Ratings: Supernatural Returns With 3-Year High, Ziva-Less NCIS Drops Behind S.H.I.E.L.D.

NCIS Ratings Drop Without ZivaDid NCIS leave some viewers behind in Israel with Ziva…?

TV’s most watched (and now Cote de Pablo-less) drama this Tuesday drew 18.3 million total viewers and a 2.8 demo rating (updated per finals), dropping 10 and 23 percent week-to-week.

In turn, ABC’s Agents of SHIELD (7.9 mil/2.9), though down 11 and 15 percent itself, edged out the CBS procedural in the demo — and all opposite a low-rated Voice clip show (10.2 mil/3.0), mind you.

Among the night’s premieres, The CW’s Supernatural christened its new Tuesday home with 2.59 million total viewers (its most watched premiere since 2010) and a 1.2 rating (its best demo delivery in three years). It was also up from its May finale (2.3 mil/1.0) and, of course, what Emily Owens did in the time slot a year ago (1.7 mil/0.5).

RELATED | Supernatural Stars on Sam’s New Reality, Brotherly Secrets and Cas’ Whereabouts

Opening The CW’s slate, The Originals‘ regular time slot debut did 1.92 mil/0.9, down a tick from its special Thursday prem but improving on Hart of Dixie‘s year-ago numbers (1.5 mil/0.7).

Elsewhere….

ABC | Leading out of SHIELD, The Goldbergs (5.7 mil/2.0 rating) dipped two tenths, Trophy Wife (4.7 mil/1.4) added some eyeballs and was steady in the demo and a Scandal rerun (3.2 mil/1.0) improved on Lucky 7‘s second/final episode (2.6 mil/0.7).

CBS | Despite NCIS‘ tumble, NCIS: LA (14.8 mil/2.6) and Person of Interest (11.7 mil/2.0) both ticked down just a tenth.

RELATED | The Voice Spoilers: 17 of 24 Season 5 Battle-Round Matchups Revealed!

NBC | With The Voice‘s clip show mustering just a 2.9 (versus last Tuesday’s 4.5), Chicago Fire (7.6 mil/2.1) fell 13 and 19 percent.

FOX | Dads was steady at 3.1 mil/1.3, Brooklyn Nine-Nine (3.4 mil/1.5) ticked up, New Girl (4 mil/2.1) gained a few viewers and two tenths in the demo and Mindy Project (3 mil/1.4) slipped a tenth.

1. Birdie says:

I really think S.H.I.E.L.D. is making a mistake by focusing too much on the younger characters and not enough on Coulson & May, Melinda May especially. I’m not finding Skye spunky, witty, smart or interesting and she’s quickly devolving into a damsel in distress that needs to be saved by someone else on the team. I can’t even remember young agent guy’s name. Wade? These two are quickly becoming a drag. Fitz & Simmons are okay, but really, the strength of the show lies in Coulson and May and the way those two interact with each other.

• dude says:

I have to respectively disagree. Skye is the only reason I’m watching. Coulson is fine in the Obi-Wan type of role but I don’t find him an interesting enough protagonist.

• Agreed. Skye and Ward are being thrown at us, but despite the focus on them? They aren’t very dynamic characters. We’re being sold on a sexual tension between them that I’m just not buying. She’s annoying and he’s insulting. (How many times did he tell FitzSimmons to speak English when they already were?) Oh no, his older brother beat him up. That doesn’t mean he’s allowed to push his issues onto other people and force them to learn his jargon when he’s unwilling to learn theirs. They are cookie cutter characters amid a background of characters that I’d like to know more about because they’re actually interesting. And anyone who came to the show excited about Coulson? They want Coulson. That’s all there is to it. I shouldn’t have to slog through predictable for the moments that break the mold a little which I do like. There’s a reason I turned to Agents of SHIELD and not NCIS.

• Katherine215 says:

I’m thoroughly annoyed by Skye, not too enthused by Ward, and kind of bored by May, maybe because she always looks bored/annoyed in her scenes (can’t blame her though). I actually like Fitz and Simmons, but it just feels like everyone is either overacting or the writing is just overdone. I expected much better writing and character development from a Joss Whedon show, sadly.

• Len says:

Joss Sheldon and character development???

Okay yea sure he does finally get around to it. The problem as always is the wait until he does. He throws out these characters. Elle you nothing abit them. Feeds you a line about them each epsiode. After a couple seasons he has finally given you the character sketch for the character.that every other show and movie gives you in the pilot.

It’s been how josh has always done things, and it sucks, and his tv viewership numbers show it sucks. Sure there’s a minority that like that style. However the majoirty have consistently shown they do not like it.

• Dennis says:

can anyone convert this to English? who is joss Sheldon and who is josh? Whedon writes some of the best TV I’ve ever seen his characters have depth

• Len says:

Yep I love the depth of Fitz Simmons on the show. Such deep characters. I’m sure they will be though should the whoever make season three.

• Sadie says:

Yeah, but this person makes a valid point. Joss takes too long setting up his world and plot before getting to the character development (a la Firefly and Dollhouse). I honestly think this is a big part of why Buffy managed to stay on the air despite a campy first season – he developed the characters early on and people fell in love with them right away, and eventually it turned out to be a fantastic show.

I don’t especially like any of the Agents of Shield characters yet, though. This show needs more character development and less lame action movie shtick, imho.

• Lola says:

Who is Joss Sheldon? Also, who is Josh?

• Kim says:

Josh Sheldon is a hack writer that yes does everything you are claiming. Joss Whedon is kinda’ a nerd icon and is amazing.

• courts says:

Right? The agent, I think his name is Ward? Is not good. Melinda and Phil are much better and stronger, Fitz-Simmons are cute though.

• Milaxx says:

Agreed, the more interesting stories really seem to be those of Coulson & May. Instead we get bland Skye.

• Esaul says:

I’m only in this for Coulson personally.

