Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Enlists Titus Welliver to Reprise Role as Marvel One-Shots' Agent Blake

Get More: Casting News

Agents of SHIELD Titus WelliverABC’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. is again dipping into Marvel’s deep bag of tricks, tapping Titus Welliver to reprise his role as Agent Blake, the character he played in the Marvel One-Shots Blu-ray featurette Item 47.

RELATED | Fall TV Poll: Is Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. the Hero Series That TV Deserves, Or the One It Needs Right Now?

As first reported by Marvel.com, Welliver will guest-star in the freshman drama’s sixth episode, “FZZT,” which finds Coulson and his team hunting down an elusive killer after “floating bodies” start turning up.

Item 47 is a direct-to-video short film included in The Avengers‘ Blu-ray set and following the retrieval of a discarded Chitauri gun being used by a young couple (Jesse Bradford and Lizzy Caplan) to rob banks.

To date, S.H.I.E.L.D. has crossed over Clark Gregg’s Agent Coulson as a series regular, had Cobie Smulders play Maria Hill in the premiere and scored a surprise cameo by Samuel L. Jackson (as badass boss man Nick Fury) in the Oct. 1 episode.

Welliver’s previous TV credits include The Good Wife, Lost, Sons of Anarchy and White Collar.

Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. on Thursday morning received a full-season order of 22 episodes.

Comments (29)

• YES! Was hoping this character and actor would appear.

Comment by Teag – October 10, 2013 01:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cool cool cool cool cool cool cool.

Comment by TigerNightmare – October 10, 2013 01:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hearing that even though the show got awesome critical reviews (75/100 on Metacritic, higher than any other new broadcast TV drama), the creative team is tweaking the new show due to mixed fan reaction. Maybe they could sign on Titus and maybe Samuel L Jackson as series regulars. This would be awesome. And, IMO, this week’s episode has been the best yet. Hopefully, the show will stabilize in the ratings and continue to defeat the Ziva-less NCIS in the 18-49 demographic.

Comment by Matt – October 10, 2013 02:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Cast does need a re-tool. it is right now apart from Coulson and May, full of stiff, wooden, interchangeable white characters. Boring.

Comment by Apples – October 10, 2013 02:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • They’ve got one and a half Asians – that’s at least 50% more than average for any show that isn’t Hawaii Five-0.
        Personally I don’t think that the wooden-ness is exactly universal among the younger cast members, but I won’t argue the point. Also, interchangeable? Really? Can you imagine any of those actors swapping roles?

Comment by wordsmith – October 10, 2013 02:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Interchangeable as in interchangeably boring. Ward is stiff and boring, Skye seems to have one expression (smirking disdain) and the two scientists are too cutesy to be taken seriously. And their characterization seems to consist of talking nonsense in an accent.

I won’t apologize for wanting a bit more diversity in the cast- does SHIELD have black or Hispanic agents? It is personally important to me. It might be something I’d overlook if the casting or characterization was better, but it isn’t.

The writing has been incredibly anvilicious so far as well.

Comment by Apples – October 10, 2013 02:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Um hello Fury is black. As tv shows go this is a baby. It needs time to grow and develop.

Comment by Eda Allen – October 21, 2013 02:31 PM PDT
      • Don’t agree with the ‘interchangeable white characters’ bit because I don’t think its always expedient to make decisions based on quotas, but I agree that the cast needs a reboot. I think the weakest links are Fitz-Simmons and the agent dude whose name always escapes me because he’s that bland. He’s whiny and kind of full of himself and is unrelatable. Imo. I like Skye. I think she has spunk and personality but her character hasn’t been properly defined yet. Looking forward to seeing Melinda May becoming more than just a pilot.

Comment by Babygate – October 10, 2013 03:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • it been 3 episodes, you are judging the cast way too soon.

Comment by Alan – October 11, 2013 04:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The rating are fine. It’s gone head-to-head with NCIS for 3 weeks and won it’s time slot 2 of those weeks; the only loss was the final Ziva episode. It’s doing quite well against the current king of dramas. The current rating drops are unilateral, as all the shows are experiencing the same drops at the same time, most likely due to the start of baseball playoffs. When NCIS is getting a 2.8 and SHIELD is getting a 2.0, that’s the time to worry. Not now.

