Glee's Finn Tribute: Is This the Track List?

Glee Finn Tribute SongsThe soundtrack for Glee‘s farewell to central character Finn Hudson — and tribute to its late star Cory Monteith — has been reportedly finalized, and it looks as though the actor’s real-life girlfriend Lea Michele will be closing the hour with a Bob Dylan cover.

RELATED | First Look: Glee Says ‘Goodbye’ to Finn

The track list for “The Quarterback” — first reported by MJsBigBlog but not confirmed by Fox — is as follows:

“Seasons of Love” (from Rent)
The Pretenders’ “I’ll Stand By You” (performed by Amber Riley’s Mercedes)
James Taylor’s “Fire and Rain”
The Band Perry’s “If I Die Young” (performed by Naya Rivera’s Santana)
Bruce Springsteen’s “No Surrender”
Bob Dylan’s “Make You Feel My Love” (performed by Lea Michele’s Rachel, and rumored to be the actress’ only scene in the episode)

RELATED | Glee in Season 5: Dream Plot Developments for 13 Key Characters — Rachel, Santana and More!

“The Quarteback” is set to air Oct. 10 at 9/8c on Fox.

1. Tess says:

I’ll certainly miss Finn on Glee. I’m glad they picked good songs in this tribute episode.

2. Jared says:

OMG. I have goosebumps just reading this. It’s going to be beautiful. :(

RIP Cory

• Eurisko says:

milk his death for all the ratings they can.

• J says:

It’s a no win situation publicity-wise. Do they “milk” it, or do they ignore it and face the wrath of, well, everybody, but for a different reason?

• ben says:

The writers of the show have no need to milk for all the ratings they can – the show has an end date and thats that.

• Eurisko says:

no you’re right Ben. They don’t care about ratings at all. They are totally using it to get a bump and people like you will eat it up. Classy is a word they need to Google….gross.

• your comment makes no sense. EVERY show that has had a real life tragedy with a cast member has done a tribute episode to honor their fallen friend. They have to honor the character of Finn. He was a great friend to pretty much the ENTIRE cast and such an important part of Glee. To just ignore his character from here on out would make no sense and be incredibly disrespectful to the fans and cast of the show. They’re not milking it. Every cast member currently on the show (except Demi) worked with Corey. They all loved him. This is a good way of helping them grieve and the fans grieve cuz this isnt something you just get over.

• Anne says:

thats a very synical thing to say! if any fan really thought that there would be an outcry against it instead of looking forward to it. in some ways our fav actors become like extended family members & people need to say goodbye. try another forum for synics eg little green men dont exist!

3. J says:

We’ll considering this soundtrack’s on Amazon it’s probably real

4. Lalalala says:

Was really hoping for Rivers and Roads by The Head and the Heart because that was one of Cory’s favorite songs and it would’ve fit his tribute well

• Fernkelsey says:

Oh wow that would be amazing. It’s one of my favorite songs too! And so relevant to the point of my life that I’m in (senior year of college, graduating in May, everyone is moving away, etc).

5. English says:

For some reason I was hoping for Carrie Underwood’s See You Again to be part of it… not sure why.

6. Sara says:

I haven’t watched Glee in more than a year but I look forward to this tribute

7. Cherry says:

I was hoping for Lea/Rachel to sing “Unbreak my Heart” by Toni Braxton or “My Heart Will Go On” by Celine.

• Anna says:

My Heart Will Go On” seems a bit…wrong. I can’t exactly explain it, but I think it’s good that they’re (with the exception of “If I Die Young” perhaps) avoiding songs that are “on the nose” about death or a dead lover. “Make You Feel My Love” is a song that Rachel would have sung to Finn when he was alive. I think that makes it more poignant and touching, rather than tacky and exploitative.

• JJ says:

yeah I too think that “My Heart Will Go On” would seem a bit wrong… it’s such a power ballad whereas “Make You Feel My Love” is more delicate and sensitive. Perfect choice in my opinion.

8. the girl says:

I’m glad Mercedes, Santana, and Rachel are listed to have solos. Not only do I love their voices, but they are the originals. It would be nice for Kurt (his step-brother) to also have a solo, but I will take what I can get. As long as none of the newbies are getting extra shine.

• dude says:

That “brother” connection was always entirely forced. They tell us over and over again how close they are and what a connection they have yet they’ve done little to actually backup the point. The less time they spend trying to wedge in that “special bond” the better.