• cernicalo says:

I agree with you on this. Both Skye and Ward take themselves far too seriously and I certainly don’t see any chemistry there. Fitz & Simmons are fun but my major viewing pleasure is in Coulson’s humor and in the mystery that is May.

• Christina says:

I’m honestly most interested in Fitz-Simmons. I was sold after that Hermione Granger reference in the first minute.

• Evyn says:

Agreed I find Skye more and more annoying with each episode, I hope they tone down the focus on her, not really fond of Ward ether. I do like the rest of the characters

2. kate says:

I guess all those people saying they were done with Supernatural actually weren’t done.

• Carrie says:

Why would anyone be done with SN at this point? It’s still awesome, and last night’s premiere proved that.

• Mike says:

I’m done with Supernatural since season 5… but I LOVE Agents of SHIELD.

• kate says:

Honestly, I have no idea. I still think it’s good but there’s a very loud bunch of people who INSIST it sucks and they’re going to stop watching.

• rowan77 says:

These are the same people who say things like “most of us fans hate Cas,” and “Most of us fans think Sam [or Dean, depending on who they love more] has no story anymore,” Of course all of this is pure conjecture. Even with some bumps and awkward adjustments, last season was a big improvement from seasons 6 & 7 (both of which did have some amazing episodes, though. Sera Gamble’s “Death’s Door” was one of the best of the entire run of the show). Last night’s episode was just fantastic. I wish there was Crowley on screen, but I’m greedy – and I like that Cas gets his own storyline as his character explores his humanity. Very excited to watch more this season!

• kimberly says:

I know a few people who started watching Supernatural recently through Netflix. It may have gained new fans which makes up for the ones it has lost.

• cassie says:

judging by the ratings obviously not, guess i’m the only one who did’nt bother to watch it & don’t intent to, as for those who say it sucks if you know a couple of things abt shows in general, you can come out with the following problems, continuity & consistency issues to both characters & story especially in s8 (example ep6-7) & in regard of the already established mythology of the 1rst 5 seasons, example 8×12: granpa winchester was alive & kicking at 4×3 & it was never mentioned before that john had daddy issues, so that story came out of nowhere. then we pass to repetitivenes how many times there was something wrong with sam & dean went overboard to save him (dead sam-demon deal, souless sam-death deal, halucifer-emanuel/cas cure, now trials decease-angel cure/possesion, actually saw a gif set pointing that out with dean making the deal with the demon back in s2 & making the deal with the angel in this one (spoilers made it obvious). then how many times sam scr*** dean & then like magic it was like nothing happened, s8 being a fine example of it, add to that the constant pimping of special sam & dean never getting a damn arc (also repetitive mode) & you got your answer of what is wrong with it, actually the problems started when kripke left (5 year plan ended) which also makes sense cause it’s standard once the creator is out & producers take over things always go downhill, why this time should be different. if it was’nt for jensen (& misha) i would stop watching back then as i did with every other show that run it’s actual course & stayed on (either repeating it self or with completely ridiculous storys) only for tptb to gain more money, spn entered that category long time ago, suspect the only reason is still on air is because people who did’nt watch it from get go started watching during the seasons that followed, others at s4 others at 5 & on & on 6,7,8 replacing the ones who watched from get go & drop it because they had enough

• sherri says:

I agree season 5 and 6 were lacking. They took major characters like Eve, and devoted only a few episodes to this sttoryline. Then they gave Leviathon a 2 year arch.meanwhile, Ms. Gamble seemed to take great delight in killing off the beloved supporting actors, like Bobby. Season 7 was pretty much geared toward damage control. Trying to go back to the biblical themed main story I am not in their main demographic for a fan. I am in my 50s. This to me even in the dark years, has been one of the most entertaining programs on air. If you want repitition watch N.C.I.S.

3. Patrick says:

Welcome back Ziva. If this trend continues through Christmas, tptb will sign a blank check to get Cote back.

• Maria says:

She may not be interested for all the money in the world.

• Bob Smith says:

According to de Pablo, it was never about the money, but a personal decision. What makes any of you think she would walk back in for more money?

• Patrick says:

I agree that it wasn’t about money. But, in my experience, there is usually a sum of money that will overcome non-monetary issues.

This is just guess work by me, but I think Cote wants to have a child. She is at the right age, she has plenty of money, and is in a long term relationship. Marriage and kids, if she wants them, are next on the card.

Well, a year to a year and a half would be ample time for that. She could return next year, or next Christmas, with her family situation cleared up. Newborns aren’t really problems on TV sets. Most of these studios have great day cares (for the talent/top execs), and Cote could have a nurse/nanny with the sprog in her trailer. Lots of downtime for her to spend with her kid as well.

Because, again, CBS will sign a blank check and a blank sheet of paper for her to fill in to get her back.

• elana says:

NCIS was down 1 million from this time last year. That is almost exactly the same number that NCIS LA dropped from this time last year against last night. Who did they lose?

• NCIS4evr says:

It’s actually less than a million down from the third episode last year (18.5). In it’s 11th freaking season, not too shabby. And the demo has been dropping for a few seasons now, so not unexpected. It seems many have daggers drawn where NCIS is concerned, just hoping it will fail. If lower ratings mean getting rid of the hate mongers who only cared about one character, and have now apparently made it their life-goal to bash the show and anyone involved, then so be it, I’m good, I liked last night’s NCIS episode a lot, btw.

• John 1138 says:

Yes on last nights ep of NCIS: I actually flipped the order of watching I’d intended and watched NCIS live (I’d expected to just sample until Agents had built a lead on my dvr but found myself drawn into the storyline). Gibbs was having more fun, Abby got more well deserved screen time (and seemed a bit less overly manic) and all in all it was an entertaining show, IMHO.

