Will You Travel Back to ABC's Wonderland?

Get More: Polls, Premieres, Recaps

Once Upon a Time in Wonderland Series Premiere RecapABC spun a Once Upon a Time in Wonderland tale on Thursday, but was this trip down the rabbit hole worth taking?

RELATED | Once Upon a Time in Wonderland Season 1 Spoilers — Red Queen/Jafar Alliance

Before you chime in with your snappy judgements, here’s a brief refresher on the premiere: Alice (played by a charming Sophie Lowe) is from Victorian England, but finds herself in Wonderland at a young age. After repeated visits to the magical place, her dad has her locked up in an insane asylum where the doctors try to convince her everything she saw and did is all her head. She’s inclined to give in to them and their new memory-wiping treatment because the genie who captured her heart, Cyrus (Peter Gadiot), was killed by the Red Queen (Hollyoaks‘ Emma Rigby), leaving Alice in agony.

Or was he? The Knave of Hearts (Michael Socha of the UK’s Being Human), who’s been hanging out in Storybrooke, breaks into the asylum to tell Alice that Cyrus was spotted by the White Rabbit (voiced by John Lithgow).

RELATED | Once Upon a Time in Wonderland Bosses on Mad Hatter Plan

Through a portal provided by the fuzzy creature, the Knave and Alice travel back to Wonderland and end up in a mallow marsh. (Mmm, s’mores.) The Rabbit reveals that it was actually a door mouse who said he saw Cyrus at the Mad Hatter’s house, so they head there even though the Knave is reluctant to stay in Wonderland, being a wanted man. Alice gives him some incentive to help her: She’ll pay him in wishes. (Side note: How fun are those two? For a pilot, this cast sure has gelled quickly.) Along the way, he almost steals them, but ends up coming back and rescuing her from the hungry Cheshire Cat (voiced by The Cape‘s Keith David).

Elsewhere, the surprisingly duplicitous Rabbit meets up with the Red Queen, who’s using his ears to keep tabs on Alice. She’s also got another less-intimidated ally: Jafar (Lost‘s Naveen Andrews). What they want can’t be accomplished until they have the genie’s bottle and Alice has made all her wishes. But first they’ll have to survive each other. Jafar almost chokes the Red Queen before she announces that he needs her — this is her world, so only she knows Alice’s exact whereabouts — and sends him off on his “raggedy carpet.”

Meanwhile, Alice and the Knave don’t find Cyrus at the house — he’s actually being kept locked up by Jafar — but she does happen upon his necklace, which is more than enough proof for her that her true love is alive.

Now it’s time for you to weigh in on Once Upon a Time in Wonderland. Grade the premiere below and then hit the comments with your thoughts!

Comments (114)

• the Knave of Hearts looks like Jake Gyllenhaal but with an accent… *swoons*
    but seriously loved the episode!! can’t wait for more!

Comment by Elyse – October 10, 2013 06:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I also thought he looked like Jake to

Comment by ollie – October 10, 2013 06:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I kinda thought he looked like Michael Trevino from Vampire Diaries, too.

Comment by arbiter – October 13, 2013 04:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A solid opener, I’m willing to stick around for a few episodes and see how it goes. The cast is really clicking, but I’m skeptical about Naveen Andrews/Jafar, and all the Jefferson references and no Jefferson though made my eyes role. Plus, how could they have Keith David voice The Cheshire Cat, and ALTER his already perfect voice??

Comment by Chrs – October 10, 2013 06:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh yes! This show was very good and so creative. I wish ABC had paired it with Once on Sundays it would have made a killer night. Revenge should have move to Thursdays or Sunday at 10/9pm.
    I love the Aladdin an wonderland mash up, they fit together

Comment by Fernando – October 10, 2013 06:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought it was good, the first 15 minutes were pretty mediocre, but I thought it picked up. I really loved the Knave of Hearts, Alice was awesome(I liked her a lot more than the Tim Burton version), Rabbit looked good, and the Cheshire Cat was a good surprise. The Red queen is no Regina, but it is probably unfair to compare the two. Overall it was good, and it is one of the better dramas this year, but that is not saying much. I will continue to tune in, but I’m not going to get attached given the time slot. The CGI is still borderline horrible at some points, but I’ve accepted that with the series now.

