Ratings: Super Fun Night Drops, Ironside Dips, Arrow Matches Its Season 1 Average

LAUREN ASH, REBEL WILSON, LIZA LAPIRAOn a Wednesday when every piece of original programming was down week-to-week, ABC’s Super Fun Night took the biggest hit, dropping 29 and 22 percent to 6.7 million total viewers and a 2.5 demo rating.

What’s more, the Rebel Wilson comedy saw its retention out of Modern Family slide from 76 percent to 66 percent.

Opening ABC’s night, The Middle (8.1 mil/2.3) ticked down a tenth, while Back in the Game (6.4 mil/1.7) dipped two tenths. Modern Family (10.4 mil/3.8) was down 6 and 10 percent. And Nashville capped things off with 5.8 mil/1.7, down two tenths.

RELATED | Recap: Our Long Nashville Nightmare Is Over

Wednesday’s other Week 2 outing, NBC’s Ironside, was down 24 percent and two tenths to 5.4 mil/1.1, mostly maintaining its retention out of SVU (which dropped 9 and 20 percent to 6.3 mil/1.6). Revolution opened NBC’s night with 5.4 mil/1.5, down a few eyeballs and one tenth.

RELATED | SVU Vet Richard Belzer Switches to Recurring Status, As Munch Retires

Of Wednesday’s premieres, Arrow targeted 2.7 million viewers and a 0.9 demo rating, on par with its May finale (2.8 mil/0.9) and Season 1 average (3.2 mil/0.9) but down sharply from its year-ago debut (4.1 mil/1.3). The Tomorrow People premiered out of that with 2.3 mil/0.8, down two tenths from Supernatural‘s year-ago “regular” outing in the time slot (2.5 mil/1.0).

RELATED | Arrow Season 2 Premiere Recap: Finding Another Way
RELATED | Fall TV Poll: Are The Tomorrow People Something Special?

Over on CBS, Survivor (9.5 mil/2.4) was down 11 percent in the demo, Criminal Minds (10.9 mil/2.6) ticked down a tenth and CSI (8.8 mil/1.9) dipped two tenths (but still led its time slot).

Fox’s The X Factor (7.1 mil/2.2) dipped 8 percent and two tenths week-to-week.

RELATED | Michael Slezak’s X Factor Recap: Bring Me the Head of Paulina Rubio!

1. Amy says:

I can’t believe anyone would subject themselves to a second episode of Super Fun Night.

• Elyse says:

I haven’t watched any episodes but I heard the second episode was a million times better than the first.

• wrstlgirl says:

I don’t find Rebel Wilson remotely entertaining. In fact I think she’s disgusting.

• liz says:

I thought it was hilarious. And a bit like me and my friends (the show being a bit more hyperbolic lol)

• ChrisGa says:

Yeah, I watched the first ep and thought is was totally not funny in any way. Rebel Wilson’s been funny in other projects but when the best thing about a show is the opening credits–which are, admittedly, both fun and brilliant–you know you’re in trouble. And staying with ABC, it’s usually one of my go-to networks but so far I’m not blown away by any of their freshman offerings; I had high hopes for Trophy Wife and it’s just cute and not much else and Agents of SHIELD is missing something and I can’t put my finger on it. Frankly, I’d much rather be watching new seasons of Happy Endings and Body of Proof than those last two.

• Tom Charles says:

The first episode was terribad and I have no desire to watch a second, especially as wonderfully exhilarating as that promo for it was.

2. Zach says:

Keep Back in th Game alive!

3. Joe says:

I’m happy abc is tanking this year the pulled way too many shows in the past few years that I liked

4. Harry says:

Are those Nielsen boxes working? Every single show was down, but then again who can blame people for turning away from horrible shows like Ironside and Super Fun Friday. NBC needs to come up with an entire line up. Even SVU is in major trouble.

• John 1138 says:

Baseball?

• Liz says:

I guess the thinking might be, since there were new shows debuting – people left the shows that debuted last week and went to them. To understand if total viewership, it would probably need to be put in context of total viewership last night versus last Wednesday.

And this is prob not the response you were looking for :) you just got me thinking with that first question!

5. PEL says:

I am mixed about Back In The Game. I like the show well enough, I enjoy watching it, but I wouldn’t be too upset if it got cancelled.
    However, Why Ironside is still on air ???

• wrstlgirl says:

I expect Ironside to be pulled any day now but I’m curious. Have you watched the show or are you basing your opinion on what you’ve heard?

