Reality Check: Debating The Voice's Week 2 Stars, Kaley Cuoco's Shaky Sister and 'Scary' Cee Lo!

Get More: Reality TV, The Voice, Video

With 17 different singers advancing to The Voice‘s Season 5 Battle Rounds this week, it’s not a huge surprise that my Reality Check cohost Melinda Doolittle and I don’t fully agree on our latest Top 3 lists. But things get a little heated over a prepster male contestant, leading Melinda to raise her gun of harsh truths and fire in a way we’ve never quite seen before.

If that’s not enough to lure you in, we also delve into one of the week’s main reality TV controversies: Whether or not there was anything fishy about the sister of Big Bang Theory star Kaley Cuoco getting two chairs to turn despite a less-than-perfect rendition of Haley Reinhart’s Lady Gaga’s “You and I.”

Plus, Melinda offers her theories on why Cee Lo so often loses out to his fellow coaches in snagging talented artists, I attempt to make a sports reference (spoiler alert: it doesn’t go well), and a shoe gets thrown at the TV (figuratively speaking).

So press play for the full Reality Check experience, then hit the comments with your thoughts. Who were your favorites from Week 2 of The Voice? Are you #TeamSlezak or #TeamIncorrect on our disagreements? And what’s your take on Briana Cuoco, Cee Lo and the proliferation of Season 5 backstories? Sound off below!

Comments (64)

• I’m so sad you guys aren’t doing X Factor this season!

Comment by Jill – October 4, 2013 12:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s unbelievable. You have nothing to say about the show you watch, but took your time to post about how happy you are…
      …that there is no video for a show that you probably don’t even watch?

So, if you’re reading this, Michael, that’s why you should totally dedicate some minutes of these videos to “The X Factor” too – yes, its ratings are lower, but everybody loves to diss it on the internet. It’s so more entertainning that even people who watch “The Voice”, like our fellow TVLine reader Jill, can’t stop talking about it.

@Jill
      Why can’t Michael and Melinda make us happy too? Why do you have to be such an egoist person? It’s ok if you enjoy “The Voice” and hate “The X Factor” – I don’t. I think “The Voice” is corny and that all the auditions are not blind at all – and that the show is about promoting the coaches’ careers, but I am not against Reality Check editions about “The Voice”. So, could you please be indiferent about TVLine covering a show that you dislike – and, probably, don’t even watch? And be respectful of those who watches the other show? Stop campaigning against it, for God’s sake. You don’t have to watch the videos. You don’t need to post nothing about it. Nobody will force you to do that.

If there’s space for these two shows on TV, there’s certainly a place for each of them on the “infiniternet”.

Comment by Lili – October 4, 2013 04:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Now that’s hilariously aaaaaaaaaawkwaaaaaaaard.
        You wrote sad instead of glad. I read glad. Oops!
        Sorry, Jill.

Comment by Lili – October 4, 2013 04:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • @Lili…Misreading and replying in the moment…we’ve all done it, hon, g. Your original post threw me but, once I read your mea culpa, I was definitely laughing *with* you. It was classy to apologise!

Comment by Nero Trask – October 5, 2013 10:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • LOL! I was about to get all offended and then realized… it’s all good. :D

Comment by Jill – October 5, 2013 11:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Xfactor die hards please exit to the right…
            thank you.

Comment by Justin – October 5, 2013 11:37 AM PDT
          • If it means Reality Check will have to give half of its time to X-Factor then i say forget it. Don’t do X-Factor. No one watches it anyway and we don’t need to be updated on a soon-to-be canceled show.

Comment by Tyler – October 5, 2013 12:39 PM PDT
  • I was disappointed that Malford Milligan didn’t make it.Check out his old band Storyville with Stevie Ray Vaughan’s band Double Trouble.

Comment by Keith – October 4, 2013 12:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I liked him too. And if the judges are aware of backstories, why wouldn’t they put through an albino black man? That’s seems a lot more interesting than a sitcom star’s sister, plus he sang way better.

