Vampire Diaries Recap: Freshman Drama 101

Vampire Diaries Season 5 SpoilersThe Vampire Diaries made a surprisingly smooth transition to college in Thursday’s Season 5 premiere.

PHOTOS | Fall TV Spoiler Spectacular: Exclusive Scoop on The Vampire Diaries and 44 Other Returning Faves

While I still can’t picture Elena and Caroline actually attending class, their attempts at a “functional” fresh start, complete with dorm life and blood bags, fill a fun season opener and unlock a new mystery.

Still unaware that Bonnie is dead, the friends are surprised when they discover they have to share their spacious dorm room with a stranger named Megan. Caroline is immediately suspicious of her, and with good reason: There’s vervain in her water bottle, and when the trio head to a college party, Elena and Caroline find themselves needing to be invited in. That’s probably for the best, because Megan ends up getting killed by a vampire. The mystery deepens when the police find a suicide note, and then Caroline and Elena discover a picture of Megan and Elena’s dad on the dead girl’s phone. What?!

Meanwhile, back in Mystic Falls, Damon is playing Jeremy’s keeper while Elena is away at school. (If Elena is Jeremy’s legal guardian, how is it OK in the eyes of the law that she just left him with her boyfriend? I know, I know – suspension of disbelief.) Jer doesn’t make Damon’s new role easy when he gets expelled on the first day of school after getting into a fight with some bullies. I guess the whole “I burned down my house and faked my death because I had angst” cover doesn’t impress them much.

Complicating matters for Damon – who’s really trying to make a long-distance go of it with Elena – is a weathered, human Katherine, who shows up looking for help. She’s been running from her enemies, and she has blisters, darn it! Even worse, her hair’s all messed up, and you know she can’t be happy about that.

RELATED | The Vampire Diaries Season 5 Cast — Janina Gavankar as Tessa

But the real fun starts when Silas (Paul Wesley, relishing his new role) shows up in Mystic Falls. It’s a nice treat that he doesn’t spend a lot of time pretending to be Stefan, outside of one scene with Damon and Jeremy, who senses that he’s not really a Salvatore. After convincing Damon and realizing what he’s after, the two rush home, where Silas is having a flirty moment with a bubble bath-clad Katherine. Surprisingly, she doesn’t see through his un-Stefan-like behavior until he’s trying to choke her.

She does manage to get away, but Damon orders Jeremy to bring her back after Silas reveals Stefan’s miserable state. Katherine crashes the car to stop him. Jer’s pretty beat up from the accident, but Damon arrives in time to feed him blood. Damon actually looks really concerned about the little Gilbert, and I don’t think it’s just because Elena would never forgive him if her brother died on his watch. As for Katherine, she escapes, but Silas compels a whole gathering of townsfolk to track her down.

Then there’s poor Stefan, who’s drowning over and over and over and having hallucinations of Damon and Elena. After not hearing from him for a whole summer, Elena can sense that something’s wrong. Caroline, ever the Stelena ‘shipper, says that’s because she feels guilty Vampire Diaries Season 5 Recapfor breaking his heart and picking the wrong brother. But I’ve got another theory: Stefan and Elena are both doppelgangers, so maybe they have a connection through that?

On the ghostly front, Bonnie’s not ready to throw more death at Elena, so she has Jeremy send emails explaining that she’s on a trip with her mother. But hanging around Mystic Falls proves to be traumatizing when Silas kills her dad in the town square.

Finally, we come to sexy times with Matt and Rebekah, who open the hour with a threesome in Europe! She bids the busboy a passionate goodbye before taking off for The Originals in New Orleans. “Don’t call. Don’t write. And whatever you do, don’t you dare miss me,” she says between kisses. His threesome virginity isn’t the only thing Matt loses during their European adventure: The mysterious third party, Nadia, steals the Gilbert ring and comes to Mystic Falls (with a shady-looking dude) to attack him.

Vampire Diaries fans, what did you think of the show’s college try? What does Silas want with Katherine? And are you buying Tyler’s excuse that he can’t come to college because a wolf pack in Tennessee needs his help? (You made Caroline cry, Tyler. Not cool!) Grade the episode via the poll below, then back up your pick in the comments!

1. csterrs says:

So full of plot… enjoyable! Looking forward to what’s next!

2. Liz says:

Definitely thought this was a strong start to the season. I thnk it was a good idea taking klaus off of the show for his own show. They have so many opportunities for great storylines.

3. JC says:

World’s biggest college dorm room. And apparently Elena and Caroline didn’t notice the third bed in that room when they moved in?

4. Ed, Ned and Neddy says:

Sriously? A vampire show about vampires in college? Good I didn’t even watch Twilight for starters.

5. Francine says:

Surprisingly, I really enjoyed it. Last season was a mess and I almost stopped watching, but the Stefan/Silas storyline intrigued me enough to give it another shot. It’s really nice to see him do something that doesn’t revolve directly around Elena. There’s a lot of potential storylines so I hope they keep them going (though I thought the same thing last season and it turned into a muddled sire bond mess). Bring it back to the greatness of seasons 1 and 2. All in all, a promising start though.

6. Ian says:

God, all they do is make Bonnie suffer. I wish Julie would just write Bonnie off the show if that’s what she’s going to do so I don’t have to watch anymore. Kat can go be the star of another better drama.

7. thi86 says:

Well, it was a good episode! The fun really started when Silas appeared. Paul Wesley is doing a great job. And poor Stefan, drowning over and over again. I really think that this will change him forever.