Comment by Badpenny – October 10, 2013 04:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t get why people aren’t liking this show and feel like something is missing. I really like it, this is what shield really do on a Dailey basis. I feel like people want the super heros to come on the show for them to be able to watch but I think this show can do find without them but this is 2013 and tv watchers are ao damn picky and hard to please just look at what’s happening to revenge and then AHS where ppl can’t decide if they want it scary or not.

Comment by Fernando – October 10, 2013 02:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think the hype ans Joss set the bar too high. I thought the pilot was very very bad but like many shows(Fringe being one)it’s finding its groove. But most of the characters are bland and we’ve seen them before. So i hope it improves. Maybe next season add Cobie Smulders to the cast.

I have a question to the fans… Did anyone find it weird Coulson is always in his suit? Even in the last EP when he went on the mission to the island the other agent had fighting gear on but Coulson was still in the suit. Maybe he’s dead. Maybe when Loki stabbed him it did something to Coulson that never lets him change. IDK.

Comment by Eurisko – October 10, 2013 03:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Coulson only wears suits. This is common for most of the SHIELD agents who need to interact with society. You always only see them wearing suits. They’re like the Men in Black in that regard. It’s only the undercover or upper office guys that don’t embrace the suit. Fury and Hill wear the uniform because they don’t go out among the normal people daily.
        As for Coulson, he’s either a clone or an LMD. My bet is on clone.

Comment by Badpenny – October 10, 2013 04:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I am a comic geek so i know all about Shield. I just found that scene strange and I know there is something up with his being brought back. I just thought maybe they were dropping hints. I agree about the LMD being the safe bet.

Comment by Eurisko – October 10, 2013 05:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • coulson is a long time shield agent, suits are regulation for agents, getting him into anything other than a suit would be breaking the habit of a lifetime for him, it would be like a soldier growing a mullet, it just doesnt look right.

Comment by Alan – October 11, 2013 04:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Here’s the issue: AoS airs against one of the most loved shows on TV. You have 20 million NCIS fans who feel that AoS beating NCIS spells the doom for NCIS; and all of this coupled with Ziva leaving. Most of the anger isn’t really about the AoS, it’s about what it means to NCIS. Many of the naysayers would happily watch AoS if it aired on another night and was less threatening to them.

Comment by Badpenny – October 10, 2013 04:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really really want to like this show! I’m holding out hoping that it’ll get better but seriously, I can’t stand the girl playing Skye – she’s so annoying. It’s like the “team” just doesn’t fit or something.

Comment by charlotte – October 10, 2013 05:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The team’s not supposed to fit, and that’s basically the whole point. You have 3 tech geeks: engineering, biology, and computers, 1 specialist, 1 leader who seemingly doesn’t have all his abilities, and “the Cavalry” who didn’t want to do field missions. They’re supposed to be out of sync. The beginning is about how 6 very different people do end up gelling under a very unorthodox leader.

Comment by Badpenny – October 10, 2013 06:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yeah, I “get” what the point of the show is supposed to be. I’m just saying that the cast doesn’t have the chemistry that compels me to actually care what happens to them. The whole “very different people” under an “unorthodox leader” theme isn’t exactly the most original thing. It’s been done before and I enjoy shows that explore it. I just feel like this show is missing that “something” at the moment.

Comment by charlotte – October 12, 2013 07:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Agree with most of the comments here. Shield is a show I really want to like. But it’s missing something. The “team”? Honestly? Much as I like the geeks – they shouldn’t present in the fiels ALL the time. & the main “hero” type is a whinny useless… Definitely need to get more cast & less characters. As for Coulsen, love him, but since when does the boss go on EVERY mission? Most importantly, as far as the tv series is concerned it was born from a series of superhero movies – so pretty obviously the show needs some superheroes, at least occassionly. Maybe some of Marvel’s lesser cahracters. & lastly the show needs to link the movies as they are released. Even to the point of being intros or lead-in’s – what a great way to advertise???