Comment by Beth – October 5, 2013 12:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree with Michael on Stephanie; disagree on Will.

Comment by Chablis – October 4, 2013 01:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great episode! I actually agee with Melinda’s picks and Michael’s not so much. As far as Ceelo, I think the people who go for him tend to be more “quirky” in a good way and he does right by them.

Comment by lori – October 4, 2013 01:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And for all the talk about scaring people, well people seem to have been able to work with him just fine and he appears to have long term stuck by and supported his top contestants probably more than any of them and gotten one to modest but still more than anyone else has had, success (well apparently the opera guy has had some success in doing that sort of adult contemporary standards opera pop sort of stuff). Yeah he just pop out some comments there and well yeah. But you just gotta look past it.

Comment by HTGR – October 5, 2013 01:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The X factor was good this week, why aren’t they talking about it?

Comment by Eric – October 4, 2013 01:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have to agree with the whole backstory thing. There are some singers who make it and you only hear one line of what they were singing. And I wish you guys would do X Factor. I need more Reality Check!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Britt – October 4, 2013 01:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • you two gals are katty this week hunty!

Comment by Karl – October 4, 2013 01:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The X Factor would be good. :P

Comment by Austin – October 4, 2013 02:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I didn’t watch the episode but I youtube Kaley Cuoco sister performance. I agree with you that it was kind of fishy she got in. She has a nice voice when she wasn’t off key but that performance wasn’t good enough for someone to turn around. But who knows maybe she was nervous and can get better.

Comment by Kelly – October 4, 2013 02:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They knew it was Big Bang’s sister, that’s why they turned around, it’s a gimmick, there’s no doubt about that in my mind. Maybe she’ll get better but there’s no way that her You and I performance warranted any chair turning, no way!

Comment by Justin – October 5, 2013 11:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, Mr. Slezak, good question: how blind is blind? Am I the only one who saw the booklet in Adam Levine’s hands when that guy hit on him, I forgot his name… well, nobody cares, he’s battle round fodder really, comic relief. They’re obviously not blind, they have a booklet with a big logo on top that gives them a brief summary of the candidates. Duh!

Comment by Claudia Costa Chaves – October 4, 2013 02:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Completely agree with Miss Melinda in regards to Will Champlin – gorgeous tone!

Comment by Karen – October 4, 2013 03:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He dress like Blaine Warbler. Yes… yes. Love Will, not only because of his outfit but also for his voice :)
    GO TEAM ADAM!

Comment by Ann – October 4, 2013 03:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t think Kaley Couco is that influential in the music biz. Haven’t watched the Voice this season but having celebrity connections won’t help. Judith Hill had MJ connections and was a legitimately good performer but didn’t even make the top 6.

Comment by Shaun Ed – October 4, 2013 04:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The salient question is whether any borderline (or mediocre at best) singer with connections can make it through the first round or two based on their connections. There isn’t one person who is suggesting that a person can win a competition simply because of their connections. Kaley Cuoco has one of the top ten Q scores of any female on television. Google “Q scores” if you aren’t familiar with the concept. Also, there’s the matter of endorsements, investments and net worth. Blake Shelton now has a net worth of over 200 million dollars. Who is the only other person to appear on The Voice this season with a net worth of more than 200 million dollars? Hint. Her initials are K.C.

Comment by MC – October 4, 2013 07:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Neither Shelton nor Cuoco have that much. It’s insane. Britney Spears doesn’t have a 200 million net worth. Cuoco isn’t making millions an episode…

Comment by Pedro C. S. Guida – October 5, 2013 04:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Net worth involves much more than one salary from one show. It includes real estate holdings, income from investments, commercial endorsements, etc. You can believe what you want to believe, though.

Comment by MC – October 5, 2013 09:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I think you are correct. I don’t think they’ve gotten Friend’s type money even though the ratings seem to be as good for this day and age and I don’t think she has done any movies or much commercial work. That said she is still worth a decent sum, maybe 1/10th the figure listed above or something along those lines, roughly, still not so bad though hah.

