ABC Family Renews The Fosters for Season 2

The Fosters renewedABC Family has no plans to relinquish custody of The Fosters: The network has renewed the freshman sleeper for a second season.

RELATED | TVLine’s Cable Renewal Scorecard: What’s Returning? What’s Cancelled? What’s on the Bubble?

The show, which wrapped the first half of Season 1 in August, ranked as the No. 1 new cable series of the summer in viewers 12-34 (aka the network’s sweet spot).

Season 1b is set to premiere in January.

The Fosters has demonstrated its ability to build an audience, and the creative team’s compelling storytelling assures us that there will be more growth in upcoming seasons,” said ABC Family CCO Kate Juergens in a statement. “The show’s dynamic cast and groundbreaking storylines resonate with our core viewers and leave them wanting more.”

1. Leigh says:

Yayyyyy!!!

2. How many episodes, I wonder.

3. TobyG. says:

Ugh. They don’t renew the awesome Bunheads, but they give this much lesser-quality show another season. Sigh.

4. Elyse says:

yes!!!!! awesome news!

5. Aimee says:

Fantastic News!!! Such a great show!

6. Jax says:

It’s the little show that could! I readily admit that I expected the show to be cheesy and bad and I think a lot of other people were too. Well, I couldn’t have been more wrong. Good writing, good characters, and two extremely talented actresses bringing it all together.

7. I am so so happy!! One of the best shows of the moment, so cute and real. LOVE IT!

8. LDSK says:

Happy news!!! It started out as my guilty pleasure but I soon realized I had nothing to feel guilty about. It’s a really good show…and Teri Polo kicks @$$!

9. Jeff says:

Thank You ABC Family!!!!! Congratulations to everyone on the show. It’s fantastic and you earned it!

10. Jo says:

Have they announced anything about Twisted yet?

11. April says:

This seriously made my day. Big smile on my face! :-)

12. Dana says:

More Stef and Lena on my TV makes me Happy!!!

13. Mel says:

Based on the ratings and love for The Fosters, I’m surprised it took them this long to renew.

14. Cheryl says:

*does a happy dance* :-)

15. Lore says:

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS LOVE THIS SHOW

16. Tran 2.0 says:

Really hope that ABC Family should do the same thing with Twisted (fingers crossed).

17. Del says:

Wanted to hate the show but it not bad. I just waited to watch it. Tried hard not to help the demo at all. Jennifer Lopez is a fur hag and as she is such an animal murderer, I could not watch it live. I feel guilty even liking the show. So happy for Peter Paige and the rest of the cast/ crew though. Wonderful writing and great acting.

18. Columbus says:

So excited about this news!

19. Decided to watch the show, not expecting much, but glad I did. Nice family show

20. Jan Somers says:

Would like to see more screen time for the Social worker, Bill.

21. G says:

Happy for the fans of this show. Really wish ABC Family could have done the same thing for The Lying Game. I really wish they would provide an hour or two special for the shows that they cancel to reward the viewers who were loyal instead of just dropping a show with a ton of open questions. This has caused me and others I know to stop watching new shows on certain networks.

Maybe I will watch this show on DVD sometime in the future.

• Lani says:

I feel you on that, but at the same time many networks just drop shows with out any closure and it’s something that will continue to happen.

• Lisa says:

I totally miss The Lying Game. I do like this show, and I liked Bunheads, and I like Twisted. It sucks when a show I like gets cancelled. Happens all the time. I try not liking a show or waiting to watch a show til a 2nd season has been approved. Doesn’t always work. But I do wish that shows that get cancelled would have an actual “End” where every loose end is tied up and you have a sense of closure at the end. This “let us wait and decide to cancel it after a season ends” (with a sense of OMG now what) is wrong. Networks put these shows out there for us to watch and love and if they aren’t watched and loved fast enough they yank them away from us. They ought to care enough about their loyal viewers to give us closure at the end. So they decide to cancel a show we will be sad – but they ought to make one or two more episodes to tie up the loose ends.

22. Sharon says:

Absolutely LOVE THE FOSTERS. It has become my favorite television program & can’t wait for the start of the new programming for this awesome show !

23. Ms_meena says:

Totally in love with this show! its marvellous and very spectacular all at the same time. The writing, the directing and the beautiful characters, its one of the most impressive things I’ve watched in a while now. So happy for the whole crew getting renewed congrats!

24. Sash says:

I honestly didn’t expect much from The Fosters, but I’m happy to say it greatly exceeded my expectations. I love a tv show with characters that I can relate to, and that are relatable in general. I love that there are so many realistic issues that they have to work through, as expected with so many teens! They try to tackle every issue-even though some things happen that they don’t catch-like so many actual families and they give the greatest gifts any parent could give-love, support and a home.

25. Nicky says:

I am so excited to hear the news. I watched episode one yesterday, and did not go to bed until after 1:00am in the morning because I DESIRED to finished the series. love the storyline, the diversity, and each character. Can’t wait until January 2014.

26. Heather says:

I am so glad that I started watching this series! I have my DVR ready for season two! Can’t wait, my children and I watch it together.