TVLine Mixtape: Your Favorite Songs from HIMYM, Suits, New Girl, Sleepy Hollow and Other Shows

Get More: TVLine Mixtape

Every song’s like gold teeth, Grey Goose, trippin’ in the bathroom, but we don’t care — we’re watching TV in our dreams. And we’ve chosen our favorite tube songs for this latest edition of TVLine Mixtape.

We’ve pulled together a collection of tunes from summer finales (and almost-finales) and fall premieres, complete with artist and album information in case you want to add them to your permanent collection. Spoilers abound, and we chose songs we liked – but we always want to hear your thoughts and suggestions.

So peruse our playlist, and then hit the comments with your favorite TV jams! And remember: You can always submit questions or suggestions about TV music on Twitter @mishasolomontv.

PHOTOS | Fall TV Spoiler Spectacular: Scoop on How I Met Your Mother and 44 Other Returning Faves

Breaking BadSERIES AND EPISODE | Breaking Bad, “Ozymandias”
TITLE | “Take My True Love by the Hand”
ARTIST | The Limeliters
ALBUM | The Limeliters (1960)
WHY IT ROCKED | “Times are getting hard,” The Limeliters sing as Walter White rolls a barrel of money through a Navajo reservation. (And his true love certainly does not want him to take her by the hand.) Still, this song, which strikes a strange and beautiful balance between melancholy and playful, is the perfect companion for Walt’s walk. We’ll find out soon enough if Heisenberg will have to abide by the lyrics “say goodbye to everyone,” or if he’ll somehow escape his crystal catastrophe alive.

The NewsroomSERIES AND EPISODE | The Newsroom, “Election Night, Part 2”
TITLE | “Let My Love Open the Door”
ARTIST | Luminate
ALBUM | The Covers EP (2012)
WHY IT ROCKED | The Christian rock band’s rollicking cover of Pete Townshend’s 1980 hit plays as Sloan and Don kiss and Will finally puts a ring on Mac. The cut’s propulsive percussion ends the turbulent season on a happy, hopeful note.

Ray DonovanSERIES AND EPISODE | Ray Donovan, “Same Exactly”
TITLE | “Rock Steady”
ARTIST | Aretha Franklin
ALBUM | Young, Gifted and Black (1972)
WHY IT ROCKED | Let’s call this show exactly what it is (what it is, what it is, what it is): a throwback crime caper with a dark underbelly. Donovan really found its footing toward the end of its freshman season, and this R&B classic by the Queen of Soul starts the finale off just right — setting the tone for an episode that unabashedly celebrates our hero and his flaws.

How I Met Your MotherSERIES AND EPISODE | How I Met Your Mother, “Coming Back”
TITLE | “Souvenir”
ARTIST | Billy Joel
ALBUM | Streetlife Serenade (1974)
WHY IT ROCKED | Oh, HIMYM — just when we think we’re ready for you to end, you remind us why we love you so much in the first place. The long-running series does just that at the end of its final season premiere, giving us our first taste of Ted and The Mother in a flashforward set a year after Barney and Robin’s wedding. Future Ted and his future bride sit at the same table as a despondent, crossword-scribbling Present Ted, and Billy Joel’s yearning voice sings about every year being a gift — a gift that can make all the difference.

Sleepy HollowSERIES AND EPISODE | Sleepy Hollow, “Pilot”
TITLE | “Sympathy for the Devil”
ARTIST | The Rolling Stones
ALBUM | Beggars Banquet (1968)
WHY IT ROCKED | This new series introduced itself with gleeful insanity, and this classic rock free-for-all kicks off the crazy with a brimstone bang. The song juggles almost as many plot threads as the hit new drama does: Jesus Christ, Anastasia and the Kennedys all get name-dropped. If the show proves as devilishly delicious as the Stones’ hit — well then, Lucifer, you don’t need no restraint.

New GirlSERIES AND EPISODE | New Girl, “All In”
TITLE | “Aquí en Mi Nube (Get Off of My Cloud)”
ARTIST | Sonia
ALBUM | Aquí en Mi Nube / Al Final de la Calle / Concierto para Enamorados / 1, 2, 3 (1966)
WHY IT ROCKED | New Girl‘s third season premiere features this swingin’ Spanish Rolling Stones cover to accompany Nick and Jess’ ill-fated Mexican getaway. Nick and Jess may have left their lovers’ nube to return to their cramped LA cloud, but we have faith they’ll weather Schmidt and Winston’s ongoing interference.

