Ratings: Blacklist and Sleepy Hollow Still Strong, Bones Rises, CBS Slate Slips, DWTS Drops More

Get More: News, Premieres, Ratings

Ratings Blacklist Sleepy HollowNBC’s The Blacklist is remaining on people’s Monday playlists, drawing 12.1 million total viewers and a 3.6 rating in its second outing — down just 5 percent from the its premiere.

Time slot rival Hostages, meanwhile, dropped 17 percent from its debut, doing 6 mil and a 1.5.

RELATED | James Spader on Possible Blacklist/Avengers Sequel Conflict: ‘I’m Hoping for a Smooth Transition’

Rounding the 10 o’clock battle, Castle (11 mil/2.2) shed a handful of eyeballs while steady in the demo versus its season opener.

RELATED | Castle Season 6 Recap: Beckett Races to Save Rick from Dying

More Monday notes:

CBS | How I Met Your Mother opened the Eye’s night with 7.7 mil/3.1, down 16 percent from its final season premiere. We Are Men — which TVLine readers gave a “C-” — debuted out of that with 6.4 mil/2.0, shy of what the ill-fated Partners did a year ago (6.6 mil/2.4). 2 Broke Girls (7.6 mil/2.4) in turn fell 14 percent, while Mom (7 mil/2.2) slipped 12 percent from its launch.

RELATED | Fall TV Poll: Does CBS’ We Are Men Man Up?

FOX | Bones, with 7.1 mil and a 2.2, rose 6 and 16 percent from its premiere. Sleepy Hollow built on that with 8 mil/3.0, ticking down just 8 percent and a tenth from Week 2.

RELATED | Sleepy Hollow Season 1 Recap — Ichabod and Abbe Battle the Sandman

ABC | Dancing With the Stars drew 12.8 mil and a 2.0, down 13 percent in the demo week-to-week and now off a full third from its strong-ish season premiere.

RELATED | Dancing With the Stars Week 3 Results: Did The Right Couple Go Home?

NBC | The Voice (14.2 mil/4.6) dipped 5 and 10 percent from last Monday.

Tags: ,

Comments (68)

• I really liked Blacklist’s second episode. I think I’m in it for the long-haul with this show. (Also, can James Spader escape in every episode? That’ll never get old.)

Comment by Slizabeth – October 1, 2013 08:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Really enjoy the whole show. There is no filler. Its like a combination of all my other favorite shows; White Collar, Burn Notice, Chuck, and Mentalist.

Criminal helping authorities – White Collar
      Espionage, lines blurred between good and bad – Burn Notice
      A person on the side of good that only a few people know about – Chuck
      Mentalist – smart ass making everyone else feel stupid when he explains everything.

I hope this show keeps up the great writing. James Spader knocks it out of the park, as always!

Comment by Matt – October 1, 2013 09:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • respectfully, i feel the opposite. apparently all it takes to evade the FBI, who APPEAR to have heavy surveillance on him at all times, is to walk out the back door of any given establishment after a convenient (and predictable) diversion. i’m not giving up on the show, but my biggest issue is what seems to me the completely unrealistic willingness of the FBI to do whatever Reddington says. they’ve gone to great lengths to secure this most-wanted criminal (in a shipping container of all things) and they’re constantly compromising that security… i’m not saying their desire to save lives isn’t important, but the FBI really needs to sort out its priorities.

Comment by cjeffery7 – October 1, 2013 10:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Agreed. There’s no question it is a entertaining show of high quality in filming and acting. Just leave your brain at the door as the plot holes and the plausibity are Bad.

Comment by Len – October 1, 2013 02:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Thank you for pointing out the glaringly obvious. I have given up on the show after the second episode again made everyone in the FBI seem like total morons. It’s such lazy writing.

Comment by Eli – October 1, 2013 02:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • We are also really enjoying this show. Love the twists and turns and James Spader is just…well….so fantastically good in this roll.

Comment by Kim R – October 1, 2013 12:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Both Blacklist and Sleepy Hollow were excellent last night. They keep this up and both FOX and NBC have certified hits on their hands…

Comment by sladewilson – October 1, 2013 08:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glad to see Blacklist and Sleepy Hollow staying mostly steady. They are some of my favorite new shows.