Comment by HTGR – October 5, 2013 11:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I bet she could be to 50million in another couple years if the show continues with the ratings. Anyway not sure what this has to do with anything.

Comment by HTGR – October 5, 2013 11:16 AM PDT
          • Sorry. Pulling a lot of graveyard shifts lately. Sometimes this results in stupid posts. I meant to post that Kaley’s net worth is probably around 25 million (I think Blake Shelton is in that ballpark also). She makes 350,000 dollars per episode now and the leads of TBBT are now in negotiations to make 500,000 dollars per episode. Kaley did a big commercial for Toyota on the most recent SuperBowl and she has already made several commercials for Priceline (as part of a continuing campaign). There are also so many miscellaneous appearance fees and fees for photo shoots, etc. Some sites have Kaley at only ten million, but I have to believe her total worth(including properties and investments) is more than that. Also, some of these sites have old estimates. I hope her sister does well, but I’m really rooting for Holly Henry and Kat Robichaud.

Comment by MC – October 6, 2013 03:50 PM PDT
  • So, I’m guessing that Melinda doesn’t want to talk about X-Factor this year. That’s probably for the best, although I’ll miss the snark. I’m glad you’re still doing The Voice and I hope Melinda is on board for Idol later on.

Comment by Montavilla – October 4, 2013 05:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Maybe they can pick up xfactor once it goes live.

Comment by HTGR – October 5, 2013 01:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank you Melinda for defending Will! I love that tone too, and I’m excited to hear more from him!
    Briana was just not great- that high note she hit [screamed] when she up that octave on the last chorus maybe could have been a “button pushing note”, but the conspiracy theorist in me says that the last name was a more likely reason. I’d love to be proved wrong in the battles/knockouts because she seemed like a nice, cool girl, and Kaley was pretty cute jumping around crazily when that first chair turned…

Comment by megs – October 4, 2013 05:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Still waiting for X-Factor reality check recap.

Comment by Trev – October 4, 2013 06:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I reckon you, Jill etc be waiting a good long while. Or did you need an actual anvil on your head?

Comment by Danyelle – October 4, 2013 06:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have only watched the first 3 shows. 4th is on the Tivo waiting for me. Someone tell me why they all have the same clothes on for the first 3, possibly 4 shows?

Comment by Felicia – October 4, 2013 06:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I believe it’s taped on the same day (at least the auditions themselves are).

Comment by Britt – October 4, 2013 08:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Actually the auditions are taped over three days and they make the coaches where the same cloths so they can edit them in whatever order they want. I just want to know if someone had to reapply’s Cee-Lo’s head tattoo every day or was it permanent to last three straight days.

Comment by scootermcgavin – October 5, 2013 07:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Forget about Cee-Lo’s head. I want to know why the film editors would have all four blind-auditon episodes end with the singers selecting Adam as their coach? It’s very tiresome. Couldn’t they mix it up with the other coaches? I guess they want to stress that non-country singers don’t want to pick Blake after what happened last season. That is the only explanation for Adam getting most of the best singers (Donna, James W., Tessanne, Preston, Ashley, Will).

Comment by Tyler – October 5, 2013 01:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I did not think about it until you said it, but it is odd they would edit it in a way that Adam would get all the contestants in the “pimp” slot (especially in the first week when I thought that the singers who ended the first hour, Matthew and Holly, were better than those that closed the show). Apparently the editors really want Adam to win this season.

But Adam always gets most of what a lot of commentators consider to be the best singers. But the reason why Blake always wins is because he does not amass a team with “best” voices but with voices that America wants to vote for.

Comment by scootermcgavin – October 6, 2013 03:41 PM PDT
          • I think the country vote is so big that is helps even if his contestant is not country (and only one of his three winners never did any country at all). Country voters really watch and vote on these shows. AI has never had a single winner from CA or the Northeast despite huge populations. Look at how the run of the mill Tate won XFactor last season. Nobody was even talking about the first winner on a Blake team.
            I think they haven’t been showing Adam winning at the end of each segment so much as trying to save the best for last for each segment and Adam just happening to win them all.

