CBS Pulls We Are Men, Schedules Mike & Molly's Return for November

we-are-men-premiereCBS has cancelled We Are Men after two episodes.

The comedy, which starred Jerry O’Connell, Tony Shalhoub, Christopher Nicholas Smith and Kal Penn as divorced men living in an apartment complex, will be replaced by 2 Broke Girls, which will move to 8:30/7:30 pm.

RELATED | Halle Berry to Star in New CBS Drama Extant

Mike & Molly‘s fourth season will debut on Nov. 4 in Girls‘ old Mondays-at-9 time slot. Encore episodes of The Big Bang Theory will fill the spot for the next two weeks.

We Are Men premiered last week to 6.4 million total viewers and a 2.0 demo rating, then dropped this week to 5.4 mil/1.8, effectively compromising 2 Broke Girl‘s performance at 9 o’clock.

1. MB says:

NGL, I thought Dads would be the first one to go.

• David4 says:

CBS has higher standards.

• Eurisko says:

this is all due to Jerry O’Connell making a deal with Satan right after Sliders ended. To be able to marry the goddess Rebecca Romijn ever show he’s in until the end of time will be terrible and cancelled after three episodes… it’s the price he must pay.

• Amanda says:

Dads started off wierd, but it actually got funny….so it isn’t going anywhere. I think it just needed to find it’s flow! You can’t just watched the first episode, you gotta go back and watch at least two more and see what I’m talking about.

• Paul says:

It doesn’t matter how funny or good it is. If people aren’t watching it, it’s going to get the axe. It’s days are numbered.

• I agree. I thought that Dads would get the axed because of all the uproar that Brenda Song’s character was send through the Asian Community.

2. Damon says:

Ha! Guess they gotta be men somewhere else than CBS.

3. Steve says:

Shocked! Shocked I am! /sarcasm

4. TV God says:

GOOD! Now 2 Broke Girls and Mom will be able to get better ratings without having to overcome the drop from We Are Men. So happy that this show is gone!!!

5. Toia says:

And the only people who are surprised by this are the makers of Dad’s. They where sure they would be the first to go. It looks like this year is going to be slit like last year as far as comedy’s go. I watched like two new ones just cuz u was too lazy or distracted to change the channel. Nothing looks good.

6. M3rc Nate says:

Have pilots always had such a horrible pickup rate? Especially with sitcoms, it seems like 1 in 15 are actually good. I knew this show, from the previews, was a flop and was gonna be cancelled so i never gave it a shot. Same with Dad’s. Same with “Mom’s” though i guess i was wrong about that one, apparently its super good? I gave B-99 a shot and loved it and i now anticipate the nights its on because of how funny it is. I think if it wasnt for the Avengers and being Joss run “Shield” would be on the brink #’s wise. Its stale, two-dimensional characters, not exciting etc.

• Mom is… decent. I still don’t see it lasting past this season. (Going by past years CBS tends to pull the lowest rated comedy in the fall, and then in the spring they cancel the lowest rated remaining comedy).

• j says:

I want to like Moms because I love allison janney but the pilot was cringe-worthy and I couldn’t make it to the end of the second episode

• DanT2590 says:

I watched a little of the Moms show cause I’d set the DVR to record 10 minutes longer, but I found myself checking my phone and playing a game after the first 5 minutes….then the DVR shut off before it was over. I like Allison J. but it just didn’t grab my attention.

• Auntie Ralph says:

That’s really that show’s problem. It has a lot of likeable people kicking around the writing is just very cringe-worthy.

A system I’ve been employing is: “Is the show about a family?” “Is there a teenage daughter?” “Can I define her character without using the word ‘bitch’?” If yes, yes, and no, I’ll probably bail.

• Eli says:

replace “bitch” with “pregnant” and you’ve got my yes, yes, no = bail pretty much. Almost every new show this season that features a 16/17 yr old teenage girl has a pregnancy storyline, what does that say about Hollywood and the US?