• Mike Hammer says:

Guess you did not listen to Gibbs/Harmon in his kiss off for Ziva/Depablo. Cold as ice he tells the crew that Ziva/depablo “wanted to move on, so let’s move on.” That was it. Like an icepick through the eye. Over. Done.

• cernicalo says:

I LOVED that line! It was a truth spoken to the rabid Ziva fans who keep bashing the show and everyone involved with it just because of CdP’s personal decision to walk. It was a very ‘Gibbs’ thing to say, too. No use wasting useless emotion on something you can’t change but we’ve still got a job to do, so let’s get to it.

Well, we still have a great show to watch — which was epitomized by a wonderful episode last night. All of the characters made a huge step back towards the NCIS I love.

• John 1138 says:

Agreed with the underlying sentiment: develop the characters you’ve got, not the one you’ve lost.

• lame says:

How about bringing back Roma Maffia for a few more eps., she was great fun. Whomever thought of bringing this character out of the blue is genius.

• Julie says:

I don’t understand the logic. Is it possible to have liked Ziva, as I do all the characters, be sad that she’s gone (as I was when Kate left), and still watch the show? Or do all of you think that it’s only possible to either be a crazy fan who loves her and refuses to watch without her or hate her and not be able to tell the difference between the actress and the character? I wish that she was still on, could’ve gone either way on Tiva, and will still watch long after she’s gone. Half of you think the Ziva and Tiva fans are rabid but those of you who don’t like her seem to be just as “rabid” in your dislike. In my opinion you all are way too invested in one albeit entertaining but still not-real-life television show.

• suzi says:

THIS—a thousand times.

• Carolyn says:

I think it is possible to like Ziva, understand that she has left and find the replacement so irritating, annoying and unbelievable that you can no longer enjoy the show. I also understand that if it was your favourite show that you had watched for 10 years, you would do everything possible to get rid of the character.

Now do you understand even though you are not required to agree? It’s called respecting another point of view.

• as524 says:

What trend? NCIS happens to be on par with where they were last season – you remember that yes? The over promoted Season of tiva??

• Kate says:

Sorry to break it to you, Patrick, but 18.33m (compared to last year’s 18.51) isn’t going to have CBS writing that open check anytime soon. Still the #1 show and going strong with a fun and fast-paced Ziva-less episode last night. And if they ever did feel like throwing money at someone I’d much prefer they gave it to a talented popular actress who actually WANTS to be there.

4. Nicole says:

Hope once the numbers are in for Person of Interest that they will be good. Last nights episode was awesome!!! Love when the whole team works together!

• John 1138 says:

That was the third show I watched last night. Agreed: a great episode. Carter has been growing on me as I must say to my surprise has been Fusco: maybe it’s they’re out from under (somewhat) the irritation, to me, of the HR storyline? Anyway they were having fun last night and the show clicks for me when they’re having fun.

5. Maki says:

Surprised The Originals held pretty steady against tough competition. I think when people start to devied it from The VD it could be really Great, cause the cast is exceptional and the writers are a lot more creative with them.
    Claire Holt is just so powerfull in her performances.

• dude says:

Oh god she’s the best. And she really got to shine in this episode which was so nice because they underuse her so often. I hope she has a role this big in the rest of the series because she’s their true star.

6. Venkman007 says:

SHIELD is missing….”something”, and I can’t put my finger on it. Regardless, I’m in this for the long run. Once it’s done, then so am I.

• Lisa London says:

I agree. I really had high hopes for it but I only like it, I don’t ‘love’ it. It certainly has to do with the weak dynamic between Skye and Ward. As least, the tone if fun and camp, very Whedon.

• Patrick says:

It is, isn’t’ it. I have to admit that I don’t like Chloe. She has no formal training, yet she is just amazing. It was like they tried to shoe horn in Buffy to Shield. She just shows up, and is good to go.

And, while I find the techies adorable, I can barely understand what they are saying. Part of that is the accents, and part is the mixing. The soundtrack is way too loud.

• Jax says:

The character of Ward is annoying and the actor who plays him is not very good. It’s hard to like a show when you find yourself hating the leading man. Get rid of him and it would be much better.

• Lysh says:

I’ve been trying to figure it out. I feel like we’ve been given these characters that we’re just sort of supposed to automatically like, but I’m wondering why should I care about them if I don’t know them? So maybe it’s lacking depth and mystery. I love Joss but TV has changed since Buffy and Dollhouse.

7. Babybop says:

Happy for Brooklyn 99. I found I enjoy the show a million times more when Gina has no screen time.

8. Daniel says:

Would be nice to see the actual viewer numbers instead of only the demo.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Hi, Daniel! “Much more to come….”

• Daniel says:

Sorry Matt, I am too impatient ;)

• Darlene says:

Matt, why are the demo numbers for Voice, SHIELD, and NCIS all down below a 3? That doesn’t make sense. Where did the 18-49 folks go for all 3 shows?

And NCIS’ total viewers was pretty much on par with their numbers this time last year (when Ziva was there). In fact, except for You Better Watch Out and Gone last year, the show was getting 16.5 – 17.5 million viewers weekly until the new year.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Shows don’t sell ads against total viewership, however. Demos drive the price.

• THE TV CRITIC says:

Loser mentality.

Total viewership truly determines a show’s staying power.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Hey, I’m a huge fan of reporting/keeping tabs on total viewers. That’s why I bother including those numbers, while some sites don’t. After all, ultimately P2+ denotes if more or fewer people are watching a show. But beyond that (and splashy “TV’s Most Watched Network” promos), total audience doesn’t stir the drink when it comes to those who buy/sell ads.

• Darlene says:

I do understand that demos drive everything (so I’ll be suddenly irrelevant as a viewer in 4 years), but the demos for all 3 shows seem very low, so I’m curious about that.
            So is there any value in the demos added for DVR viewing? Seems like networks bragged about their shows increasing in the demo with the DVR results, but aren’t many people like me? I don’t sit through any commercial of my DVR programs. How is that valuable to advertisers? Or is it just bragging rights for networks?

