Community Exclusive: Brie Larson Returns; Paget Brewster, Robert Patrick Join Cameo-Packed Ep

Get More: Casting News, Exclusive

Community Season 5 Cast Brie LarsonAbed’s coat-check crush is stepping back out of her Greendale closet.

TVLine has learned exclusively that Brie Larson will reprise her role as the pop-culture fiend’s quirky Community companion, Rachel, for at least one Season 5 installment.

Details surrounding her return are scarce, but we can tell you she appears in the episode following Donald Glover‘s departure as Abed’s other-half, Troy Barnes. Perhaps she’ll help soften the blow?

VIDEO | Community Creator Dan Harmon Talks Donald Glover’s ‘Devastating’ Exit

“There’s a nice reason for her comeback,” a tight-lipped Danny Pudi shares with TVLine. “It’s a nice wrap-up to the storyline for Abed in this episode. And it’s a really great way to see another side of this character — especially this year with Troy leaving.

“Things have been introduced with Abed [in past seasons] that we’ve never really revisited,” the actor continues, “so it’s nice to see something that we go back to — especially with Brie, because she’s great. She’s an incredible actor.”

Also tapped to appear briefly in the installment — which centers on a midterms-centered dance — are former Criminal Minds fave Paget Brewster, Terminator/True Blood/Sons of Anarchy badass Robert Patrick, musician/The Sing-Off judge Ben Folds and Kumail Nanjiani (Franklin & Bash). They join the previously announced Nathan Fillion (Castle) and Katie Leclerc (Switched at Birth).

Comments (24)

• Wow. So many guest stars. I kinda like it but am cautious about it.

Comment by Teag – October 10, 2013 01:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • SHE IS SUCH A BABE OMG I LUV U

Comment by benis – October 13, 2013 02:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • On the subject of Abed-centric cameos, I keep wishing that they’d bring back Eliza Coupe as the creepy/adorable stalker government agent.

Comment by wordsmith – October 10, 2013 02:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That said, given Abed’s growth as a character, I think there’s more interesting potential with Brie Larson’s character

Comment by wordsmith – October 10, 2013 02:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was just gonna say that!!! Esp. now that Happy Endings is no more. I miss her and she was great as the secret service agent.

Comment by meow – October 10, 2013 06:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • *Jaw drops*

Paget’s going to appear on “Community”?! Oh, that is freaking AWESOME.

Also, aw, yaaaaaay, Rachel’s coming back! I am so looking forward to this episode.

Comment by Angela – October 10, 2013 02:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wish Sean Saves The World would hurry up and get cancelled so we can start seeing these episodes.

Comment by Jo – October 10, 2013 02:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You had me at Paget Brewster.

Comment by Daniel – October 10, 2013 02:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YES. I absolutely loved Brie’s character, she was adorable. I was afraid that Dan would simply scrap that whole thing due to the fact that it was from season four.

Comment by Eric – October 10, 2013 02:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Rachel and Abed in the moooooorning! Oh wait..;)

Comment by Azerty – October 10, 2013 02:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glad Brie ia returning. Great guest stars they got for season 5.

Comment by Joey – October 10, 2013 03:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • People still watch Community?

Comment by Tomahawk Chop – October 10, 2013 03:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • *Looks at the seven responses above this one*
      Um, yes?

Comment by Angela – October 10, 2013 03:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • People still respond about shows they don’t watch?

Comment by Keith – October 10, 2013 04:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Damn, that dis made me snarf, yo!

Comment by Changtastic – October 10, 2013 10:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t think Sean Saves the World will get canned immediately. But I DO think Welcome to the Family will be canceled by the end of the month. Hopefully Community will take its time slot.

Comment by bill – October 10, 2013 03:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay, I LOVE Robert Patrick and will watch him in literally anything. He steals all the shows he is in and still kills me with those blue eyes and raspy voice. I wish he’d have his own show. He’s my idea of an older Christian Grey for an older version of 50 Shades of Grey. That would rock my world.

Comment by Ali – October 10, 2013 06:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Maybe it was the glasses throwing me off, but I totally didn’t realize that was Brie Larson in season 4. I do like Brie Larson, but that character failed to make an impression on me the first time around. I’m sure it will be better this time.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – October 10, 2013 11:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • can we keep brie on the show for longer? we need someone to replace troy and it would be nice to see abed in a different way to what his friendship with troy has shown us.

Comment by Alan – October 11, 2013 04:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I really like this idea :). I’d be perfectly fine with that.

Comment by Angela – October 11, 2013 05:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No!!!! I hate it when TV shows try and replace characters completely… it’s never a good idea.

Comment by Azilron – October 13, 2013 12:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I went over this site and I think you have a lot of excellent information, saved to bookmarks (:.

Comment by Furla Handbags – November 27, 2013 08:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post