Comment by Mike R. – October 10, 2013 06:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I also compared the RQ to Regina. Lana Parilla is just so amazing that it probably is unfair to compare them. They could have cast a better actress though. She seems like a Real Housewife of Wonderland, not an evil queen. Cora would destroy her if she were still in Wonderland.

Comment by Mikael – October 16, 2013 09:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Do you need to have watched once upon a time to watch this show?

Comment by do you? – October 10, 2013 06:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No. They might have some characters cross over but shouldn’t be a big deal if you don’t watch ouat

Comment by ollie – October 10, 2013 06:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No, not at all. There is only the thinnest of connections between the two.

Comment by writingmyownway – October 10, 2013 06:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • For a pilot it was one of the best I have seen in a long time ABC has a hit on it’s haands.

Comment by Joe – October 10, 2013 06:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • nope! I would check it out. completely different show in my book!

Comment by Elyse – October 10, 2013 06:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • @ollie, writingmyownway and Elyse – awesome, thanks so much, I’ll definitely check it out then : )

Comment by thanks! – October 10, 2013 06:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • JMo tweeted on Sunday that her contract does not allow her to be on Wonderland, so it seems that series regulars may not be able to do crossover episodes. Fine by me. How the timeline of the opener in Storybrooke and the Knave’s time there and Alice’s time in Wonderland given the 28 years of the curse confuses the crap outta me.

Comment by ej – October 10, 2013 09:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The knave was in the enchanted forest when the curse hit, and Regina has said she took who she wanted, (ie mad hatter and whale) even though they were in other lands, wonderland was not touched by the curse other than her taking those she wanted….time seems to move differently there as well since young Alice had no idea she had been there for two years, the mad hatter and knave may have been there when she was young but not as an adult…so Alice’s second time there probably overlapped with the curse….? Great I thought I understood it and now I’m confused …I did find it interesting that Victorian England of Alice’s story and our Storebooke exists at the same time but separate of each other….I think I will suspend my how time moves and knowledge of the curse, until it’s explained more.

I really enjoyed it, thought it was a soild opening with great cast chemistry….hopefully it can hold its own against other Thursday shows.

Comment by Amy – October 11, 2013 03:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I didn’t think they necessarily existed at the same time, but that the Rabbit’s hole was able to take them where they wanted to go, and at that time they wanted to go to where Alice was. I’m okay with the possibility that the Rabbit’s hole can transport across time and space.

Comment by the girl – October 11, 2013 05:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Considering that the Knave dresses and sounds like a younger version of the 9th Doctor, I also was OK with the idea that time in the Victorian world moves much, much slower, so 28 years in Storybrook/FairyTaleLand is equivalent to however long Alice has been in the asylum. Once Emma appeared in Storybrooke, the rabbit was able to tunnel through and grab the knave and get him to the right time.

Comment by Alice – October 11, 2013 11:08 AM PDT
    • As far as the 2 episodes that have aired go, not at all, I cant speak for future episodes though

Comment by Aisha Arif – October 18, 2013 12:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I give OUAT in Wonderland an A. Hope this series is going to break the curse of the 8 p.m. Thursday night time slot for ABC.

Comment by Tran 2.0 – October 10, 2013 06:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i really enjoyed it – they spared no expense on the special effects. rabbit was cute and the cheshire cat was frightening. looking forward to more.

Comment by Mrs. Peele – October 10, 2013 06:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Seriously? I thought the special effects were embarrasingly bad, and they’re the reason I probably won’t keep watching.

Comment by Terry – October 11, 2013 09:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The special effects were terrible. I won’t be back either.

Comment by Mark – October 18, 2013 03:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I gave it a B, because I thought it was a little slow in the beginning, but I thought it picked up a little bit eventually.

Comment by Pinkle – October 10, 2013 06:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t snappy judge a show I’m not watching, if you believe its charming then you believe so.

Comment by Guest – October 10, 2013 06:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t get it – Alice is from Victorian England (1800s) and the Knave of Hearts was hanging out in Storybrooke (1980s-present) and they travel back to Wonderland together now. How can they both exist right now???? Shouldn’t Alice be 200 years old and dead??

Comment by Dan – October 10, 2013 06:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s not how portals work.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – October 10, 2013 06:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Sorry, didn’t watch the pilot yet – just read this recap. I guess I should’ve watched it before commenting! I’m sure it’ll answer a lot of the questions I have.

Comment by Dan – October 10, 2013 06:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Matt – Exactly!