• DarkDefender says:

Maybe the demo were watching baseball? I know I was.. Then I watched S.H.I.E.L.D. on my DVR.. I loved last nights episode (thought the first 2 were just “good”).. It’s getting better each episode – as most first year shows do.. I think expectations are too high, expecting an encapsulated story of movie quality each week.
          P.S. If you weren’t sure in the first two eps, you got to be now: Coulson is LMD.

• Andrea says:

I agree that baseball will be part of the ratings conversation throughout October.

• John 1138 says:

I’d say that makes sense: some major market teams are involved….

• Doug H says:

Especially with Red Sox still in it… Also Dodgers though their games will not be in prime time on the west coast except the first part for late innings which in close games get the best ratings anyway,,,, Fox has the ALCS and World Series…

• Jon says:

@Darlene, re: your demo question, The Voice aired a clip show with a summary of this season’s Blind Auditions, not original content. Honestly, I’m impressed that they pulled 10 million viewers and a 2.9 in the demo for a clip show — the highest 18-49 ratings of any program last night.

9. alistaircrane says:

Yes!!! I am so happy for Supernatural! I am eagerly anticipating a tenth season and beyond! I love my Winchester boys!!!

10. Ashley LOVES SAMCRO! says:

The end…..for NCIS? love the show but this is what they get for letting ziva go although it was cote de pablo’s decison not to come back. It’s not the same w/out her!

• Larc says:

One week does not a season make! NCIS was doing well before Ziva came along and can do well without her. They will quickly find their “legs” again and will be back on top.

• I thought the episode was much better without her. We concentrated on the case and the friendly banter with the guys. So glad the angst-ridden soap opera wasn’t there.

• Angie says:

I agree with you Diane, if people/viewers were expecting to see the same kind of show w/o Ziva, I can see why they were disappointed. Please keep in mind people, we are FINALLY done with Mossad (sp) hopefully & the past shows with Ziva were so concentrated on Ziva that we have GOT to give the writers,etc a chance to plot/plan other story lines.Personally I am glad Ziva is gone & now all the other characters may be given a chance. There are a lot of stories to be seen with all the other characters, plus the “men” on the show DO NOT have to appear to be so meek in order to let Ziva shine. I wish NCIS the best & hopefully others will allow them to shine BEFORE all the downgrading starts! Let’s at least give them a chance!! Thanks Matt for all the info you provide to us. YOU ROCK!!!

• tp says:

How is it “what they get” for letting Ziva go when it was her decision? I really liked the Ziva character but honestly if they hadn’t kept pointing it out I wouldn’t have noticed she was gone.

• Maria says:

This is what they get? Wow. I miss Ziva/Cote too, but why gloat when the numbers are down? It’s as if you’re wishing for the show to fail…a show that probably employs hundreds of people on either side of the camera. Are you really wishing for hundreds of people to be minus their jobs?

• Boiler says:

17 million people watching live should not kill a show

11. Mike B says:

shield’s ratings decline reminds me of Terminator SCC, Bionic Woman etc… good or even huge numbers for the first episode and then just down, down, down. The demo numbers are ok-ish, but 7,7mil viewers are bad in my book… especially for such a hyped show with a “big” title. I personally just saw the first episode… wasn’t bad, but it didn’t keep me interested to be honest…

• dude says:

Especially for a show this expensive. If the ratings don’t go up, I think they’re done.

• MikeyM says:

I would guess some type of retooling at some point before it fades out slowly.
        The show is not very well written or even exciting.

• Mike B says:

well… in this day and age a 2.8 is still ok… and they invested too much to let it go after one season… I predict 3-4 seasons

• Tookie Clothespin says:

I don’t think so. It is a property that is owned by Disney which also owns ABC so, this entire show is in house. It’s not like they are paying some other studio for the rights to the show. I remember reading somewhere that when that is the case stations can withstand lower ratings for a show. Not to mention that the demo numbers are fairly solid.

• Jax says:

@dude – It was the #2 show of the night in the key demo. Let’s not write its eulogy just yet.

12. Elyse says:

don’t get me wrong I like Shied but I don’t love it. I don’t think it lives up to the hype but I enjoy watching it every week. NCIS on the other hand… Zivas exit was terribly boring… by the end of the episode I was yelling “JUST LEAVE!” I’m excited to see what NCIS does without her. I’m glad the Originals was steady with a 0.9. that’s pretty good for a CW show! hope they can keep up next week!

• TV Gord says:

I seem to recall a story a few months ago that they shook up the writing staff, because a few episodes after the pilot weren’t up to par. I hope that means the show will be hitting its stride soon.

• Elyse says:

that’s awesome to hear! I hope it’s true. don’t get me wrong I still watch because it’s a good show but it’s not what I thought it would be. I’ll keep watching though and hopefully it improves!

13. Gerald says:

Supernatural has found a home, and I guess less competition, so they can have a decent audience. Love that show.
    I could care less about the Originals. I watched last week, but gave up this week. Claire Holt is great and I hope to see her on Vampire Diaries again soon. I’mm be watching Shield at 8pm.

14. TV Fan says:

I think this was the best NCIS episode of the season. The Ziva episodes were awful.

15. meem says:

Ten million more people watched NCIS than SHIELD, yet the latter “won” because of a slightly higher rating in the precious demo. But honestly, are young people making their purchasing decisions based on TV advertising? Of course not; they’re on the internet. But older people still do. It is way beyond time for the industry to take a good long hard look at their ratings systems, and corresponding advertising rate systems.

• Elyse says:

I’m 24 and I absolutely refuse to watch commercials. even if I watch a show “live” I start it 15 minutes late so I can fast forward through the commercials. their ratings system is ridiculous. I got a survey from Nielson in the mail a few weeks ago and I hope they ask me to have a ratings box in my house because I feel like my voice isn’t being heard. I watch A LOT of TV but since I don’t have a Nielson box it isn’t counted.

