Miley Cyrus Hosts Saturday Night Live: Watch Video of the Best and Worst Skits

Miley Cyrus SNLMiley Cyrus pulled double duty as host and musical guest of this week’s Saturday Night Live. The generally miserable results, though, left the impression that the pop princess shouldn’t quit her day job anytime soon. (To be fair, her performance of “Wrecking Ball” was pretty solid.)

Below, my picks for the week’s Best and Worst moments — most of which put the “sketch” in sketchy:

RELATED | Ellen Pompeo Breaks Silence on Isaiah Washington, Katherine Heigl and Her Grey’s Anatomy Future: ‘I Have an Amazing Life’

Best: Connecticut Mom Talks Grand Theft Auto
Kate McKinnon was brutally funny as Pat Lynhart, a housewife shirking real life in her crazed enthusiasm for the violent video game. Sample zinger: “I shot a stipper in the boob for sport!” (Side note: McKinnon’s Jane Lynch and Tilda Swinton impressions also ruled in an uneven short about Fifty Shades of Grey screen tests.)

Best: “We Did Stop (the Government)”
The lyrics could’ve hit a little harder in this video of John Boehner (Taran Killam) and Michele Bachmann (Cyrus) celebrating the government shutdown in a debauched spoof of Cyrus’ Twerk-tastic video. But the overly tanned Killam writhing and cavorting in tight white tanks and leggings upgraded the material into occasionally LOLzy territory. (The brief shot of Jay Pharoah’s deeply concerned President Obama peering through the blinds was great, too.)

Worst: Piers Morgan Live
Taran Killam and Nasim Pedrad are usually pretty funny in their respective roles as the British CNN talk-show host and Arianna Huffington, but this overly long look at recently aborted Hillary Clinton biopics — and a variety of spoofy spinoffs cropping up in its wake — didn’t have the punch lines to back up its setups (and wasted the week’s sole attempt at finding humor in the Breaking Bad finale).

Worst: Opening Monologue
I counted a single laugh — courtesy of Bobby Moynihan reenacting the “Wrecking Ball” video — in an intro that was remarkable only for its brevity. You put more effort into turning on your computer than the show’s writing staff put into this assemblage of half-jokes about half-shirts and the murder of Hannah Montana.

Worst: Kyle Mooney and Miley Cyrus Rehearsal Sex
A not-very-amusing setup came screeching to a halt after SNL newbie Mooney complained to his buddies that he couldn’t consummate the relationship because the “We Can’t Stop” singer is “like 100 years old.” A complete and total head-scratcher.

What did you think of this week’s SNL? How would you rate Cyrus as host? What were your picks for best and worst sketch? Sound off below!

1. Patrick says:

I disagree. I thought this was a good ep. Not all time or anything, but recent years have featured episodes that were much worse than this one.

• dude says:

No they haven’t. Even bad episodes generally have one decent sketch. This had sketches that not only lacked a punch line but also a joke. The alien abduction one? The only good part of this episode was Weekend Update and even that was uneven.

• ajintexas says:

What in the world is wrong with this idiot that she can’t keep her tongue in her head. That’s the kinda crap you see losers high on ecstasy doing. Oh wait…

• Rook says:

I thought it was a good episode too, the only sketch that I thought was bland was the sex tape. Even though not all of the sketchs were good like the cheerleading one, it had a good moment with Taran Killiam being a boy cheerleader.

• bar says:

Me too! I thought these last two episodes have been so completely on point. The best I’ve seen in years.

2. dude says:

The writing was awful but she was worse. I know Hannah Montana wasn’t, you know, funny but she got her start in comedy, how could she possibly think over-enunciating everything with a silly face is comedy? That’s literally all she did in every sketch. She is a terrible actress and an even worse comedian (unless its unintentional comedy like the time she said The Hannah Montana Movie should be nominated for an Oscar because it’s “like really deep”).

3. Helvetica says:

This was a painful, dreadful episode. The rehearsal sex skit was very puzzling as I didn’t understand what they were aiming to achieve; during the Mornin’ Miami skit I kept waiting for the punchline which never came. It was a bit funny the first Monday promo but when it made its way to Friday, I was ready for it to be over.
    I thought the Hillary Clinton biopics were great in comparison to everything else and Fifty Shades of Grey was a cut above the rest as well.