Comment by Amanda – October 1, 2013 08:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Definitely agree, I’m enjoying both so far.
      Kind of funny that both shows have so prominently used Sympathy For The Devil in their early episode soundtracks. In that regard, I think Blacklist wins – just a perfect song choice for that moment. Their music coordination has really been impeccable so far.

Comment by wordsmith – October 1, 2013 09:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • So happy to see NBC have a show getting more than 10 million viewers and CBS’s hostages suffers. It’s the way it should be, as NBC show have a much higher quality to them.

Comment by B – October 1, 2013 10:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Go Sleepy Hollow! Hope it stays that way! Also really happy for Bones & Castle. Pretty solid IMO

Comment by Ash – October 1, 2013 08:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • GO BONES! It really benefited from HIMYM and We are Men lineup this week…HIMYM premier/double ep really hurt last week…and next week the end of Pelant woo hoo..and who doesn’t want to see that..tune in folks!!

Comment by amber – October 1, 2013 08:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nice little bump for Bones, less competition always helps and looking forward to the end of the Pelant arc, its gone on for 2 season too long, meaning Pelant not Bones. #GoBones

Comment by Ali – October 1, 2013 08:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think The Blacklist AND Hostages are both great shows!! Yes, the latter has some plot holes, but the tension and acting are great!! Hope more people discover it. Either way, this has gotta hurt Dylan McDermott. Surely I’m not the only one who remembers when his first big series – The Practice – started hemorrhaging viewers, it was none other than The Blacklist’s James Spader who injected life back into the show. Oh, the humanity.

Comment by MrMank – October 1, 2013 08:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m liking both shows and after 2nd episode of hostages I think its actually better made than I thought especially now I’m seeing Dylan McDermott is in the same fix with his family as hes doing to the Dr.s family. Nice twist there. The blacklist I like but I have to admit it seems a little cheesy and not made as well.

Comment by tiffanie – October 1, 2013 09:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I admit I hadn’t planned on watching Hostages but caught a reairing on the weekend. I love Toni Collette and her look into the camera near the end sold me. That made me PVR it last night. I’m certainly interested enough to see where it is going to take us. I like how some of the hostage takers are showing slight softenings toward the kids etc. I’m in! :)

Comment by Kim R – October 1, 2013 12:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hope The Blacklist gets a full season pick up soon but it all depends on how good the procedural drama is going to fare and James Spader.

Comment by Flacco Kaepernick – October 1, 2013 08:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Blacklist and Sleepy Hollow are great new shows and have made my list of keepers. Hostages is ok but its bound to be cancelled and i hate committing to shows that are cancelled. We are Men was a disaster in terms of the show itself. It was horrid. Good to see Castle is steady week on week. There is so much on Mondays. Bones, The Voice, How I Met Your Mother, The Blacklist, Sleepy Hollow and Castle.

Comment by greysfan – October 1, 2013 08:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It was conceived as a “limited series,” which is network speak for mini-series. If it had turned into a massive hit, CBS would have brought it back, somehow, someway. Just like Under the Dome. Hostages ISN’T a hit, so it will end after its 15 ep run. Given the star talent attached, the cost penalty to CBS for not airing all the eps is prohibitive. So, all 15 will air, and their will be a wrap up at the end (they probably shot one definite end, and one that left some window open to come back if it had been warranted).

Now, it may not air on Mondays. There has been lots of chatter that H50 wants to move back its Monday slot. Plus, if Intelligence is any good, they may move it up. So Hostages might move to Fri or Saturday, but every ep will absolutely air.

Comment by Patrick – October 1, 2013 09:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I actually liked hostages more lastnight than the blacklist. The blacklist 2nd episode wasn’t as good to me it felt cheesy. Hostages 2nd episode to me made more since as I started putting pieces together so I hope I get to see a full 15 Also Under the dome has been picked up for 2nd season

Comment by tiffanie – October 1, 2013 10:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Ah, that’s very helpful thanks! If Hostages does only last one season (as it will) I don’t want to be left without answers (though I enjoyed Missing last year a lot, despite the lack of ending so…)

Comment by liz – October 1, 2013 10:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I think you have this correct – Hostages will have to play out their string of 15 ep, but may not be all on Monday – Saturday is calling. In fact, I saw a repeat [encore?] of the series’ premiere last Saturday night, so Saturday might be a good permanent fit for the show around November ‘sweeps’. Either way, the show will have a short life.