Comment by DarkDefender – October 10, 2013 11:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Alice was from a fictional version of Victorian England, not the track world.

Comment by Anne – October 10, 2013 06:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I wondered the same thing. Sort of. I figured that Alice was “Back in the day” due to the options given her by the doctor. And the Knave was in modern day since we see Emma’s Bug drive down the street. But the Rabbit, well he’s the connection. Or maybe his watch. Idaknow. Anyway! The Rabbit has to be a time traveler. Of course, that begs the question as to how he is EVER late, since he can just “jump” back to when he isn’t late.

Comment by RicFuile – October 10, 2013 07:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Adam and Eddy said at Paleyfest that Alice is from Victorian London WORLD, not the same reality as Storybrooke. Same goes for the London Baelfire went to. So it could be 2012 (OUAT is still in spring 2012 since Season 1 covered about 4 months and Season 2 was about 2) in Victorian London World where technology never advanced to the same degree as the Land Without Magic of the curse. (Or it actually is 2013 in Wonderland’s Storybrooke, meaning Emma will get back and a year later still be driving recklessly down Main St. in her Bug.)

Comment by ej – October 10, 2013 09:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Actually, Baelfire came to the Victorian London of OUR world, not a separate reality. This was made clear at the time Second Star to the Right aired, and has been more or less consistently maintained even though there have been subsequent statements that slightly contradict it.

Comment by Davey Elmer – October 11, 2013 05:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • umm the world u called OUR world is also known as the land without magic. if thats true than peter pan shadow wont be able to come as he pleased and also fly with the pixie dust. magic only happened after rumple bring it to the world. if peter pan can come and go to OUR world easily, then he wouldnt need to use ordinary human to do the job, since he is the scariest enemy of all, according to rumple and hook.

Comment by edhie – October 13, 2013 02:21 AM PDT
          • @edhie: Our world is/was referred to as the ‘Land without Magic’, but as we find out from Tamara, that moniker isn’t entirely accurate, as there WAS magic here long before Rumple cast his spell; it was just very weak.

Comment by Davey Elmer – October 13, 2013 05:26 PM PDT
    • Time travel doesn’t exist in the Once-verse. Alice, as noted, is from an alternate-reality Victorian London, not the real-world Victorian London to which Baelfire traveled when he came through the bean portal to the ‘Land without Magic’, as seen in Second Star to the Right, and met the Darling family and Wendy.

Comment by Davey Elmer – October 11, 2013 11:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Actually dude, time travel has already been established waay back in season 1 when Jefferson used his hat to get the apple for Regina.

Comment by Toccs – October 12, 2013 07:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It captured me much like OUAT did with its pilot. It was charming in a different way, but still lovely. I will definitely keep tuning in.

Comment by Amanda – October 10, 2013 06:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I enjoyed it more than the original OUAT. I like Alice (she can fight!) and The Knave, and The Rabbit, and Jafar makes a compelling villain (not sure I like the actress playing the Red Queen, though. If this is successful (I hope it is!) I wouldn’t mind seeing other OUAT spin-offs.

Comment by dreamlife613 – October 10, 2013 06:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I gave it a B…it was good but some of the CGI backgrounds were horrible. I’m sure it’ll get better in due time

Comment by newinkpop – October 10, 2013 06:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh God, you’re right about that. The CGI was seriously cheesy.

Comment by the girl – October 11, 2013 05:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Genies in wonderland? Weird combination.

Jafar? Where’s Aladdin and Jasmine then? LOL!

Comment by woodyinho – October 10, 2013 06:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The show was better than the mothership, not weighed down by a huge cast.

Knave of Hearts reminds me of a younger 9th Doctor.

However the Red Queen should have never been hired! Her face is so bad! It’s distracting. Stop with the botox and the duck lips.

Comment by David4 – October 10, 2013 06:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • True. Two things that quite annoyed me was the Red Queen’s duck lips and how sexy Knave is.

Comment by Farley Ong – October 11, 2013 01:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Completely agree! I hope the Knave hops on over to Storybrooke when this limited series is finished. And the only thing I could think of when watching the Red Queen was “caricature.” She clearly doesn’t have the depth of character as Regina on OUAT. It’s very possible she isn’t meant to and is only supposed to be a cartoon villain. That’s fine with me. I like Naveen Andrews & hope he makes more of his role as Jafar so he, too, might jump over to OUAT in the future.