• dude says:

That entire sketch I was thinking “the punchline is obviously their names, they better be good” and when it finally got to that point, the big reveal was what? “Yolanda Natalie Portman” and “Bitch Fantastic” who wrote that? Seriously.

• 3dhouseofmagic says:

The 50 Shades auditions was by far the best skit IMO. I thought this ep was better than last week, but I napped through the last half hour, admittedly. What irks me about SNL is that almost all of the skits just go on too long, past the funny part. Knowing they write dozens of skits, you’d think they could recognize when to end each one and just do a couple additional.

4. TV Gord says:

I think you’re being too hard on the show, which was one of the funniest ones I’ve seen in a long, long time. This show has been a mess for a few years, but last night’s show actually made me laugh…more than a few times.

Weekend Update was consistently funny (I understand I may be vilified for this, but Jacob cracks me up!) with a number of very funny news stories. I thought the opening was better than you did, as was the cold open. I wasn’t scratching my head through the Kyle’s room bit; I was laughing! And I thought the Hillary segment was very well executed, especially the Breaking Bad part, with Hillary behind the pillar. Clever! I chuckled at Taran’s Piers, but I always enjoy it when anyone mocks the easily mockable Mr. Morgan.

I’m glad (relieved) that Miley didn’t go after Sinead, who would have been an easy target, especially since Studio 8-H is where Sinead tore up a certain picture (I was there for that one!).

Oh, and the takeoff of We Don’t Stop with John Boehner and Michelle Bach(that ass up)mann: Priceless!

One comment for my fellow Canadians: Global has once again got a trigger-happy switcher in their employ…cutting away to commercial after the monologue, because that 50 Shades of Grey audition bit looked too much like a real commercial (to someone, I guess). When will they stop screwing that up!? I caught it again on the West Coast feed (when we can watch the actual NBC broadcast), and it was okay. Nothing too horrible to miss. Hopefully, Global won’t screw it up in the reruns…

• Amy says:

I love Jacob!! And I always cringe when things gets picked up by Global. I thought this was a decent episode. I laughed out loud a several times. I loved the Breaking Bad/Hillary bit. And this weeks Update was a better co-hosted segment IMO.

• JLK says:

I like Jacob too. :)

• Kim R says:

I love Jacob too. I always laugh! Simultaneous substitution is a thorn in my side!!!! Trigger happy is right. Don’t get me started. :)
      I didn’t think it was a bad episode either. And you know, that girl can really sing. I hope she gets over her….”rebellion” and not shoot herself in the foot too bad.

5. Ashley LOVES SAMCRO! says:

HAHAHAHA……….She was horrible and she sucks!

6. I thought Miley was fantastic. The press about her VMA performance may have come across as negative but from a marketing standpoint Miley Cyrus has a recognizability factor in HER favor! Who cares if Hannah Montana is dead? So is civil discourse in our society.

he music video parody of Boehner & Bachmann is the best we’ve seen to date. Woven into that comedy was truth & symbolism. Miley gets an A+ for her work on last night’s SNL.

7. Tammy says:

I thought this was better overall than last week’s episode. I still think the “Girls” parody was the funniest thing out of the two episodes this season. I don’t want to like Miley but I thought she did a decent job, looked like she had rehearsed the skits and didn’t have to heavily rely on the cards. I think the sketch I liked best was the auditions for 50 Shades of Grey.

What I want to know is how much the cast enjoyed working with Miley.

8. Tran 2.0 says:

The Miley Cyrus ep was WAY better than last week’s season opener with Tina Fey. Bummed that The Miley Cyrus Show sketch didn’t make the cut at least when Vanessa Bayer’s Miley had to meet with the real Miley Cyrus. Kudos to Kate McKinnon’s Hilary Clinton impression as well as Taran Killam’s Robin Thicke. The We Did Stop – The Government spof was the best by far, the cheerleaders & aliens sketch was OK by me, the Girlfriends Talk Show still didn’t impress me that much and the worst was the Mornin’ Miami skit. Overall, I give the Miley episode of SNL an A-. Can’t wait to see what Bruce Willis and musical guest Katy Perry have in store next week.