• lorna says:

I totally agree with you, 10 million more viewers and its put at #2 after a show with 7 million viewers, the rating system sucks. I have 2 nieces and 4 nephews between 20 and 26 and i know they certainly dont bother watching the commercials, they’re out to the kitchen or somewhere when the 8 minutes of ads start.

• Elf says:

Advertisers don’t spend billions every year without having done all of the research you suggest, and more. The fact is that by age 50 many consumers are set in their ways and are hesitant to try new products. As for NCIS and several other older-skewing shows, they know exactly how much of their audience, such as my father who loves NCIS, live on a fixed income and don’t have disposable income.

But despite DVRs, younger consumers still see lots of commercials. Even when fast-forwarding through commercials something may still catch their eye. There was as study done about how to make commercials noticeable and memorable even if only seen in FF, mostly by having fewer moving images and big, static words on the screen.

• Maryann says:

I worked in advertising research for a number of years. Executives have pre-conceived notions and are set in their ways. No amount of factual information about who their best target demo is, or who buys the most advertised products, is going to change that.

• THE TV CRITIC says:

Who cares!

I guess you don’t remember TV back then.

• Boiler says:

This 60 year old does watch commercials to see what may be better out there. I also feel that if this is really the way it is done it is not fair to the older folks. As the population keeps aging networks will have no viewers if this is the case.

Elf I am sure what you are saying is correct but it is grossly unfair to what may now be the majority of TV viewers

• TV Fan says:

The 60 year olds watch the commercials more than the 18-49 year olds. They go out of their way to avoid them. Why do you think so many people watch them on DVR’s anymore? It’s more convenient and they don’t have to watch commercials.

16. MikeyM says:

If all these people rating it A, why are the ratings so bad. This show is dull. Fouls on is a good supporting character but not a lead and the rest of the cast is boring.

17. Rae says:

This is what they get for letting Ziva go? Get what? 17.9 MILLION people watched last night!!!! I’ve always liked Ziva but the show without her last night was great. NCIS can stand on it’s legs without Ziva. One character is not the glue that holds the show together. So the demo was 2.9, the show isn’t going anywhere and especially not by Xmas. I am so sick of hearing about the demo. I know what you all will say, stop reading the comments, and I will because I am so sick of the demo. Shield fans can’t say anything about NCIS because it premiered with 12 million and has now dropped to 7 million. That’s what ABC gets for barking up the NCIS tree!! All we heard leading up to premiere week was that Shield was going to kick NCIS a**. Well no one can say that almost 20 MILLION people watch any other show LIVE!!!

• THE TV CRITIC says:

The purpose of that show was to be like Survivor was to Friends-take a chunk of the audience.

So far the results are minimal.

18. Stacey says:

NCIS will adjust. It was natural to go down this week. Although it was a big drop. But it will likely adjust up a tenth or two in the finals, released later. And viewership will likely over 18 million in the finals. As the second half hour increased by nearly one million viewers. Also Voice has been against it. It will now leave the timeslot for the Biggest Loser starting next week. So I assume NCIS will get back some of it’s viewership. It’s HH might increase to. Anyone would love NCIS viewership in it’s 11th year. It will probably go up again.

19. Rae says:

Definitely agree…it is time to get rid of the Nielsen and find a new ratings system. I am in the 18-49 demographic but am not counted.

• THE TV CRITIC says:

The demo factor should be part of a breakdown report, not a main focus.

The 18-49 (which is too board) needs to be broken down like this:

18-34

35-49

Two totally different demos with the income making being a huge difference.

20. Rae says:

Well said Stacey and good point about its 11th season!! I forgot to mention that in my comment. NCIS has almost 20 MILLION week to week in its 11th season!!! Can’t argue with that!!!!!!! Other shows can only dream about that many LIVE viewers!!!

• Stacey says:

And the fact when DVRs are added in, NCIS will go over 20 million. Ratings seem to be down all the around. I think more people are taping, and watching later. Unless it’s a big show… The fact that it’s still getting boffo viewership. Yes, HH is going down but it’s year 11. Only natural. But viewership is still out of this world.

21. Drew says:

Like I said, SHIELD continues its decline. As I said, I expect it to settle at about half of its premiere numbers. Possibly less if it has an extended winter hiatus (any word on that?).

Good news for Supernatural though!

22. eric' says:

For me, its The Originals that I’ll watch live and DVR SHIELD. The person before said it best, there’s something missing from SHIELD, and I can’t pinpoint it either, but it has yet to become MUST-SEE. If things don’t improve, I’ll cut it loose. Strange, ABC use to be my most watched network, and now there’s really nothing keeping my attention on Tuesday nights. I use to watch ABC programming M-F and Sunday, now its just Monday, Thursday, and Sunday (and thats only because of OUAT!)

23. Loved the new NCIS episode. So glad Ziva is gone. Now perhaps we can enjoy the friendly banter with Tony and crew instead of the angst-ridden soap opera it was becoming.

24. THE TV CRITIC says:

The Ratings Systems needs a complete overhaul and needs to return to levels like seen back then. They are just focusing on a demo (especially 18-34) that virtually does not have the disposable income to purchase enough. It is a loser demo. Its also ruining the ability to make quality shows standout on OTA since they eventually tend to skew older-that is why there is a migration to cable.

You can use that demo as part of a breakdown but not as a main focus.

• Tookie Clothespin says:

I have this conversation with my boss all of the time. And I feel that just like him, you are wrong about the money thing. 18-34 year olds, of which I am one, spend ALL of their money. They save nothing. They (we) will buy all kinds of crap just for the hell of it. People in their mid thirties are starting families so they watch their spending more closely. And after 50 people are saving for retirement and older than that they are retired and living on fixed incomes. The only demographic that can be talked into blowing money on anything shiny that is thrown in front of them is that 18-34 demographic and that is what advertisers want and need.