Comment by Suzanne Laycock – October 11, 2013 12:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I agree. And the Red Queens lips are so distractingly ugly!! Her acting is a caricature too

Comment by Colleen – October 17, 2013 05:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • See now, I was annoyed by the fact that Alice had bare legs while breaking out of the hospital and was wearing some sort of stockings by the time she and Knave ended up in the alley/courtyard where Rabbit opened up the portal to Wonderland. I gots no prollems with marshmallow lakes, but randomly appearing stockings!?!! WUT?

Comment by arbiter – October 13, 2013 04:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I cannot stand the duck lips and I am so glad I am not the only one! Don’t really like Knave though.

Comment by emmawolf – October 26, 2013 03:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A

Comment by Leondre – October 10, 2013 06:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m not sure why yet but I didn’t like it. I love the story and that they’re in Wonderland but something was off. I’m definitely sticking around. Maybe I missed something?

Comment by -- – October 10, 2013 07:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I also loved the story, but found something a little off and gave it a B. I think that it might simply be the mechanics of them working with Green Screens. It looks like this show will use even more Green stuff than OUAT. It takes time to really get a feel for believably working with non-existent characters and objects. I am going to stick around and see if they can develop better green-legs… Also, I thought that the fight scene with Alice in the Insane Asylum was so much better choreographed than the one with Cyrus on the cliff, so I think the physical acting and timing will get better very quickly.

Comment by Tamim – October 10, 2013 09:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I honestly felt like this could have been better. I just wasn’t as wowed and captivated by this as I was with episode 1 of OUAT. Wonderland had great moments, but that is all they were… moments. I kept finding myself wondering what else was on. The mother-show came out swinging when it premiered, it’s heroes were believable as heroes, and the villains… you knew from the get go that Regina and Rumple were forces to be reckoned with and The Charmings and Emma may not stand a chance against them… but Wonderland held back on the punches a little too much… especially with it’s villains the Red Queen and Jafar. Don’t get me wrong, I like what they’ve done with Jafar, but still neither of them had the impact they should have had for the premier episode… especially the Red Queen. I’ll watch a couple of more episodes, but as for right now there is a big chance I won’t be returning to Wonderland.

Comment by Cory – October 10, 2013 09:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ^ This

Comment by ej – October 10, 2013 09:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I totally agree. I was trying to flip through the guide to see if I could watch anything else before grey’s anatomy

Comment by HBH – October 11, 2013 02:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The White Rabbit really needs to be voiced by Munch from SVU

Comment by Jerry – October 10, 2013 09:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved it.m

Comment by Ashbang – October 10, 2013 09:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It could have been better but it was a pilot afterall. The first 15 minutes were so so but after that i thoroughly enjoyed it. I loved the Storybrooke connection too. I can’t wait to see where this goes. Sophie Lowe is a brilliant actress and she is a standout in this for me. Can’t wait till next week.

Comment by greysfan – October 10, 2013 09:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Right about the pilot insight. They are always poor, as stand-alones. Sleepy Hollow was the exception.

Comment by prish – October 11, 2013 03:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really loved the first 19 minutes when I saw it at SDCC. However.. After that point tonight, I was distracted by the horrible CGI and thought it was worse that FTLand on OUAT. They also made a huge deal (at CC) out of the actor they have playing Jafar, but I didn’t like him. I will stick around for a few more episodes, because I like the concept.. But it needs to improve for me to see it through to the end. I do, however, love Alice and the Knave of Hearts guy.

Comment by DarkDefender – October 10, 2013 11:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The husband said about the Red Queen, “She’s no Regina. When Regina enters a room, everyone knows it.” He felt all the actors were bland. I felt it was all mildly cute. We’re going to keep it on a series recording, though, and give it a chance. We’re the demo they don’t care about, so no biggie with our opinions. I just like to give some insights, in case the suits look for ideas. It was a mistake for everyone to speak English accents, though. Maybe, they can project them to the future, fast, and make the accents more like Once Upon a Time. I can’t see the young demo they’re going after enjoying that speech. I can’t write cursive in schools because the students can’t read it.

Comment by prish – October 10, 2013 11:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think the Red Queen lacking presence just shows how great of an actress Lana Parrilla really is. Not everyone can do what she does

Comment by Ram510 – October 11, 2013 12:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • ITA. the Red Queen was just too plastic for me. She reminded me of one of those ladies who make Vanna White gestures next to a new Porsche at the auto show.

