Glee's Lea Michele Breaks Her Silence: 'I've Lost Two People — Cory and Finn'

Get More: Glee, In Memoriam

Lea Michele Cory MonteithThe show had to go on.

On the eve of Glee‘s tribute episode to Finn Hudson (Thursday at 9/8c on Fox), Lea Michele reveals in her first interview following the death of boyfriend and co-star Cory Monteith why returning to work after the tragedy was the only feasible option.

VIDEO | Get a First Look at Glee‘s Emotional Finn Tribute Episode

Although the actress acknowledges to TV Week Australia, “For me personally, I’ve lost two people: Cory and Finn,” she adds, “We had a beautiful memorial for Cory in the auditorium and some of the cast members sang and people spoke about him. It only felt right that we would do the same thing for Finn, so I felt it was very therapeutic.

“Everyone is asking: ‘Is it hard to do this? Is it hard to be back at work?’, but the truth is it’s no harder at work than it is in life,” she continues, “so we might as well all be together as a family supporting each other to get through this together.”

RELATED | Glee’s Finn Tribute: Set List Revealed

Michele says she never took her time with Monteith for granted. “I woke up every single day feeling like I was in some sort of spell or something, that I was lucky enough to have him in my life,” she shares. “There was no greater man than Cory, so for the time we spent together, I consider myself very lucky.”

Comments (60)

• love Lea :) she’s amazing.

Comment by Elyse – October 9, 2013 05:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • boy is she milking this.

Comment by Dave S. – October 9, 2013 07:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I take it you’ve never lost anyone or you wouldn’t make such a heartless comment. Idiot!!
        I love Lea and love her strength. This couldn’t have been easy.

Comment by Sara – October 9, 2013 08:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Don’t worry Dave S. there are many of us who feel the same. The whole show is milking this. Don’t let these childish people run you out for having your own opinion.

Comment by Eurisko – October 9, 2013 10:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • The only people ‘milking’ this are trolls like you to try and rile everyone up. Obviously you have nothing better than make brash comments on someone’s pain. A lot of people have been affected by Cory’s death and it is disrespectful and nasty to suggest that people are taking advantage of his loss. Cory/Finn was a vital part of what made Glee so great and a lot of people will miss him and are looking forward to the episode.

Comment by Sara – October 9, 2013 12:07 PM PDT
          • @Sara. Grow up. get a grip. People are allowed to think for themselves. You might want to Google the word troll. BTW, Cory was a real person. Finn is a character. Big difference.

Comment by Eurisko – October 9, 2013 01:43 PM PDT
          • Actually, @Eurisko, you might be the one to look up the word, Troll, because clearly you don’t know what it means or you’re new to the internet. Both a regular poster and a troll are both expressing an opinion, the difference is the motivation. A troll’s motivation is not conversation and exchange of ideas, the troll’s motivation is to amuse himself by watching the flame war he started by poking sharp sticks at others, especially on emotional topics such as the death of another human being. He’s basically an internet arsonist. DaveS’s tone is classic Troll. So you might want to educate yourself a little before asking others to do so.

Comment by huh – October 9, 2013 03:29 PM PDT
          • @huh, so you can read minds and you know someones intent? I don’t care if I get people who agree or not. But it’s now a common way to smear or insult an opinion by calling the person a troll. I have no doubt the show is milking his death. And she actually said she lost two people. Cory and Finn. WTH? I will bet every dollar in the world Cory’s mom and dad don’t give a damn about “Finn”. Just their son. People should be allowed to have the opposite point of view on this site.

Comment by Eurisko – October 9, 2013 06:40 PM PDT
          • He isn’t expressing an opinion. He is making a statement. She “is” milking this. That kind of statement is either true or false. People are entitled to different opinions but if they are going to make statements about a persons intentions (which you yourself state another person can’t really know) then there will be backlash.

Comment by murley – October 10, 2013 08:03 AM PDT
      • if you don’t like then don’t read this. this is not a gossip blog. i cant believe people are so heartless when ALL the cast are still in grieving process. do you think she’s really have soul to not be grieving and feel loss about this? are you really that shallow to believe that pr BS and lose your brain and heart? i am never gonna judge ANYONE if something tragic like this happened if i hate them. you should be ashamed of yourself

Comment by ano – October 9, 2013 08:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Geesh, she just lost him,what’s YOUR timeline for grief?

Comment by justjesse74 – October 9, 2013 08:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Boy are you being a troll. Not even a good one, either.