• Ashley says:

I disagree, at least in my experience. Before the age of 30, I didn’t have money to blow on stuff – I bought whatever was cheapest; I work with college kids now and they’re in the same boat. Now that I’m in my mid-30’s I’m more financially secure and looking to purchase more things for my home and life. My parents, in their 60’s, are always buying stuff and eager to try new things – they worked hard and supported their family and now they’re ready to have a little fun! I think a lot of advertisers are missing out by discounting the large population of older baby boomers.

• THE TV CRITIC says:

SMH

• Lola says:

The demo isn’t 18 to 34. It’s 18 to 49. And the age not only has a lot of disposable income, but most of its income is spent on commodities, rather than saving.

• Pete says:

OK TV CRITIC we get it. You are a NCIS fan who’s life is so wrapped up in the show that you are personally outraged and offended that anyone dare suggest another show could beat it. You will now spend the rest of the day spouting off useless drivel in defense of your precious. Wow, and you call us the loser demo.

• THE TV CRITIC says:

Go study your history book, young one

I guess you would be a fan of Supertrain! and The David Cassidy Mysteries since they ratings that would be acceptable by today’s ratings standards.

25. Jim says:

10 Million more people watched NCIS than Shield and the headline is “NCIS drops behind shield”?????

26. Jenny says:

The actress who plays Skye is awful. How she ever got such a role…. She’s not like able or believeable at all. I noticed coulson hasn’t been on point either, he’s like a deer in headlights. I think it was crucial to get interesting compelling characters for the show to work. And that’s not the case here unfortunately.

• Dark Defender says:

I think you are missing the point. Skye is green and rough around the endges. If she improves – take it as character development.. she is not meant to be perfect from the get-go. As for Coulson – he is not the same as AVENGER’s Coulson.. –> because.he.died. He reacts differently and as we saw last night “has no muscle memory” because he is a Life Model Decoy. He is now mechanical.. and those sutleties will play out.. I cannot remember the last time people had such precoceived notions about what a TV show should be and weren’t willing to at least judge it on a season (or even half season) of shows – and not just the first 3.

27. Boiler says:

I am not picking on any show but this is what is wrong with demos and ratings. NCIS has more than twice the viewers and all Matt really talks about how Shield moved above it inb the demo. As TV Critic says above 18 to 34 in this economy have no money. Also the population is aging so somehow they need to figure out how to cater to older viewers. This is just nuts and good shows get cancelled because of it!!!

• THE TV CRITIC says:

Also to point out, ignoring the older viewers is blatant discrimination by Nielsen.

I wonder if shows like Golden Girls and Empty Nest would have survived in today’s climate.

• Meg says:

18-34 demo may not have as much money but they’re more willing to try different brands and products. Older consumers tend to have stro

• THE TV CRITIC says:

That’s not the point in determining quality programming and true viewership.

• Elf says:

What does quality programming have to do with anything? Quality programming does not automatically translate into ad dollars. The financial bottom line is all that any network cares about. If NBC could air a show that only had five viewers, but they could charge a million dollars a minute for commercials aimed specifically at those five viewers, they’ll put in on and keep it on as long as they could keep collecting those checks.

• Dav says:

You have a serious misunderstanding of what the rating system is for. The purpose is not to measure the popularity of a show. The purpose is to measure viewership of the commercials. Nielson works for the advertisers not for you. And for the record Nielson DOES NOT discriminate against older viewers. They collect information on ALL kinds of stuff. They know how many 50+ viewers watch a show and they know a lot of other demographic information as well. But again, the advertisers choose to focus on a particular demographic so that is what gets reported most of the time.

28. Mikael says:

I’ll admit that SHIELD has some issues, but I’m still defending it because it’s a Joss Whedon show and his shows always take forever to get really good. Some shows just have a slow burn. For example, Continuum on Syfy was only ok in my opinion, and then bam! at the end of season 1 it became must-see for me. I think people expected SHIELD to be amazing right out of the gate. If it weren’t a Marvel property, I bet more people would cut it some slack. I will say that I wish it was just a slight bit darker, along the lines of Alias and Fringe. But it’s supposed to be a comic book tv show, so it does kind of work. And they need to stop focusing so much on Ward. He’s the weakest link.

• THE TV CRITIC says:

You got to give it time to build the storylines to setup the boom, even if it means filling it with filler episodes in between.

• Drew says:

Shows that take a while to get going are usually cancelled after the second episode these days. Lone Star was a far superior show and it was cancelled a week after it premiered.

Buffy’s first episode showed great promise. Good characters. A cast that we wanted to cheer for. A clever twist on the genre.
      Angel’s first episode was probably one of its best. The more it went on, the worse the show got.
      Firefly was a slam dunk from the jump.
      Dollhouse never should have happened.

What I’m saying is that it has been three episodes now and we are still waiting for signs of intelligent life on this show. There are many shows with great first episodes and solid follow-up episodes. SHIELD is working on a formula that reminds me of 1980’s shows like Knight Rider. That is why it hasn’t held onto viewers. The show may become truly great, but people are not being irrational when they expect more by this point.

• Anne says:

“Firefly was a slam dunk from the jump.” Yes to this. Loved it from the first show and by the end of that episode, I could not wait to see the next one. It never dissappointed. Just got better and better.

• Dark Defender says:

YES.. “Firefly was slam dunk from the jump”.. I am totally using this in a conversation, every day, for the rest of my life.

thankyou. :D

• Len says:

If you mean as in slamming the button on a dunk tank, sure,

29. Youknowho says:

While the Shield is doing okay, it needs to really focus more on the Characters. Skye is really out of place, and doesn’t seem to fit into the show at all.