Comment by Templar – October 11, 2013 06:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I assume it was a director’s choice, not the actress.

Comment by prish – October 11, 2013 08:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s somewhat a “period” piece about a young English girl….. having characters actually in Great Britain speak with a Kansas accent would be another way to go, but they went with the original material and I’m okay with that.

I’ve seen Shakespeare set in 1920′s Chicago, replete with Tommy guns, and while it was fun it really wasn’t Shakespeare.

Comment by John 1138 – October 11, 2013 08:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think those are the actors natural accents. Sophie Lowe is Australian raised in England, Naveen Andrews is British. Michael Socha is British, so is the actor who plays Cyrus. John Lithgow used his regular accent as well.
      Normally Once has let actors use their own accents- Belle kept her Australian accent, and Tink kept her Kiwi accent. Rumple as well.
      Besides, Alice is a story about an English girl- why on earth would they have her do an American accent?

Comment by Alice – October 11, 2013 11:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Why is it a mistake to have British accents in Wonderland? You do know the entire series was written by a British author, Lewis Carroll, don’t you? Alice is English. The White Rabbit has tea parties. Very English series IMO.

Comment by Suzanne Laycock – October 11, 2013 12:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’m a big lover of British stuff. Jane Eyre kept my sanity when 16. I read the whole collection of Sherlock Holmes stories, when 18. I went on a tour for fiction writers to England, years ago, dragging along the husband. He enjoyed seeing his mother’s heritage, family being a few hundred years in the U.S. However, he doesn’t understand some spoken words in the British accent. I love Elementary, but he doesn’t watch it because he can’t follow Sherlock’s dialog. There was no one more looking forward to Wonderland, then he, being a huge fan of OUAT. He thought it was going to be more American Storybrooke-ish. His disappointment, “Oh, no, not all the English accent.” got me to thinking, that’s all. They do want the 18-49ers, and I am hoping the special effects will carry the day. They’re cute, so what they say might not be important to the young viewers.

Comment by prish – October 11, 2013 03:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The loud music over and over enough with it, this is a cartoon like TV show not a movie!!!

Comment by DavidSask – October 10, 2013 11:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i like the effects for the rabbit and cheshire but the backgrounds kinda throw me off

Comment by ceylan – October 11, 2013 12:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It was solid, it was good. I just wish ABC would’ve stuck with this being winter filler for OUAT. I just don’t see how they are going to be able to sustain both series for many season. We all saw how season 2 how OUAT fell flat on it face and they are still trying to clean up the mess they made in S2. Now I’m supposed to believe they can some how sustain both series? As of right now I’m not convinced, but I’ll continue to watch both series

Comment by Ram510 – October 11, 2013 12:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • According to the shows creators, Wonderland is a fully encapsulated series. By the end of the final episode this season, The “Alice being on a quest to find Cyrus” storyline will be complete. They hadn’t said if they will continue with Alice’s adventures or go to another fariytale altogether, if they are renewed for another season.

Comment by Dark Defender – October 11, 2013 10:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • They said that it’s more like movie and sequels. By the end of the movie, that adventure is over. When you have a sequel, it’s the same characters, but a whole new adventure. That is how they plan on doing a second season- , if they get one- Alice and the rest of the characters on a new adventure. No long, 5-season mythology like the mother ship.

Comment by Alice – October 11, 2013 11:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • “They hadn’t said if they will continue with Alice’s adventures or go to another fariytale altogether, if they are renewed for another season.”

Actually, they have. If the show succeeds, they will maintain the cast and setting but tell a brand-New self-contained story.

Comment by Davey Elmer – October 11, 2013 11:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is it just me or would The Knave of Hearts be the perfect first character to make gay. Once has been looking for awhile, for the right story. I think it would work out beautifully.

Comment by JJ – October 11, 2013 01:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I have an entire wish list of things I’d like them to do. Write a part for Adam Lambert on OUAT [he has a musical theatre background]. Get Sendhil Ramamurthy to play Aladdin on OUAT. I wish they’d had Cher play Maleficent, or else Bebe Neuwirth. Warren Christie as Baelfire/Neal. As for a gay character. Matt Bomer as Galahad, Martin Short as March Hare, maybe have Archie/Jiminy[Raphael Sbarge] come out.