9. Nessie says:

I love Seasons of Love and If I Die Young, I hate Bob Dylan but love Adeles version of Make You Feel My Love, the rest are good. Overall I think it’s a great choice of songs.

10. John says:

Rachel is in more than one scene. However she doesng show up til that episodes last act

11. Curly Girly says:

Waaaaaaaaahhh! I’m going to need some tissues, for sure!!

12. Ally Oop says:

That playlist is GOOD. Itll definitely be a tearjerker.

13. CMG says:

Seasons of Love is good, but “I’ll Cover You (Reprise)” would have been more fitting.

• Randi says:

I don’t think that anyone on earth could handle hearing I’ll Cover You (Reprise) without bawling. I don’t think anyone could sing it about a real person that they loved without breaking down. That song is so tragically beautiful. Ugh.

14. Mallory says:

i really hope Puck sings “No Surrender”… I think it’d be fitting for their long friendship, bumps along the way and everything

15. -- says:

I was hoping for “See You Again” by Carrie Underwood. Perfect song for Rachel to sing :(

16. Stephanie says:

I hope Will gets to sing in the episode, he and Finn were like father and son despite some rough patches

• Claire says:

I’ll be shocked if “Fire and Rain” isn’t a Will solo. Of course, now that I’ve typed that it will probably go to Blaine. Hope “Seasons of Love” is all original New Directions members.

• Katie says:

I understand the sentiment with wanting to hear a “original” New Directions number, but I think it’s important to include the new members too. Those actors still worked with and want to honor Cory, plus it would show Finn’s impact on the entire glee club, not just the ones who knew him longest. Normally I end up rolling my eyes through a lot of the Glee, but I’m definitely willing to cut everyone some slack this time. I can’t imagine how difficult it was to tap into such real emotions on camera.

17. Angela says:

Quite the interesting list. Some good artists/songs there, though. God, this episode is going to be a tough one.

18. DreamRose311 says:

I’ll Stand By You was one of my favorite early Finn moments… definitely a fitting choice. *sigh*

• amelia rose says:

After hearing them say they were reprising a song from season one this was my first choice. Keep Holding On seemed a close second but this one seemed to fit the idea of not everyone accepting Finn’s death better.

19. Leslie says:

I recently heard “Seasons of Love” and thought it would be perfect for the Finn tribute.

20. Mike says:

Who cares? This guy dies of a drug overdose and now everyone wants to “sing his praises”. An example of someone who abused and used and should not be looked at with anything but pity. Waste of a life.

• DoctorWhoFanatic! says:

I hope when you die, people don’t have that attitude towards your life. Everyone is worth something, and everyone makes mistakes, even tragic ones such as Monteith’s.

If you really didn’t care, you wouldn’t be clicking on the article, you wouldn’t be commenting on the article, and you damn well wouldn’t be spewing hate about it. If you were apathetic, you would have just moved on and not been a heartless a-hole.

• tjmack says:

You should be ashamed of yourself! No matter how a person dies, the fact that Cory was only 31 years old is a shame, and it’s sad. No matter how troubling of a past he’s had (he’s had a drug addiction since he was 12!) he was an inspiration to others. In fact, until he personally came out about his trouble with drugs, no one even knew about it. I found your comment very unsettling and kind of rude. Yes, he made a mistake. He had been sober for many years, and fell off the wagon. It happens. How is he any different than any other actor/singer/regular joe who has a drug addiction? I could definitely point you in the direction of quite a few “beloved” people who have had or still have a drug or alcohol problem. I definitely could point out plenty of celebrities that are considered beloved that died from drugs or alcohol, but people still love them. If you have a problem with Cory or how he died, then why did you even click on an article that you knew would about it? Some people should learn to think before they post.

• Sil says:

There isn’t one person on earth who hasn’t regretted something they’ve done or said at some point in their life. No one should ever pass judgment on another. I have made poor choices and have learned from them. At least we should. Cory was a changed man who remembered where he came from and gave back to those who fit in his shoes when he was a lost youth. He showed them there was hope. I feel sorry for those who can only see the negativity and not the bountiful positivity Cory brought into a multitude of peoples lives. I thought and saw him as a beautiful soul, full of life, giving generous, humble, never said an unkind word about anyone. I guess, someone like that should be scoffed at and publically persecuted for his past.

