Justified Exclusive: Michael Rapaport Joins Season 5 Cast… as the New Big Bad?

Get More: Casting News, Exclusive

Michael Rapaport JustifiedCBS’ loss is FX’s gain.

Michael Rapaport, who was cut from the Eye net’s new fall sitcom The Millers, has rebounded with a major recurring role in Season 5 of Justified, TVLine has learned exclusively.

RELATED | Justified Promotes [Spoiler] to Series Regular

Rapaport will play Dale Crowe, Jr., the sexy and charismatic patriarch of a white-trash Florida crime family. Dale’s an ex-convict who owns a gator farm; he is smart, savvy and ruthless, all in the name of family.

The Crowes will likely draw comparisons to Season 2′s Bennett clan, led by matriarch Mags (played, coincidentally, by Rapaport’s ex-Miller‘s co-star Margo Martindale).

PHOTOS | Fall TV Spoiler Spectacular: Exclusive Pics and Scoops on 45 Returning Favorites

It’s not clear if Dale bears any relation to Boyd’s IQ-challenged chum Dewey Crowe. UPDATE: As one Justified-obsessed TVLine reader points out below, Dewy has previously spoken of having a relative named Dale — case closed!)

Rapaport’s credits include Boston Public, My Name is Earl, Prison Break, and, most recently, Fox’s ill-fated The Mob Doctor.

Justified‘s fifth season is slated to premiere in early 2014.

Comments (51)

• Never once in my life have I thought of Michael Rapaport as “sexy.”

Comment by Sam – September 28, 2013 09:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I hope it is just the writer of the article referring to him as “sexy” and not the news release. Sheesh! It would be hard to think of anyone LESS sexy.

Comment by Maryann – September 28, 2013 10:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Or charismatic. The guy hasn’t been likable since True Romance.

Comment by Zach – September 28, 2013 01:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That was my exact first thought.

Comment by Ashley – September 28, 2013 03:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ‘”sexy” ewe ! No way

Comment by lorinda – September 28, 2013 07:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’d go for him. He was very sweet as Phoebe’s boyfriend on Friends.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – September 30, 2013 02:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think he’s off the charts sexy. There’s an a$$ for every chair.

Comment by Magically Suspicious – September 30, 2013 07:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s what makes the world go round, there are plenty of people that find him sexy – me being one of them!

Comment by Rain – September 30, 2013 11:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • These new villains could be quite good, butI really hope this isn’t a rehash of the Bennett’s.

Comment by AJ – September 28, 2013 09:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • . . . maybe if they put some blonde streaks/tips in his hair and you continue to squint with your eyes, he could be sexy. Did I say “maybe”? LOL!!!

Comment by Apres Ski – September 28, 2013 09:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How is it not clear? Dewey has spoken of his Uncle Dale before.

Comment by RaylanGivens – September 28, 2013 09:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He is NOT sexy! They should have hired GERALD MCRANEY! What is wrong with you people?????

Comment by Nancy – September 28, 2013 10:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hire him again?

Comment by dysturbed – September 28, 2013 11:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • According to Elmore Leonard’s novel Raylan, Dale Crowe Jr. and Dewey Crowe are related. It’s been a while since I read it,l but I believe they are cousins…).,

Comment by Sheldon W. – September 28, 2013 12:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • In the pilot, when Raylan meets Dewey, he mentions that he sent Dale Crowe Jr. to prison from Belle Glade and Dewey confirms that was his kin.

Comment by Laura – September 28, 2013 12:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Any show he’s on, I immediately feel the urge to stop watching.

Comment by taran63 – September 28, 2013 12:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. Didn’t he get arrested for stalking and beating actress Lily Taylor?

Comment by Jay Lamm – November 10, 2013 08:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wigger alert!

Comment by Zach – September 28, 2013 01:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Don’t you think that using this term is just as insulting as using “the “n” word”? And for Christ’s sake, if he’s a relative of Dewey Crowe calling him a “wigger” is pretty damned stupid.

Comment by Jeri – September 28, 2013 11:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m sorry…but I think he’s attractive ^^…

Comment by Kate'shomesick – September 28, 2013 04:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow, nasty remarks about his looks.

He’s an actor I’m not super familiar with, but I know I’ve seen him in things.

I would really like to see Michael Cudlitz on Justified.

Comment by Sareeta – September 29, 2013 03:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh, cool! I like him! I hope this means we get more of Dewey next season and possibly Dickie. I was just rewatching the pilot a couple of weeks ago and I do remember Dewey saying something about Dale being a cousin or kin or something like that. Does kin mean cousin or is it just a general term for a relative? I always thought kin was just the word cousin being slurred into one syllable.
    I do want to give Justified one word of casting advice. The show needs more Deadwood actors! Always more Deadwood actors! I’m still waiting on Brad Dourif, Ian McShane, Garrett Dillahunt, Dayton Callie, Kim Dickens, and most importantly, John Hawkes, who you know would just fit into the show seamlessly. He’s already got the look and the accent down. I think his performance in Winter’s Bone proved that perfectly.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – September 30, 2013 02:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Kin, is “southern” for related ;-)

Comment by TinaB – September 30, 2013 10:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally agree with you about the Deadwood actors on Justified, Britta! Several have appeared already.

Jim Beaver
      Sean Bridgers
      Ray McKinnon
      W. Earl Brown
      Brent Sexton
      Peter Jason
      Gerald McRaney
      Stephen Tobolowsky

and there’s probably a few more who I can’t remember right now. If Ian McShane were cast as the big bad for a season, I’d be absolutely giddy! (Now I want to binge watch my Deadwood DVDs!)

Comment by Myke25 – October 1, 2013 03:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Back up the truck to McShane’s house and unload the money if you want a season 6! Rappaport will kill the show!