Intelligence may have to kick off post Olympics as originally planned, so that CBS doesn’t have to run new episodes from (say), Nov-Jan, then take a month break, and start up again in March. I think they’ll stick to the original plan and hold Intelligence until late February, after the Olympics wraps up.

What to run at 10pm from November through Feb? CBS has a show called ‘Reckless’ that they could run. Perhaps they had planned to run it in January anyway? Maybe slide it up to November. They don’t appear to need that series to be slotted anywhere else in the lineup this season – might as well use it during Nov-Feb [+/-] on Monday at 10pm. I don’t believe CBS will move Five-0 back to Monday. No going back now – that 10pm slot will belong to Intelligence going forward.

Comment by N tTVf – October 1, 2013 11:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Haven’t watched Sleepy Hollow yet but Blacklist is awesome. Haven’t watched Hostages yet either. Don’t really see how the premise can carry on past one season. Mom is funny and I hope it can stick around.

Comment by David – October 1, 2013 08:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I believe that the idea with Hostages is that it’s a one-and-done limited series (or possibly standalone seasons like American Horror Story, on the decreasingly likely chance it gets renewed)

Comment by wordsmith – October 1, 2013 09:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yeah Sleepy Hollow!! Only new show that made it to my DVR.

Comment by BlueBelle – October 1, 2013 09:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is Sleepy Hollow actually good? I watched the first episode and it seemed like it would be a police procedural with a supernatural twist, so I haven’t watched since.

Comment by alistaircrane – October 1, 2013 09:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s a biblical-referenced supernatural X-Files with a twist; the twist being one of the main characters is from the past. Instead of constantly chasing aliens to find the truth they’re chasing demons to find the truth.
      I find it to just be OK. The characters don’t make a lot of sense to me. The man’s wife is dead but still in his dreams because she’s a witch but he seems to have no remorse or sense of loss, he doesn’t understand how modern guns work even though he watched a headless horseman shoot an assault rifle hundreds of times at police, and, apparently he doesn’t want to wear modern clothing. It’s a little too kvetchy for me. :)

Comment by Badpenny – October 1, 2013 10:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • She’s not dead!dead, just sorta dead (a genre staple) and they need to have Ichabod struggle with modern tech, its amusing to the audience and having him adjust too quickly would make it sorta boring. As for the clothing, its just awesome. And he’s been literally torn from everything he knows, wearing his own clothing might be a nice reminder of who he is. And its awesome.

Comment by liz – October 1, 2013 10:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • She’s only mostly dead. :)

Comment by Tenney – October 1, 2013 10:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • “I think its a show you have to take with a grain of salt. Accept the wacky bits just ’cause.”
          -I’m already doing that with Revenge so I don’t have time to waste on another show that does thatl- LOL

Comment by dsm – October 1, 2013 12:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m really enjoying Mom, which is surprising to me as the only reason I watched was Allison Janney. (Love her!) Anna Faris is doing a good job as a sitcom lead.

Comment by Lana – October 1, 2013 09:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Love Allison Janney, will watch anything she does. Same with Bradley Whitford. I hate 1/2 hour shows. But for these two, anything goes.

Comment by Roses C – October 1, 2013 06:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I will watch Bradley Whitford count blades of grass, so Trophy Wife was a no brainer for me. :)

Comment by Lana – October 1, 2013 09:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Patrick, Under the Dome was renewed for a 2nd season…

Comment by Jennifer Mitchell – October 1, 2013 09:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so glad that Sleepy Hollow is doing well. I hope it continues because it’s a really great show. It’s like Grimm meets Supernatural, but even better.

Comment by Mikael – October 1, 2013 09:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • happy about blacklist! it’s the best new fall show I’ve seen so far :)

Comment by Elyse – October 1, 2013 09:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I watched The Blacklist on a whim and was surprised how much I liked it. Spader is awesome.

Comment by KD – October 1, 2013 10:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I absolutely love Blacklist. The premier episode was so good that it drew me back for a 2nd look, last night’s episode was equally as good and I’ve committed to the season. Typically I don’t like shows where the villian makes the good guys (and I use that term loosely considering I am talking about the government here) look bad, but James Spader is so awesomely good and bad at the same time that it doesn’t matter.