• Brenda says:

I actually agree with Mike. We should not rave about him, we should use his life as an example to all kids to not glorify drug use. Unfortunately, the ad demographic is pre-teen and if you read the comments, that’s who’s watching the show.
      I only pray that these kids don’t want to emulate him, but I fear the worse. Shame on America!!!

• But that’s just it. Everyone wants to focus on the fact that he was a drug addict, and that drugs are what killed him, and I do agree that drug use shouldn’t be glorified. However, everyone seems to forget that Cory did a lot of good in his short life. He was a very, very charitable person. He was always willing to stop for autographs and pictures, no matter what he was doing. He was always very humble in interviews. Cory was a good guy that had a bad habit he couldn’t quit, and he shouldn’t be condeemed for that. They aren’t trying to glorify drug use, and Lea Michele even said that they were recording anti-drug ads to play during his tribute episode. It’s not about that. It’s about celebrating the life of someone that people loved and lost. It’s a way for the cast to grieve for their lost castmate, and it’s a way for fans to grieve for an actor and a character that they loved. Finn was the heart of Glee, and Cory was the heart of the cast (the cast has even said the same thing many times) and he shouldn’t just be shoved to the side and forgotten because he made a mistake.

• Anne says:

brenda & mike.. i think you are both missing the point..theres enough been spent on antidrug campaigns..people are informed..the choices they make are their own & nothing anyone does here or anywhere else will make someone who doesnt want to stop STOP. thats a fact…
        the point made here isnt to glorify what mistake he made in his life but the tragedy of losing someone who was loved & appreciated for what he gave people & contributed to in his life .. everyone with half a brain knows he made mistakes.. but we arent dwelling we are acknowledging he was human as we all are & any tribute is to help his fans & the people who loved him celebrate those feelings & have some small closure .. .. anne

• I like season 4 says:

Dude what the heck? He was more than his problems. If you knew anything about him you would know that. Plus this is also a tribute to his character Finn who did not have a drug problem. So stop making rash judgements please.

• Angela says:

Is there a particular reason this argument needs to come up EVERY single time there’s a discussion on this topic, or…?
      Honoring a friend who’s passed on is a perfectly normal thing to do, regardless of how it was they died. It doesn’t mean they’re ignoring the tragic way he died, nor does it mean they “glorify” it, or whatever else people assume.

• Pen says:

Mike, you are an insulting, insufferable, sad excuse of a human being!! In short a total ass!! Cory was more than a drug addict and to keep bringing that up is an insult to his family, his friends, his fans and his loved ones. God help you get over your judgemental attitude and develop some understanding of people who live with addictions~ If it was your brother, you think he should just be put in the ground without those who loved him having a chance to say goodbye????? Moron!

• Anne says:

any stones in that glass bag Mike ??!

21. Jared says:

Naya Rivera’s If I Die Young will definitely have me in tears.

22. Krista says:

Ive been waiting 5 seasons for Seasons of Love. And it couldn’t be for a better episode.

23. newinkpop says:

I’m sorry but I hate this track list…Finn deserves better…

24. margo says:

I have been waiting for the last season to come on Netflix streaming. I thought it would be by now so I can catch up to this season. Sigh.

25. Brian says:

Love the song list. “Seasons of Love” and “Make You Feel My Love” are a couple of my guilty pleasures songs…

26. betty says:

Do they have to ruin Springsteen and Dylan while they’re at it? I still remener that horrible Glory Days cover they did.

• Jay says:

Cory was a big Bruce Springsteen fan and attended one of the concerts last year. I think this is a nod to him and an excellent song choice. No Surrender is a beautifully written song.

27. Jacqi says:

Maybe Naya can fix that song because I cant stand it normally. This show is gonna be a tear-jerker.

28. Ella says:

I was really hoping they’d sing “Hear You Me” by Jimmy Eats World. I hear Mark Salling is in the episode, which I seriously hope is true, Puck was Finn’s best friend. I do feel sad that Dianna Agron is missing though, not just because Quinn was Finn’s ex-girlfriend but also because they were so close in real life. I am going to bawl during this :(

29. bloggen.be says:

Your style is so unique compared to other folks I’ve read stuff from.
    I appreciate you for posting when you’ve got the opportunity, Guess I
    will just book mark this page.