• PEL says:

I watched it…and I really really didn’t like it. Too clichés, too easy and lazy in its writing, I coudn’t relate or care of any of the character and The Case of The Week was one the weakest I saw on TV.
        The only thing I find interesting is the Flashbacks and how they used them. However, I know that will get old, at least to my taste, soon enough.

• wrstlgirl says:

I agree it was the flashbacks that kept me interested but that does get old. I’m actually kind of sick of this way of storytelling. OUAT is the worst, I don’t care about all the flashbacks they show us, I’d rather they just tell us the current story. Same with TVD, sick of the flashbacks. I couldn’t watch The Originals because of them. Sorry, got a little OT there :-)

6. HeatherC says:

Bummed for Nashville (I thought last night’s episode was great and this whole second season has been pretty strong overall so far) but it seems like most shows across the board were down last night. Rough ratings. =(

7. wrstlgirl says:

Happy to see that Revolution appears to have held up against the Arrow premiere. Last nights episode of Nashville was one of its best IMO. Ironside is really not a bad show, I just think that people are tired of remakes. Add to that the fact that most critics tagged it as a failure before it ever aired so it was doomed from the start.

8. JC says:

Disappointed Arrow isn’t higher, but I guess compared to the 0.3 Beauty & the Beast got on Monday it still looks fine.

9. HH says:

I’m almost afraid to post this given all the hate above ;) but I really like Super Fun Night. However, I don’t think it really fits in with the rest of the shows on ABC Wednesday nights. They’re all family shows and SFF is not really like that. It would go great with the New Girl/Mindy Project over on FOX. OR they could have kept Happy Endings and put it together with that. I do wish Rebel would give up trying to sound American and just use her own accent.

• Mikael says:

Super Fun Night, like Don’t Trust The B, Happy Endings, and Cougar Town are shows that just don’t/didn’t belong on ABC. Fortunately Cougar Town found new life on TBS which is a much better fit. I only wish Happy Endings had gotten the same reprieve.

• liz says:

totally agree. Super Fun Night should be with Mindy; similar tone, same audience. Actually I think they play back-to-back here in Canada. I never want to say anything deserves to be on FOX….but SFN would fit better there. Or with 2 Broke Girls.

10. Boiler says:

Too bad for Nashville. It has been good this season

11. wrstlgirl says:

If/when NBC drops Ironside my wish would be for them to move Revolution to that spot :-)

12. jejehi says:

People need to get on board with Arrow. It’s deliciously fun!

13. dan says:

Survivor is on fire this season! The “family” connection has added several lawyers of emotion to the show and the results have been fun to watch. Somewhere in LA Les Moonves is smiling (again). His CBS promos and sports’ announcers can continue to proclaim “America’s Most Watched Network” as each week of the new season ticks by.

14. THE TV CRITIC says:

Eff this demo crap! It’s a loser format and hides the true number of viewers.

• jj says:

Yup the demo isn’t the best indicator of how popular a show is. But, the demo is something that advertisers are interested in. Meaning that like it or not, the demo is important to the business model of television.

15. Drew says:

They shouldn’t have split up Arrow and Supernatural. It was a great pairing and a strong night for the CW.

• jj says:

Arrow and Supernatural are two of its strongest shows. It makes sense to pair them with new shows to encourage their viewers to watch the new shows. It gives them a stronger week than just having a strong night.

• Drew says:

Yeah but as we see here, what they accomplished was weakening the night overall. So instead of having a strong week or a strong night, they have neither. They have strong independent shows.

Back in the day, a show would be on the same night forever. Watching it was a ritual after a while, because that’s just what we did on a certain night. Friends was on Thursday. Buffy was on Tuesday. Going back, people remember what night those classic TV shows were on and that night became part of the icon. Today’s network schedulers have forgotten that element. They toss shows around from night to night every season, expecting the audience to follow. But it really takes something out of the experience. In the past three seasons, Supernatural has been on three different nights. Going back over its history, it’s been everywhere except Monday. And yeah, we follow it because it’s a great show, but honestly… I recorded it this week to watch with Arrow. Because they go together. Supernatural and The Originals is like having a burger with a side of salmon.

The CW might be wondering why their network is having a hard time catching on. It’s because they started by lacking diversity (every show was aimed at teenage girls) and now they lack stability. It’s hard to make something appointment TV if they keep rescheduling.

16. Notacareinthrworld says:

I think it’s safe to say that Ironside will be cancelled very soon, either this week if not next week. I never watched it because the whole “new perspective on life because he’s in a wheelchair” concept just felt stupid and cheesy. A 1.1 demo doesn’t help, and if that’s what the networks are basing their schedules, it’s a goner.