Comment by Templar – October 11, 2013 06:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • that’s absurd…why must they insert a gay character..just for the sake of gayness???

Comment by ricky agnew – December 21, 2013 10:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just one question….. When did the Cheshire Cat become evil???

Comment by Anonymous K – October 11, 2013 01:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I presume about the same time Peter Pan became a psychopath.

Comment by Alice – October 11, 2013 11:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • At Disney World he is always put with the villains on posters and other merchandise.

Comment by Mikael – October 16, 2013 09:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved i! It is very good family fun! I hope it gets lots of viewers because I want to keep watching it! It is interesting that Cheshire Cat became evil, but the writers like to show the different faces of their characters, which is why we like OUAT. I think they could do less CGI. The cast did great when they shot the 20 minute presentation they probably had never seen each other but they all gel well. Cyrus, the genie (Peter Gadiot) is very charming, and looks like he could be the love child of James Franco and Johnny Depp which is not a bad thing at all!

Comment by Binatony – October 11, 2013 02:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As much as I really liked it (after the first about 15 so so minutes), I mostly enjoyed it for Michael Socha. :)
    Really looking forward to him/Knave of Hearts and Sophie/Alice and their dynamic, it seemed already quite good and playful for a pilot, can’t wait how that develops.
    Somehow, I don’t have any feelings towards the genie yet, didn’t win me over so far. But hey, it’s only a pilot, let’s see where it’s going.

Comment by Jules – October 11, 2013 02:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I LOVED Michael Socha. Great chemistry between him and Alice, too. I noticed they reshot the scene where the rabbit draws the portal. In the original 20 min. preview, there was much more of a “moment” between the Knave and Alice when she asks him to come with her. It’s almost like they reshot it to dim down the chemistry between them. Kinda wish they hadn’t, but oh well. I enjoyed it overall.

Comment by gdv – October 11, 2013 09:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That can be a problem. Margaret Mitchell made Scarlett O’Hara the main character, when she took over her book in Gone With the Wind. It is harder to do with production and crew costs. I could see it happening, since more time was spent on their relationship than with the genie. I would have shifted the genie to the backburner, myself, letting him find Jasmine. With Knave being Will Scarlett, Alice and Knave could end up at Storybrooke, next season.

Comment by prish – October 11, 2013 06:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Jasmine is with Aladdin, a fellow human, not Cyrus. Cyrus should find someone else though, like a female Genie, someone Jafar probs kidnaps

Comment by Eva – November 21, 2013 03:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It was okay. It didn’t pull me in quite as much as the OUAT pilot did, but I will give it another couple of episodes.
    I very much enjoyed Michael Socha as the Knave of Hearts and I think I’ll like Alice outside of the Cyrus story, which was just too kitschy for me in the pilot. The scenes with Alice in the asylum had a nice, creepy feel to them and I loved the score during Alice’s fight to escape from that place. The reason why the Mad Hatter is not in Wonderland makes sense, but I’m still hoping we’ll see some familiar faces in flashbacks later on. I agree with those who said that the Red Queen is no Regina, but it’s probably not 100% fair to compare them and few can do what Lana Parrilla does on the mothership anyway. Jafar.. I don’t know. Not sold on him yet either, but he had only two scenes so he may grown on me over time. The Cheshire Cat bit was fun and I liked the White Rabbit too.

Comment by Louise – October 11, 2013 02:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • To me, Jafar was aping Alan Rickman’s portrayal of the Sheriff of Nottingham in Robin Hood Prince of Thieves.

Comment by Templar – October 11, 2013 07:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Not a bad choice on his part, though. Remington Steele was a success because Pierce Brosnen studied and emulated Cary Grant for his role. He said so on a dvd interview, I think.

Comment by prish – October 11, 2013 02:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Definitely agree with whoever said that the Red Queen wasn’t “evil” enough. She didn’t have the presence that Regina does. However, the visuals were breathtaking and the cast did have really good chemistry with each other. I’m excited to see more, whereas I find myself getting bored with OUAT now.

Comment by neha – October 11, 2013 03:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Absolutely HATE the casting (Alice especially) and I wasn’t enamored. It’s going to get as convoluted as the original OUAT.

Comment by song4ten – October 11, 2013 05:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thank you. I’ve been saying that Alice is my main dissatisfaction with the cast Glad I’m not alone.