7. Dani says:

AWESOME!
    I hope “2 Broke Girls” is doing better again in the upcoming weeks. I’m also happy that “Mike & Molly” finally returns.

• Zayne says:

2 Broke Girls seems like nothing but dirty joke, dirty joke, Kat Dennings breasts are large ha ha, dirty joke, dirty joke. I just don’t get how it’s popular.

• Yup says:

Yeah, that is my assessment of the show too. I only watched a few episodes of 2 Broke Girls the first season. The show was funny at times, but is 90% dirty jokes. Not a prune, but yeah.

8. crog says:

Yet they keep hostages on. way to go cbs

9. Newo says:

well looks like Aus called this in yesterdays article.

10. Tran 2.0 says:

We Are Men is now the second new show of the Fall TV season to get canceled now joining Lucky 7 in the mix. Very good news for fans of Mike & Molly.

11. Michael says:

So I have to ask myself the ? I agree this show sucks, and I like hostages. But why would they cancel this before hostages? When the later has lower ratings, and has one more viewing over WAM. Is it because of the 15 episode limited run? Or because of it being buzzed about as a good show?

• Playhouse says:

Limited run and the real estate. 10pm can be important, but anything between 8pm and 10pm has more precedence.

• Marc says:

And, someone at the Eye must have seen that the scripts were not improving and the numbers were only going to get worse. You can have a great concept, cast, and characters, but if the scripts stink, the show is DOA. We Are Men had an okay concept, a half-decent cast, and stock characters. It needed top-notch writing and got second- and third-rate scripts. I have more important ways to spend my time and DVR space. Next, please!

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Because HOSTAGES enjoys decent Live+3 DVR playback, and quite possibly has been slightly handicapped thus far by MEN dropping the ball early in the evening.

12. Babygate says:

I honestly did not expect it to happen this fast. But I’m not surprised. The previews were bad. Not even Tony Shalhoub could save it. There was the one clip where Shalhoub’s character is setting up the younger guy with a much older woman while he goes out with the daughter and I cringed. This years’ new comedies are a disaster. The only one I haven’t sampled is Brooklyn 99 because I do not like the cast. But every other one I’ve checked out at least once and I find them all terrible.

• Eli says:

I wouldn’t say they are all terrible. But there’s a lot of mediocrity and uninspiredness going around, especially with the comedies. The only two that stand out for me are The Crazy Ones and the Michael J Fox show.
      I had some hopes for Back in the Game, but so far episode 2 and 3 have been disappointing.

13. THE TV CRITIC says:

Was D.O.A. from the beginning

Go ship it to Spike TV.

14. Babybop says:

Yikes. Shows don’t even get a chance these days. Not that this was a good show… It wasn’t. But still. Ha ha.

15. 3dhouseofmagic says:

Caught the last half of this last night and thought it was kinda cute (in a Cougar Town kind of way). Oh well!

16. ragincajun says:

CBS needs to move The Mentalist to Monday stat!!! Hostages can either be burned off on Saturday, and CBS can hold it to next summer and try to relaunch it with Under the Dome or Extant. CBS still has episodes of Unforgettable left over from this summer’s run that can air on Sunday at 10:00 until they can move The Mentalist back to Sunday at midseason to make room for Intelligence. Or who knows? If The Mentalist works on Monday, CBS can leave it there, give Intelligence the 10:00 timeslot on Thursday, and move Elementary to Sunday at 9:00 as a lead-in for The Good Wife at 10:00, which would probably benefit from the later timeslot.

• Lysh says:

I agree with this! Move The Mentalist anywhere that isn’t Sunday at ten, which usually ends up being 10:30 or 11 after football.

• JoyAnne says:

CBS are crazy leaving The Mentalist in that dreadful Sunday time slot. Your suggestion makes a lot of sense.

