Ratings: Breaking Bad Goes Out With a Bang

Breaking Bad Finale Ratings[Spoiler] did not die in vain.

Breaking Bad ended its five-season run on a very high note Sunday, drawing series best numbers in all categories, including total viewers (10.3 million) and young adults (6.7 million age 18-49).

RELATED | Breaking Bad Finale Recap: ‘Just Get Me Home, I’ll Do the Rest’

That shatters the show’s previous record (set with last week’s penultimate episode) of 6.6 million total viewers and 4.3 mil in 18-49.

On the social front, the AMC juggernaut’s endgame generated 1.24 million Tweets during the EST and PST telecasts.

RELATED | Fall TV: Your Handy Calendar of 100+ Season and Series Premiere Dates

Surprisingly, Homeland more than held its own opposite the Bad steamroller. Per Showtime, the drama kicked off Season 3 with 1.9 million viewers — its most-watched opener yet. The debut of Masters of Sex, meanwhile, notched a solid 1 million viewers. It ties Homeland as the cabler’s best series launch to date, behind this summer’s Ray Donovan premiere (1.35 million).

1. C says:

Wow, that’s awesome. Well-deserved. Thank you Netflix! I know I owe you my BB viewership.

• M3rc Nate says:

It BLOWS MY MIND that there arent any articles or any statistics or surveys about Netflix Instant doing that for us. I am the same as you, i started watching Breaking Bad all because of Netflix Instant and since then watched season 5 live. I watched all of BSG and ended up buying the Bluray Box set (so thats $ in the bank for BSG/Studio/etc)…i started watching Doctor Who on Netflix and now am a HUGE Whovian who watches live, wants to cosplay, buys the toys (Sonic Screwdriver, etc) There are other shows like Longmire, The League, Torchwood, Archer, The Glades, Louie, Parks & Rec, Sherlock, Vampire Diaries, and so many more, that I started watching on Netflix Instant Streaming and loved and switched over to watching Live/DVR, or buying the DVDs/Blurays. Also these shows have had actors that I am such a new fan of that i follow them to their new projects.

So how is that not being talked about? I think the biggest impact in Doctor Who fandom/viewership in the U.S. is because of Netflix Instant. Along with many many other shows…Its a huge win win for everyone involved, Netflix gets you to stream and watch their shows, and the shows get a new live TV/DVR viewer and fan who keeps the buzz going.

I just dont get how there isnt an article titled “How Netflix Instant Streaming is growing TV viewership”. I think the best thing you can do for your show if you are wanting more viewers is to give away the first season for free on iTunes or to put up the first season (at least) on Netflix Instant. Teaser trailers and random reruns arent going to capture people like getting a full season for free or up on Netflix and watching it and really liking it so you want more, so you buy/rent the rest of the seasons then add it to your Season Pass list to DVR it or watch it live.

• Mary says:

Vince Gilligan recently said if it wasn’t for Netflix, Breaking Bad would have ended after 2 seasons. Thank god for Nerflix!

• JBC says:

I watched the first 4 seasons of Breaking Bad on Netflix too. I watched the first episodes of S5 on demand, and live for the last half of S5. Vince Gilligan, thanked Netflix as well when receiving the emmy for Best Drama Series.. I read an article on Variety by AJ Marchal. He said that more shows should consider Netflix their friends, not competitors. I agree. I am very thankful I was able to catch Breaking Bad on Netflix as I think it is one of the best written and best acted shows on television.
      I will miss it, but sure glad I didn’t miss out on this excellent show.

2. Valerie Tower says:

And it deserved it. What a FABULOUS ending. RIP BB. I sure will miss you.

3. Hell Yeah! Greatest Finale Of All TIme.

4. Dean says:

I hope someone forwarded a copy of the finale to the producers of Dexter to show them how a great series finale is done.

5. Mr. White says:

Absolutely incredible!!! Well deserved too!!! Congrats to everyone who made Breaking Bad the best show on TV!!!

6. Ron says:

It is completely deserving of those numbers, too. That rivals many network ratings, which is actually a pretty big feat. I thought the ratings would top out around the 7 million mark, which would have still been great. But to surpass the 10 million is astounding, and I’m so glad that the show was able to go out on the highest and most successful note possible, which is rare for any series to do. A heartfelt thanks to Vince for bringing us one of the greatest shows to ever grace a TV screen. While the show will be dearly missed, I’m truly appreciative for the time we’ve had with it and appreciative that a great show wasn’t driven into the ground through constant renewals.