Comment by Templar – October 11, 2013 07:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That means more characters/actors, so we won’t mind the more bland ones. Mulan comes to mind, for me.

Comment by prish – October 11, 2013 02:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would have given it a much better grade, if I could get past the horrible green screen effects. I understand it’s TV, there are probably budget issues . . . I get all of that. It was still very distracting. Also, I’m going to need for the pace of the storyline to get moving.
    I’ll stick with it for a few shows and hope for improvement.

Comment by LaLa – October 11, 2013 05:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love the knave seriously his voice so sexy and the connection with him and alice was awesome! Heres hoping they have a love connection, no offense to her so called true love or anything.

Comment by Rhiannon Patton – October 11, 2013 06:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The show looks beautiful. But the story moved too fast to believe in the love story between Alice and Cyrus. The story moved fast, but the pacing of the show itself was really slow. But because I didn’t buy into the love story, I lost interest. I’m not sure if this show is worth a second chance. Thursday nights is already crowded, so I have no extra space on my DVR for this show. I’ll have to catch this show online to see if it’s worth even a DVR spot.

Comment by Ann – October 11, 2013 06:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I absolutely love Alice in Wonderland and think this is a great iteration of it.I don’t care for this red queen either and think it was a terrible casting job. It’s also really hard not to compare her to Helen Carter’s performance in the Tim Burton movie.

I also think it’s really odd for them to combine Wonderland and Aladdin. Guess they needed a love interest for Alice since there really isn’t one aside from this version of the Knave. But I do have to say Jafar is my favorite Disney cartoon villain and absolutely loved seeing a live action version of him. That was just great. I so want that snake staff.

Comment by Dave – October 11, 2013 07:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m glad that Michael Socha is getting exposure on a much greater scale. He is brilliant as the Knave of Hearts. Loved him Being Human (U.K. version).

Comment by Andrea – October 11, 2013 10:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Did anyone else notice an interesting OUAT connection? Emma’s yellow buggy swerved out of the way of one of the characters in the intro of the show. A blink-and-you’ll miss it moment. Didn’t Emma swerve out of the way in one of the once episodes? Possibly the pilot? My guess is either the show takes place loosely at the beginning of the pilot of Once.

Comment by Austin Thompson – October 11, 2013 12:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Caught it, too! Agree about the timeline coinciding w/the beginning of OUAT, especially because they mention that the Mad Hatter/Jefferson has been gone a long time (30 Storybrooke years by the time OUAT begins).

Comment by Suzanne Laycock – October 11, 2013 12:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • But didn’t they infer he was in a happier life, now? So, I took it to mean it was happening after the curse was lifted and he was with his daughter, again, in Storybrooke. Someone could be borrowing Emma’s car.

Comment by prish – October 11, 2013 02:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ashley/Cinderella isn’t pregnant, in them, so the Storybrooke scenes have to happen after she gives birth in The Price of Gold.

As originally shot, the Storybrooke scenes took place concurrently with/during the Season 2 premiere, Broken.

Comment by Davey Elmer – October 11, 2013 01:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I didn’t like it at all. I thought the acting wasn’t good either (just my opinion). I only liked the Knave. The scenes looked fake. The Red Queen didn’t make me believe she was evil. I was bored throughout the episode. Don’t think I’ll be watching anything further, but I really can’t base it off of one episode so i guess i’ll see. OUAT definitely had a better premiere and captivated me from the beginning.

Comment by HBH – October 11, 2013 02:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The CGI is disastrous! Especially the Red Queen’s castle is something that you do when you just get into CGI!
    Which is a pity because I think that this show could be a lot better than the mothership and doesn’t deserve those horrendous special effects…

Comment by S. from A. – October 11, 2013 02:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • obsessed wit everything alice in wonderland. I enjoyed it fair enough, so i will be checking the second episode. but…. that red queen, r u kidding me? Regina George was way more scarier!! That actress doesn’t fit or look the part. We need someone who commands a room when she walks in, not a barbie with a duck face.

Comment by Frankieboy – October 11, 2013 02:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I thought that was part of her appeal. She looks like she’s just a pretty little doll with no power or presence; the sort to be under-estimated. Which Jafar does. She isn’t meant to be Regina. I think what makes her dangerous is the fact that she so wants to prove that she is.

