Ratings: Ironside Cops a Low for NBC, Super Fun Night Opens Well, Revolution Slides Further

Get More: News, Premieres, Ratings

Ratings Ironside Premiere NBCWhile not exactly criminally low, NBC’s Ironside had a soft series premiere, copping 6.8 million total viewers and a 1.4 demo rating — down 16 percent in the demo from Chicago Fire‘s year-ago debut in the Wednesdays-at-10 spot, shedding 30 percent of its SVU lead-in and representing NBC’s lowest-rated fall drama debut ever.

The night’s other newcomer, ABC’s Super Fun Night, drew 8.2 mil and a 3.2 — up from Suburgatory (7.5 mil/2.8) and Happy Endings‘ (7.3 mil/3.1) most recent Wednesdays-at-9:30 premieres, giving ABC its best Wednesday comedy debut in four years and standing as this fall’s No. 2 comedy launch (trailing CBS’ The Crazy Ones).

SFN also demonstrated much better retention out of Modern Family (76 percent) than Suburgatory (64 percent) and Happy Endings (54 percent).

RELATED | Fall TV Poll: Will You Roll With NBC’s Ironside?

RELATED | Fall TV Poll: Did You Have a Super Fun Night with Rebel Wilson?

Elsewhere on ABC, The Middle (7.8 mil/2.2) fell 12 percent in the demo from its premiere, Back in the Game (6.6 mil/1.8) dropped 18 percent from its debut, Modern Family (11 mil/4.2) held steady and Nashville (6 mil/1.9) ticked down one tenth.

RELATED | Nashville Recap: A Record (Deal) Breaker

Opening NBC’s night, relocated Revolution (5.4 mil/1.5) was down 21 and 17 percent from its season opener. SVU (6.8 mil/2.0) likewise dropped — 29 and 26 percent — from its buzzy two-hour premiere.

Over on CBS, Survivor (10 mil/2.6) rose two tenths from its premiere, while CSI (9.5 mil/2.1) ticked up one tenth, with both shows gaining viewers. Criminal Minds (11 mil/2.7) dipped a smidge.

Fox’s The X Factor, with 7.8 mil and a 2.4, added a few eyeballs while dipping a tenth in the demo week-to-week.

RELATED | Michael Slezak’s The X Factor Recap: Chair Today, Gone Tomorrow

Comments (45)

• I’m disappointed that ratings for Revolution went down from last week’s premiere. Wednesdays at 8 p.m. is still a “black hole” for NBC and I don’t know if Revolution is going to survive that time slot depending on the outcome of the show’s ratings. NBC is going to make a decision whether or not Revolution is going to get renewed for another season (before the TV season is over) because if it does, it should move to Tuesdays and have a lead-in with The Voice and it could air perhaps at 9 p.m. or 10 p.m.

Comment by Flacco Kaepernick – October 3, 2013 08:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • For me, the problem with Revolution this season is that everyone’s apart. The season is working backwards to what happened when the power went on and also moving into what’s next, as a result. The writers are not doing it anywhere nearly as well as Lost was written. It’s too disjointed. Close to dropping it off the DVR.

Comment by AngieD – October 3, 2013 09:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think the storyline reboot the NBC suits seemed to have forced upon this show left the writers scrambling to retcon the entire story Eric Kripke originally wanted to tell. It’s disheartening.

Comment by Bridget – October 3, 2013 10:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My hopes for network tv audience is diminishing day by day. I used to make fun of Revolution sometimes during the uneven season 1, but season 2 has been stunningly brilliant and getting praises even from the critics who hated it before, but the audience are leaving. Figures.

Comment by John – October 3, 2013 10:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • What critics? I don’t think the praise is as universal as you claim. There’s wildly differing opinions on this page alone.

Comment by TigerNightmare – October 3, 2013 03:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Because all the ones talking on this page are critics? And I see lots of admiration towards the show even on this page. Go google the latest episode reviews. You should know that since you’re trolling all the time around here.

Comment by POIFanatic – October 4, 2013 02:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • C’mon, you know I didn’t say any of that. Are there wildly differing opinions on this page? Yes. Did anyone bother to name a reputable critic? No. Someone published in TVGuide, EW, etc., or at the very least FilmCritHULK. I’m not going to look at random fan blogs, those are always one-sided. People who don’t like the show aren’t going to blog about it.

