Fall TV Preview

Arrow Season 2: 'Lost' Oliver Found, The Flash as Fanboy, 'Olicity' Chemistry and 3 More Teasers

Arrow Season 2 Spoilers

Grant Gustin and Stephen Amell (Photo c/o Amell’s Twitter @amellywood)

When The Flash’s alter ego Barry Allen makes his entrance on Arrow this season, he’ll make fast friends with the vigilante’s crew.

“He has a very easy relationship with Felicity, because Barry’s a forensic scientist,” executive producer Andrew Kreisberg revealed during TVLine’s visit to the CW hit’s Vancouver set. “He’s young and a little socially awkward, like she is. So there’s a lot of fun with that.”

PHOTOS | Fall TV Spoiler Spectacular: Exclusive Scoop on Arrow, Plus 44 Other Returning Faves

Played by Glee‘s Grant Gustin, Barry is also a bit of a fanboy when it comes to the hooded crimefighter, despite the fact he’s a very “different character from Oliver.”

“He comes to Starling City, and he says to [Felicity], ‘I heard the vigilante saved you. What’s he like?’” previews Kreisberg. Being in the hero’s orbit is “definitely going to have an impact… because he’s seen that it’s possible to put on a mask and change the world.”

“For Barry, it’s one of those things where it’s like, ‘Be careful what you wish for,” adds Kreisberg. “In the [DC] comics themselves, Barry was a fan. If you look at Justice League, you have Superman and Aquaman and Wonder Woman…. Then you’ve got Barry Allen, who’s just a guy.”

It’s that Everyman quality that “appeals so much to [exec producer] Greg [Berlanti], [DC Comics CCO/writer] Geoff [Johns] and me,” Kreisberg says, “and it’s also why it’s a really good fit in the world of Arrow. While we’re introducing fantastical concepts to things, we also want to try to keep the show grounded and as realistic as possible.”Arrow Season 2 Spoilers

Read on for five more teasers about Oliver and Felicity’s potential, Summer Glau’s arrival and more.

♦ The premiere finds Felicity and Diggle traveling to Lian Yu to find an MIA Oliver. Upon their arrival, “They’re completely astounded and overwhelmed with the fact that Oliver spent five years there and decided to go back,” previews Emily Bett Rickards. “What kind of psychological state are you in that you go back to the worst time of your life where you became this killer? We end up trying to get a ‘lost ‘Oliver found.”

♦ Things are shifting a bit between everyone’s favorite tech gal and billionaire. “I definitely think that Oliver is changing his idea of who Felicity is and what she is capable of, because she’s proving herself over and over again,” says Stephen Amell. Adds Rickards: “We go to the island to save him. And yes, that’s, ‘I’m here for you. We’re you’re friends. You’re not alone,’ but it just has to be so much more than that. Because there is chemistry between them.”

♦ Don’t call Summer Glau’s character, Isabel Rochev, a “villain.” The businesswoman is more of an adversary, one who has a poor opinion of party boy Ollie and “is not interested in working with him at all to save Queen Consolidated,” says Amell. “That dynamic is interesting because I am a lot more intelligent than I necessarily let on as Oliver.”

♦ Thea may be “better off than most at the beginning of the season,” managing the Verdant night club, but her relationships with Roy and Moira will continue to be “roller coaster rides,” says Willa Holland. Meanwhile, her boyfriend will earn the ire of her brother, who is “dismayed to discover that Roy Harper is hellbent on being his ally, whether he wants him to be or not,” previews Kreisberg.

♦ All in all as Season 2 unfolds, there’s “a lot of betrayal amongst people, and things that aren’t what they seem,” Kreisberg teases.

Stayed tuned to TVLine for more scoop from the Arrow set, as its Oct. 9 premiere nears.

Comments (63)

• Well, Barry is the original comic book fanboy. He was a huge fan of the Jay Garrick Flash comic books before he became a super hero himself. Very meta.

Comment by Michael Sacal – October 1, 2013 06:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Barry is a lame and boring character. They should have gone with the more popular, longer-running Wally West.

Comment by alistaircrane – October 1, 2013 07:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Not necessarily. The previous Flash series was not entirely boring and bad.

Comment by Michael Sacal – October 1, 2013 07:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • yeah lets skip past the mentor and go straight to the student behind the mask, nobody would have a problem if we skipped bruce wayne and went straight to dick grayson would they? wally is who he is because of who barry is, you cant skip barry just because wally was in one little animated show over 10 years ago. barry is the more important of the flashes and he should definitely come first.

