Kanye West's Jimmy Kimmel Live Interview: Did It Do More Harm Than Good?

Jimmy Kimmel Live Kanye WestRapper/producer/Taylor Swift-interrupter Kanye West stopped by Jimmy Kimmel Live Wednesday to settle a beef with the host. But did West’s rambling, at times uncomfortable interview help his cause, or hurt it?

First, a little background: Jimmy Kimmel‘s ABC chatfest recently did a bit in which child actors reenacted a self-aggrandizing interview West granted to BBC Radio 1’s Zane Lowe. West was displeased, and expressed himself in a caps-locked back-and-forth with Kimmel on Twitter.

RELATED | Late-Night Competition Heats Up as Jimmy Fallon Named Next Tonight Show Host

The Grammy winner appeared on the late-night program Wednesday to clear the air. Both men repeatedly stated that, unlike Kimmel’s twerking video, this was no publicity stunt. Similarly, both men seemed chagrined that the disagreement had gotten so publicly out of hand.

“We kinda just took it back to high school for a little bit,” West said, with Kimmel joking, “And I got beat up a lot in high school.”

RELATED | Jimmy Kimmel’s Movie: The Movie Sequel – What Was Your Favorite Cameo?

During the extended sit-down, West made proclamations both sensible (“All I care about is my family. I care about protecting my girl, protecting my baby and protecting my ideas and my dreams.”) and brash (“For me to say I wasn’t a genius, I would just be lying to you and to myself.”). And he claimed he does not let others’ opinions shape his behavior, stating, “You’re gonna love me or you’re gonna hate me, but I’ma be me.”

Press PLAY on the video below to watch part of the interview (the rest can be found on Jimmy Kimmel Live‘s YouTube channel), then scroll down to vote: Did West’s appearance on Kimmel’s show improve or worsen your perception of the self-described “genius”?

1. ajintexas says:

This guy is delusional. It’s sad when the people around you are son interested in getting money from you that they will let you go on national televison and give interviews that show you cleary have a mental disorder of some sort. This guy comes across like someone with borderline personality disorder.

• Winter says:

If we are playing armchair psychologist I would Narcissistic Personality disorder.

• Rob says:

If he could just EVER smile or laught at himself he would be sooooo much more likeable.

• Lizzie says:

Introvert with Narcissistic Personality…yeah they’re are a conflicts but it would make sense why he does the things he does. The narcissistic personality would be a result of dealing with the media. Because it seems his narcism gets worst the more he is exposed in the public. His privacy is valuable but yet he doesn’t know how to protect it. Mental disorder NO but issues YES.

• ajintexas says:

This goes well beyond beyond narcissitic. That is the least of his problems. Have you guiys missed his “people either love me or hate me” comments? Have you not seen him just explode in anger at people for no reason? Have you missed his abandoment issues? The guy is the textbook definition of borderline personality. Look it up.

2. Mia says:

awkward in a highest level…

HYPOCRITE….

3. Sam says:

sigh.

gonna play devil’s advocate for a second. most people don’t listen to what Kanye is actually saying hence Jimmy doing a sketch on something he says he doesn’t even understand. Which is WHY Kanye was pissed. Jimmy played right into what Kanye was saying continuously happens to him in his BBC interview. But I get him honestly. And the paparazzi are pretty crazy. They came up in his garage recently with Kim and his daughter upstairs sleeping. OF COURSE you would get angry. You don’t know those people!

Besides there are celebrities who are just as narcissistic as Kanye that we never rag on. Let him live with his self-esteem.

• Just because some paparazzi are terrible, it doesn’t excuse his behavior. No one cares if Mel Gibson takes a drunk swing at a photographer. But they care if he makes anti-semitic remarks. One completely unrelated thing justifying the other is like saying it’s okay to have road rage because the store was out of Cocoa Puffs.

• Sam says:

what are you even getting at? What specific behavior has been so offensive lately? Interrupting poor Taylor (if that’s the case get over it that did Taylor all the good in the world)? Punching out the paparazzi? He tells them every time to not speak to him but they do anyway DELIBERATELY to get that rise out of him and get him to overreact. Yeah he plays into it but there’s some paparazzi that actually comply and leave him alone when he asks.

• It’s no one specific thing, it’s a series of douchebaggy things he’s done over the years. I don’t care for Taylor Swift, but that debacle is one of many things a decent person does not do. Most recently, it’s him acting like a baby on Twitter because of a sketch that makes fun of him. His reaction was a thousand times more hilarious than the actual sketch, not because anything he said was funny but because it outlined what an idiot he truly is. It just reaffirmed the sketch completely. He IS a child. Especially the bit where he tried to make himself sound better than Jimmy Kimmel because he banged more cheap groupies than him. And I guess that’s no so bad, that’s something me and my friends used to say … when we were 8. George Bush doesn’t care about black people. The guy is a self-promoter before he is a father, a husband, musician, fashion designer, whatever the hell he thinks he can do. I’m not against cocky people in general, there’s plenty of people who like that who are likeable because they actually show other sides of themselves to others. With Kanye he just has one side, at least from what he’s shown. It’s just this infinite smugness like we’re supposed to respect him and we’re A-holes if we don’t. Please, let’s have a round of applause because he says he cares about his family. Because, you know, if you don’t say it and people don’t clap, it’s not true.

