINE | Do you care to rule out that either of the big shocks are dictated by Daniela Ruah’s real-life pregnancy?
I will definitely, and utterly, and totally rule that out. The pregnancy does not play into their storyline at all.

TVLINE | I was gonna say — I took health class, and it would take some magic.
Yeah. Let’s put that thought, rumor, suggestion to rest. Kensi is not carrying Deeks’ baby. She’s not carrying anyone’s baby on the screen.

TVLINE | Oh, good for saying that — because otherwise people would read between the lines.
Yeah, they might think it’s Callen’s!

Want more scoop on NCIS: Los Angeles, or for any other show? Email insideline@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. Nicotine says:

Is it wrong that I don’t give a crap what happens to Callen or whomever is kidnapped? I just wants Kensi & Deeks!!!

2. Natalie says:

I.absolutely.LOVE the Comescu angle!! Many thanks to Shane et al. for keeping alive what has become THE best arc for NCIS:la. This clan we all love to hate is clearly deeply entrenched in Callen’s past, present & even future. I wouldn’t mind at all if his quest to get to the bottom of all this takes us to Series’ End!!

3. Izzy says:

Callen’s dad can’t be just anyone! It will be some famous name and a big deal when it eventually reveals. Beside Comescu probably just screwing with Callen.

4. Garrett B says:

“This is definitely the season of Kensi and Deeks”. Where have I heard that before on a NCIS related show?

5. TZ McCann says:

I can’t hear the show. We’ve given up watching cause music is louder than the words

6. Grace says:

I can’t wait for this episode. Chris O’Donnell is my favorite character on the show. I am excited to learn more about his past. I enjoyed Season 2 (and beginning of Season 3) because it really dived into Callen’s past. Let’s be honest. Deeks and Kensi are great for the humor of the show. But Callen is the heart of the show. He is like Gibbs, a man of many layers! Oh and I like the Alias format….showing us what happened and going back in time.

7. Mandy says:

They are all important for the show, all the main characters. I would miss any of Callen, Sam, Kensi, Deeks, Hetty, Nell, Eric. Each of them has brought something to the story. It is true that Callen is the heart of the story, but he could not carry this by himselft in a series. It is a show about relationships, and all these well established relationships are also the heart of the story.
    Kensi and Deeks are a big part of it, as they have managed as a couple to be different from other couples in similar shows, in a way that has put them somewhere very high on fan’s otp list. The two actors have amazing chemistry, you can totally buy anything they want to sell :)

8. Georgia says:

Don’t say its the season of Kensi and Deeks! Thats what was said about Ziva and Tony last season and look whats happened there, you’ll jinx it!

9. Sharon says:

Callen is my favorite.I’m anticipating a good show. I don’t like Deeks. I wish he would get cleaned up. Shave and hair cut!

10. barbara says:

i agree was good casting of castles dad. for me callen and hettie are the best of the show i wish they would bring the psycoligist guy back like him too. in my opinion deeks in dire need of a haircut and needs to not be so childish. i want to no more about callen so looking forward to see him shine. would like to no more about hettie too.

11. april says:

Chris is perfect! The best actor in show. Congratulations, Chris. I love you!

12. Jessica says:

Chris deserved to be nominated for an Emmy. His performance was spectacular.

13. Daisy Day says:

This is Chris O’Donnell’s Emmy reel! Without Chris O’Donnell there wouldn’t be a show. He is the best! I love the chemistry between him and Hetty. Love Deeks and Kensi and also Nell and Eric. Fabulous cast!

• Jessica says:

Chris is the best. Without it NCIS: Los Angeles would be nothing. Love his work deserves to be nominated for an Emmy.

14. barbara says:

last night was excellent episode. callen is indeed the best and also hetty they both make this show. the ending was so emotional. finally tuesday nights shows were great ncis superb as was person of interest

15. MIMI says:

HEY GUY’S ARE YOU ALL FORGETTING ABOUT LL COOL J? HE’S WONDERFUL AND IS A BIG PART OF THE SHOW!! HE IS A SWEET AND LOVEING PERSON TOO!!

16. Carlos says:

Must be awkward seeing Ruah (Kenzi) is engaged to Deeks older brother in real life.. Just saying

17. barbara says:

well that’s just great read on eonline that someone from the show will die season end. what’s wrong with these shows killing off peoole

18. Rosie says:

I luv callen also but u gotta give props to the whole group due to chemistry if there is no chemistry this show would of never made it so just don’t favor just one I even think the geek who like to wear shorts due to his heritage is getting hotter very handsome but so is everyone on the show is …..I remember my son introduced my husband & I to listen to L L Cool J (Lady Love) thinking we probably wont like it but his rap we did like …..cauz we r Rock Fans/Pop so if anybody is reading this plz give the other cast members applause also BRAVO!!!!!!!!!!!

19. barbara says:

ok rosie lol Bravo!!!! to the rest of cast. i think the geek guy is eric and i like nell his partner. last episode she was wearing her hair done it looked good. i miss the guy who was a psycologist he came back a few times but that was it. tues nites are great ncis ncisla person of interest luv it

20. Ellie says: