Are You a Sean Saves the World Champion?

Sean Saves the World ReviewCan Sean Hayes help save NBC’s rebooted comedy line-up?

This Thursday night, the Will & Grace scene stealer took center stage with Sean Saves the World, in which he stars as a divorced gay dad whose teen daughter (played by Samantha Isler) comes to live with him just as the online retailer he manages is dealing with an incredibly demanding new boss (Reno 911!‘s Thomas Lennon).

RELATED | Fall TV Poll — NBC’s Michael J. Fox Show: Does He Still Have It?

“Helping” Sean during this transition, this juggling of work and home life, are his sassy mother Lorna (Alice‘s Linda Lavin) and longtime gal pal Liz (Smash‘s Megan Hilty).

Echo Kellum (Ben and Kate) rounds out the cast as Sean’s yes-man employee Hunter.

Although the pilot (reshot in part once Hilty took over the Liz role) is a bit heavy-handed with the Overbearing Boss shtick and Lavin at times seems to be channeling some Rhoda Morgenstern/Betty White hybrid, later episodes flesh out the supporting players. (Example: Lorna and Liz, you will see, enjoy an amusingly caustic repartee with one another, due to something the latter did at Sean’s ill-fated, years-ago wedding.)

Kellum, meanwhile, seems to perk up most every scene via a smart marriage of line delivery and specific character.

RELATED | Fall TV Poll — Will You Roll With NBC’s Ironside?

Even if you felt the premiere episode (and its prolonged “bathroom escape” attempt) was a bit sitcommy, will you revisit Sean’s World? Vote on the pilot and share your review in Comments.

1. Leondre says:

The critics can be really wrong sometimes…

Because that was not as horrible as I thought it would be. Linda was really funny

2. Brandy says:

Anyone else not able to watch? My tv is showing football!

3. Kaybee says:

Laugh track was so loud at beginning I thought maybe there was a show within a show and that he was about to address the director a la the promos for the show. Distracting enough that I turned to The Crazy Ones.

4. TV God says:

LOVED IT! It was such a good show, with a lot of potential!!!!!!!!!

• Kim R says:

Agreed. Loved it. Sean Hayes has such good comedic timing. Will definetly watch again. :)

• Laura says:

Completely agree! Gets better each week! I think people compare it to Will and Grace and think wow this isn’t as funny because the Megan Mullally/Sean Hayes combination was soo great! But go back and look at the earlier shows of Will and Grace not as funny as they got later,I think this show has great potential. Sean is right to think of his show as the funniest sit com out right now.

5. Kristina says:

Funny!

6. KND says:

I surprisingly liked this show. It was pretty funny.

7. Zach says:

Thomas Lennon was just plain hilarious. Sean Hayes was surprisingly low key, but he can do better. Watch his appearance on Scrubs where he played JD’s rival. He had one of the best emotional breakdowns in TV history.

8. Laquisha says:

The blonde lady was funny.

9. Ron says:

Like WTTF in the half-hour before it, I gave it a ‘C.’ Admittedly, I enjoyed WTTF much more, but SSTW, while not must-watch TV for me, didn’t seem to be as bad as some of the reviews I heard prior to airing. I thought it was a tolerable watch. I think my biggest issue with the show is that I personally find that Sean does his best work in a more ensemble setting (a la Will & Grace), and he was too much of the lead (as can be expected by the title) for me to fully enjoy it. It’s just a personal prejudice — I can only take so much of Sean’s rather over-the-top acting for so long. It worked on Will & Grace because he wasn’t in every scene like he is in this show.

• Dr. C says:

Yeah, Sean was way too hammy and appeared to be in a different production than the rest of the cast. I also think this is a horrible fit for Thomas Lennon, which is unfortunate since I was excited to see him on network TV.

10. Amy says:

Definitely exceeded expectations! Unlike a lot of the new comedies, this one really feels like it can find its footing and improve weekly.

11. Sean Hayes was great on Will & Grace but his own sitcom is not so “gay” for its humanity. Sean Saves the World is no New Normal and by next year, we still don’t want to see more TV shows focusing on gay characters. Given my grade of Sean Saves the World an F.

12. monieet says:

Sorry, but this will get cancelled. Castimg is off and it does not flow. Change the writing keep Sean, but recast EVERYONE else. He is great but needs more to work with. If no changes are made it will get cancelled.

13. soso14886 says:

I was not expecting to like this as much as I did, but I had some genuine LOL moments, especially when Sean said, “That is a truth!” I completely cracked up and I don’t even know why. Supporting cast is blah, except for Megan Hilty whom I am unashamedly biased towards after her spectacular work, week after week, in the ill-fated Smash.

I give it a B+ with a lot of potential to improve. Sean Hayes and Megan Hilty can carry this show if this pilot is anything to go by.

14. Shar says:

Dear Sean- get rid of the laugh track ! Have fun with the online catalogue work environment and bring in really crazy stuff to sell, make Megan Hilty’s role less needy and play up that our character is really out of his depth and be vulnerable.

15. Jovi says:

Not surprisingly, Sean Hayes brings freshness and energy to anything he touches. I enjoyed it and want to see them add layers as we go along. I’m a fan of Linda Lavin, so that’s all good. All in all = Thumbs up.

16. TV God says:

It isn’t a laugh track, Sean Hayes tweeted pictures of the live studio audience when they filmed the pilot.

• DBK says:

You’re right about that as I was in the audience for the 2nd taping which will be an episode revolving around who takes Sean’s daughter shopping for her first bra. The rivalry between Linda Lavin’s character and Megan’s will be central to the storyline.

It also sounded like a soundtrack to me. I have a feeling they must have technically enhanced the audience’s laughing for the pilot perhaps because they had to reshoot the scenes with Liz since Megan Hilty took over the role from Lindsay Sloane. Another reason it could have been technically enhanced is that it’s shot with multi-cameras and there were at least three takes of each scene and one even had 10 because of jokes misfirings. The writers were on set and they changed lines for Sean Hayes many times. When you see a scene 3 or more times knowing the punchlines it’s a bit hard for the audience to laugh each time; I didn’t.

Can’t wait to read what people think of next week’s episode with the bras.

• Stacy says:

You understand that this doesn’t mean they didn’t add canned laughing… right?

Sean Saves the World has a laugh track. Yes, it does.

17. Michael Malone says:

I liked it. Grade: “B” Definately saw potential.I’ll be back next week. I thought over all the writing was clever – as was the direction form Jimmy Burows. It played to Sean’s strengths. Love the casting. Love Linda. LOVE Megan. And from one gay dad…special kudos to NBC for casting him as a gay dad. It’s perfect (for him). I also love that he put a few pounds on since Will and Grace. It makes him even more like-able. It’s almost like we’re seeing “Jack” evolve. Type casting – yes. Believable? Absolutely. And his daughter has the chops to go toe to toe with him. Bottom line – It looks like they’re having fun – and they seem like people I’d like to drop in on once a week. I liked Linda’s character. Wished they didn’t have that mushy scene on the couch (she and Sean.) If Sean’s mom’s going to be a little bitchy…I don’t want to see her sweet side- at least not yet. Lastly, I kept hoping to see Megan Mullally pop in. If you’re listening NBC….bring her to this show – as a guest? His Nemesis? A corporate boss? Something!? They play so well together. The on-screen chemistry those two share is magical.

18. TV God says:

@Michael Malone, I couldn’t agree more!!!! I loved everything about this show, and it has SOOOO much potential!!!!! A great cast, great writing, and the great jim burrow!! All it needs is better ratings, and NBC will try to fit SSTW around in the schedule, because NBC loves Sean, and rightly so! He has done so much for NBC! I absolutely love Sean and the rest of the cast!!

19. TV God says:

*James Burrows

20. Tina B. says:

LOVED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG! it was so aweome, Jack err I mean Sean, the daughter ellie, the co-workers, love Megan!!! the boss and the mom. HIT!