But I wouldn’t mind seeing more May and less Ward and Sky ;)

As someone else suggested it’s just missing something, not sure what but it doesn’t have that pow that it should have.

30. ChrisGa says:

Agree with nearly everyone regarding that intangible, “missing” element from SHIELD. It’s by no means terrible and hardly offensive–it’s just kinda “there”, so to speak. I think part of my reservations is the Coulson character–I was never enamored with him in the films and, while I like Clark Gregg in smaller doses(he was great in Old Christine), I don’t think he or the character have the gravitas needed to carry a show. And while I like most of the cast, they’re trying very hard to make the character of Skye happen, not to mention setting up a romantic entanglement with Ward. Oh, and did I mention, there’s no chemistry between Skye and Ward? Yeah, good luck trying to make that happen.

31. Dani says:

this episode of SHIELD was much stronger than the previous two. i still think the main guy agent (Wade is it?) can’t act and i find myself cringing every time he’s on screen, but i did enjoy the episode. p.s. i need more melinda may!!!!!

32. Jared says:

I really thought that SHIELD was gonna be this HUGE show but judging by the ratings clearly it isn’t. ABC can’t be that happy with those ratings and the fact that it keeps falling week to week.

33. ralph says:

SHIELD is enjoyable, but still needs work. Like Fitz and Simmons but their respective accents are WAY too thick, I have to rewind sometimes to understand what they are saying.

So happy for Supernatural, one of the best shows out there, even in it’s 9th year.

• Andrea says:

I think SHIELD is for a very specific audience. I’m a big NCIS fan, but I recorded SHIELD on DVR. I knew it was Marvel and superheroes are not my thing. However, I like Ming-Na and Clark Gregg, so I thought I could enjoy the show for them. Got through about 20 minutes of the pilot, but I was really not interested. Just wasn’t my thing regardless of when it airs live or what goes on at NCIS.

34. JoyAnne says:

NCIS this week was great. The guest actress was so funny in her scenes with Tony. As for McGee. I like seeing him getting good s/l’s. Coming up with the idea to get friends of Abby’s to tweet the progress of that plane was well thought out in this day and age. As for watching live or DVR. I wonder how many people do the same as me. I may watch a new show to check it out while DVRing my favourite. This lets me watch that in my own time and I can watch it again when it is a really good episode. And I don’t ff commercials as I’m relaxing and I have patience. :-)

• TV Fan says:

I agree. Great episode. I start the DVR at 8:00 for NCIS and then start watching at 8:15 so I can skim past the commercials. lol

35. Maryann says:

I have only seen the pilot of SHIELD since I am on vacation this month. Two points: 1) I will watch at least a half season since it is from Joss and his shows build and 2) I really like Melinda May and Coulsen. The rest are take or leave. So here’s hoping their characters are also developed.

36. N. MacKintosh says:

Problem with TV and Ratings is that it has no basis in reality. In the entertainment industry is is all politics, smoke and mirrors. The present day writers can’t support a show for any length of time and hove zero imagination. Look at some of the shows from the 40’s through 70’s that still have solid followers and lasting enjoyable characters, stories and stellar acting. The industry today needs a top down flush. Remakes of old shows or basing shows on comic books – really! Shield I couldn’t even sit through one show. NCIS, loved it and it has lost most of my love, same with the CSI brand. Shows like lost and the reality shows , I can’t even waste the electricity or time for. My TV as well as movie viewing in near zero due to the complete lack of entertainment value.

• Drew says:

Okay, I will agree that there are some shows from the early days of television that are great, classic, timeless shows. “I Love Lucy” is as good as any sitcom on TV today, with none of the sex and fart jokes. “The Twilight Zone” is one of the best of all time and probably always will be.

That said, there are way more shows from the 40’s through 70’s that nobody ever wants to see again than there are shows that we want to watch over and over. The primetime dramas don’t hold up very well. The scifi shows are usually just good for campy fun rather than truly good storytelling.

TV has grown a lot and while there are a lot (*LOT*) of clunkers on the air today, the good shows of the past decade have been above anything we’ve had in the past. The “Battlestar Galactica” reboot was far better than the original. “Lost” was unlike anything I’d ever seen on TV before, structured more like a novel than a TV series. “Supernatural”, “Dexter”, “Mad Men”… The list goes on. If you think that there aren’t great writers making great shows today, you need to explore a little bit more. And comic book shows aren’t bad by default. “Agents of SHIELD” might be Saturday morning material, but “Arrow” has some pretty solid characters and a much richer story.

I truly respect television history and everything that led to where we are today, but the overall mindset of television in recent years is so much better than where it was before.

• THE TV CRITIC says:

Don’t forget the 80s and parts of the 90s.

Shows that were successful back then would not be successful due to this screwed up ratings system.

Funny, shows that were meant for the 18-34 crowd that got canned back then would have been successful now. Examples include Square Pegs, Parker Lewis Can’t Lose and Silver Spoons.

37. Aimee says:

I really want to like SHIELD but Skye and Ward have got to GO! They are terrible and I find myself rooting for the bad guys whenever Ward gets in a fight. Get rid of them and focus on May and the scientists.

38. Dee says:

OMG! So, so happy for Supernatural!!!!!!

Love it!!!!!

I actually did like The Originals quite a bit. Maybe its the acting or the fact that they are all adults, or maybe their accents.

The actors seem *better* than TVD people, LOL.

39. fan says:

I really enjoyed NCIS last night it was a really fun stand-alone ep. If dropping those 2 million viewers from a week ago means the writers feel free to give us stories they want to tell that are fun, interesting and well written, and not what certain fans tell them most people want, I say good riddance to those who obviously were never fans of the show.

AS for the demo stupidity, I turn 50 on May 13, probably the season finale date. That means I will be “important” for 23 of the 24 episodes this season. That’s kinda dumb.