Comment by Alan – October 1, 2013 12:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Except Bruce Wayne is a compelling character. Barry Allen is not and never has been. And yeah you can skip Barry. Easily. This show has made a habit of reinventing the characters and setting to fit its formula (for better or worse). And that one animated show you’re talking about was damned good and it was all Wally with not even a trace of Barry’s boring existence anywhere. So yeah, you can make Wally the first flash easily enough and have him learn things on his own. Screw the “mentor”. The mentor was lame 60 years ago and he’s lame now. The only way he won’t be is if they make this Barry different and somehow more interesting– a concept not hard to imagine considering this show’s reputation. Then again, it’s always hit and miss. Some characters are made in an amazing light (Slade, Oliver, Merlin, Sarah) and others fail horribly (Helena, Laurel, Vertigo…) so who knows?

Comment by gamewrex – November 20, 2013 10:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t wait to see interaction between isabel and felicity, two smart business women (in dc world, felicity is known for her business sense) butting head, one against him, one trying to save him, Epic!

I’m sorry oliver, just sit in the corner and be a good boy, okay

Comment by andrea – October 1, 2013 06:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I totally agree with this! It’s going to be a fascinating dynamic on the show.

Comment by GildedRose – October 1, 2013 10:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Felicity in the comics was barely a character. She’s not even a business woman in Arrow. She’s an IT specialist (a damn good one). I honestly prefer this Felicity.

Comment by gamewrex – November 20, 2013 10:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Except for the Flash stuff, I’m really looking forward to this season.

Comment by liz – October 1, 2013 07:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t wait anymore! They have great chemistry (shirtless oliver on top of felicity, they almost killed the entire fandom with their chemistry) and they also have a really great relationship and story

Just give me arrow now, I need my olicity!!!!

Comment by Jane – October 1, 2013 07:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Diggle and Felicity as well as the actors have so much natural chemistry without even resorting to such joke scenes, but guess they have to go with a white couple even if it has less chemistry. Oliver/Felicity have become such a joke, so forced, such a shame they used to be something good when they were written organically, and that only lasted about 3 episodes.

Comment by clover – October 1, 2013 07:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • LOL are you insane??? Diggle and Felicity have ZERO chemistry. Felicity and Oliver, on the other hand,have off-the-charts chemistry like Daryl and Carol on the Walking Dead. They need to be together.

Comment by alistaircrane – October 1, 2013 07:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Olicity always have funny jokes on their scene since last season, if you don’t like their jokes, you don’t like them since the beginning
        the best thing about them is they can do funny and deep (meaningful) scene, it’s not just about chemistry, it’s their story

Comment by liz – October 1, 2013 08:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • other actors have natural chemistry, like oliver and laurel? they have so much drama and zero jokes, amazing couple! so amazing that so many people ship them…..oh wait..ooops I think I just make a joke

there’s an army of people who love oliver and felicity and laughing at you right now

Comment by jane – October 1, 2013 08:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Why do you have to bring Oliver and Laurel into this, like is that your only comeback, I don’t even like them either even they haven’t reached the lowest of levels that is olicity fan pandered writing and fanfics. You cant take it that anyone else wouldnt be ga ga over your precious Oliver/Felicity. Im more of a Felicity fan and definitely enjoy and love her with other characters, you know the people she actually has real, natural l chemistry with, not being forced and changed into some pathetic valley girl for a guy she doesnt even have romantic chemistry with. Dumb popular things are usually loved by many dumb people all the time, Im glad to be not in that “army”.

Comment by clover – October 1, 2013 10:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I think chemistry is subjective to a certain extent, but obviously it’s almost common knowledge that Oliver and Laurel barely have any chemistry. They’re supposed to be this show’s main couple but instead all you see is people rooting for Oliver and Felicity. I guess that says a lot on chemistry and which pairing really has it on this show. And maybe the fact that Laurel and Oliver have no jokes or light moments is one of the reasons why they suck so much as a couple.

Comment by Jane – October 1, 2013 03:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • THIS. Diggle and Felicity have insane chemistry. It’s very subtle but it really shines through in their scenes. Oliver and Felicity have chemistry too but it’s very much more platonic. I don’t like the way some fans are so up in arms about it. Oliver loves Laurel and they need to develop her character more because Katie Cassidy is actually a great actress. They’ve just written her badly and that is an injustice to the character, the relationship and the fans of both the pairing and the original comic.

