Fall TV Preview

Michael J. Fox Previews 'Sexy' TV Reunion With Wife Tracy (And Why Billy Vera Wasn't Invited)

Michael J Fox Show Tracy PollanFlashback to spring 2013, time for Michael J. Fox to cast the wife for his eponymous sitcom comeback. What did you think… he would do at this moment?

Interestingly but not surprisingly, a face from the beloved actor’s past (and present, and future) — wife/Family Ties love interest Tracy Pollan — was briefly considered for the role of The Michael J. Fox Show‘s Annie.

RELATED | Fall TV Preview: Your Guide to All That’s New for 2013-14

Instead, Pollan merely pops up in the second half of tonight’s double-episode premiere (NBC, starting at 9/8c), as a flirty femme who creates an awkward situation for Fox’s (Parkinson’s-afflicted) TV news anchor.

Explaining to TVLine how Pollan wound up as his TV neighbor, Fox says, “It came from when we first talked about whether or not we wanted to do the show together, the whole show together,” with Pollan playing Annie Henry.

Ultimately, such an arrangement was (probably smartly) determined to be too much together time for the longtime marrieds. “We talked about how it would be like being a family on TV and being a family at home… and a family on TV… and never having a break from it,” Fox recalls.

RELATED | Fall TV: Your Handy Calendar of 100+ Season and Series Premiere Dates

After Breaking Bad‘s Betsy Brandt landed the plum role of Annie Henry, The Michael J. Fox Show - Season 1Fox was resolved to keep his Mrs. somewhat in the picture. “I said to Tracy, ‘I really want you to be on the show,’ and she had this idea: ‘What about as a neighbor who flirts with you?’ And I said, ‘Yes! Sexy Neighbor, that’s great!’”

Pollan herself tells us, “It was just so much fun” playing a bit of an unwitting temptress, enticing mild-mannered Mike Henry with her baked goods and such. “It was such a detour from our life together, and a fun, different way to work together.”

Alas for Family Ties fans, three proved to be a crowd when it came to this reunion, so as much fun as it may have been for a certain Billy Vera song to suddenly come on the radio during one of their “reunion” scenes, Fox and Pollan have sorta had their fill of “At This Moment” aka Alex and Ellen’s love song.

“I love Billy Vera as a person and as a musician, and I love that song. But we are so haunted by that song,” Fox explains. Adds Pollan with a laugh: “Yeah, that one follows us around everywhere!”

To Michael, Tracy: Sorry, but I must:

Comments (13)

• We can’t wait to watch this show!

Comment by Susan – September 26, 2013 09:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ugh, what an annoying song.

Have never liked it.

Comment by Dee – September 26, 2013 09:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Global TV in Canada aired the first two eps last night. I cannot believe that Mike gets his old job back, and leaves Annie for the sexy neighbor!
    Oh- spoilers. :P

Comment by Venkman007 – September 26, 2013 09:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It is difficult to not root for MJF in this new show. He is by all accounts a good guy.

People, however, should be prepared for the fact that they are not getting Alex P. Keaton. . .or Mary McFly. . .or even the deputy mayor on Spin City.

They are getting a 53 or so guy who suffers from Parkinsons disease. NBC threw up a ‘Hail Mary’ by scheduling this show. Remember, they originally took it sight unseen and without even a show premise at the time.

It will undoubtedly open to great ratings on the “Micheal J. Fox hook”. it may even perform well on this factor for several weeks.

BUT. . . the halo will go if the show is not so good, or even too weepy.

I hope for MJF’s sake that it works. . .or at least doesn’t tank. The ratings, though, for the first 5-6 weeks may be artificially inflated.

Comment by J.Norman – September 26, 2013 09:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love that video. Thank you!!! I have it saved on an old fuzzy vcr tape. So happy to see it again.

Comment by BonnieW – September 26, 2013 10:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Having seen the first two episodes now (Long Live Canada!), I really liked this show. It’s my favorite new comedy so far.

Comment by Eli – September 26, 2013 10:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope his old Spin City buddies show up. Bring back Richard Kind, Alan Ruck, Barry Bostwick and whomever played Carter and James

Comment by Josh – September 26, 2013 01:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • To totally admit my age, I think this might have been the first love story I totally fell in love with and got totally weepy over. Like that when the song comes on musak, I still have to stop for a moment.

Comment by Kate – September 26, 2013 02:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • As good as the storyline w/MJF & Pollan was, I always preferred Courteney Cox as APK’s love interest (although Daphne Zuniga was awfully good, too…). A great storyline, and young CC was even better looking than young TP!

Comment by ghp – September 26, 2013 03:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved the reference to the song. I have always and will always associate that song with Family Ties.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – September 26, 2013 11:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good show. Better than most of the other new stuff this year. Great to have MJF back.

Comment by madman – September 26, 2013 11:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post