Comment by HTGR – October 6, 2013 04:59 PM PDT
  • Have to agree that the backstories are overdone. I record and zoom through all but the signing. Ridiculous that they cut performances to show backstories – thought this was The Voice, not the story

Comment by JL – October 4, 2013 08:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Same! Backstories just make me roll my eyes which makes me feel guilty, like Melinda. Also, I think it’s very distasteful to use ones sick, or dead, relatives to further yourself on a reality tv show. Seriously!

Comment by Beth – October 5, 2013 12:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love love love #teamadam!

Comment by AJ – October 4, 2013 10:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hah I agree with Melinda about Will. He is really good. Still can’t believe he was like relegated so far down it may have been lower than the 7th level of hell on Michael’s list hah. (although I disagree with her about not being able to remember Monica…. who is sort of impossible to forget).
    Juhi is good but she is very much not my tops of the tops.
    And yeah the whole OMG you have NEVER SEEN THIS BEFORE ON THE SHOW…. either ends up never being shown (or is sooooo minor that people can’t even manage to pick out what they were hinting at no matter how hard they try) or is such a dinky little thing.
    And the back story stuff has gotten out of control. It reminds me of what CBS did to the Olympics where they took ABC’s Up Close And Personal stories and instead of mixing them inbetween showing complete sporting events made the Olympics a scattered run here or there mixed into non-stop stories. AGHHHH!!!!! Yeah it did super well with the non-serious female viewer. But long term it leads to disaster since the non-serious viewer eventually goes away anyway and the serious viewers fade out since they are so sick of having the non-story focus shoved in their face.

Comment by HTGR – October 5, 2013 01:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And sadly NBC copied CBS and does the stupid thing where they show like maybe 3 out of 80 skiers or 2 out of 35 bobsled runs and then blab about nonsense for three hours.
      Also NBC wayyyyyy overdoes the upcoming and just happened previews and reviews! WHY do you think you need to lure everyone in with previews right before commercial that are almost longer than what we get to see after commercial, plus it spoils too much! And do you think attention spans are THAT short that you need to replay the entire last segment after each commercial break?!

Comment by HTGR – October 5, 2013 01:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And yeah Ashley and Stephanie were good.
      Buble guy was iffy.

Comment by HTGR – October 5, 2013 01:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • In general, I’m Team Melinda on this one. Really liked Ashley and Will, couldn’t remember who Monika Leigh was, and absolutely noticed shakiness in Timyra-Joi’s song choice. I did like Sam, though.

Comment by Jake – October 5, 2013 02:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Interesting. No talk of Preston. Although I like Will and Juhl, my faves are still Tessanne and James W.

Comment by Tyler – October 5, 2013 02:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am going to give the show the benefit on Kaley Cuoco’s sister, there have been worse singers to make it through and a few pseudo-celebrities than got rejected in the Blind Auditions (granted none of which who brought someone as recognizable to the show as Kaley). And it does seem whenever someone you are surprised to get a button push, it usually is Christina who does the pushing. Now if Briana makes it to the Live Shows without any marketable improvement, then I will start believing the conspiracy theories. Not that I would have a problem with that happening because I would enjoy having Kaley Cuoco on my television screen twice a week. Maybe if Briana gets booted in the Battle Round, her and her sister can get some crappy reality show of their own.

Comment by scootermcgavin – October 5, 2013 07:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m disappointed you guys didn’t mention Preston, my favorite contestant so far this season. I watched his performance of “Electric Feel” probably 4 or 5 times because I loved it so much. I have really high hopes for him.

Comment by Karrah – October 5, 2013 10:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about those poor souls who were montaged!? They lose out automatically just because whoever in the show decided to pick them to be left out! We are all so excited over here in Asia because of CILLA CHAN who’s the first from this region who’s on the show but there was only a few seconds of her performance shown! We know she’s in Team Blake but we want to see how it all happened? more more more!! They should feature all who got in to be fair and less of those who didn’t get in!?