9. Meredith says:

Miserable is right but that blame lays on the writers. What horrible sketches. Maybe she could’ve done better if she’d had decent material. Not even the greatest comedienne on the planet could make some of those sketches work. Although it was nice seeing some of the new cast and their impressions.

• dude says:

Did you see what she did with the material she was given? She was the straight man in almost every sketch and she was still annoying and horrible. I’d hate to see how she’d ruin actually funny material.

10. Mike R. says:

Kate McKinnon saved the show for me, because I honestly hated everything else.

11. Shaun says:

I thought it was pretty good overall,I enjoyed her talking to her past self and Will Smith showing up.Weekend update was pretty great too.Funny music video too,laughed real hard at Obama in background.

12. Cori says:

The Kyle Mooney sketch was my favorite of the night! I found it so random and hilarious. I also liked Miley meeting Miley, We Can Stop, and the Good Morning Miami skit. Weekend update was quite strong, though I didn’t get Jay Pharaoh’s guy.

The girlfriends sketch was awful as was the cheerleader alien skit. The Piers Morgan skit was pretty bad, too. But overall I thought it was a decent episode. Miley actually did a good job. Even (gasp) on her musical performances.

• Yeah, I liked the Mooney sketch a bit better too, but it wasn’t exactly gold. What surprised me the most was how average (not terrible) Update was this week. It’s usually one topical Leno joke after the next.

13. Finch says:

I enjoyed this week’s Weekend Update, but everything else fell flat for me. I guess I’m just really sick of all the VMA, twerking, and Hannah Montana jokes. I understand that it must be hard getting used to working with and writing for a bunch of new cast members without having the likes of Bill Hader and Fred Armisen there to save anything, but the writers really need to step up their game. Kate McKinnon is really phenomenal though.

14. Melissa says:

I watched it with a group of friends last night, none of us Miley fans really, but we were all cracking up through most of the show, minus maybe the Piers Morgan one and the alien abduction one, which still got a few laughs each. We watched it expecting a train wreck and were pleasantly surprised. I can appreciate Miley for being able to mock herself and what she’s been up to lately.

15. Ethel says:

The more I watched it, I realized 2 things: I can’t stand her tongue, why did we have to keep seeing it over and over and over again? Opening skit with the outfit she had on was way too shameful. And then it came to me….she is Justin Bieber’s long lost twin sister

• Gotta agree with you on the tongue thing. I don’t get it. It’s like that tic that your uncle has that everyone hates but they’re all afraid to tell him to stop. Embarrassing.

• Kim R says:

I agree. She’s got to stop doing the tongue thing. It is so embarrassing and not at all attractive, sexy or whatever she thinks it is. It is like an exaggeraed “I’m trying to unscrew this jar lid” kind of thing. Just say no! :)

16. Wrstlgirl says:

Thanks for the write up. I chose not to watch. This girl disgusts me.

• Jovi says:

She makes me sad.

• Luther says:

What’s it like living in amish country?

• Ju says:

Come on, you know that’s not fair or accurate. There is a wonderful middle ground between being Amish and being disgusting. Many of us live in that inbetween. Sexy is good, trashy is not. Miley (and several other celebrities, both male AND female) need to learn the difference. Unfortunately that’s what sells so it probably won’t change anytime soon.

17. Ali says:

The episode was pretty good. I thought Cyrus did very well, just like the first time she hosted SNL. However, I think the writing staff really dropped the ball on this one.
    The cheerleader skit did have a couple of funny lines, but that was it. And the technical difficulties? Like the wires AND the crew member that were visible during the scene? Come on. High school drama clubs are more efficient than that. Whoever is in charge of switching between the different cameras during the live shot really screwed up. The ‘Morning Miami’ sketch was the most disappointing. I kept waiting for the punchline but it never came. It had potential, if only the writers would’ve made use of the time between shooting promos for the anchors to resume a big argument, with funny one-liners, or something. The poetry sketch didn’t make much sense, and while I love Vanessa Bayer, even she couldn’t save her character.
    One of my favorite scenes was the “We Did Stop
    (The Government)” spoof. Taram and Miley were fabulous as John Boehner and Michelle Bachmann. And the lyrics were perfect. Kate McKinnon’s characters were awesome throughout the show. And I actually enjoyed the open. Vanessa and Miley work well together. Miley’s two musical performances were another highlight. Her acoustic version of her song “We Can’t Stop” was much better than the original.
    Overall I enjoyed last night’s episode. In true SNL fashion, things just went downhill after Weekend Update. I’d watch if Miley hosted again.