Comment by ae – October 31, 2013 05:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Would have loved to watch it, but our local ABC cancel has been dropped from Directv as contract ended and they could not come to a meeting of the minds, like the government. Hope ABC local is back online soon. Will also miss Once Upon a Time on Sunday also. Hopefully locally they will start at the beginning of the series for Wonderland.

Comment by Mary Ellen – October 11, 2013 04:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The first 30 mins were meh at best, but once Knave showed up my interest was piqued. I agree Knave and Alice have great chemistry. Right now they’re enough to keep me watching.

Comment by Sara M – October 12, 2013 08:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m not enjoying the Red Queen as an actress or character, or a couple of glaring “huh?” plot holes … and Alice I am completely neutral on. Couldn’t care one way or the other — but that also means I don’t hate her.

I’ll stick around for the Knave. And to see what else shows up … but I’ve not got high hopes. Gave it a C.

Comment by Gabriel Garcia – October 13, 2013 01:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really enjoyed the show. Many other people I have spoken to also enjoyed it.
    Regarding some of the negatives: I really tried to get into OUAT and I could not, I found it confusing and all over the place.
    But I did not find the same with OUATin Wonderland, it is linear and easier to watch. The young cast is great and they do try to do the best they can with some… let’s say… “cheesy” like Cyrus, Peter Gadiot, who manages to elevate his lines, plus is a hottie!
    His character is not as easy to play as the knave’s. I think it is easier to portray a likable rogue who is a human than a gentile, soulful genie! there are not many around to compare and use to help you with the acting! haha.
    The CGI seems to need some improvement and I think they will sort that out.
    No show is perfect and I really liked this one!

Comment by Binatony – October 13, 2013 10:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oops I meant to say “cheesy ” script. in my comment above.

Comment by Binatony – October 13, 2013 10:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love this show except for the RQ’s lips!!! Eeeww!I hope that they decide to keep it on!I can’t wait for the two shows to coincide! Its going to be awesome. If Jafar is in the show then so will Aladdin and jasmine if they keep it going. I love it. I agree with the others I could do without the CGI!! It’s over the top fake!! Other than that I give the show an A!! Alice kicks butt and the knave is HOTTTT!!!!

Comment by me – November 16, 2013 11:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I actually was disappointed with this. The whole Cyrus/Alice thing is ridiculous, because the writers don’t know anything about Genies/Jinns (Jinns I’m pretty sure can fall in love, but it would never work with a human and a Genie/Jinn) Cyrus does not look like an Arab per say, and a more tanned person would be more accurate since Agrabah is supposed to be like the desert. Also the fact that they actually are not tied down to grant wishes, even though they’re trying to base it off of the Aladdin world, which I find annoying because I want to be Jasmine (yeah like that would happen) But I feel like they should stay true with closely related ethnic background if they involve Aladdin and Jasmine, unlike the guy they chose for Cyrus (who is still a good actor,but isn’t the same authenticity). Even though Naveen Andrews is Indian, he is a great actor and is probably the best in all of this. i know this view is unfavorable, but if you are not from the same background, it almost feels like cultural appropriation.

Comment by Eva – November 21, 2013 02:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I also feel like Alice and the Knave might fall in love to.

Comment by Eva – November 21, 2013 03:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • the red queen should get naked

Comment by ricky agnew – December 21, 2013 10:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Okay seriously about to rant so before i do understand this, i think ouat is a superb show and despite dropping the ball in neverland, has a bright future because the cast has a beautifully honest connection and i would love to see this spin-off in wonderland succeed, however, am i the only person who thinks that alice’s acting comes across fake and immature? As the main character and most important binding plot line she should be sincere and i have not felt that in a single moment from her. its especially crucial since the entire basis of alice in wonderland is the purity of childhood being clouded by complex emotions and to come out on the otherside changed for the better while at the same time holding on to the honesty and candor of a child. anyway with that said i respect the attempt to turn it into a love story but they have put all their eggs in that basket, and there’s a hole in the bottom caused by the lack of genuine emotion being put forth. Ernest Hemingway said “a writer should create living people; people, not characters . a character is a caricature.” This sentiment is just as true when acting and the cast of wonderland (with the exception of jafar and the knave, in my opinion of course) are presenting caricatures.
    Alright one last thing, cgi in general is not yet perfect, cut them some slack they are literally creating one of the most intense and beloved fictional worlds and personally i think so far it’s lovely.

Comment by amoreena – March 20, 2014 09:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post