Comment by TigerNightmare – October 4, 2013 01:31 PM PDT
          • Just skimming stuff Google pops up for Revolution premiere review. Tim Surette on TV.com gives a positive review, but concludes, “I’m not foolish enough to say that the show is back on track.” The most voted answer in the poll by 186 votes is “Yeah, I’m going to give it another try. But let’s not get too excited here. It could fall apart just as easily.”
            Kevin Yeoman of ScreenRant.com gave it a middling review. “It’s still early in the season, so if you remain skeptical, then you’ve got company. While ‘Born in the USA’ has inklings of what Revolution promised in the beginning … the episode’s end may leave viewers saying, ‘Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice…’” The vast majority of the comments there are negative.
            Eric Goldman of IGN gave the premiere a score of 7.8 (good). It’s not a great rating, and despite much focus on what the show is doing better, he doesn’t use any adjectives better than “improved”.
            The next hit was an actual published critic, Danielle Turchiano of the LA Examiner, giving 3/5 stars. Matt Roush of TVGuide says in a brief write-up, “Revolution is too convoluted for its own good.” I’m not just looking for bad reviews, here, this is what Google is showing me. I’m no fan of the show, but simply giving an opinion contrary to yours is not trolling. Otherwise you would be trolling me. Doesn’t work that way. All I ask is for people to be honest and not make false claims.

Comment by TigerNightmare – October 4, 2013 02:19 PM PDT
          • Thank you! Lets see one of the biggest critic and haters’ second episode review – Tim Surrette:
            “That’s two weeks in a row of quality network television science-fiction from a show that used to be a total joke. When is it too early to declare that this show has really changed things because we’re scared it will revert to what Season 1 was? I hope we don’t get to that point because I’m digging Season 2 so far.”
            He also says its not just Revolution-good this season, but genuinely good.
            Episode 2 has gained even more critical praise than the premiere from other actual critics and not bloggers like TN says.

Comment by John – October 5, 2013 12:44 AM PDT
          • John, if it really is a different show now, I hope they can maintain. But for me and several of the viewers who already bailed, it’s a case of too little too late. I can’t imagine caring about any of the characters at this point, especially Charlie. I mentioned wanting to break up with this show a few months ago, with three episodes on my DVR that I’ve been avoiding. Then a friend of mine told me to watch the finale before I made a determination, as if it contained the kind of quality that would turn everything around. And boy, was I disappointed. I seriously doubt it has become appointment TV and I feel so burned at this point that there’s no going back. Best of luck to you.

Comment by TigerNightmare – October 5, 2013 05:44 PM PDT
    • They lost me when they split the first season.. Never got back into it… I found The female lead (Charlie?) to be that annoying.

Comment by DarkDefender – October 3, 2013 06:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • She’s gotten surprisingly better this season.

Comment by Miranda – October 4, 2013 03:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Will be interested to see what happens with Super Fun Night. I watched it because I wanted to and will give it another chance. However, it was pretty disappointing and only hope it gets better.

Comment by Marianne – October 3, 2013 08:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ABC, please don’t cancel Back in the Game. I could not stop laughing at last night’s episode. With so many bland comedies full of harmless people, it’s really fun to see a show with so much balls (pun semi-intended).

Comment by Zach – October 3, 2013 08:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think Trophy Wife will be axed before Back in the Game. (But Lucky 7 will beat them both to cancellationville.)

Comment by JC – October 3, 2013 08:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I could live with that. Trophy Wife is cute, but ultimately expendable. Akerman and Whitford have good chemistry, but lots of it feels a little “been there, done that”.

Comment by Zach – October 3, 2013 09:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Trophy Wife is surprisingly funny. It has an awful title though!

Comment by Ann – October 3, 2013 09:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Agreed. (It also had an awful rating for episode 2.)

Comment by JC – October 3, 2013 09:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Back in the Game is a “tough sell” as well as Trophy Wife and The Goldbergs. Don’t know if either one of ABC’s new sitcoms is going to become a breakout hit(s).

Comment by Flacco Kaepernick – October 3, 2013 09:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I honestly don’t see how Back in the Game is a “tough sell”. Hey, it’s James Caan! It’s Maggie Lawson! Baseball and curse words! Boom! Sold!

Comment by Zach – October 3, 2013 09:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • ^ THIS?! Another thing, don’t know why episodes of Back in the Game wasn’t available On Demand as well as Criminal Minds.

Comment by Flacco Kaepernick – October 3, 2013 10:00 AM PDT
          • I watched the pilot for just these reasons, and I was treated to 20 minutes of unrelenting misandry. Not being thin-skinned I haven’t removed it from my DVR yet, but it’s definitely no longer a priority for me.

Comment by Planck Hate (@planckhate) – October 3, 2013 12:50 PM PDT
    • Yeah Back in the game is the only new comedy that makes me laugh.
      The kids are surprisingly good !

Comment by Lilys87 – October 3, 2013 04:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good episode of Revolution but this show is to violent for that time slot. I’m guessing it’s on a lot of DVR’s today.

Comment by wrstlgirl – October 3, 2013 08:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • True. I can’t watch this show with the kids around, so I DVR it. I suspect that the DVR numbers will bring the ratings up. This timeslot is awful for this type of show….it needs to air later in the evening.