18. Sparky says:

Personally I think she has her head screwed on. I am way out of her target demo but her music isn’t awful and she did have pretty good timing and didn’t rely on the cue cards too much. However she doesn’t exactly have the best body so can she please put some clothes on and keep her damn tongue in….it’s just weird!

• Kate'shomesick says:

What kind of body would you like more? I really don’t know what to make of her as a person and an “artist” but I would kill for her legs and pretty much everything else as well…

• JJ says:

I believe this poster is referring to the fact that Miley’s body is not very developed, and the fact that she just keeps trying to get us all to look at it.

19. HAP says:

I was surprised at how attractive and mature Miley looked wearing that dark wig playing Michele Bachmann.

20. Melanie says:

LOL, I thought the 50 Shades casting was pretty funny!

21. james says:

Man, I thought last night’s ep was actually pretty good! Loved the first half of the show especially. Glad to see more Kate, Jay, and Nasim too.

• james says:

Why don’t you guys get someone who enjoys the show to start recapping it? I love when Slezak writes and gets worked up about shows like Idol because I know he genuinely loves the show…but these are just depressing.

• dude says:

When a show is as bad as it was last night, it deserves to be torn a part. Not a single genuinely good sketch in the entire show.

• Do you want honesty or just cheerleaders? Because you’ll find more of the former than the latter for SNL lately. It’s going to be that way until they overhaul the writers’ room. So tired of people complaining about an honest, fair opinion.

22. John says:

I haven’t watched SNL in a while, but I tuned in to see Miley Cyrus. The writing is worse than I could’ve imagined. You’d think they could hire some better writers when they can book A-list celebrities. The girlfriends skit was beyond lame and didn’t even make sense. The sex tape skit was stupid as was the poem one, the Piers Morgan one, and the cheerleading one. They are all just a bunch of random things thrown together that make no sense and are NOT funny at all. I only kind of liked the mom talking about Grand Theft Auto skit and the opening. But after watching this episode, I honestly can’t believe that a show this horrible is still on the air.

23. Omg the Kyle Mooney skit was the best part of the show

24. tara17 says:

I enjoyed the episode overall and found Miley to be a capable and talented performer. Kate McKinnon went all out for that one, loved her Grand Theft Auto Mom skit.

25. Roni says:

Kate McKinnon is the greatest.

26. Luther says:

Much better than Tina’s episode. Miley sang great, and did a decent job hosting. If only they had talented writers. I swear that a high school drama club could come up with better skit ideas than these ‘professionals’ do.

27. dude says:

What’s always telling for me is how they use the guest. Generally, if they have a really talented sketch comic on their hands (like say Justin Timberlake or Melissa McCarthy) they’ll be the focal point of most of the sketches and given material that really highlights their talent. If they have a dud (like say Miley Cyrus) the guest is generally relegated to the background for most of the show. There wasn’t a single sketch where Miley was set up to be funny, that tells me all I need to know.

28. DarkDefender says:

I thought the episode was pretty good overall. I laughed all the way through.. I thought the only really bad sketch was the cheerleader/alien sketch.

29. Babybop says:

Anyone else think that Miley looked beautiful when she was dressed as Michelle Bachman? Ha ha. That hair is much prettier on her.

30. xx says:

Mooney has got to be the crappiest SNL addition in years. Last week the terrible old comic sketch, this week something whose only purpose was clearly so he’d have a 20-year-old writhing on him. Lovely.

31. Tom Charles says:

It makes me sad that they’re still trying to make girlfriends talk show happen. NO SNL THAT’S A BAD SNL!

32. Lucy in the Sky says:

the only host who was worse than Miley was Lindsay Lohan who was visibly reading her cue cards. Some actress!!

33. 420brain says:

I thought this ep was leaps and bounds better than the premier. The premier was Fing AWFUL, and being a Tina fey fan I never thought I’d say that, but it felt like they were trotting her out as a novelty, not as a legitimate comedian. Like, she was TINA FEY in those sketches, not a character. This one had some actual humor, because they didn’t assume the host would carry it. I liked 50 shades the best. The only sketch I didn’t really like was the alien abduction thing, because it had no point and made no sense.

