Fox (Essentially) Cancels Us & Them

Get More: Cancellations, News

US AND THEM: Gavin (Jason Ritter, L) and Stacey (Alexis Bledel, R) are a pair of young lovers whose path to happily-ever-after is complicated by the screwed-up circus of people closest to them in the new comedy US AND THEM premiering this fall on FOX. ©2013 Fox Broadcasting Co. Cr: David Giesbrecht/FOXFox is breaking up with the long-distance-romance comedy Us & Them.

The network, unhappy with the quality of scripts as they were coming in, is basically cancelling the midseason sitcom, TVLine has learned.

Fox still plans to air the six already-produced episodes but will not move forward with the rest of the series’ 13-episode order.

RELATED | Fox Orders Unscripted Comedy Slide Show From Producer Steve Carell

Us & Them is a single-camera adaptation of the British Gavin & Stacey, in which two very different people try to make a long-distance relationship work. The American version’s cast includes Jason Ritter (Parenthood), Alexis Bledel (Gilmore Girls) and Jane Kaczmarek (Malcolm in the Middle).

The cast and crew went on an early hiatus last week; that hiatus will now become permanent.

VIDEO | Watch Trailers for New Fox Shows, Including Us & Them, Almost Human and More

The decision marks the second time this season (and this week) that the network decided to pull an upcoming series before it airs; the animated comedy Murder Police got the ax on Wednesday.

Tags: ,

Comments (75)

• I’m bummed! I was really looking forward to this show!!

Comment by Elyse – October 11, 2013 04:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My sentiments exactly.

Comment by Nessie – October 11, 2013 05:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes! Was looking forward to this more than any other show this season. Such a bummer.

Comment by james – October 11, 2013 05:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Boooo! It’d beat DADS and suit the line-up nicely on Tuesday!

Comment by Brock – October 11, 2013 06:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I love the cast and the source material and basic premise, but the promos released back at upfronts just looked really unfunny. I was hoping that was just a fluke, but I guess not.

Comment by wordsmith – October 12, 2013 01:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Me too!

Comment by Loz – October 12, 2013 05:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Noooo. :(

Comment by jimbo – October 11, 2013 04:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bummer, this is the only one of Fox’s new shows I was actually planning on watching.

Comment by Kristina – October 11, 2013 04:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m bummed too. However, you should really watch Brooklyn Nine-Nine, it’s amazing!

Comment by Philipp – October 12, 2013 12:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • not to mention they order MORE scripts of Dads but less of Us & Them? damn it!!

Comment by Elyse – October 11, 2013 05:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Dads may not be a good show but everyone talks about it. There’s an old saying that there’s no such thing as bad publicity. Dads not being cancelled yet proves that old saying is true.

Comment by Scott – October 12, 2013 06:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • And thus this becomes The Goodwin Games of this season.

Comment by Babar – October 11, 2013 05:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • that was a good show. Same with Traffic Light two years ago. FOX is ruthless with comedies.

Comment by joaopedromillan – October 11, 2013 05:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That was a good show. Part of e wonders if Fox is actually aware of what people think is funny, or if they are just making it up as they go along.

Comment by writingmyownway – October 11, 2013 06:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • BOOOOOOO. this is sad. was really looking forward to this

Comment by João Amaral – October 11, 2013 05:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hopefully Jason heads back to Parenthood!

Comment by Kelly – October 11, 2013 05:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed

Comment by Brock – October 11, 2013 06:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I hope so too!! :)

Comment by Robin – October 11, 2013 06:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No, thank you

Comment by Maris – October 11, 2013 07:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • oh dear god no. i lost count on how often that releationship didn’t work out. but I bet Lauren Graham is already talking Katims ear off to get Ritter back. The older an actress gets the more she wants to get paired up with the young stud.

Comment by Arien – October 12, 2013 12:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yeah but their relationship keeps not working out because Jason Ritter films pilots every spring that get picked up only to be quickly cancelled. Parenthood could have avoided all of this by making him a series regular from the getgo. I’m guessing stupid NBC wouldn’t give them the money for it.

Comment by Lauren – October 12, 2013 07:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • why did they bring him back 3 times if they don’t whether he or the show will be available in the following year? I don’t blame Jason, its the writers/producers who turned this particular story into a mess.

Comment by Arien – October 12, 2013 11:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes and get rid of everybody hates Raymond, lol.

Comment by Loz – October 12, 2013 05:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Ditto!

Comment by sarah – October 12, 2013 01:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I love Ray Ramono on the show. He’s a great fit and I love his relationship with Max.

Comment by liz – October 15, 2013 08:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Nah, I’m okay. More Sarah/Hank friendship times uninterrupted by Mark drama.