The Mindy ProjectSERIES AND EPISODE | The Mindy Project, “All My Problems Solved Forever…”
TITLE | “Borderline”
ARTIST | The Flaming Lips ft. Stardeath and White Dwarf
ALBUM |Covered, A Revolution in Sound (2009)
WHY IT ROCKED | We can so picture a ’90s teen Mindy discovering Madonna’s original version of this song and thinking she was totally rad for finding the “vintage” hit. This grown-up alt cover of the song may be a little cooler than Mindy herself, but it gorgeously accompanies the lady doc’s graciously thwarted wedding ceremony. Also, you just know that Pastor Casey is a huge Flaming Lips fan…

SuitsSERIES AND EPISODE | Suits, “Stay”
TITLE | “Stay with Me”
ARTIST | NO
ALBUM Don’t Worry, You’ll Be Here Forever EP (2011)
WHY IT ROCKED | Rachel and Mike “were never meant to be apart,” and now they won’t have to be! This song plays as Rachel tells her lawyer love that she has decided to stay with him in New York. We hope that Louis’ dastardly discovery won’t mess up these two lovebirds’ chance to be together.

Comments (18)

• no donna/harvey song? really? like… let her go by passenger?

Comment by Marti Pelczynska (@ladyxmacbeth) – September 28, 2013 04:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • What episode was this song in? I’m listening to it now and it’s not ringing any bells.

Comment by Ashley – September 28, 2013 08:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Strike Back on Cinemax has the best soundtrack EVER, how could you skip it?

Comment by Katt – September 28, 2013 04:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No NCIS at the end? It was haunting.

Comment by Kim R – September 28, 2013 04:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Exactly, Enya’s “If I could be where you are”. Perfect song for that final scene. Since Tuesday I keep listening to it, even if it hurts..

Comment by Gaara – September 28, 2013 05:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mike & Rachel = boring for me. She cries almost as much as Sami on “Days of Our Lives” and Mike always has to be walking on eggshells around her. Enough already. She used to be the bada$$ paralegal with attitude but has been reduced to being the put upon girlfriend with an attitude.

Comment by NoChance – September 28, 2013 04:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah soooo bored with the two of them….bring on Harvey and Scottie!

Comment by Sparky – September 28, 2013 05:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed. Rachel has lost her appeal for me. She used to be strong, professional and good at her job. Now she’s just “the girl” with nothing really to offer. It’s kind of disappointing.

Comment by AymieJoi – September 28, 2013 07:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes! I always feel like fast forwarding their scenes.

Comment by Sara – September 28, 2013 11:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sadly I have to agree. I find myself not really caring about her and I don’t like that. Not a good sign.

Comment by Kim R – September 29, 2013 06:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yo, don’t be hating on Sami Brady

Comment by Walter N. – October 2, 2013 06:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well I love them, but I agree, they need to give her storylines that have nothing to do with Mike.

Comment by Cynthia – October 13, 2013 06:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I still am looking for the song that Harvey’s dad “did”. It was a jazz piece and it played while Harvey was sitting in his office. Best song ever!

Comment by Castle lover – September 28, 2013 09:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This song on Breaking Bad fit the scene perfectly. Love their music direction, remember Wendy’s song?

Comment by Sara – September 28, 2013 11:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • For me, the song on Newsroom fit the end of the episode really well… Kudos on that one to whoever chose it and/or edited the whole thing.

Comment by Delirious – September 29, 2013 07:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so glad Sleepy Hollow made the cut here. The first moment “Sympathy for the Devil” started playing I sat down to watch and didn’t get up again until it played again. This series is so good and has so much potential.

Comment by Tinemi – September 30, 2013 01:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love the song in the Mike/Rachel scene, these two are adorable. Glad you put it here.

Comment by Cynthia – October 13, 2013 06:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hi there! This is kind of off topic but I need some help from an established blog.
    Is it hard to set up your own blog? I’m not very techincal but I
    can figure things out pretty quick. I’m thinking about setting up my own but I’m
    not sure where to start. Do you have any points or suggestions?
    Thanks