Comment by gryssy – October 10, 2013 07:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t have a problem with any of the cast. There’s been three episodes to develop six characters on top of the weekly crisis. Even if the time was spent equally divided, that’s 21 minutes per character. People were grumbling about the Dollhouse cast/characters, but those people were amazing after getting the time to develop everyone. Olivia Williams and Fran Kranz were particularly Emmy-worthy.

Comment by TigerNightmare – October 10, 2013 08:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I also wonder if Coulson is really bumbling, such as losing his muscle memory, or if he plays it semi-incompetent to try and bring everyone else out of the shell. For example, May is willing to go back into the field now because she’s worried about Coulson’s ability to survive in the field. Thus him acting incompetent with the weapon makes her want to do what frightens her.

Comment by Badpenny – October 10, 2013 08:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I feel that this series would be a great place to feature some of the Marvel characters that aren’t strong enough for a big screen out (just yet anyways) bring in the likes of Luke Cage, Black Panther (the second episode would have been a great time to tease him), Hellcat, Namor, Echo, Agent 13, Nova, Daredevil just to name a few. We already have a few characters from the films that could make a home here too, they don’t want to give hulk his own movie? Fine bring Dr. Banner in here. With Amanda Righetti leaving The Mentalist this season, Captain America already showed her as an Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. bring her into the fold. And lets not forget the Sony and Fox only hold the FILM rights to Spider-man and The X-Men respectively that leaves them wide open to gets dropped into this series as well.

Comment by Rotasevian – October 11, 2013 12:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • the early episodes need to be about the main characters, we need to get to know them first, bringing in hero after hero would take the focus away from them and it would just hurt the show in the long run.
      agent 13 is already going to be in cap 2, emily vancamp has been cast as her.
      they wouldnt want the hulk on here, he would take up all the budget and i dont think mark ruffalo wants to do a tv series anyway.
      marvel dont have the rights to xmen or spiderman in live action, they cant use them or the fantastic four on the show because of the precedent already set by the lawsuit fox brought against them over the generation x tv series. fox argued that even though they werent using any characters from the films they were still infringing on their property and they won, so they definitely cant use any characters that would appear in the films for fear of an even worse lawsuit.
      why would the second episode have been a good time to tease black panther? they were in south america not africa.

Comment by Alan – October 11, 2013 04:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i was hoping this would happen, now get lizzy caplan back too and ill be very happy since they were both awesome in item 47 and she was supposed to be working for him after that.

Comment by Alan – October 11, 2013 04:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Very cool

Comment by Joe Petitjean – October 11, 2013 07:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They should cut Ward and bring in Clay Quartermain, who is an actual SHIELD character in the comics. I like Skye and Fitz/Simmons and I can’t wait to see more of Melinda May. I think she’ll be the strongest character. Ward is definitely the weakest link and they keep trying to force him as the lead character. If only Joss Whedon hadn’t already used Enver Gjokaj as a policeman in Avengers. He would’ve been a much better Ward. Just watch him in Dollhouse.

Comment by Mikael – October 11, 2013 09:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Let down Undesirable Track record Application – Every period an individual activate your personal computer, it would
    take less time as well in the event that these bankruptcies are not considerably program running on the start-up
    time. mpg-imp) was rated number nine in Motor Trend’s “50 Cars Worth Their Weight In Gold”.
    In fact, a search on face recognition in Windows 8 brings up some interesting forum posts, where users who had installed Windows 8 Consumer
    Preview were getting prompted to enter a “face recognition password” (which of course they didn’t have).

Comment by youtube.com – November 6, 2013 08:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It bears mentioning that there are also games and simulations available to those wanting to learn
    to trade stock index futures. You can also offer sweets,
    desserts, pastas, and other food stuff. I tried my luck
    in there, but the competition is really tough and winning can be difficult.

Comment by pay per click internet advertising – February 7, 2014 04:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post