Fall TV Preview

Arrow Exclusive: [Spoiler] Is Back — With a Vengeance? Plus More Season 2 Casting News

Arrow Malcolm Merlyn ReturnsThe saying goes, you can’t keep a good man down. And on The CW’s Arrow, it may be the case that the truly bad dudes are even more resilient.

PHOTOS | Fall TV Spoiler Spectacular: Exclusive Scoop on Arrow and 44 Other Returning Favorites

As speculated at this summer’s San Diego Comic-Con — given the talent RSVP list for the sophomore superhero drama’s panel discussion — John Barrowman is set to reprise his role as Malcolm Merlyn aka The Dark Archer sometime during Season 2, sources tell TVLine.

A spokesperson for The CW would not say in what form Malcolm, who in the finale was last seen having an arrow thrust through his chest by The Hood, will ultimately resurface — in a dream (OK, nightmare) sequence, flashback, as a “ghost” or in the big, bad flesh — but sources tell TVLine the character will appear in at least two episodes.

RELATED | Arrow Casts Glee Villain as The Flash, for Possible Spin-OffArrow_DylanNeal

In other exciting Arrow casting news, ScreenCrush.com is reporting that Dawson’s Creek alum Dylan Neal will appear in at least four episodes as DC Comics’ Dr. Anthony Ivo, a ruthless scientist who will play a part in Oliver’s next batch of island flashbacks.

Arrow lets fly with Season 2 on Wednesday, October 9.

Comments (23)

• Arrow needs a Lex Luthor and that’s the Dark Archer. Never, EVER get rid of the character.

Comment by McVickers – September 27, 2013 05:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m torn about this. On one hand, both “the dark archer” and John Barrowman are perfect as Arrow’s Lex. On the other hand, I’m not sure that the Malcolm Merlyn we saw in season one is. At minimum, it would need to be plotted out incredibly well.

Comment by BenM – September 27, 2013 06:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with you. I think they made a mistake getting rid of him so quickly. the show needs a main villain to counter Arrow, and still use minor villains once in a while, as either stand-alones or working with the main heavy. thats not to say I didn’t really enjoy last seasons finale, which i did, but i ask myself where do they go from here. looking forward to seeing what happens.

Comment by James D – September 27, 2013 09:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I speculated that he hadn’t died and I certainly hope that comes to fruition. Arrow needs an overarching baddie and since they killed off Tommy, it should be Malcolm as the Dark and malevolent one. Eventually Slade Wilson may take up that mantle, but Arrow needs more Barrowman. Make it so.

Comment by PB – September 27, 2013 06:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love to hear that Barrowman will be back in Season 2. I figured if Oliver could survive, Malcolm Merlyn could too so I’d love to see him return to wreck havoc on future seasons.

Comment by Garnet74 – September 27, 2013 06:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • John Barrowman was the most notable reason to watch season one. Please never kill him off.

Comment by JJ – September 27, 2013 06:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This. John Barrowman is awesome. Never ever kill his character off.

Comment by Scott – September 28, 2013 01:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Insert Capt. Jack joke here :)

Comment by Victoria – September 28, 2013 07:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dylan Neal… hope it ends up being more than 4 eps. :)

Comment by Bella – September 27, 2013 06:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Only 2 episodes ?
    Capt. Jack is who got me into Arrow…MORE

Comment by mac – September 27, 2013 06:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope Malcolm Merlyn doesn’t come back as a regular living character. I think he served his purpose. Hopefully he stays dead and the show moves forward.

Comment by A – September 27, 2013 06:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So I guess Amazo is coming to Arrow?

Comment by steven – September 27, 2013 08:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Just what I was going to type. Granted this Amazo will only have Ollie and Slade to steal abilities from but that may be enough.

Comment by Evan – September 28, 2013 02:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dark Archer was a great arc for season 1. The storyline played out really well with the contrast between Malcolm and Tommy… but Tommy is dead. The emotional pull of that story is gone. I know a lot of people like the actor, but I feel like the story had a proper beginning, middle and end. So I hope he isn’t still alive.

Comment by Drew – September 27, 2013 08:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Arrow writers have said they follow a whedon-esque path, meaning one big villain for one season. John Barrowman is a great actor and his portraying of Malcom Merlyn was brilliant. But it’s time to move on to someone else for Oliver Queen and for Arrow.

Comment by Summer Glau admirer (@chrisdvanne) – September 28, 2013 01:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Personally, I don’t see Whedon’s template as flawless.

Many of his one season big bads were terrible, and at the end of the day, only Angelus, Spike and The Mayor were interesting and formidable.

The show could’ve used more surprise returns.

I say, if Malcolm can be apart of a great story, bring him back. The man was a brillian warrior, it’s no surprise he could survive that wound.

Comment by John – November 7, 2013 10:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • More John Barrowman please!!! I so miss Capt. Jack so if I can’t have him I’ll take Meryln. I understand taking a Whedonesque path but I don’t feel his story is truly done. There is much left to explore. He wanted to bulldoze over the Glades in order to rebuild it becuz of what happened to his beloved wife and becuz of what he did he got his son killed who was trying to save the woman he loved. Irony…

Comment by Sunshine – September 28, 2013 08:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yea a Green arrow show always needs a Merlyn but it was a mistake to cast John Barrowman, so miscast. He is nothing like the comic Merlyn which is a bad thing and when he is out of costume he couldn’t even scare a fly.

The man under the costume, must really be a stunt double , coz Barrow man just doesn’t cut it. They should just have let the character die, which they did. As well as the Lance sister, these people have no idea what they want and are doing, do they.

Comment by sethk – September 28, 2013 09:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • you never get rid of john barrowman so this is no surprise.
    doc ivo joining the show must mean they have gotten over their embarrassment at being from a comic book and that they are finally going to dive in with both feet and that can only improve the show.

Comment by Alan – September 28, 2013 12:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope they bring Merlyn back for good. There are so many great ideas that can come with bringing him back. John Barrowman is the reason I watched the first season and the moment he was gone I took the show off my recording schedule. Bringng him back would bring me back with him.

Comment by Ray – September 28, 2013 07:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I liked how Arrow didn’t have any superhero powers or had any other super villains with powers in season 1. It was action-oriented and intelligent stories. I read that this will change in season 2. This is going to turn into another Smallville and what they did near the end with other heroes. Will watch…but, hoping it won’t go too far in that comic book sort of way.

Comment by Buddy Glenn – September 29, 2013 08:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They should have cast Dylan Neal as Oliver’s father. The two actors look so much alike they almost look like the same person at different ages.

Comment by Maryann – September 30, 2013 08:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My impression is that Malcom Merlyn did not survive solely because of resilience. He really would have died if it weren’t for the help of Ra’s Al Ghul and his Lazarus Pit. Makes me wonder though… I do not think Malcom actually works for the League of Assassins, since he has so much freedom to act on his own. What’s his connection with Ra’s and how come he gets to ask so many favors?

Comment by DJ – April 7, 2014 08:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post