Comment by meem – October 9, 2013 08:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • If you don’t have something nice to say ….

Finish that thought and then live by it.

Comment by Paul – October 9, 2013 09:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Given the fact that its the first interview she’s had about the matter and the fact that she’s only made one public appearance I don’t really see your point.

Comment by Damien Roberts (@dam744) – October 9, 2013 09:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That’s such a terrible / unnecessary thing to say – she’s been nothing but gracious and strong. I’ve been incredibly impressed with how she’s carried herself.

Comment by angelstorm – October 9, 2013 10:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It doesn’t matter how often you say, it still won’t be true. Please stop being so completely pathetic and loathsome.

Comment by Jazzy – October 9, 2013 10:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • thats not nice Dave. she lost the love of her life. she is not milking it. you are being very disrespectful.

Comment by Taryn Groves – October 9, 2013 11:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • shut up, how would you like to loose the boy/girl you absolute adore and love

Comment by fjbkjfx jdsb vjdnjc – October 9, 2013 12:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I don’t see it that way. I don’t even watch Glee anymore because the show has gotten annoying but I can respect Lea for how strong she’s been. she’s barely said a word about it… Dave I can’t imagine how sad and lonely it is to be so heartless.

Comment by Elyse – October 9, 2013 12:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Oh Dave, it’s the people who martyred her after Cory’s death, not the other way around. Yes, her career will be epic for the rest of her life and it’s impossible to deny that, but she didn’t plan it this way so to imply as much just shows you’re jealous on some level that for all the hard work she has always put into her career, what shot her into A-list-for-life territory was something tragic yet eminently bankable regardless.

Comment by Abby – October 9, 2013 01:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • How is conducting her FIRST interview since his death “milking it”? She has made a statement (one) and conducted an interview (one). What a ridiculous comment. And beyond that it is incredibly tacky to judge another person’s grief. I hope your complete lack of appropriate sensitivity comes from your never having lost a loved one and I genuinely hope you never have to endure that pain.

Comment by murley – October 9, 2013 02:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Thank You murley! Totally Agree. Its her FIRST interview.

Comment by EL – October 9, 2013 04:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • While I can see why you think this, I don’t think it’s correctly placed. Lea has done anything BUT speak out on Cory’s death. She avoided talking to the press for some time, and I’d say I’m actually surprised it took her as long as she did. There was a lot of pressure on her and what her first statement would be after Cory’s death. It’s sad, but true. I think she handled it very professionally, while also being considerate of the feelings she had for Cory. As for the show… I see why they want to do a tribute episode, but I’m not sure I would want to capitalize off of Cory’s death. Not saying they are, but ultimately, that’s what is happening, and there had to have been one person in the room that thought, “Man, this is going to bring great ratings” when this idea was mentioned.

Comment by Kristen – October 9, 2013 03:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • pig

Comment by Alicia – October 9, 2013 08:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Dave=a s s h o l e.

Comment by ick – October 10, 2013 06:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Your an ass

Comment by Kelly – October 24, 2013 04:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am by no means of fan of Lea, but this is a respectable first interview. I commend her for that.

Comment by Amanda – October 9, 2013 06:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Whatever. People doesn’t really know Hollywood,
      Blah personal drama = Ratings Glee so desperately needs!

Comment by Matt – October 9, 2013 02:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • yeah like you know hollywood soo well especially the glee casts in this case.
        your blah comment=so desperate to get an attention
        just stay away from comment section if you don’t have anything relevant to talk about

Comment by origo – October 9, 2013 03:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You doesn’t know how to write.

Comment by get over it – October 10, 2013 06:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Rachel lost Finn a long time ago. Monteiith wad barely on last season,

Comment by Lisa – October 9, 2013 06:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He was in rehab.

Comment by Lauren – October 9, 2013 07:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Cory did two movies on location also.

Comment by Sela – October 9, 2013 09:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Finn was in 17 of 22 episodes.

Comment by fact – October 10, 2013 06:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What she said was beautiful and personal, but at the same time not too personal, it was respectful I liked the interview.

Comment by nice words – October 9, 2013 06:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I get the feeling it doesn’t seem too personal because they weren’t as in love as they appeared to be in public. I know she has denied it, but I’m still not convinced that they were still a couple at the time of his death.

Comment by DW – October 9, 2013 07:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • They weren’t all over each other in public, or trading vials of their blood and wearing them around their necks, or getting their names tattooed on each other – they mustn’t have been in love!