• Ahem, what I was getting at. Did you see the tweets of his in question? He was saying some guy climbed into his window to take a picture of his baby and no one should make fun of him acting like a child because of that. Or something.

• Brigitte says:

I think it is interesting that he claims to want to be left alone, and yet he is dating Kim Kardashian and now they have a baby? Why would he ever think that he would get any privacy that way?

4. sophie says:

Real geniuses like Jobs or Walt Disney, never felt the need to tell the world a billion times that they are genius. I think Kanye is talented but his ego will always be his stepping stone.
    I love Kimmel but he also likes to kiss ass alot, you can tell that by this interview.
    You can’t find the original video of the twitter feud on his youtube site anymore and that says alot.

• M3rc Nate says:

100% agree. ALL those people he listed didnt go around telling everyone they are geniuses and are being treated so unfairly and give ego-maniacal narcissistic rants.

5. I found Jimmy to be a spineless enabler. In the second segment, he didn’t speak at all as Kanye rambled on for 10 minutes about nothing (being a creative genius, truth is justice, human decency is something that should apply to paparazzi but not him because he’s just being himself, plus various other meaningless platitudes that amount to nothing more than self-promotion). There’s no excuse for being a dick. Period. And you don’t get to cry about it when people point it out.

6. Lisa says:

Kanye is a tool.

7. Please please spoof this, Jay Pharoah.

8. Mike says:

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

9. Tracy says:

West is a worthless no talent thug! How can anyone support this man’s career? Seriously, have you nothing better to listen to?

• Jellymoff says:

Everyone has the right to their opinion, but to call him a no talent thug is ignorant. He is very talented, regardless of if you like what he does. I detest Jon Mayer but can recognize that he is a great guitar player as well as a total D-Bag.

• MEG says:

I didn’t realize being incapable of making your own beats meant that you had talent. Being rhythmless and tone-deaf, I must be the next Michael Jackson if that’s the way the music industry works.

10. Tabitha says:

My opinion of him has not changed at all. I think he makes great music (well, his early stuff anyway. New stuff not so much.), but his arrogance had always been so off putting. And the fact that he thinks Kim Kardashian deserves a star on the Walk Of Fame makes me think he might be somewhat delusional.

11. GS says:

I wish a giant hole would just swallow him and he could take the Kardashians with him. Vapid, horrible people with too much money and no sense at all. Can’t stand him and will never understand what idiots actually buy/listen to the crap he calls music.

12. Jo says:

I’ll never forgive Kanye for making that insufferable twit Taylor Swift a star.

13. Andy says:

I’m just angry at Kanye for talking so long that they had to cancel the arctic monkeys performance. That was the only reason why I watched last night.

14. enlighten1 says:

I appreciate that Kanye has self esteem and have no problem with him saying and thinking he is a genius. However he believing that Kim should get a star on the walk of fame, is a bit much, she is a high class tramp, and if Kanye’s mother was alive she would be discussed with him being with such a tramp. I feel sorry for their daughter, because when she grows up she will learn the not so nice things about her mother.

15. CBWBDK1 says:

Never go full retard!

16. Gayle G says:

He wants to help the world? He wants to help the world with his music and fashion? Yeah okay…..he’s delusional.

17. Kim R says:

Me thinks he doth protest too much. If he was truly a genius he would know that you just don’t go around declaring yourself to be one! It is like people always remarking how humble they are. That, in itself, is a prideful remark. And I agree with one of the comments above, if he could just laugh at himself once in a while it wouldn’t be so hard to take the other stuff. :)

18. GTS says:

Has anyone seen what he said to a French paparazzi? About respecting them for being respectful of his privacy? That would make make people like him more,

19. DF says:

Kanye is so awful that although I found his appearance repellent on Jimmy Kimmel, I had to vote for it making me like him more. This is how little respect I had for him before.

20. Fantastic site you have here but I was curious if you knew of
    any user discussion forums that cover the same topics talked about in this
    article? I’d really like to be a part of group where
    I can get responses from other knowledgeable individuals that share the
    same interest. If you have any recommendations, please let me
    know. Cheers!

21. Gee what a surprise. Kanye West has another temper tantrum on camera. Anybody shocked?!?!?!

22. Jerry Adams says:

Most of the brilliant people of this world are misunderstood. Who is anyone here that is high enough to throw a stone and not walked in the shoes he’s walked.Why, because he’s different or doesn’t fit what your morals or standards are…I am a middle aged white male and I say Kanye, keep on keepin on my brother. And for the rest of you don’t look like he’s going anywhere soon…