Exclusive

Justified Exclusive: Michael Rapaport Joins Season 5 Cast... as the New Big Bad?

Michael Rapaport JustifiedCBS’ loss is FX’s gain.

Michael Rapaport, who was cut from the Eye net’s new fall sitcom The Millers, has rebounded with a major recurring role in Season 5 of Justified, TVLine has learned exclusively.

RELATED | Justified Promotes [Spoiler] to Series Regular

Rapaport will play Dale Crowe, Jr., the sexy and charismatic patriarch of a white-trash Florida crime family. Dale’s an ex-convict who owns a gator farm; he is smart, savvy and ruthless, all in the name of family.

The Crowes will likely draw comparisons to Season 2’s Bennett clan, led by matriarch Mags (played, coincidentally, by Rapaport’s ex-Miller‘s co-star Margo Martindale).

PHOTOS | Fall TV Spoiler Spectacular: Exclusive Pics and Scoops on 45 Returning Favorites

It’s not clear if Dale bears any relation to Boyd’s IQ-challenged chum Dewey Crowe. UPDATE: As one Justified-obsessed TVLine reader points out below, Dewy has previously spoken of having a relative named Dale — case closed!)

Rapaport’s credits include Boston Public, My Name is Earl, Prison Break, and, most recently, Fox’s ill-fated The Mob Doctor.

Justified‘s fifth season is slated to premiere in early 2014.

1. Sam says:

Never once in my life have I thought of Michael Rapaport as “sexy.”

2. AJ says:

These new villains could be quite good, butI really hope this isn’t a rehash of the Bennett’s.

3. Apres Ski says:

. . . maybe if they put some blonde streaks/tips in his hair and you continue to squint with your eyes, he could be sexy. Did I say “maybe”? LOL!!!

4. RaylanGivens says:

How is it not clear? Dewey has spoken of his Uncle Dale before.

5. Nancy says:

He is NOT sexy! They should have hired GERALD MCRANEY! What is wrong with you people?????

6. Sheldon W. says:

According to Elmore Leonard’s novel Raylan, Dale Crowe Jr. and Dewey Crowe are related. It’s been a while since I read it,l but I believe they are cousins…).,

7. Laura says:

In the pilot, when Raylan meets Dewey, he mentions that he sent Dale Crowe Jr. to prison from Belle Glade and Dewey confirms that was his kin.

8. taran63 says:

Any show he’s on, I immediately feel the urge to stop watching.

9. Zach says:

Wigger alert!

• Jeri says:

Don’t you think that using this term is just as insulting as using “the “n” word”? And for Christ’s sake, if he’s a relative of Dewey Crowe calling him a “wigger” is pretty damned stupid.

10. Kate'shomesick says:

I’m sorry…but I think he’s attractive ^^…

11. Sareeta says:

Wow, nasty remarks about his looks.

He’s an actor I’m not super familiar with, but I know I’ve seen him in things.

I would really like to see Michael Cudlitz on Justified.

12. Britta Unfiltered says:

Oh, cool! I like him! I hope this means we get more of Dewey next season and possibly Dickie. I was just rewatching the pilot a couple of weeks ago and I do remember Dewey saying something about Dale being a cousin or kin or something like that. Does kin mean cousin or is it just a general term for a relative? I always thought kin was just the word cousin being slurred into one syllable.
    I do want to give Justified one word of casting advice. The show needs more Deadwood actors! Always more Deadwood actors! I’m still waiting on Brad Dourif, Ian McShane, Garrett Dillahunt, Dayton Callie, Kim Dickens, and most importantly, John Hawkes, who you know would just fit into the show seamlessly. He’s already got the look and the accent down. I think his performance in Winter’s Bone proved that perfectly.

• TinaB says:

Kin, is “southern” for related ;-)

• Myke25 says:

Totally agree with you about the Deadwood actors on Justified, Britta! Several have appeared already.

Jim Beaver
      Sean Bridgers
      Ray McKinnon
      W. Earl Brown
      Brent Sexton
      Peter Jason
      Gerald McRaney
      Stephen Tobolowsky

and there’s probably a few more who I can’t remember right now. If Ian McShane were cast as the big bad for a season, I’d be absolutely giddy! (Now I want to binge watch my Deadwood DVDs!)

• jay Lamm says:

I thought of John Hawkes last year….He would be great. How could anyone play a mountain redneck better than “Teardrop?”