I dvr’d Sleepy Hollow last night so I didn’t yet get to see it, but so far that one has been fantastic also.

Glad to see Blacklist and Sleepy Hollow have stayed strong so far.

Comment by Tenney – October 1, 2013 10:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • For Bones, I did not understand. John Francis Daley is still a regular, recurring or he left the show?

Comment by roderk – October 1, 2013 10:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He’s still on the show

Comment by madbengalsfan85 – October 1, 2013 11:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Blacklist is like watching a heist/spy action movie every week. Its AWESOME. And Sleepy Hollow is just riveting and addictive. Hope they get full seasons (and a renewal)

Comment by liz – October 1, 2013 10:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love The Blacklist and Sleepy Hollow. Completely different from each other, but so entertaining in their own way. For Sleepy Hollow, the humor and the chemistry between the leads are strong selling points. The Blacklist is practically perfect, and JAMES SPADER! If he sat restrained in a chair and read the phone book, it would be entertaining! I hope both stay on for a good long time to come.

Comment by Kay – October 1, 2013 10:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay Bones. :) And hopefully it will be adjusted up.

Comment by Sarah – October 1, 2013 10:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hostages vs Blacklist in the ratings… Blacklist is winning at this point but we’re only two hurdles in so we’ll see how it plays out. Hostages deserves just as much viewership as Blacklist at this point. They’re both well crafted dramas. Here’s hoping that Hostages will hang on long enough to gain the audience it deserves.

Comment by cjeffery7 – October 1, 2013 10:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glad Sleepy Hollow is doing well. Looks like we’ll be saying goodbye to Hostages and We Are Men soon. (That’s okay with me).

Comment by Leah – October 1, 2013 10:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hostages lost me in the premier’s first 15 minutes WAY overdoing it with the cliche background music. The dialogue was cheesy as well. Got deleted from the DVR immediately.

Comment by R.O.B. – October 1, 2013 10:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • CBS needs to shore up this night as quickly as possible because you do not get many second chances in today’s TV landscape. Their best schedule at this time is:

HIMYM
    2BG
    M&M
    Mom
    The Mentalist

2BG is not a tentpole show, but I do think it could serve as a good bridge between HIMYM and M&M. M&M has proven that it could be a self-starter, and although it won’t challenge TBBT or TAAHM in the demos, it should provide better consistency for the hour than 2BG, and it would be a more compatible lead-in for Mom. The Mentalist has also done a pretty decent job in the Sunday 10:00 deathslot, and with the Red John reveal storyline happening this fall, it should make some noise at 10:00 and “prime the pump” for Intelligence’s premiere in February. Also, depending upon the stability of the Thursday line-up, CBS can give Friends with Benefits and Bad Teacher a shot at 8:30 and 9:30 respectively at midseason to see if either of them deserve a shot next season. As for Hostages, it can take over Mentalist’s Sunday 10:00 timeslot for the remainder of its run.

As for 2BG, they need to develope the characters, because the dirty joke schtick is getting old quick. The actress that played Chiandra, the cell phone girl, in last night’s episode was funny as hell, and that is exactly what the show needs. Get rid of Sophie & Oleg, and with the savings on what is probably a pretty large paycheck for Jennifer Coolidge, the show can hire another actress and two young actors and attempt to create more of a Friends/HIMYM vibe for the show.

Comment by ragincajun – October 1, 2013 11:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I can not agree more with your comments regarding Chiandra (Misty Monroe)! I think the Oleg/Sophie story has run its course. But can you imagine what they could do with pairing Chiandra and Sophie as “rivals” of some sort?

If TPTB at CBS don’t find a way to get Chiandra (Misty Monroe) into this show, or find another vehicle for her, they are dropping the ball. After watching the episode twice last night, she added so much to the scenes she was in…and her comedic chemistry with Max (Kat Dennings) was wonderful!

Comment by DaKing O'Holidays – October 1, 2013 01:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree 100% re Chiandra (Misty Monroe)! PLEASE someone get this woman a part or a show of her own. The Chiandra character was hysterical and Misty did a fabulous job. MORE please.

