ABC Family Renews The Fosters for Season 2

Get More: Renewals

The Fosters renewedABC Family has no plans to relinquish custody of The Fosters: The network has renewed the freshman sleeper for a second season.

RELATED | TVLine’s Cable Renewal Scorecard: What’s Returning? What’s Cancelled? What’s on the Bubble?

The show, which wrapped the first half of Season 1 in August, ranked as the No. 1 new cable series of the summer in viewers 12-34 (aka the network’s sweet spot).

Season 1b is set to premiere in January.

The Fosters has demonstrated its ability to build an audience, and the creative team’s compelling storytelling assures us that there will be more growth in upcoming seasons,” said ABC Family CCO Kate Juergens in a statement. “The show’s dynamic cast and groundbreaking storylines resonate with our core viewers and leave them wanting more.”

Comments (36)

• Yayyyyy!!!

Comment by Leigh – October 11, 2013 11:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How many episodes, I wonder.

Comment by steve o (@ravenwing263) – October 11, 2013 11:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ugh. They don’t renew the awesome Bunheads, but they give this much lesser-quality show another season. Sigh.

Comment by TobyG. – October 11, 2013 11:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s almost as if people prefer shows with diversity and characters they can relate to than otherwise.

Comment by G – October 11, 2013 11:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I loved Bunheads too but I don’t think this show has less quality than Bunheads. It’s really good, refreshing and important in my opinion.

Comment by Anna (@DorkyMaura) – October 11, 2013 11:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I wish they had renewed Bunheads too, but I wouldn’t call this a lesser-quality show. I think it’s good family programming, and I’m definitely glad to see it renwed

Comment by DreamRose311 – October 11, 2013 11:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No need to Bash The Fosters because of the erroneous cancellation of Bunheads. They are/were both great. If you want to bash anyone, bash ABC Family.

Comment by Mel – October 11, 2013 12:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Like jane by design too!! I LOVED THAT SHOW! i coudl relate soo much. Its like all shows where the characters have their heads on straight get cancled

Comment by chels – December 27, 2013 10:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • um this show is awesome!!!

Comment by kim – January 6, 2014 05:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • yes!!!!! awesome news!

Comment by Elyse – October 11, 2013 11:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YESSS

Comment by Tiffany – October 11, 2013 11:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fantastic News!!! Such a great show!

Comment by Aimee – October 11, 2013 11:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s the little show that could! I readily admit that I expected the show to be cheesy and bad and I think a lot of other people were too. Well, I couldn’t have been more wrong. Good writing, good characters, and two extremely talented actresses bringing it all together.

Comment by Jax – October 11, 2013 11:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so so happy!! One of the best shows of the moment, so cute and real. LOVE IT!

• Happy news!!! It started out as my guilty pleasure but I soon realized I had nothing to feel guilty about. It’s a really good show…and Teri Polo kicks @$$!

Comment by LDSK – October 11, 2013 11:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank You ABC Family!!!!! Congratulations to everyone on the show. It’s fantastic and you earned it!

Comment by Jeff – October 11, 2013 11:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Have they announced anything about Twisted yet?

Comment by Jo – October 11, 2013 11:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This seriously made my day. Big smile on my face! :-)

Comment by April – October 11, 2013 11:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • More Stef and Lena on my TV makes me Happy!!!

Comment by Dana – October 11, 2013 11:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Based on the ratings and love for The Fosters, I’m surprised it took them this long to renew.

Comment by Mel – October 11, 2013 12:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • *does a happy dance* :-)

Comment by Cheryl – October 11, 2013 02:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS LOVE THIS SHOW

Comment by Lore – October 11, 2013 02:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Really hope that ABC Family should do the same thing with Twisted (fingers crossed).

Comment by Tran 2.0 – October 11, 2013 03:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wanted to hate the show but it not bad. I just waited to watch it. Tried hard not to help the demo at all. Jennifer Lopez is a fur hag and as she is such an animal murderer, I could not watch it live. I feel guilty even liking the show. So happy for Peter Paige and the rest of the cast/ crew though. Wonderful writing and great acting.

Comment by Del – October 11, 2013 04:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So excited about this news!

Comment by Columbus – October 11, 2013 09:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Decided to watch the show, not expecting much, but glad I did. Nice family show

Comment by Chris Cringle – October 12, 2013 12:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Would like to see more screen time for the Social worker, Bill.

Comment by Jan Somers – October 14, 2013 12:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Happy for the fans of this show. Really wish ABC Family could have done the same thing for The Lying Game. I really wish they would provide an hour or two special for the shows that they cancel to reward the viewers who were loyal instead of just dropping a show with a ton of open questions. This has caused me and others I know to stop watching new shows on certain networks.

Maybe I will watch this show on DVD sometime in the future.

Comment by G – October 14, 2013 01:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I feel you on that, but at the same time many networks just drop shows with out any closure and it’s something that will continue to happen.

Comment by Lani – October 21, 2013 12:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I totally miss The Lying Game. I do like this show, and I liked Bunheads, and I like Twisted. It sucks when a show I like gets cancelled. Happens all the time. I try not liking a show or waiting to watch a show til a 2nd season has been approved. Doesn’t always work. But I do wish that shows that get cancelled would have an actual “End” where every loose end is tied up and you have a sense of closure at the end. This “let us wait and decide to cancel it after a season ends” (with a sense of OMG now what) is wrong. Networks put these shows out there for us to watch and love and if they aren’t watched and loved fast enough they yank them away from us. They ought to care enough about their loyal viewers to give us closure at the end. So they decide to cancel a show we will be sad – but they ought to make one or two more episodes to tie up the loose ends.

Comment by Lisa – October 21, 2013 01:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Absolutely LOVE THE FOSTERS. It has become my favorite television program & can’t wait for the start of the new programming for this awesome show !

Comment by Sharon – October 30, 2013 05:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Totally in love with this show! its marvellous and very spectacular all at the same time. The writing, the directing and the beautiful characters, its one of the most impressive things I’ve watched in a while now. So happy for the whole crew getting renewed congrats!

Comment by Ms_meena – October 30, 2013 02:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I honestly didn’t expect much from The Fosters, but I’m happy to say it greatly exceeded my expectations. I love a tv show with characters that I can relate to, and that are relatable in general. I love that there are so many realistic issues that they have to work through, as expected with so many teens! They try to tackle every issue-even though some things happen that they don’t catch-like so many actual families and they give the greatest gifts any parent could give-love, support and a home.

Comment by Sash – November 25, 2013 03:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so excited to hear the news. I watched episode one yesterday, and did not go to bed until after 1:00am in the morning because I DESIRED to finished the series. love the storyline, the diversity, and each character. Can’t wait until January 2014.

Comment by Nicky – November 30, 2013 11:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so glad that I started watching this series! I have my DVR ready for season two! Can’t wait, my children and I watch it together.

Comment by Heather – January 11, 2014 06:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post