Comment by Mellie – October 15, 2013 04:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m disappointed this show is canceled already!! I thought Alexis Bledel & Jason Ritter looked cute in the trailers and I just love them as actors so much. BUT I really really hope it means yes, Mark can come back to Parenthood somehow. Mark/Sarah are perfect and I want them to be endgame. But the writing will need to do some jumping jacks to make us feel satisfied and sure Sarah won’t stray for Hank or Seth or anyone else again. Just get them married and make him a regular. Even Xolo Mariduena (who plays Victor) adores him – give him storylines with characters other than just Sarah, etc. Max could start high school and be in his class in season 6. Things could be so interesting.

Comment by EmilyK – October 24, 2013 06:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m very disappointed. I was really looking forward to this.

Comment by Chris – October 11, 2013 05:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well this sucks.

Comment by Williwasnt – October 11, 2013 05:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just watch the original Gavin and Stacey, it’s freaking hilarious!

Comment by KND – October 11, 2013 05:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They’d have about the same number of episodes in the first season as this one

Comment by Riana – October 12, 2013 10:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dang I really wanted to watch this one!!!

Comment by kim – October 11, 2013 05:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So Jason Ritter can come back to Parenthood now? :)

Comment by S – October 11, 2013 05:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have givn up on Parenthood because of Ray Ramano. So much else on Thursday nights at 10pm. And if I have to watch Parenthood on VOD and not be able to skip over his scenes it’s not worth it!

Comment by Tony – October 11, 2013 05:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You have given up on the entire show because of him? That’s a little extreme. Ray is in MAYBE 8 minutes of each episode, if that. He barely gets any screen time. There is so much more going on in the series than him. So quitting a show over a character who doesn’t even get 10 minutes an episode is extreme and ridiculous if you ask me.

Comment by Eric – October 11, 2013 05:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Boo, Fox! Just boo! I was looking forward to this one more than anything else you have planned this season. Boo…

Comment by Cort – October 11, 2013 05:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well that sucks for Jason Ritter. The guy just can’t catch a break, can he? I’m really hoping that he DOESN’T return to Parenthood, though. I’m pretty much over them going back and forth with the Sarah/Mark relationship. Just leave it alone. If Sarah ends up with anybody, have it be Hank or just bring in someone new. The back and forth with Sarah and Mark has just been too much. Hopefully they’ll realize that and not bring him back.

Comment by Eric – October 11, 2013 05:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Exactly, I really hope he doesn’t come back because that would just mean another season of Mark drama for Sarah

Comment by Maris – October 11, 2013 07:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • absolutely agree. who would believe there is a happily ever after in the cards for them? but its a Katims show and he is obsessed with Ritter, so …

Comment by Arien – October 12, 2013 01:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Because Fox has so many great shows? Really dumb idea.

The cast sounds amazing!

Comment by David4 – October 11, 2013 05:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well I guess there’ll be no reason to watch that then…

Comment by Robin – October 11, 2013 06:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This sucks! I’ve been waiting for this show. What the point in airing it? Who’s going to watch it knowing it’s already cancelled?

Comment by Steph – October 11, 2013 06:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Or – what happens if people do watch it when it does air? What if the ratings for it turn out to be better than the shows they are ordering more scripts for right now instead of producing more of Us & Them? Seems silly to essentially can it before you even know whether people will watch it. From what I’ve read they don’t think it fits with their other comedies, but it seems like it would pair nicely with “The New Girl”.
      I was really looking forward to seeing this show and I was bummed when it didn’t make the Fall lineup… It’s one of the few comedies this tv season that I thought looked good in the promo videos. It’s really unfortunate they now just plan to burn it off…

Comment by Tess – October 11, 2013 07:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That’s a bummer.

Comment by Sara – October 11, 2013 06:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jason just don’t have the luck. I was really hoping his drama about medicals in a prison would have been picked up last season by NBC.

Comment by Fernando – October 11, 2013 07:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Maybe Jason can go back to Parenthood and Alexis can do another stint on Mad Men! That would be sweet!

Comment by Cody Skaggs – October 11, 2013 07:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I saw the preview for this and really enjoyed it. None of the new fall comedies are really that great, and I’m surprised FOX would cancel this one before it even airs.

Comment by Lacey – October 11, 2013 08:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Me too, they have nothing better. Why not just hire some new writers for the next several episodes?

Comment by David4 – October 11, 2013 08:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was so excited for this show! :( And I’m still mad at FOX for doing this to The Goodwin Games last year.

