Fox (Essentially) Cancels Us & Them

US AND THEM: Gavin (Jason Ritter, L) and Stacey (Alexis Bledel, R) are a pair of young lovers whose path to happily-ever-after is complicated by the screwed-up circus of people closest to them in the new comedy US AND THEM premiering this fall on FOX. ©2013 Fox Broadcasting Co. Cr: David Giesbrecht/FOXFox is breaking up with the long-distance-romance comedy Us & Them.

The network, unhappy with the quality of scripts as they were coming in, is basically cancelling the midseason sitcom, TVLine has learned.

Fox still plans to air the six already-produced episodes but will not move forward with the rest of the series’ 13-episode order.

RELATED | Fox Orders Unscripted Comedy Slide Show From Producer Steve Carell

Us & Them is a single-camera adaptation of the British Gavin & Stacey, in which two very different people try to make a long-distance relationship work. The American version’s cast includes Jason Ritter (Parenthood), Alexis Bledel (Gilmore Girls) and Jane Kaczmarek (Malcolm in the Middle).

The cast and crew went on an early hiatus last week; that hiatus will now become permanent.

VIDEO | Watch Trailers for New Fox Shows, Including Us & Them, Almost Human and More

The decision marks the second time this season (and this week) that the network decided to pull an upcoming series before it airs; the animated comedy Murder Police got the ax on Wednesday.

1. Elyse says:

I’m bummed! I was really looking forward to this show!!

2. jimbo says:

Noooo. :(

3. Kristina says:

Bummer, this is the only one of Fox’s new shows I was actually planning on watching.

4. Elyse says:

not to mention they order MORE scripts of Dads but less of Us & Them? damn it!!

• Scott says:

Dads may not be a good show but everyone talks about it. There’s an old saying that there’s no such thing as bad publicity. Dads not being cancelled yet proves that old saying is true.

5. Babar says:

And thus this becomes The Goodwin Games of this season.

6. João Amaral says:

BOOOOOOO. this is sad. was really looking forward to this

7. Kelly says:

Hopefully Jason heads back to Parenthood!

• Robin says:

I hope so too!! :)

• Maris says:

No, thank you

• Arien says:

oh dear god no. i lost count on how often that releationship didn’t work out. but I bet Lauren Graham is already talking Katims ear off to get Ritter back. The older an actress gets the more she wants to get paired up with the young stud.

• Lauren says:

Yeah but their relationship keeps not working out because Jason Ritter films pilots every spring that get picked up only to be quickly cancelled. Parenthood could have avoided all of this by making him a series regular from the getgo. I’m guessing stupid NBC wouldn’t give them the money for it.

• Arien says:

why did they bring him back 3 times if they don’t whether he or the show will be available in the following year? I don’t blame Jason, its the writers/producers who turned this particular story into a mess.

• Loz says:

Yes and get rid of everybody hates Raymond, lol.

• Mellie says:

Nah, I’m okay. More Sarah/Hank friendship times uninterrupted by Mark drama.

• EmilyK says:

I’m disappointed this show is canceled already!! I thought Alexis Bledel & Jason Ritter looked cute in the trailers and I just love them as actors so much. BUT I really really hope it means yes, Mark can come back to Parenthood somehow. Mark/Sarah are perfect and I want them to be endgame. But the writing will need to do some jumping jacks to make us feel satisfied and sure Sarah won’t stray for Hank or Seth or anyone else again. Just get them married and make him a regular. Even Xolo Mariduena (who plays Victor) adores him – give him storylines with characters other than just Sarah, etc. Max could start high school and be in his class in season 6. Things could be so interesting.

8. Chris says:

I’m very disappointed. I was really looking forward to this.

9. Williwasnt says:

Well this sucks.

10. KND says:

Just watch the original Gavin and Stacey, it’s freaking hilarious!

11. kim says:

Dang I really wanted to watch this one!!!

12. S says:

So Jason Ritter can come back to Parenthood now? :)

13. Tony says:

I have givn up on Parenthood because of Ray Ramano. So much else on Thursday nights at 10pm. And if I have to watch Parenthood on VOD and not be able to skip over his scenes it’s not worth it!

• Eric says:

You have given up on the entire show because of him? That’s a little extreme. Ray is in MAYBE 8 minutes of each episode, if that. He barely gets any screen time. There is so much more going on in the series than him. So quitting a show over a character who doesn’t even get 10 minutes an episode is extreme and ridiculous if you ask me.

14. Cort says:

Boo, Fox! Just boo! I was looking forward to this one more than anything else you have planned this season. Boo…

15. Eric says:

Well that sucks for Jason Ritter. The guy just can’t catch a break, can he? I’m really hoping that he DOESN’T return to Parenthood, though. I’m pretty much over them going back and forth with the Sarah/Mark relationship. Just leave it alone. If Sarah ends up with anybody, have it be Hank or just bring in someone new. The back and forth with Sarah and Mark has just been too much. Hopefully they’ll realize that and not bring him back.

• Maris says:

Exactly, I really hope he doesn’t come back because that would just mean another season of Mark drama for Sarah

• Arien says:

absolutely agree. who would believe there is a happily ever after in the cards for them? but its a Katims show and he is obsessed with Ritter, so …

16. David4 says:

Because Fox has so many great shows? Really dumb idea.

The cast sounds amazing!

