Sherlock's Martin Freeman to Front FX's Fargo

Get More: Casting News

Fargo FX Cast Martin FreemanSherlock star Martin Freeman may soon be pulling double duty.

The actor has landed the lead role in FX’s limited TV series Fargo, our sister site Deadline reports.

RELATED | FX’s The Strain Casts Corey Stoll, Sean Astin, John Hurt, Mia Maestro

The 10-episode project, inspired by Joel and Ethan Cohen’s 1996 film of the same name, will feature a new true crime story and new characters.

Freeman will play Lester Nygaard, a small town insurance salesman henpecked by his wife, whose life is changed when a mysterious stranger (played by Billy Bob Thornton) comes to town. The character is based on William H. Macy’s role in the movie.

FX’s Fargo is penned by Noah Hawley (The Unusuals, My Generation), who also serves as an executive producer with Warren Littlefield, Joel & Ethan Coen, and Geyer Kosinski.

Freeman co-stars as Dr. John Watson on Sherlock, which has yet to receive an official Season 4 renewal (but the pick-up odds looked good at Comic-Con).

Comments (6)

• This surprised me for some reason! But I like Freeman, so I’m sure I’ll check this show out.

Comment by Eric – September 26, 2013 05:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, I like the Coen Bros. I like the film “Fargo.” I like Martin Freeman. And FX generally puts out quality TV. Clearly I’ll be checking this out.

Comment by Ron – September 26, 2013 06:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d rather have more Sherlock…. but ill probs watch this now.

Comment by Rook – September 26, 2013 07:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Since he’s already in the Hobbit movies and in about half of the projects produced in Britain every year, it’s amazing he’ll have time to do another series.

Comment by Martoukian – September 26, 2013 07:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I;m pretty sure Gatiss said something about season 4

Comment by Monse Foster – September 26, 2013 08:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Who’s gonna play the Frances McDormand role?

Comment by vighorois – September 27, 2013 03:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post