Comment by AsianPride – October 5, 2013 10:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes, they could cut down on the annoying backstories and actually show ALL the auditions for those that made it through!

Comment by Beth – October 5, 2013 12:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree with those who say wait and see how well the Kuoco girl does and how far she gets before calling “Shenanigans!”, g. She had a perfectly nice voice…I just think better people were passed over. I also dislike the backstories…is there no competition show that doesn’t feature crying contestants? Even if the judges didn’t hear the sob stories, the viewers did and they will be voting soon enough.

Which is my major problem with “The Voice”…they let America vote. At the point, the show should be renamed “The Voice…and The Appearance…and The Crying.”, g.

@Claudia Costa Chaves…I think the notepads are for making notes on the contestants and planning and plotting, g. I could be wrong…but I could be right.

Comment by Nero Trask – October 5, 2013 10:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She sounded ultra-nervous and hesitant to me, like feeling the pressure of overcoming the shadow too much and placing everything on this one performance. We will see how it goes once she settles in.

POSSIBLE SPOILER (although I don’t know if the info is real or not, so don’t get too excited either way): on another site someone claimed to have the list of who survives the next round and they say that she makes it, if so, maybe her potential does rise up fully once she has settled in.

Comment by HTGR – October 5, 2013 11:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Good point, I suppose they could just be using the notepads to keep track of someone they didn’t get on their team that they might be able to “steal” later on.

Comment by Beth – October 5, 2013 12:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I find it hilarious that the Big Bang Theory is absolutely destroying the Xfactor in the ratings and looky here, sissy to one of it’s stars is making it through on the Voice. BAH HAH HAH HAH. Oh c’mon, it is kinda funny.

Comment by Justin – October 5, 2013 11:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “Are you #TeamSlezak or #TeamIncorrect”
    …ur funnay Michael…

Comment by Pippy – October 5, 2013 11:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So far, I have a favorite on each team except Xtina… Holly from Team Blake, Juhi from Team Ceelo and Tessanne from Team Adam. They need to get some better guys auditioning, heh.

Comment by Amy – October 5, 2013 01:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As usual, Michael and Melinda had me laughing out loud at my computer screen, thanks you two, that was fun. And congrats Melinda, heard you have a new single coming out this month, can’t wait!

Comment by Annalisa – October 5, 2013 01:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How “Blind” is “Blind”? Is this a reality show competition? ‘Cuz experience tells you none of these shows leave these things to chance.

Comment by Name That Tune – October 5, 2013 02:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Exactly. The good news is that there seems to less manipulation overall on this season of The Voice. They have refused people with good music pedigrees who just did not make a great first impression with their auditions. The X Factor rejected the daughter of a very famous singer, and that was just last week. The only show still devoted to the art of manipulation is the stagnant AI, which I think is the least watchable of these talent shows.

Comment by MC – October 7, 2013 08:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I know it sucks, but no X Factor recap, Michael?

Comment by Nedsdag – October 5, 2013 03:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Man, I agree with Melinda so much this week. Will was my favorite this week by far and I also believe that Michael is dismissing clean vocalists for anyone (and I do mean almost ANYONE) that includes a quirk in the tone, no matter how pitchy they are throughout. Note to Michael: quirky tone =/= talented vocalist!!!!

Also, you dismissed him in your power rankings for singing a Gavin Degraw song? Unfair much?

Comment by Pat – October 6, 2013 12:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m just gonna chime in here and say that Preston is my favorite so far!

Comment by asherlev1 – October 6, 2013 08:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WTF…I can’t believe that the judges didn’t choose Diego.They made a big mistake.If it were me I would call him back…They did the same in X Factor but Simon went back at the singer’s home and he asked her to come back.And she won.Diego, did have” The Voice” power…I bet it’s gonna be another country singer who will win again.I’m done with this show…..TATA…

Comment by Louise – October 7, 2013 05:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post