• liz says:

I dont see why they should substitute Elementary for The Mentalist when Elementary is just going to experience the same time delay problems. And Elementary is new so it can still build an audience – new people aren’t going to be tuning in for The Mentalist in droves, so risking growth for a new show vs an old show doesn’t make the most sense.
      They just shouldn’t air new programming when football runs over. Or re-air it at another time.

• ragincajun says:

I wasn’t saying to move Elementary now. If I were CBS, I would move The Mentalist to Monday at 10:00 with the plan to air it there until Intelligence premiere in February. The remaining episodes from Unforgettable’s second season could take over the Sunday 10:00 timeslot through November sweeps.

However, let’s say that The Mentalist surprises and does rather well on Monday. That would then give CBS an opportunity to go with Intelligence on Thursday at 10:00 in February because it could be a better demo show than Elementary. Elementary could then move to Sunday at 9:00 and The Good Wife could slide back an hour to 10:00, where it should have been airing all along.

17. Scotty says:

I saw the previews and was insulted as a divorced man… The sheer stupidity that eminated from the preview was overwhelming. Love 2 Broke Girls, was very surprised at the humor in Mom… Looking forward to the return of Mike & Molly

18. Aly says:

The Romijn-O’Connell’s are having a tough fall.

19. Boiler says:

So another show cancelled by networks where they thought it was better than what they have had. Unbelievable

20. TV Gord says:

Poor Jerry O’Connell can’t catch a break, can he? Then again, he can’t seem to pick and choose quality projects. I’m happy for Tony Shaloub and Kai Penn. They both deserved better than this. (Shaloub, especially, risked squandering his Monk-earned stature in television by stooping to do this ill-conceived show.

21. Sam says:

I’m not surprised at all. The only reason I was even giving it a chance was because of Tony Shalhoub and he deserves soo much better than this show, or anything like it.

• JoyAnne says:

It was because of Tony Shalhoub I tried it as well. It was a disaster waiting to happen and I couldn’t figure out why he would ever play the part. He is too good an actor for that. As for Jerry O’Connell. I loved him on Jordan and in this he is so over the top it is beyond being funny. Two fine actors who deserve better.

• Sam says:

If he wasn’t in it I would have never bothered because the previews didn’t look too good to begin with. I watched the first episode and barely half of the second. I have no idea why he’d be a part of it either but hopefully he’ll find something better soon. I do agree about Jerry O’Connell also, actually I think most of the people on the new shows deserve better.

22. Jared says:

Networks aren’t playin this season. Last season networks took forever to cancel low rated new series.

23. MB says:

Shocking! Any Jerry O show is crap.

24. bill says:

This is Jerry O’Connell’s 126th TV flop in a row. Why is he getting work? He is a show killer, and he sucks.

25. Boy, the fat kid from Stand by Me just can’t make it in television, can he?

26. Ducky says:

With all the programs like Breaking Bad, Dexter, SOA on the air getting all the buzz why would anyone in network even consider such tripe?

Complex characters, complex story lines don’t confuse the viewers as cable has proven. The viewers relish it. Yet season after season of premieres the networks goes back to stereotypes and mundane storytelling which quickly fails.

If the networks keep showing programs that insults the intelligence of the audience there won’t be an audience.

• Eli says:

While I desperately wish networks wouldn’t be as scared of more complex television as they are now, I also don’t think things are quite as simple as you make them out to be.

• Amy says:

I also agree about people want shows with more complex characters, and not mindless potty humour. I love Tony Shaloub, and was excited that he was going to be back on a show, but We Are Men just stunk. I already hated it before it aired because CBS kept pimpin’ it when I watched any videos on their website. “There’s a reason that thing comes with a belt!” Ugh, I wanted to scream every time I saw that stupid promo!

27. John Wilson says:

I knew this yesterday because I am an Aushole

28. DavidSask says:

Mom and Hostages now need to be cancelled!

29. wjrxyz says:

At least cbs has The Rules of Engagement to fill the slot of another failed show. Oh wait…

30. Miss Priss says:

For the next Man-Baby show the nets should just commit; have a show about three men who enjoy soiling their diapers and being changed and powdered by their long suffering wives. Let’s call it Goo Goo Gaga Guys, Single Babies or What’s Upchuck?