17. Robin says:

Well I guess there’ll be no reason to watch that then…

18. Steph says:

This sucks! I’ve been waiting for this show. What the point in airing it? Who’s going to watch it knowing it’s already cancelled?

• Tess says:

Or – what happens if people do watch it when it does air? What if the ratings for it turn out to be better than the shows they are ordering more scripts for right now instead of producing more of Us & Them? Seems silly to essentially can it before you even know whether people will watch it. From what I’ve read they don’t think it fits with their other comedies, but it seems like it would pair nicely with “The New Girl”.
      I was really looking forward to seeing this show and I was bummed when it didn’t make the Fall lineup… It’s one of the few comedies this tv season that I thought looked good in the promo videos. It’s really unfortunate they now just plan to burn it off…

19. Sara says:

That’s a bummer.

20. Fernando says:

Jason just don’t have the luck. I was really hoping his drama about medicals in a prison would have been picked up last season by NBC.

21. Cody Skaggs says:

Maybe Jason can go back to Parenthood and Alexis can do another stint on Mad Men! That would be sweet!

22. Lacey says:

I saw the preview for this and really enjoyed it. None of the new fall comedies are really that great, and I’m surprised FOX would cancel this one before it even airs.

23. erin says:

I was so excited for this show! :( And I’m still mad at FOX for doing this to The Goodwin Games last year.

24. JAS says:

If they’re going to do this, they should at least give the creative team time to write one or two more episodes that can wrap up the story they were telling. Especially since they still plan to air it. They could advertise it as a comedy miniseries or something. There’s no point in even watching it now that we know it’ll end after 6 episodes without a proper ending.

25. DavidSask says:

Wouldn’t it be funny if it became a hit and everyone ignored this bad buzz killed it news?!

26. Tee says:

I didnt think the show sounded interesting but was willing to check it out for the cast.

27. Melanie says:

I saw the pilot and it was awful, so this news isn’t surprising to me at all.

28. Kat says:

Please tell me this means Jason Ritter can get back to Parenthood STAT! I have already been dearly missing him this season, even among a cast of greats. I just believe in him and Sarah as end game. Please tell me this could happen!

29. jenny says:

Thumbs up FOX! The pilot was.. well not really funny. It was a cute show but more on the drama side than an actual comedy and the chemistry wasn’t there between the leads. Like the awful Goodwin Games its better to cancel ahead than drag an inferior show to the screen.

30. Josh Emerson says:

I love Gavin & Stacey and was looking forward to this since the casting seemed really well done (mostly). So this is disappointing. It seemed like the perfect companion to air with New Girl. I do not understand Fox on this one.

31. Jay says:

Wasn’t one of the writers hired based on his future-Seinfeld-plots twitter feed? Maybe not the best idea hiring writers based on their twitter feeds

32. Lola says:

Nooooo! I was really looking forward to this one and seeing Alexis on the screen again!

33. Deb says:

Darn it ! Although I love Gavin & Stacey, the promo looked promising. The original BBC series is only 6 episodes a series (like most British telly), not sure why it had to be a 13 ep series. I really would recommend watching the original, simply some of the best television ever.

34. joey says:

bummed they canceled it before it airs. I hope Jason Ritter will return to Parenthood later this season.

35. Jo says:

Ahhhh no. I really wanted this show. Dads is so awful Fox is dumb

36. TobyG. says:

I never even heard of this show before now. They obviously did a great job with advertising.

37. Curt says:

Gavin & Stacey wasnt really that great….plus most British shows get turned to mostly unwatchable junk once they try to remake them here so, no big surprise here

38. MikeyM says:

Has FOX read the Mindy Projects scripts lately?

39. sarah says:

That is too bad! I wanted to watch as I love Alexis and Jason.
    Note to Jason Katmis bring Jason back to Parenthood and have him and Sarah get married!

40. LilAngel says:

As a Mark ans Sarah shipper on Parenthood, I’m pretty hopeful

41. Cynthia says:

Maybe Showtime can find room for Jason Ritter on Masters of Sex. I would LOVE to see him work with Lizzy Caplan again!

42. Sims says:

This was the only new show I was looking forward to. Loved the cast, loved the original Gavin & Stacey. A lot of people were excited for it – Why not just get new writers in?

43. liz says:

SERIOUSLY??!! It looked adorable!

44. Zoe says:

Dang. At least give it a chance to air first, Fox. That’s harsh.

45. FallerWanderer says:

Just like I suspected:
    T.J Miller(Robbie from Gravity Falls) was on “Goodwin Games”.
    Jason Ritter (Dipper from Gravity Falls) is on “Us and Them”
    To say nothing about Gravity Falls itself.
    Coincidence? I think not!

46. Gina Young says:

You have got to be kidding!!! Was really looking forward to this show! Great cast!!! Come on Fox!!!

47. Kitty says:

I am so upset by this, I was looking forward for the better part of a year to see this #&$*9#$&* show and they have cancelled it prior to even showing ONE episode? What a bunch of idiots. Why not get better writers? I love the co-stars of this show and have wanted to see Alexis in something great (or anything watchable on tv) since GG….:(

48. TellyGeek says:

Not surprised re: Us & Them — I mean seriously, you can’t re-do Gavin and Stacey especially since Ruth Jones made the show literally and figuratively!! Love Ritter and Bledel to pieces (individually) though,,,,