Comment by Ella – October 1, 2013 10:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So they’re pretty much neglecting Laurel so they can sex up Felicity and completely transform her from what we loved about her last season? – they have Laurel some terrible writing, she’s his major love interest she needs a bigger role.

Comment by Cherry – October 1, 2013 07:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I really hope her Black Canary origin story is given decent screentime. Katie Cassidy is such a talented actress.

Comment by dude – October 1, 2013 07:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She is a lame character played by a lame actress. The show would be better off without this character. They should replace her with Mia Dearden, the second Speedy, who is HIV+ and a former prostitute. She was a cool character.

Comment by alistaircrane – October 1, 2013 07:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Thea is based on Mia. Her middle name is Dearden.

Comment by Drew – October 1, 2013 08:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree, they don’t need to ‘sex up’ Felicity. The reason the fans love her so much is because she ISN’T that.

Comment by liz – October 1, 2013 07:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Her clothes and hair is not the reason why we love her, it’s her character,, Unlike some character who seems the only interesting about her is her hair,,

Based from new promo, she still the same felicity, she just wear more sophisticated clothes, understandable because she’s now working beside ceo of QI. Just look at oliver and diggle, they have to wear suit for work, you know they prefer shirtless

Comment by liz – October 1, 2013 08:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Oh that’s a good point! She *is* working next to the CEO, so she should look the part. Especially if their professional relationship moves more public. An excellent reason for the wardrobe update.

Comment by liz – October 1, 2013 10:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thats the prize you pay for wanting too much Felicity than necessary, enjoy the season lol.

Comment by Rosen – October 1, 2013 08:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • thank you! with olicity, team arrow, thea/roy, slade/shado, the incredible summer glau, flash and laurel who stupid enough to want capture the hood because he’s ‘bad and dangerous’ (I’m going to laugh so hard watching her eating her own words) , we sure will enjoy next season. I hope you too

Comment by jane – October 1, 2013 08:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I hope you enjoy a lot seeing Oliver in love with Laurel too.
          Good Luck on hating her so much.

Comment by Emma – October 1, 2013 09:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • nice try mentioning the other stuff to get some brownie points, everything is after all better than the joke that is “olicity”.

Comment by Rosen – October 1, 2013 10:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • One on the best parts of Arrow is the closeness of Team Arrow and the dynamic between Oliver, Diggle and Felicity. They’re a unit and I like how Felicity is proving herself to be a worthy part of that team, even without the braun.
    And in an amazing case of irony, Thea is now the mature, well adjusted Queen family member. I look forward to seeing what they do with Speedy this season.

Comment by Michelle – October 1, 2013 07:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They should choose between Olicity and Lauriver. It’s weird seeing the producers talking how much Oliver loves Laurel and teasing Olicity everywhere. I am a little confused with this.

Comment by Emma – October 1, 2013 07:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • its called ship teasing, and if the show didnt do it then they would lose the crazy shipper section of the fanbase to another show that will pander to them and a show needs ratings to survive.

Comment by Alan – October 1, 2013 12:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yeah true enough. I love Felicity and Oliver in the same room. They actually have banter and chemistry and it’s fun to watch. As much as I know Laurel is Oliver’s main romantic interesting and the woman he’ll end up with, I can’t help feeling dissatisfied because this show just butchered Laurel so much… She’s so unlikable and angsty all the time and her and Oliver don’t ever seem to really mesh. There’s just too much water under the bridge and no real understanding of WHY these two even care for each other. So they were together when they were kids… So what? Back then, the acted like a couple of regular teenagers. But as adults, they just don’t click and don’t have anything with each other that explains the lingering feelings or what they see in each other. They never seem to compliment each other and never have moments together where their back and forth could be fun. It’s just Laurel endlessly crying or bitching about this or that every episode. Oliver’s already angsty enough and just like with Helena, Laurel’s compounded weight just drags the mood down all the time.