Comment by Ann – October 3, 2013 09:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m going to be watching it OnDemand the next day. If only CW would put their shows on there, thought Arrow was new but it looks like it was really a recap and it’s on my DVR. Watched Survivor since I don’t want spoilers on that.

Comment by JERI STALLARD (@TYGER0902) – October 3, 2013 09:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • CW show are on On Demand to Comcast Xfinity customers

Comment by Brandy – October 3, 2013 10:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally agree.

Comment by Bridget – October 3, 2013 10:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is sad for NBC. SVU in its 15th season did better than both shows that came on before and after…

Comment by Esaul – October 3, 2013 08:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • CSI still strong for a 14 years old show !

Comment by BB – October 3, 2013 09:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Revolution may be down due to Dish Network dropping NBC! I know I couldn’t watch!

Comment by Gregg – October 3, 2013 09:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • For local channels like nbc you can just buy an antenna for $10-20 and get it for free. It would be different if you lost a channel you can’t watch over the air

Comment by crog – October 3, 2013 10:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not sure what is going with the Revolution ratings. I really love this show. Maybe they should move it back to Monday.

Comment by shar – October 3, 2013 09:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • In honesty, if those reality shows did not exist most of these shows would get better ratings and better time slots.

Remember when talent shows were dubbed as “specials”?

Comment by THE TV CRITIC – October 3, 2013 09:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Revolution is getting really good. I haven’t watch this week episode but the premiere was really good. I’ll be really disappointed if it gets cancel. I don’t know why they moved it from Mondays, to Wednesdays at 8pm. I can’t watch live because 8pm is the time I get out of work on Wednesdays so by the time I get home is over. The time slot suck big time for me.

Comment by monica4185 – October 3, 2013 10:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Revolution should be moved to original day and time. The Voice at 8, Blacklist at 9, Revolution 10…Times are eastern.

Comment by Belle – October 3, 2013 10:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wasn’t the first episode of Ironside available to watch early a few weeks ago?

“The pilot episode was released early as of September 10th, 2013, available on the iTunes Store, Amazon.com, and Hulu for free.” as per the Wikipedia page. That might explain the low ratings.

Comment by Michael Sacal – October 3, 2013 10:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s right! I forgot the Ironsides pilot was offered online before it actually premiered on NBC last night! There is no justice in this world if this great show is canceled. Blair Underwood is talented, charismatic and beyond handsome. Cast member Pablo Schreiber is such a versatile actor. If this captivating mature intelligent show doesn’t make it, am I and others doomed to watch the plethora of idiotic trash that is passing for entertainment lately? I hope not. Fellow intelligent TV watchers with great taste speak up!!

Comment by Marilyn esterson – October 3, 2013 11:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, I saw it on On Demand weeks ago. And as a result, I could ax it from my regular viewing schedule, because I found it to be a big pile of “meh.” I don’t think releasing it early did it any favors.

Comment by meem – October 3, 2013 11:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Revolution seems to do well (or at least improve) in the Live +3/7 DVR ratings – I know live watching is key but could this help Revolution’s renewal prospects? I’ve been a fan from the beginning but I also think this season has been better so I hate to think this could be it.

Comment by Amanda – October 3, 2013 11:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • In some cases that and the online viewing seem to help renewal chances. I think season 2 has been fantastic! I hope the ratings don’t keep going down.

Comment by Elyse – October 3, 2013 12:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like Revolution in an 8pm timeslot because I can watch live but if moving it back to a 10pm slot means more viewers and better rating they should do it. Cancel Ironside and put Revolution in its place. With that being said I’m LOVING season 2!

Comment by Elyse – October 3, 2013 12:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Watched Super Fun Night to see if all the negative press was accurate (it was!). It will be interesting to see what its numbers are next week.

Comment by K2 – October 3, 2013 05:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This just goes to show you that when networks change the night and timeslot of a show, it loses viewers! I totally FORGOT that Revolution was even on at 8 pm on Wednesday. I did remember Criminal Minds at 9 because that’s the original timeslot of that show (last year it was Tuesdays at 10 and I used to forget it there too!!) Interesting that NCIS has NEVER been changed and Grey’s Anatomy has NEVER been changed, and they both continue to have good ratings well into their 11th and 10th seasons, respectively. They need to switch Revolution back to Mondays at 10pm. This show is too violent for 8pm viewing. I’m surprised the network censors allowed that change, or that parent groups haven’t complained!!

Comment by Linda – October 4, 2013 08:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so disappointed that Ironsides will not continue. Just when I fall for a show, the bigwigs decide they are going to throw it out! Not nice, people – there are so few good programs on the air right now and Ironsides was one of the better ones. Thanks a lot – now I have to find another one! I’m just a little ticked at you.

Comment by Pattie – October 18, 2013 04:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post