I am so ready for Josh Holloway to hit my airwaves again, bring on the real men.

• N tTVf says:

Nicely put – I do agree. It is hard to find a comedy on TV where men actually get to act like men, not the old ‘daddy is the dummy’, or ‘man-child looking for his mama’ – that sort of silly stuff.
      I think the 10pm Monday problem for CBS will go away once Intelligence reaches the airwaves, sometime in late February (post Olympics). Once Josh Holloway, Marg H. and co. get rolling, that show should do quite well. And then, we’ll see one of the best 3-way battles on network broadcast television between Intelligence, Blacklist and Castle – DVR time!

In the meantime, placing Mentalist in the 10pm Monday slot (as others noted up-thread) is a pretty compelling idea – I think CBS should take that risk and make that move leading up to Intelligence arriving in late Feb.

• april-ann says:

LOL Miss Priss!! Let’s not forget that the men are big fat whiny pasty white guys and the long suffering wives changing their diapers are gorgeous. They could call it “According to Jim Junior” or, sorry can’t remember the name of the one with Jamie Gertz.

31. DanT2590 says:

The only “new” show that I’m watching this season is THE CRAZY ONES. I like Robin Williams. I decided the way TV is now, I’ll wait to see if it gets to Netflix before investing time in a show that’s going to be cancelled. CBS should have kept RULES OF ENGAGEMENT! That was always a funny show and one I was delighted came back every middle of the season when other shows didn’t make it. So I guess I’m glad I didn’t waste an hour of my life trying out the show when it was cancelled after only 2 shows. They had some good/funny people in the show, but in the previews, it didn’t spark my interest enough to chance watching it.

• Bob Smith says:

I said the same thing about Rules. It was CONSISTENTLY funny. We are Men was…. well, i t was… sad. I felt bad for the actors. Can’t really believe they’re moving 2 Broke Girls to 8:30. That’s weird.

32. GuessWhat says:

seriously — how did this piece of crap even get on the air?

33. Estée says:

If this hadn’t been so poorly written it may have had a chance since it had a decent cast

• Estée says:

Just an additional thought maybe cbs should’ve picked up super Clyde obviously they feel like they missed out since they’re putting it online

• emor says:

Just watched Super Clyde. That was the greg garcia i love!! I couldn’t believe garcia was involved in the crap fest that was The Millers. Unfortunatley Super Clyde just didn’t have the supporting cast to tie the show together.

• Estee says:

Maybe we will get lucky & cbs will change their minds & pick it up. But I’d hope they keep Stephen Fry & Rupert Grint. They were incredible.

34. Jim says:

I guess i was one of the 3 idots that watched and kind of liked the show, it was tailor made for bitter loney men like myself lol

35. Sparky says:

Because Hostages is a Bruckheimer production they won’t cancel it, they will probably move it to Friday night and put H50 back on Monday. My money is on ABC to cancel Betrayal next. Prime TV real estate on Sunday night being wasted there.

36. Lisa Ray says:

Really mad @this! I liked this dhow and thought it was very funny. I’m pissed off. Wig cbs, u suck!

37. april-ann says:

I tried with this – I really did, being a fan of O’Connell, Penn and of course Shaloub. There were some things that were funny about it and if there had been time granted for tweaking it could have been good. It’s not like HIMYM at this point can offer it any kind of lead-in to make it anyway even if it had been good. Momentum is lost due to how bad HIMYM is now. A good lead-in is everything and its time for that has passed. So good for them that an established show is being placed after it, one that already has an audience. It will diminish their failure to be of any help.