• Jeff says:

Man, how perfectly would Garrett Dillahunt fit into this world? He’s obviously got the intensity/creepy factor to play a heavy, but Raising Hope has shown that he’s VASTLY more talented than just being that kind of guy. He is absolutely hilarious, and it’s kind of a shame he doesn’t get more recognition for how amazing he is on that show.

13. Magically Suspicious says:

Good gravy, this excites me. Love love love him.

14. Dan says:

I really hope it’s not rehashing the Bennett’s and the Crowders… Not sure how they’re going to outdo the end of Season 4 though.. I was sweating! Can’t wait for the premiere!!

15. Sharon says:

So, Justified is adding Dale Crowe Jr. to its lineup of bad guys? With Justified, you just know someone is going to end up as a gator snack. Incidentally, Rappaport was in Basketball Diaries and played the boxer, Kevin, in Woody Allen’s Mighty Aphrodite.

16. Who in the heck can get past Timothy Olyphant or Walton Goggins for the sexy part of the show???? But anyhow, this guy is definitely not sexy!! LOL

17. Jarrad says:

More of Dewey getting punched in the face? Crowes getting the good news AWESOME

18. Dru says:

He was fantastic on The Wire so I’m guessing he’ll be a great addition!

19. TinaB says:

I love Michael Rappaport !! I also LOVE Justified! I think he makes an awesome villian !! Loved him in Prison Break !!

20. Joy says:

What!? I have to wait until 2014? :(

“owns a gator farm” sounds intriguing. Wonder how many bodies are going to “disappear” next season. haha

21. Rain says:

Happy he’s off The Millers and on Justified, I love him but not enough to give The Millers a try! :)

22. Clem Carpenter says:

I’m VERY surprised they haven’t taken Raylan up north to The Original Sin City, Newport, KY, to tangle w/the remnants of the Newport Mafia; BRING RAYLAN TO NEWPORT!

23. Smash Smith says:

He’s not a bad actor, give him a chance.. Also beauty is in the eye and all that, I’m sure plenty of people find him sexy.. Not everyone fancies YOU now do they!!

24. Jim says:

Not too many gators in Kentucky, that I’m aware.

25. SuziM says:

The only one I care to see “disappear” is Winona. Seriously. What ANYONE would see in this woman to love is beyond me. Could be Raylan’s a bit of a masochist. Now THAT would explain it!

• Kat says:

OMG!! That is so on the money. When she said, “And this time, don’t look for me”, I kept thinking, “I agree! Don’t look for her!” Every episode she is on, I want to hit her.

• sallyalley says:

I really hate the way Winona sleeps with Raylan, then pushes him away, then sleeps with him again, then tells him not to look for her. Didnt anyone hear MOST of the viewers yelling “Works for me!”. Lets get back to Raylan being a US Marshal and chasing bad guys instead Winona’s ass. But only when SHE wants of course. The character is getting annoying. And trying to make the audience care about her in Season 4 finale was just over the top.

• Kathy says:

I LOVE the relationship between Raylan and Winona . . . she certainly brings out his softer side. I hope we see more of her this season!

• Lisa says:

Wow how shocking. People hating on a female chacter of a cable drama. Male chapters can literally do anything (cheat,murder, be an a-hole) and the audience will still love them. But if a fake chapters acts anything beyond “perfect” people will go off on her. I am so sick of sexist jerks watching shows I like.

• suzim says:

Winona is two-faced. Ava never claims to be anyone except who she is. Same with Aunt Helen, Mags Bennett, Ellen May, even Lindsay the bartender. Winona “pretends” to be a class act at the same time she’s cheating on her husband, asks Raylan to help her do things that could get him fired, steals a ton of money and, of course, needs Raylan to “fix” it for her. Then she gets pissed off at Raylan when Gary gets murdered like it’s his fault, and storms out of town. She’s WAY more trouble than she’s worth and a lot of viewers are tired of it.

26. Jay Lamm says:

Justified is my favorite show, but i usually turn the channel when Rappaport is on a show. They couldnt have cast an actor that I hate more. Just ruined Season 5 for me.

27. Jay Lamm says:

Can’t wait to hear Rappaport’s Brooklyn accent in the Tennessee Mountains. Show ruined!!

28. Jay Lamm says:

TIMOTHY OLIPHANT WAKE UP. You have made a mistake, recast this role immediately!

29. Jay Lamm says:

Elmore Leonard would not agree with this casting!

30. I think Michael Rapaport is awesome. I loved him on The Mob Doctor and I can’t wait to see him on Justified. I have never watched that show before but, I will if he is going to be on it!