Comment by jay Lamm – November 10, 2013 08:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I thought of John Hawkes last year….He would be great. How could anyone play a mountain redneck better than “Teardrop?”

Comment by jay Lamm – November 10, 2013 08:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Man, how perfectly would Garrett Dillahunt fit into this world? He’s obviously got the intensity/creepy factor to play a heavy, but Raising Hope has shown that he’s VASTLY more talented than just being that kind of guy. He is absolutely hilarious, and it’s kind of a shame he doesn’t get more recognition for how amazing he is on that show.

Comment by Jeff – December 9, 2013 06:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good gravy, this excites me. Love love love him.

Comment by Magically Suspicious – September 30, 2013 07:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really hope it’s not rehashing the Bennett’s and the Crowders… Not sure how they’re going to outdo the end of Season 4 though.. I was sweating! Can’t wait for the premiere!!

Comment by Dan – September 30, 2013 09:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So, Justified is adding Dale Crowe Jr. to its lineup of bad guys? With Justified, you just know someone is going to end up as a gator snack. Incidentally, Rappaport was in Basketball Diaries and played the boxer, Kevin, in Woody Allen’s Mighty Aphrodite.

Comment by Sharon – September 30, 2013 10:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Who in the heck can get past Timothy Olyphant or Walton Goggins for the sexy part of the show???? But anyhow, this guy is definitely not sexy!! LOL

Comment by Kim Jeffrey Hawks – September 30, 2013 10:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • More of Dewey getting punched in the face? Crowes getting the good news AWESOME

Comment by Jarrad – September 30, 2013 10:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He was fantastic on The Wire so I’m guessing he’ll be a great addition!

Comment by Dru – September 30, 2013 10:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Michael Rappaport !! I also LOVE Justified! I think he makes an awesome villian !! Loved him in Prison Break !!

Comment by TinaB – September 30, 2013 10:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What!? I have to wait until 2014? :(

“owns a gator farm” sounds intriguing. Wonder how many bodies are going to “disappear” next season. haha

Comment by Joy – September 30, 2013 11:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Happy he’s off The Millers and on Justified, I love him but not enough to give The Millers a try! :)

Comment by Rain – September 30, 2013 11:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m VERY surprised they haven’t taken Raylan up north to The Original Sin City, Newport, KY, to tangle w/the remnants of the Newport Mafia; BRING RAYLAN TO NEWPORT!

Comment by Clem Carpenter – September 30, 2013 11:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He’s not a bad actor, give him a chance.. Also beauty is in the eye and all that, I’m sure plenty of people find him sexy.. Not everyone fancies YOU now do they!!

Comment by Smash Smith – September 30, 2013 01:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not too many gators in Kentucky, that I’m aware.

Comment by Jim – October 2, 2013 12:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The only one I care to see “disappear” is Winona. Seriously. What ANYONE would see in this woman to love is beyond me. Could be Raylan’s a bit of a masochist. Now THAT would explain it!

Comment by SuziM – October 5, 2013 05:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • OMG!! That is so on the money. When she said, “And this time, don’t look for me”, I kept thinking, “I agree! Don’t look for her!” Every episode she is on, I want to hit her.

Comment by Kat – October 12, 2013 07:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I really hate the way Winona sleeps with Raylan, then pushes him away, then sleeps with him again, then tells him not to look for her. Didnt anyone hear MOST of the viewers yelling “Works for me!”. Lets get back to Raylan being a US Marshal and chasing bad guys instead Winona’s ass. But only when SHE wants of course. The character is getting annoying. And trying to make the audience care about her in Season 4 finale was just over the top.

Comment by sallyalley – December 20, 2013 06:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I LOVE the relationship between Raylan and Winona . . . she certainly brings out his softer side. I hope we see more of her this season!

Comment by Kathy – December 6, 2013 02:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Wow how shocking. People hating on a female chacter of a cable drama. Male chapters can literally do anything (cheat,murder, be an a-hole) and the audience will still love them. But if a fake chapters acts anything beyond “perfect” people will go off on her. I am so sick of sexist jerks watching shows I like.

Comment by Lisa – December 21, 2013 09:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Winona is two-faced. Ava never claims to be anyone except who she is. Same with Aunt Helen, Mags Bennett, Ellen May, even Lindsay the bartender. Winona “pretends” to be a class act at the same time she’s cheating on her husband, asks Raylan to help her do things that could get him fired, steals a ton of money and, of course, needs Raylan to “fix” it for her. Then she gets pissed off at Raylan when Gary gets murdered like it’s his fault, and storms out of town. She’s WAY more trouble than she’s worth and a lot of viewers are tired of it.

Comment by suzim – December 21, 2013 09:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Justified is my favorite show, but i usually turn the channel when Rappaport is on a show. They couldnt have cast an actor that I hate more. Just ruined Season 5 for me.

Comment by Jay Lamm – November 10, 2013 08:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t wait to hear Rappaport’s Brooklyn accent in the Tennessee Mountains. Show ruined!!

Comment by Jay Lamm – November 10, 2013 08:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My thought’s exactly. As a florida native, it drives me up the wall to hear his pathetic fake accent.

Comment by PWizzle – February 5, 2014 07:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • TIMOTHY OLIPHANT WAKE UP. You have made a mistake, recast this role immediately!

Comment by Jay Lamm – November 10, 2013 08:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Elmore Leonard would not agree with this casting!

Comment by Jay Lamm – November 10, 2013 08:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Michael Rapaport is awesome. I loved him on The Mob Doctor and I can’t wait to see him on Justified. I have never watched that show before but, I will if he is going to be on it!

Comment by Darlene Saltzman (@DarleneSaltzman) – December 2, 2013 10:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post