That said I am absolutely thrilled for the return of Mike and Molly. What I don’t get however, is the lack of support for its return. Reruns of TBBT will “fill the spot for the next two weeks”?? Huh? That brings us to Oct. 27 when I would HOPE if any reruns are shown in the time slot it will be, um, reruns of Mike and Molly maybe?? I never did see the episode, I think it was the last one of the past season, where there was a storm and it was pre-empted due to devastating storms (I understand that). I looked but never found when it was eventually shown. If it’s returning with a new season, wouldn’t it stand to reason that they’d at least try to build it up with reruns of its own show?

• DanT2590 says:

Yea, they postponed the last show of the season because of the storm and the show was about a storm. Luckily, my DVR caught that there was a new one in the schedule and recorded it. I think it played on a Thrusday night without any warning.

38. drea kreth says:

Mike and Molly stinks also… after 2 episodes they decide it isn’t good enough? Give shows a chance!

39. MK says:

This was not the worst of all the comedies put out this year. I’m surprised they cancelled it that fast. I hope they find a better outlet for Tony Shalhoub. This just didn’t seem right for him, in my opinion. I suppose it’s difficult to find something so right as Monk was so soon after.

40. Kathy says:

I knew it. I was not surprise since the ads to this looked terrible. I thought this show would be cancelled first, but that honor went to Lucky 7.

41. damian says:

It must suck to be Jerry O’Connell… Poor guy can’t find a show!

42. Pat says:

I am so glad that Mike & Molly is returning sooner rather then later. It really mad me mad when I saw that thy were holding off on this show, just so they could preview a new one. So with that CBS, stop monkeying around with good and funny shows like Mike & Molly.

43. Bob says:

Nuts! I lost my bet. I gave it to the 3rd episode before it got canceled. Oh, well, the up side is that it’s off the air.

44. Nicole says:

I loved We Are Men. I thought it was so funny and waited each week for the next episode. I thought it was going to be around. I’m very disappointed- CBS, you needed to give it an opp to gain a audience.

45. Pam Harris says:

To tell you the truth; I couldn’t get excited about any of the new shows on any of the networks this season. I was a bit excited about Ironside; but last night’s show didn’t hold my interest. Even the networks didn’t advertise the new shows with any enthusisam this summer. It was as if the networks couldn’t get excited either. I was more concerned about seeing the older shows return. I am sorry that this is the last season of How I met your Mother. Heck now that there is a mother I’d like to see more. I like Two and a half men also, although they need to write better material. I tired of the old “Allen is a Moocher” jokes. I do miss Charlie Sheen to bad he messed up a good thing and the fans are the ones who loses. Not that Ashton isn’t good; he is.

46. Paul J. Reedy says:

Placing Mike and Molly as the Tent Pole at 9:00 is smart. They should have NEVER pushed it off to replacement status. I personally didn’t like We Are Men nor do I like Mom. Neither is funny. I like amusing funny comedies like Mike and Molly. As the saying goes CBS: If it’s not broke don’t fix it!

• DanT2590 says:

They’re now treating Mike and Molly like they did RULES OF ENGAGEMENT. Mike/Molly is a really funny show. I wish I could say I like that “mom” show. I only watched a few minutes, but it didn’t catch my attention in the first 5 minutes, so off it went. I’ll now see if it makes it before I become invested in it.

47. Mikael says:

I’m surprised 2 Broke Girls is going back to 8:30. It’s pretty inappropriate. I actually love the show, I’m just surprised because it’s not really 8-9pm material.

48. Elaine Peek says:

WHO SENT THE PICTURES TO HOPE?? I certainly hope the writters of the Bold & Beautiful bring out strong the devil (Wyatt’s mom) who sent the video – what a terrible mother to bring disaster to a loving couple just for her son’s sake. She should be sent to hell for such a terrible thing. If the writters don’t let Hope know that Wyatt’s mom did such a mean act to her, I will stop watching the show. It is obvious the writters are pushing Wyatt, TERRIBLE, let Lemn and Hope finally get married. Please, let something terrible happen to Wyatt’s mother, she should be burnt in hell. Also, i hope Eric can see thru her, he deserves the best. Please, please, let it come out who sent the video. Thank you.