• ninamags says:

I enjoyed the episode as well. The first one I watch this season. It seemed like I was watching an episode from the early days.

They were joking around, their idiosyncrasies came through. it was a light-hearted episode (even though the subject matter was quite serious).

I’ll get hate for this but I will say that it seemed like the actors had some weight lifted from their shoulders. They seemed giddy almost, like they were floating on air, being their usually adorkable selves.

No doom and gloom and heaviness to everything.

40. arial2 says:

Gee, the only problem with your headline is that NCIS garnered about 10 million more viewers than Shield, and both dropped in the 18-49 demo. Personally, though I like both shows, I will watch NCIS live and catch Shield On Demand or on DVR, because I’m sick of the major networks trying to knock off another major network’s top-rated show. ABC could have placed Shield in any other timeslot and it would have eaten the competition. I’m tired of the major networks (all of you) screwing the viewers for the sake of network egos. Guess what networks? With DVR and On Demand, it’s no longer an “either/or” choice. You can no longer hold viewers prisoner. Personally, I will watch the show that was in the time slot first, then watch the competition the next day (and, in many cases, just hours after the original showing).

41. Brian says:

I think something networks and defenders of the 18-49 principle is that you need viewers too. Lots of viewers. Those viewers, no matter what the age, watch your promos of your fall shows, they tell other people, CBS has always been smart enough to take the shows that are getting a lot of viewers, which has reaped them rewards beyond NBC’s mentality. You need viewers and you need 18-49, but you can’t really sustain without going for both. You need them both.

42. Zalina says:

“NCIS” Tops Night in Viewers and Adults 25-54

CBS won its third consecutive Tuesday in viewers and placed first in adults 25-54 (tie) as NCIS, NCIS: LOS ANGELES and Person Of Interest all won their time periods, according to Nielsen preliminary live plus same day ratings for Oct. 8.

NCIS was first in viewers (17.87m) and adults 25-54 (4.0/11) and averaged 2.7/08 in adults 18-49. NCIS was Tuesday’s #1 program among viewers and adults 25-54.

NCIS – best show ever…

• Dark Defender says:

Yuhp.. CBS can be proud that so many people watch the network, particularly on Tuesdays, but it doesn’t pay the bills. Shows like S.H.I.E.L.D. and Sleepy Hollow and Big Bang Theory and Two and a Half Men are those shows.
      It may be pandering to the lowest common denominator, but it doesn’t make it less true.
      S.H.I.E.L.D. still needs some work to get the kinks out and NCIS lost their most popular character an dealt with is poorly in two lackluster episodes. Now the dust is settling for the first leg of the season.. and S.H.I.E.L.D. is coming out on top. I can see this gap getting bigger as NCIS loses the demo and S.H.I.E.L.D. gains…

43. Lourdes says:

Never be the same again……………… without Ziva David! :(

44. Kristie says:

I know the feel of NCIS was different and I ended up shutting it off after 35 minutes. I’ m not even a huge fan of Ziva but I think if they don’t replace her soon they will drop again. I think the huge ratings for the first two weeks was because of the false advertised Ziva filled finale. I fully expect Mark gone after two years and he will tell us this summer. Not. Sure how people said the show was better unless you hated Ziva. NCIS might just end up with Perrette and Tony only fans.

45. Cindy Woods says:

OK I am an infrequent viewer of NCIS. I usually watch when there is an interesting preview. I see the Israeli’s or some but kicking scenes and I watch. I never have been a huge favorite of 50 year olds acting like 15 year olds so when I see that preview I’m out. CBS needs to hire Jennifer Aniston, Courtney Cox and Matthew Perry in order to save this show from mediocrity. Also I always loved Mark Harmon (St. Elsewhere) but where does a guy that just signed a $800,000 a show get off criticizing people that leave at 10 times less what he’s making. Show a little respect Mark you are offending fans. Just an infrequent viewer opinion. Just saw Mark a couple of times on interview shows and he seemed mad. Get over it.

46. barbara says:

ncis survived without kate and sure it will survive without ziva. i have to say no tv star is worth 800,000 just ridiculous. first few episodes were ok but even ncisla,personinterest,mentalist all getting dull

47. mary mcGuire says:

I was going to stop watching NCIS after its 1st episode BUT I am glad I watched the 2nd episode because everyone was involved and they are finally getting back to the banter and more interesting plots..Its an ensemble that works,,no one needs to be overly featured. mary

48. fan says:

SUPERNATURAL IS BY FAR, THE BEST PROGRAM ON T.V. RIGHT NOW. WHAT CAN I SAY. S.H.I.E.L.D. IS VERY DISAPPOINTING. THE IDEA THAT THIS TEAM IS A LEVEL 7. THE AVENGERS ARE A LEVEL 6 ? MAY AND COULSON ARE THE ONLY SAVIORS OF THIS PROGRAM. I THINK BETTER WRITING COULD BE EMPLOYED TO FIX THIS, IF THEY DON’T WAIT TO LONG. SUPERNATURAL HAD 4 GREAT YEARS WITH KRIPKE, THEN 2 NOT SO GREAT YEARS WITH GAMBLE. THAT IS HOW IT HAS SURVIVED. THE WRITERS OF SUPERNATURAL RECOGNIZED A CHANGE WAS NECESSARY. THANK YOU FOR THAT. SUPERNATURAL WAS GREAT AGAIN LAST YEAR AND LOOKS TO BE GREAT THIS YEAR AS WELL. PLEASE DON’T FORGET THE MUSICAL SCORES THOUGH. THE RIGHT SONG CAN REALLY PUNCTUATE A SCENE,

49. Ann says:

NCIS has become just another show about boring cis white people. No diversity whatsoever. That’s the type of show from back in the day. I’m glad shows like Elementary and Sleepy Hollow have become popular. Give me well written, complex WOC characters (exactly what Ziva was) over middle aged stereotypical men any day.