I think that’s why people like Felicity. There’s a reminder there that love can be fun and that two people can care for each other without every scene being miserable. On top of that, Felicity actually has a likable personality and compliments Oliver well. But yeah, even I know that despite the chemistry and fun, it’s a pipedream. Even if Oliver gets with her, something will happen and it won’t last because “lawl Olivr b’longs wit Laurel derp”. Which is probably why this show is adding Barry into the mix. He’s someone that’ll steal Felicity away and he just so happens to be another nerd… Just feels like a cop-out though, like they can’t envision their star protagonist billionaire with a smart IT girl so they gotta pair the nerds together to be safe. Hope I’m wrong.

Comment by gamewrex – November 20, 2013 10:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • am i the only can’t stand laurell and hope to see oliver and felicty together as a couple?!

Comment by gio88 – October 1, 2013 07:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You are not the only one!

Comment by alistaircrane – October 1, 2013 07:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No you’re not. In fact, I’d wager you’re the majority. Because Laurel is a terrible character in this show and nothing like her awesome comic personality. If Laurel was actually a likable character, I could get behind the Oliver x Laurel train but she’s so hypocritical and self-absorbed and stupid and dramatic and constantly constantly CONSTANTLY CRYING. She makes me want to put a bullet in my head every scene she’s in.

Comment by gamewrex – November 20, 2013 10:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The only thing I don’t care about is Roy, everything else I’m super excited about.

Comment by courts – October 1, 2013 07:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I used to not care about Roy and then I watched alll of Teen Wolf over the summer and saw how that kid can actually act, and now I’m looking forward to them doing something awesome with the character to take advantage of that.

Comment by liz – October 1, 2013 07:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great scoop about season 2. I can’t wait to watch the season premiere next week.

Comment by Joey – October 1, 2013 07:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This would be funny that Barry has a crush on Felicity who has a crush on Oliver who has a crush on laurel …

Comment by roderk – October 1, 2013 07:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please let there be a slow burn for Olicity. I don’t want them to screw it up!

Comment by Michelle – October 1, 2013 07:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally. I love the teases that come with the episodes…the right amount of hint of something being there!!

Comment by Raksha – October 1, 2013 12:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was hoping for more info about the flashbacks and Slade Wilson. He’s one of my favorite characters and I’m always on tethers about his inevitable fate!

Comment by magreeda – October 1, 2013 08:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t wait for season two I’m excited for Summer Glau i want to see Isobel putting everyone in they’re place. Although Grant wasn’t my first choice for flash I’ll give him a shot although he seems more like a Clark Kent S1 meaning he looks too young I’d understand if it was the flash in HS but it isn’t. I also can’t wait for the Olicity dynamic in season 2 I also want a slow burn for them because I just love them so much I want all small moments for them now.

Comment by G – October 1, 2013 08:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d love to see Jacqueline MacInness Wood return as back-from-the-dead Sarah. There was more chemistry between Oliver & Sarah than between Oliver & Laurel IMHO.

Comment by Evie – October 1, 2013 08:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s because Oliver and Laurel have no chemistry. I have never the two of them even smile in each other’s presence. They don’t seem to work together, they don’t ever seem to have fun, they don’t mesh with each other’s thought processes or exchange in banter. All they have is attraction, and an ocean’s worth of water under the bridge. Every scene has one or both of them miserable. They’re always avoiding each other. Laurel is too self-absorbed to even think about what he could be feelings or thinking about and too wrapped in her own problems. There’s love-hate. There’s tit-for-tat. There’s will-they/won’t-they. And then there’s just this– bland, fruitless, joy-less mediocrity.

Comment by gamewrex – November 20, 2013 10:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve been worried about how much Olicity has been teased. Make me think that the producers are going a bit over the top and in the end it won’t happen. :-/ Like they’re just doing it to draw fans in since Felicity is an extremely popular character more so than Laurel. (Please contradict me someone :P )

P.S. In the official Arrow FB page there are bios now and Felicity’s teases about a mysterious past, and that her crush will complicate things on Team Arrow. Another thing to get me excited for Season 2 but worried about a possible future for Olicity.

Comment by Georgia D – October 1, 2013 08:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Exactly. It’s sort of terrifying but exciting, too. But I, too, am scared that since they are vaguely teasing it so much, that it wont happen at all.

Comment by Josephine – October 1, 2013 12:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love this show so much. Superheroes, drama, comedy, awesome fight scenes, smart women and hot, sweaty men? Yes please. P.S. I’m 100% on board with shirtless Oliver (obviously), but let’s work some shirtless Diggle in there, too. That guy is crazy hot.