Comment by Hensley Roberts – October 1, 2013 07:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Agree with all three of your comments – the cell phone girl Chiandra was terrific – the best part of last night’s episode, which overall was really weak. The 2 Broke writers need to step up their game – quickly. CBS is depending on this show as a tent-pole, and that may not be possible if the story keeps drifting along here in season 3. I agree, Mike & Molly need to be slotted back into the Monday slot, probably at 9pm (?), which might help Mom at 9:30. 2 Broke would work at 8:30, but I think CBS may want to try out Friends w/Better Lives at that 8:30 slot this winter/spring [might be a better fit with HIMYM].

We’ll see – but 2 Broke really needs to get it going with the storyline. Give Sophie something to do, or move the story in a new direction. The main characters need to develop, and the ‘tight pants/big bust’ schtick is indeed getting really old. I think CBS had considered moving M&M over to Wednesday night 8 pm[?] to open up another night of comedy, but that dream is done – CBS needs to circle the wagons on Monday night, and M&M will need to return (somewhere) into that Monday lineup.

Comment by N tTVf – October 1, 2013 11:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • There isn’t going to be a season-long, week-to-week obsession with ratings is there?

Comment by Luis – October 1, 2013 11:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Does anyone know why Megan Boone is wearing a wig for The Blacklist. It’s a distraction for me. Every time they do a close up I stare at it.

Comment by tp – October 1, 2013 11:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Right??? I was noticing this same thing while watching. Why does she wear a wig? Does she really have short hair or what?

Comment by ninamags – October 1, 2013 01:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • she has short hair. i’d imagine she’s growing it out, but at Comic Con in July it was still pretty short. if the show gets picked up it’ll be season 2 at least before its long enough, unless of course they opt for her character to cut her hair.

Comment by cjeffery7 – October 1, 2013 06:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NBC you have a WINNER with Blacklist. I was hooked with episode 1 and last night was a nail biter. I also love Sleepy Hollow and have committed to both shows for the entire season. Monday night is tough for me because you have Bones and Castle which I never miss. So I’m watching, DVRing, and watching some shows on my computer the next day. I must say I usually only watch CBS, Fox, ABC and some other shows on other networks. Rarely did I watch NBC until Blacklist but you hooked me with an outstanding cast, writing and a fantastic plot. Keep them coming.

Comment by Shirley Williams – October 1, 2013 12:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • it’s a real shame no one is watching Hostages, I personally find it far superior to Blacklist, but it would appear i’m in the minority. Hope it stays a float long enough to finish the season.

Comment by James D – October 1, 2013 01:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hostages is really good! Second episode was even better than the first one.

Comment by marin – October 1, 2013 01:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As I posted above, if TPTB at CBS don’t find a way to get Chiandra (Misty Monroe) into Two Broke Girls, or find another vehicle for her, they are dropping the ball. After watching the episode twice last night, she added so much to the scenes she was in…and her comedic chemistry with Max (Kat Dennings) was wonderful!

Comment by DaKing O'Holidays – October 1, 2013 01:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just finished watching the iHeart Music Festival. Adam Lambert destroyed classic Queen for me. WTH were they thinking?

Comment by tp – October 1, 2013 01:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sleepy Hollow and The Blacklist are my favorite new shows so far. And yay to Bones and Castle for their steadiness in the ratings. I can’t think of a thing I watch on CBS anymore.

Comment by Jenna – October 1, 2013 05:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • CBS esp. after this year is dead, dead, dead on Mondays!!!

Comment by DavidSask – October 2, 2013 03:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Speaking of Sleepy Hollow and The Black List, was there a fire sale on the song rights to “Sympathy for the Devil”? Both shows, Sleepy Hollow in the pilot and The Black List 1.2 prominently featured the song.

Comment by Razor1331 – October 2, 2013 07:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My mistake, someone has already made this point. Sad day.

Comment by Razor1331 – October 2, 2013 07:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How can anyone forget TV Castle? That show is also good. Castle should be listed here.

Comment by Batman Fan – October 15, 2013 11:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My mistake, I just saw comments and nobody but two mention about Castle.

Comment by Batman Fan – October 15, 2013 11:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • THIS IS AN OLD STORY.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – October 15, 2013 11:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ridiculous show following various others in having a tough female lead . turns it into a spoof , pathetic to think it is anywhere near believable. a 9 st wet through female beating on 16 st men . a joke

Comment by mark delaney – November 29, 2013 02:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post