8. Pati says:

It was good for the most part but the whole Silas story line is so Silly, the scene with Silas and Liz was hilarious, Paul Wesley is a terrible actor, “hello shadow self” who wrote that line, terrible. I liked everything else, I’m not giving up yet

9. Ava says:

Loved it. Great pace. Hopefully this season will continue along this route.

10. ruby says:

i liked the episode but still needs a lot of improvement and some storylines are boring like Megan…Paul was wonderful, I almost gave up watching TVD but like Francine, i am watching because of Stefan/Silas storyline!

11. Kate'shomesick says:

Matt finally got some action. Is it weird that I’m really happy about that :D? Pity that that seems to be over, now that Rebekah is gone and he seems to be a -demon???

12. R says:

I think that Silas needs a body so he can resurrect the spirit of his true love – who happens to look a lot like Katherine/Elena – hence the needing Katherine thing.

13. karlosalonsy says:

MATT WITH DEMON EYES EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. Yanez says:

I enjoyed this episode. I actually can’t wait to see what happens next and I haven’t felt that way since seasons 1 and 2 and the first half of season 3.

15. Hodan says:

Silas as the “big bad” was a letdown. I was hoping for something more impressive than what we got.

Loved Jeremy and Damon’s scenes. DE & Matt and Rebekah scenes were hot. I hope we get more backstory on the Gilberts and Salvatores.

All in all, it was a great episode.

16. Sparky says:

Might actually tune in this season….no hybrids, originals what can go wrong….

17. cas says:

I enjoyed it a lot. I think I will miss Rebekah so much though. I loved Matt and her scene’s together. Maybe if the Originals doesn’t make it they can just bring her back. I am not sure why everyone hate Klaus though as he was so hot. I am glad we are getting new storylines though. It’s refreshing.

18. Deion says:

I was pleasantly surprised. Their mistake with Silas was that they didn’t make him enough of a menace. Always threatening to do things when the worse thing he did was kill Jeremy. Perhaps with Stefan’s face, he will become more interesting. Klaus was more unpredictable and interesting on any given episode than Silas was in all of the second half of last season. As much as Tyler “leaves town” how did he ever graduate high school and get accepted to the college that Caroline applied to for him? Let’s hope that Matt’s new storyline is more fun, and less depressing so that they use him more than as “the last kid without powers”. I will miss Rebekah. She fits in with this cast more than the originals, but we’ll see.

19. BrianR says:

I really wanted Elena to comfort Caroline and get into bed with her for some cuddling.

20. dude says:

I thought this was their worst premier. Pretty boring and not that enjoyable. I was miffed that Rebekah got such an inglorious send-off but I loved human Katherine!

21. Weezy says:

Um am I the only one who thought the episode seemed off? It seemed random and disconjointed, and it felt like Stefan (which makes sense as he’s portraying Silas), Damon, and Elena were all acting kind of weird (literally acting, facial expressions, etc.). I love Nina and all, but honestly the way she played “human Katherine” was some horrible acting. I don’t know maybe it’s just me. But it just didn’t have the feel of a Vampire Diaries episode to me.

22. Anna Claxton says:

Damon and Elena’s chemistry is not there!

• gasgaga says:

They broke up in real life- its never going to be the same. You try having sex with your ex and making it look “real”

23. Jeri says:

I love this show, I haven’t watched this episode yet but I can watch each episode over & over & find something new each time. Looking forward to this one & the whole season.

24. Demetra Christakos says:

I find Elena’s essential character is still missing in action. I was one who felt the Elena-Stefan bond was the core of TVD. The whole thing about Elena leaving Jeremy’s ghost last season to go graduate and now departing for college before he gets sorted at school– they just don’t make sense without the sire bond as an explanation, Perhaps there will be some deeper connection between Damon and Elena that could replace Stelena and it just needs some more time?

25. SonOfCoul says:

I thought it was friggin Hilarious that when Elena was flipping through her phone contacts that both Klaus and Kol were in there.

26. evelyn says:

TVD 5 was awesome.I loved the new Stefan.looking forward to other episodes.

27. rachel says:

it reminded me of when Buffy went to college. Her first roommate died too.

28. Liz says:

anybody else wondering if Nadia and the mystery man could possibly be the kitsune from the books? it’d be strange to bring in another bad guy when Silas is already around, but something about them seemed strange and mischievous.

29. Kali. says:

Is any body concerned about Klaus?because i am.Why does evry body hate him?Because every body in the film has done horrible things including the precious Elena! His father has been chasing him for 1000 years,his mother didn’t do any thing to defend him before she died.she turn her back on him instead.and his precious rebeckah seems to choose & trust evry man she fall in love over her brother who protected for 1000 years from her stupid father.so what would you expect him to be?!deep down its known that he is sweet.

30. Jet says:

Stupid elena and her horribleness. I’m tired of the storylines revolving around. This is why i like Teen Wolf. Everyone is involved but here Bonnie dies and Rebekah leaves? I wonder how this season turns out!

31. Life disco says:

In the next episode, elena was able to flip out of silas compulsion, bcos she thinks of stefan, i think there is a great bond between stef and elena

32. Your piece of writing demonstrates you’re pretty well written and perfect for writing attention-catching posts.
    Will you write for other individuals? I will hire you for the work (by the hour,
    per page, .etc).

33. Its like you read my mind! You seem to know a lot about this, like you wrote the ebook in it
    or something. I feel that you simply can do with a few % to pressure the message home
    a little bit, but other than that, this is magnificent blog.

An excellent read. I’ll definitely be back.