Comment by erin – October 11, 2013 09:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If they’re going to do this, they should at least give the creative team time to write one or two more episodes that can wrap up the story they were telling. Especially since they still plan to air it. They could advertise it as a comedy miniseries or something. There’s no point in even watching it now that we know it’ll end after 6 episodes without a proper ending.

Comment by JAS – October 11, 2013 09:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wouldn’t it be funny if it became a hit and everyone ignored this bad buzz killed it news?!

Comment by DavidSask – October 11, 2013 09:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Not much they can do if the cast and crew has already found new work by the time it airs.

Comment by mel – October 11, 2013 10:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I didnt think the show sounded interesting but was willing to check it out for the cast.

Comment by Tee – October 11, 2013 09:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I saw the pilot and it was awful, so this news isn’t surprising to me at all.

Comment by Melanie – October 12, 2013 12:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please tell me this means Jason Ritter can get back to Parenthood STAT! I have already been dearly missing him this season, even among a cast of greats. I just believe in him and Sarah as end game. Please tell me this could happen!

Comment by Kat – October 12, 2013 01:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thumbs up FOX! The pilot was.. well not really funny. It was a cute show but more on the drama side than an actual comedy and the chemistry wasn’t there between the leads. Like the awful Goodwin Games its better to cancel ahead than drag an inferior show to the screen.

Comment by jenny – October 12, 2013 02:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Gavin & Stacey and was looking forward to this since the casting seemed really well done (mostly). So this is disappointing. It seemed like the perfect companion to air with New Girl. I do not understand Fox on this one.

Comment by Josh Emerson – October 12, 2013 03:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wasn’t one of the writers hired based on his future-Seinfeld-plots twitter feed? Maybe not the best idea hiring writers based on their twitter feeds

Comment by Jay – October 12, 2013 03:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nooooo! I was really looking forward to this one and seeing Alexis on the screen again!

Comment by Lola – October 12, 2013 05:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Darn it ! Although I love Gavin & Stacey, the promo looked promising. The original BBC series is only 6 episodes a series (like most British telly), not sure why it had to be a 13 ep series. I really would recommend watching the original, simply some of the best television ever.

Comment by Deb – October 12, 2013 05:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • bummed they canceled it before it airs. I hope Jason Ritter will return to Parenthood later this season.

Comment by joey – October 12, 2013 07:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ahhhh no. I really wanted this show. Dads is so awful Fox is dumb

Comment by Jo – October 12, 2013 08:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I never even heard of this show before now. They obviously did a great job with advertising.

Comment by TobyG. – October 12, 2013 10:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It hadn’t aired yet…it was a mid-season replacement

Comment by Chris – October 13, 2013 08:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Gavin & Stacey wasnt really that great….plus most British shows get turned to mostly unwatchable junk once they try to remake them here so, no big surprise here

Comment by Curt – October 12, 2013 12:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Has FOX read the Mindy Projects scripts lately?

Comment by MikeyM – October 12, 2013 01:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That is too bad! I wanted to watch as I love Alexis and Jason.
    Note to Jason Katmis bring Jason back to Parenthood and have him and Sarah get married! :)

Comment by sarah – October 12, 2013 01:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As a Mark ans Sarah shipper on Parenthood, I’m pretty hopeful

Comment by LilAngel – October 12, 2013 10:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Maybe Showtime can find room for Jason Ritter on Masters of Sex. I would LOVE to see him work with Lizzy Caplan again!

Comment by Cynthia – October 15, 2013 04:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This was the only new show I was looking forward to. Loved the cast, loved the original Gavin & Stacey. A lot of people were excited for it – Why not just get new writers in?

Comment by Sims – October 15, 2013 05:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SERIOUSLY??!! It looked adorable!

Comment by liz – October 15, 2013 08:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dang. At least give it a chance to air first, Fox. That’s harsh.

Comment by Zoe – October 15, 2013 09:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just like I suspected:
    T.J Miller(Robbie from Gravity Falls) was on “Goodwin Games”.
    Jason Ritter (Dipper from Gravity Falls) is on “Us and Them”
    To say nothing about Gravity Falls itself.
    Coincidence? I think not!

Comment by FallerWanderer – October 16, 2013 12:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You have got to be kidding!!! Was really looking forward to this show! Great cast!!! Come on Fox!!!

Comment by Gina Young – November 3, 2013 05:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so upset by this, I was looking forward for the better part of a year to see this #&$*9#$&* show and they have cancelled it prior to even showing ONE episode? What a bunch of idiots. Why not get better writers? I love the co-stars of this show and have wanted to see Alexis in something great (or anything watchable on tv) since GG….:(

Comment by Kitty – March 30, 2014 03:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post