Comment by Sarah – October 1, 2013 09:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Season 2 of Arrow looks really good. Like what I’ve heard so far and I can’t wait for the premiere. Also, I like that we’ll see Oliver and Felicity relationship develop (love them together, thanks to Stephen/Emily amazing chemistry lol) and excited to see Oliver’s journey.

Comment by babhee – October 1, 2013 09:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Such terrible casting this season. That glee punk as the flash is just horrible. It makes me feel sick just thinking about it.

Comment by CBWBDK1 – October 1, 2013 10:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • … it’s… interesting. I’m gonna give it a chance. I have a feeling I’m not gonna like him but I really want to be wrong and hope my bias’s won’t get in the way.

Comment by gamewrex – November 20, 2013 10:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m ready for Arrow’s second season. It sounds like it’s going to be amazing! Lots of drama on all fronts now, not just the vigilante quest, but in Oliver’s personal life with Queen Consolidated. I’m doubly excited that Felicity Smoak is now part of the regular cast. I can’t wait to see what her history and backstory is. The execs teased secrets in her past when season 1 ended. What are they?! And I am totally loving Oliver and Felicity’s relationship. I think there’s much to be done before a full blown romance can happen between them but it’s going to be a lot of fun watching them get there. The best part of the show is, undoubtedly, Oliver/Felicity/Diggle working together as “Team Arrow.” I love that!

Now bring on the stunts, action sequences, and those gratuitous shirtless exercise routines with Oliver! ;)

Comment by GildedRose – October 1, 2013 10:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love all the Felicity and Oliver scoop! Love them. :)

Comment by Autumn – October 1, 2013 10:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Felicity and Team Arrow. Can’t wait for the season premiere.

Comment by Hodan – October 1, 2013 02:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “While we’re introducing fantastical concepts to things”

This could kill the show’s essence, which is: it’s grounded, but since they want more oney the spin-off will taint the nature of the show, ugh.

YAY for Oliver and Felicity! They’re wha works for the show, so I hope the writers are brave enough to go with them, just like they changed other things from the Comics

Comment by Jane – October 1, 2013 03:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • yeah they should totally be ashamed of the fact that they come from comics instead like the nolan batman movies. why bother doing something comic book related if you cant even be proud of the fact that you are doing it?

Comment by Alan – October 2, 2013 07:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The show is awesome but not because of relationships it’s sweet just because it’s green arrow and adding flash to the show is just awesome. Besides you know Oliver will end up with laurel because she is black canary.

Comment by Sora5260 – October 1, 2013 07:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah we know. But we hope so much to be wrong. Because god she’s terrible. There’s a reason like the IT girl. She was the first woman on this show (aside from Oliver’s mother) that was actually respectable… Certainly the first woman Oliver met that worked well with his personality and wasn’t some over-dramatic, angsty mess.

As much as I love and root for Felicity and Oliver, it should tell you what’s wrong with this show when the pairing that’s SUPPOSED to happen isn’t received well and the majority are hoping for a quirky side character to step up to the plate and take her place. It says your main female love interest is weak. I don’t even think the producers predicted how well Felicity would be received. I don’t think it was in their wildest dreams that the woman we’re supposed to root for is the one we all cringe at the most and hope disappears.

Honestly, I’d take Felicity or Sarah over Laurel or Helena any day. I might as well wish for a pony though so long as we’re talking about unlikely things…

Comment by gamewrex – November 20, 2013 10:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They can have all the betrayals they like as long as the Big Three (Ollie, Felicity and Digg) got each other’s backs. As for chemistry – Digg and Felicity have chemistry it’s just more like Abby and Ichabod on Sleepy Hollow – friends/big bro to lil sis type chemistry. Ollie and Felicity are more of the romance variety. Plus, doesn’t Digg have a girlfriend now or is that over? If so, you might wanna see if Digg and Annie Ilonzeh’s character have some chem and work with that….

Comment by sladewilson – October 2, 2013 11:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Reblogged this on Diary of a Law Student.

Comment by Pasan Weerasinghe – October 5, 2013 01:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • wait.. are they bring the flash on so he can get a spin off? (also super excited for olicity, just had to add that in)

Comment by bekkah – October 6, 2013 08:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hate Oliver and Felicity. They should be friends. Not couple.

Comment by Agatha – October 10, 2013 02:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love this show it’s so awsome. I would love to see Oliver with felicity together .
    They are meant to be together.

Comment by lizette – October 30, 2013 09:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post