Meg Ryan Eyes Starring Role in NBC Comedy

Meg Ryan Comedy NBCMeg Ryan is planning a return to the winsome, well-intentioned kind of role for which she became famous – but this time, it’s on TV instead of in the movies.

The When Harry Met Sally star is looking to return to television as the star of an NBC comedy, our sister site Deadline reports.

RELATED | NBC Plans Comedic Remington Steele Sequel

In the single-camera project, now being developed by the network and Universal TV, Ryan would play a pleasant, dotty mom who finds herself working for her former intern at a New York publishing house.

As our heroine tries to please her new boss, her teenage children, her estranged husband and her mother-in-law, she overcomplicates everything and generally makes matters worse.

Marc Lawrence (Miss Congeniality, Family Ties) will write the script and executive-produce with Ryan and her manager Jane Berliner.

Before she became a rom-com sweetheart in films like Sleepless in Seattle and You’ve Got Mail, Ryan began her career on the CBS soap As the World Turns. Her recent (and rare) TV appearances include Web Therapy and Curb Your Enthusiasm.

1. Dave S. says:

What? Can’t you find a picture of Meg Ryan?

2. Badpenny says:

An NBC comedy? I guess she doesn’t want to work on TV too long. :)

3. JC says:

Do you suppose this show can get higher than a 1.2 demo rating?

4. Mel says:

“return to the winsome, well-intentioned kind of role” …you might want to reword that…cause winsome, not so much anymore. Give me the name of her plastic surgeon so I know NOT to use him.

5. ajintexas says:

So the Joker from Batman is doing a comedy series on NBC now? Yawn.

6. Drew says:

I feel bad for Meg. She had such presence on screen and was someone that people could relate to, which is what people loved about her. Then she bought into the misguided idea that in order to keep working, she needed to get work done and it killed the “every-woman” appeal. It’s always been more sad than funny to me. When has this idea of getting a ton of plastic surgery ever worked out for the best?

TV comedies are right in her wheelhouse though. She was the queen of the rom-com back in the 90’s, but they don’t do so well in theaters anymore. Now those stories are turned into TV shows.

• rowan77 says:

She really does need to pay off of the fillers and botox. Christine Lahti had a face full of fillers on Law & Order: SVU a couple years back and it didn’t make her look younger, just oddly bloated. Catherine Bell looked bizarre on King and Maxwell with her weirdly hanging upper lip (botox gone wrong). Christine Baranski had a face full of fillers in the first half of the first season of The Good Wife. Her gorgeous looks were made puffy and unattractive. Note how she’s stopped the filler madness and looks like herself again. Now if Stockard Channing would do the same, that would be so great. She’s such a great talent and cute as a button at any age. The fillers are not complimentary.

TV is in your house, the screens are much bigger and it’s in HD. Meg’s overly filled and frozen face will not do well in everyone’s living room each week. She was adorable and would likely be adorable still without the fillers, just looking older and with some wrinkles. She needs to let them wear off, so nothing distracts from her being another one of her charming characters.

7. Jake says:

I would check it out, just to see Meg Ryan. I’ve never really understood why everyone has turned on her so much. Regardless of any mistakes that she made in her personal life, she has always been fun to watch onscreen.

• Meredith says:

I was always a fan, but now she looks so creepy that when I do see her it makes me really sad. That’s not what I look for in a comedy lead.

• Mel says:

The point is, she was so freakin’ adorable and cute, but due to ego and/or bowing to the pressures of Hollyweird, she felt it necessary to “freshen up” her face to continue to play the “winsome” young startlet. Unfortunately instead of looking fresh, she just looks like a clown. And since she had the work done, has her career taken off? No, not so much. I feel sorry for her. I used to love her too, but it’s pretty much impossible not to mention what she did to her face. Hey, I haven’t seen her in a while, maybe some of those Botox injections, fillers, etc. have worn off and she is looking a little more Meg Ryan. I guess we’ll soon see.

• MikeyM says:

I am with you. Still love her.

8. Mika says:

Haven’t they already done “The Walking Dead”?

9. Melissa says:

Loved her but i could never watch a show with her in it. She is horrible to look at. She ruined herself with all the cosmetic work she had done.

10. Kristine S. says:

Everyone who has made jokes about her appearance/cosmetic surgery, please go troll somewhere else. I’m so tired of everyone slamming how people look. Unless you are all dumb high-schoolers who don’t know any better or are perfect yourselves,please just be quiet. Thanks.

11. mandy says:

I’ll watch! I loved her movies. WHMS, SiS, and CIty of Angels are some of my favorites of all time. I’ve missed her.

12. Zach says:

Has plastic surgery EVER turned out well?

• rowan77 says:

Elizabeth Taylor (chin implant), Marilyn Monroe (nose) , Stana Katic (nose, teeth), Megan Fox (the nose job, before she went for the botox), Al Pacino( face lift in the early 1990s), Scarlett Johansson (nose) , Britney Spears (nose), Michael Jackson (FIRST nose job in the early 80s. He got Diana Ross’ nose and it looked great), Zac Efron (nose), Blake Lively (nose), Angelina Jolie (nose), Hallie Berry (nose) and Jennifer Aniston (nose)…

So yes, with the right surgeon and a patient who isn’t addicted to surgery, it turns out very well indeed.

• Badpenny says:

Go look at Stana Katic from her appearances on ER and earlier work. She used the money she made on ER to get her nose changed and a few other tweaks and it completely changed her career.

13. Jaycee says:

I am so sorry to see Meg trash herself with a trashy sitcom like this one. Shows like this are completing the destruction of the morals of our kids. I guess money still talks.