34. Toia says:

After the episode ended I couldn’t remember having laughed. All I remember was comming to the realization that Miley looks like a Fly Girl reject, that kept me chuckling to my self but the episode not so much. At its worst (the sex tape skit and the morning show thing) it was confusing? off putting and made you wonder if they ever tried. Where it was on the rare occasions funny I didn’t laugh the music video parody was amusing but nothing I laughed at; more and acknowledgement of “that funny”. The only thing I found amusing about the 50 Shades of Gray skit was Christoph Waltz and my own musings about him being my idea what that character would be (I have not read that book don’t intend to). Over all my very low (like almost none) expectations where disappointed.

35. randy says:

Miley was lip syncing. She was flat out bad. Ugly little boy. Didnt laugh. Fell asleep.

36. Billy Ray says:

Put your tongue back in your mouth FFS!!!

37. I love how people forget what SNL is. If you expect different, you are watching the wrong show. And if you are still getting on Miley for her behavior, remember what age she is. Normally somebody her age would be partying hard in college. She is a multimillionaire celebrity/songtress and globally known and seen… but still that age.
    If you don’t want your kids behaving that way, then do your damn job as parents and TALK TO THEM! Don’t let the television shows do your job.

38. benis says:

anyone else think she looked A MILLION TIMES HOTTER when she was wearing a wig? i would hate miley so much less if it wasn’t for her awful haircut.
    and usually when people come on the show and perform in sketches where they “are in on the joke” you get a new found respect for them, but with miley it was like the whole time the expression on her face was “see look im in on the joke everybody, thats just me, thats just who i am”. if she dropped that whole “im just being me” crap, no you are just being an idiot. just becuase you sang one of rihannas reject songs doesnt make you “bout that life.:

39. St says:

Miley simply wasn’t funny. SNL cast members were sometimes funny. Miley was never funny. And whole time it reminded me Lindsay Lohans SNL appearance. You know how every time she tries to laugh off her troubles. How she is always: “I know that people talk about me all the time. I know that I have troubles with law. I can joke about it. I wont hide and pretend that no one knows about them. See people – I’m cool with it. It’s no big deal”.

And whole Mileys performance was like: “I know that everyone talks about my VMA and Wrecking Ball video and laugh at me. But joke is on you people. Because it’s no big deal. I planted it all from the beginning. I know that I am respected superstar. And you are just silly because you can’t understand how cool I am. Joke is on you”. And she tries to laugh at is with public. But public is not laughing WITH her. They laugh ON her.

But Miley was not funny even when she was playing different character. She is very bad actress. And just like Lindsay – most of the time it was too obvious that she was reading cue cards. We never see when SNL members read their lines. It’s not that obvious. But it was too visible with Miley.

40. TL says:

People!!! It was a very good show and YOU know it. Stop the hatin’. There were quite a few clever and funny skits done.

41. JenInChicago says:

Missed the last 1/2 hour of the show because NBC 5 in Chicago started their news at 10:30ish due to some overrun earlier in the evening and my DVR isn’t set to add an additional 1/2 hour for SNL (not like it’s Sunday night with CBS). Anyone know where I can catch all the sketches that occurred during the last 1/2 hour of the show? I know SNL/Broadway Video have entire eps pretty locked down and it’s nearly impossible to see the entire ep online.

42. Soopah Soopah Soopah says:

I thought the sex tape was absurd, but that was what made it so great.

43. tj says:

Kyle mooney sketch was the best! Glad I sat through the rest of the crap for that. I don’t think this reviewer understands comedy if they considered that the worst sketch. More kyle next week please.

• Robert says:

This ^ Kyle and Beck have the most potential out of all the new additions. They have a hilarious youtube channel and their first real sketch on SNL was pretty funny, at least compared to the usual.

44. Roberto says:

The kyle mooney miley cyrus skit was one of the best…. Someone who needed to scratch their head in confusion during that skit should NOT be reviewing comedy. It’s about time SNL moved away from their weak punchlines and over-exaggerated voice characters to elicit ACTUAL laughs from their audience.