7. Lost In Time says:

Don’t you mean EDT and PDT?

8. Reblogged this on save it for the commercial break and commented:
    not surprised!

9. Lysh says:

How did Once do?

10. Eric says:

I also starting watching on Netflix, and watched all seasons over the summer to catch up in time for the ending. One of the best tv shows of all time, and I wouldnt have watched it if it wasn’t for Netflix. My new favorite on Netflix is Scandal, which I just finished catching up on for Season 3 which starts next Sunday

11. what! says:

Wow, Homeland!

12. Remember when Aaron Paul was a contestant on The Price is Right when Bob Barker was the host back then? Better check it out on YouTube. Wonder if he’s going to be on Celebrity Charity Week this coming season on TPIR.

13. Shaun Ed says:

I’m still amazed how this particular show become more popular when it was ending, rather than its popularity declining as seasons progressed. I remember not a lot of people were talking about it during season 3-4, and then suddenly, everyone is talking about it!

14. Joey says:

Glad Breaking Bad’s finale did great in the ratings.

15. DanielleZ says:

Congratulations to Breaking Bad, one of the best series ever. The series finale was fantastic! It was like watching a movie every week. Great acting, writing, directing, cinematography, and on and on. I’m also happy for the Homeland rating. I plan to catch up either tonight or tomorrow. I’ll flip a coin to decide if I watch Homeland or Boardwalk Empire tonight but I think I’m leaning towards Boardwalk Empire.

16. The hipster in me (which I hate) feels kind of annoyed that there’s all these new looky-loos who just got into the show within the past month or so when I’ve been watching since the beginning and getting my friends into the show in classic word of mouth fashion. Moreso when people who are incapable of appreciating what the show is even about are noisily disgruntled and bored by episodes with less gunfire and death. But no show is more deserving of the extra attention than Breaking Bad and this kind of thing comes with the territory. Even Renoir paintings have been viewed by some who would wish they had more boobs in them.

• Kevin H. says:

Yeah, I can relate to your feeling of “I was here first.” I got into BB a tad late myself but I just loved the ride. Such a great show that will be in the TV conversation for a long long time.

• TL says:

Yeah, I hate that in you too.

• Britta Unfiltered says:

I don’t see myself as a hipster, but I feel ya on this issue. I see myself more as a snob. It doesn’t bug me so much that so many people got into it towards the end, but you’re 100% right on people not appreciating what it’s about. I think a lot of people were watching the show for the wrong reasons, because they thought Walt was awesome and loved to watch him commit violence and do horrible things. Way to miss the point of a great show, a-holes. Personally, I also get a little annoyed with people who act like Breaking Bad was the be all and end all of television. Like nothing has ever been as good as it, and nothing will ever be as good as it, and the actors’ careers are basically over because they can’t ever do anything as good as Breaking Bad. What a depressing thing to say about the actors! What a depressing thing to think television has peaked! While I loved Breaking Bad, I have seen many shows in my life I have liked just as much as it, and some I have liked better. It’s all just personal taste. I have high hopes we will see high quality television in the future that will be on equal footing with Breaking Bad. I also think Breaking Bad is disturbingly close to being an overrated show by diehard fans. I know many people who won’t even try the show because they’re so sick of its fans trying to convince everyone it’s the best show that ever existed. People need to calm their crap down.

17. Bruce says:

Hope The Blacklist fills the void left by Breaking Bad. Just hoping…………..:)

18. Britta Unfiltered says:

Did Breaking Bad air against Homeland in some time zones? Where I am, I watched Breaking Bad at 7 PM, and then had a whole hour and 45 minutes to kill before Homeland started. It was murder waiting. But there was no conflict, no choice to make over which show to watch, and which to record. I saw them both live.

19. Reblogged this on thehiltonburnellfiles and commented:
    That right there blew me the hell away. Walter White is may man. Best series finale made since “The Wire”.

20. HDTV says:

Great work! That is the kind of info that should be shared around the internet.
    Shame on the search engines for not positioning this put up higher!
    Come on over and visit my website . Thank you =)