The Walking Dead's Danai Gurira Reacts to 'Fascinating' Rick/Michonne Romance Buzz

The Walking Dead Season 4It wasn’t just fans.

The Walking Dead‘s Danai Gurira was also picking up on something between Rick and Michonne towards the end of Season 3.

But that something was not romance.

RELATED | AMC Orders Walking Dead Spin-Off — Get Scoop on the Premise

“It’s very clear that she has respect for Rick,” the actress explains on the eve of the AMC smash’s Season 4 premiere (Sunday, 9/8c). “Seeing the way Rick handles himself, handles his community, handles his son is something that she can respect.”

Gurira calls the love chatter “fascinating,” acknowledging that Rick has had a positive influence on her reserved, borderline-mute character. “He demanded that she not keep functioning in a way that was completely non-communicative and obscure, and she adjusted to that,” she points out. “And I think she actually felt that was probably good for her. So I think that’s probably what fans are seeing.

“I don’t know whatever else they see,” she continues with a laugh. “They’d have to tell you.”

PHOTOS | Fall TV Spoiler Spectacular: Exclusive Pics and Scoops on The Walking Dead, Plus 44 Other Returning Favorites

Looking ahead, Gurira says viewers will witness a depending relationship between Michonne and the other man in her life — Carl.

“What you see in [Sunday’s opener] is that their friendship has grown,” she previews. “Their connection has grown. She likes to give him treats and keep him healthy, which is also what his father wants. It’s a nice progression.” (Reporting by Megan Masters)

1. the girl says:

I don’t see their relationship as romantic, because that’s not who they are as characters. But I see them being parents to Carl and developing a sacred connection because of that. So I don’t think there will be courting, or attempts at dating, or anything like what Glenn and Maggie have. Just one day, there will be this comfortable, yeah this is my partner type vibe between them and they will just kind of realize that they’ve evolved into being together.

• candanceifyouwan2 says:

I really like this theory!! It definitely looks like there will be a partnership/ friendship on the horizon (maybe some light flirting–as we’ve already seen). It is possible for two people to be together without “being” together. But in the real world, all these men and women would probably be going at it like rabbits. Smh. It’s the way of the world.

2. BJ says:

I don’t want them together. Rick has more healing to do, and Michonne’s character needs to be flushed out more. Besides, the writers of this show are horrible when it comes to writing relationships between a man and a woman. Maggie’s story depends too much on Glenn and Carol’s depends too much on Daryl’s. I think Michonne is too independent for that. I really hope they remain close friends and nothing else.

• veniascott says:

you make a very good point you are right rick needs some healing time befor he can form a romantic relationship with anybody.

• veniascott says:

good point

• raechel says:

I hope there is a closer relationship between the two. I think that there is already more than a friendship thing going on between those two, and if they try to stay friends and nothing else there will be that annoying what could have been theme going on. Besides, not all relationships are the same, it would be refreshing to see a different type of relationship between Rich and Michonne. Also, I can’t really see them hooking up with anyone else.

3. Abby says:

There’s only one reason people are floating romance queries about Rick and Michonne, and that’s the fact that she’s the only available woman in his group at this point, and Andrea’s dead. If she wasn’t, fans would be anticipating that romantic hookup, instead.

• ajintexas says:

Andrea is exactly who he hooked up with in the comics and Michonne with Tyrese. I will be disappointed if they do the Michonne/Rick combo. That means the show has been completely sold out to horrible writers that are hell bent on ruining the magic of the comic.

• Natasha says:

No, Andrea in my opinion is too weak for Rick. I think Andrea would make Rick weak. I was not impressed by her in the show. When she thought her sexiness would sway the Gov, she made sick. I like the idea that Michonne and Rick are friends. You can’t find that type of relationship in the real world between a man and a woman. Maybe they need a little fling?

• Mikael says:

I think it’s because she and Rick had a lot of chemistry; it’s not that she’s the only option.

4. KF says:

Andrea’s character was destroyed on the TV show, so even if she was alive I doubt there would be much discussion about a romance. Andrew and Danai have chemistry, while Laurie and Andrew (after three seasons) did not. It makes sense that Rick and Michonne would develop a friendship since they are close in the comic book.
    Do I think they should be a couple? I wouldn’t object, but as BJ mentioned, this show is horrible when it comes to writing relationships, so they need to leave these two wonderful characters as is. I am really glad that they are making Rick, Carl and Michonne become closer though.

5. venus says:

I hope in time it rick and Michonne does lead to a romantic relationship , I think it would be cool. I also hope this season rick becomes the real leader he can be, and become a real parent to carl I think he has had to much freedom these last couple of seasons, and kind need to be put in his place.

6. jason says:

Do the naysayers say no because she is a dark skinned black woman and he is a white man?

7. B.L says:

Andrew suggested a romance on the Katie show. He didn’t say with whom and Danai appeared to get uncomfortable. Next power couple in zombie land? I am all for it!