Comment by annieml – October 9, 2013 07:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Exactly! It’s not true love if there’s no excessive PDA

Comment by Sara – October 9, 2013 10:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Honestly there is no way anyone can know for sure. Regardless of if they were PR relationship or not.. she did lose someone that she cared about and people are being so disrespectful. It doesn’t matter anymore he’s gone. let them mourn.

Comment by Peach – October 9, 2013 11:51 AM PDT
          • ugh stupid computer. Sorry this wasn’t meant to come off as grumpy at you, Sarah, :( wrong reply.

Comment by Peach – October 9, 2013 11:52 AM PDT
          • sure there is a way to know for sure. They said so end of story.

Comment by @Peach – October 10, 2013 06:40 AM PDT
      • And on what wishful thinking do you base this conviction? How on earth would you know one way or the other?

Why are people so stupid?

Comment by meem – October 9, 2013 08:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • god the stupidity in these comments.

Comment by @DW – October 10, 2013 06:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The way she’s handled herself in the wake of Cory’s passing is amazing. I have so much respect for her.

Comment by kd83954 – October 9, 2013 06:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was very lucky to see an advance screening of Thursday’s episode. and I have to say this: I had to walk out in middle that’s how emotional it is.

Comment by Ezzy Klein – October 9, 2013 07:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lea is incredible, and I hope that she’s on he road to finding peace. What an amazing woman.

Comment by O'Brien – October 9, 2013 07:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d forgotten that all of this coverage was in no way perpetuated by her and it’s all the media shoving it down our throats every other day.

I agree that this was a very mature and respectful interview.

Comment by Zayne – October 9, 2013 07:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Media shoving what down our throats? In the rest of the non-Glee world, his death was reported and forgotten until the brief hubub about the Emmys tribute. Then it went back to footnote in this year’s history. Your Tumblr and Twitter and whatnot feeds may be blowing up about it, but that in no way means “media” was “shoving it down our throats.”

Comment by meem – October 9, 2013 08:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • There was a new article about in on TV sites what seemed like once a week. News about the tribute, more details about his death, the Emmy thing.

Also, are you media? Otherwise, I can’t figure out why you seemed so hateful in response to my relatively innocuous comment compared to stuff up above.

Comment by Zayne – October 9, 2013 02:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve got my tissues ready for tonight!!

Comment by Jesslyn – October 9, 2013 07:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t imagine finding the person I love that much and then losing him before having a chance to start our lives together. Praying for her.

Comment by Babybop – October 9, 2013 09:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sobs

Comment by karenb – October 9, 2013 09:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My respect and admiration for this woman only grows.

Comment by Jazzy – October 9, 2013 10:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Grieving while everybody is watching – just has to be awful. I really respect her grace, strength and restraint in this tough situation.

Comment by Teeny Bikini – October 9, 2013 11:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t imagine having to grieve and at the same time deal with the press and the nitpicks of all the weirdos on the internet.

Comment by Geri M – October 9, 2013 02:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think she has handled things in a very appropriate way. And I admire her for that, and will probably always admire her for that. I lost my husband, the love of my life, 10 years ago. It does help to talk about him to other people who knew him. This is such a surreal experience for her, a real life and fictional life merging into one. Seems like a double dose of grief. Good luck to Lea in the future. I’ll be part of her fanbase.

Comment by mandy – October 9, 2013 03:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • From what I saw they were perfect together. I honestly believe they were both super grounded and didnt let fame go to their heads. I for one will be a complete mess when I watch the tribute episode. I almost went into an ugly cry just watching the 30 second sneak peak.

Comment by Jacqi – October 9, 2013 03:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My eyes stung reading this. I am going to be a wreck during the episode. 3 months down the line, I still can’t believe this even happened :(

Comment by Ella – October 10, 2013 12:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He was a young man who died tragically and I barely heard anything about it until Rya Seacrest was advertising this episode. I think I remember my husband telling me about it VAGUELY this summer. I love the show, and what I think people who have never been in theatre or acting fail to understand is that you -can- get attached to the persona that your co-lead plays. That’s why relationships often bud between co-stars. And also why they fizzle out once real-life resumes. She DID lose two people. The comment related to his parents was unecessary. Of course they didn’t care about his character. That wasn’t how they met him, or how they fell in love with him. I hate it when people mock someone expressing pain. It pains ME that he died. Someone who had a great role that I enjoyed watching over the past four years is gone thanks to the horrible drug that is heroine. He had so much more ahead of him in life. That is sad, terribly sad.

Comment by Ashley – October 10, 2013 01:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post