Fall TV Preview

How I Met Your Mother Final Season Scoop: Breaking Bad Star Bryan Cranston to Return

How I Met Your Mother Season 9 Bryan CranstonHow I Met Your Mother has tapped a major guest star for Season 9.

Bryan Cranston — whose Breaking Bad wraps its run this Sunday — will reprise his role as Ted’s former boss Hammond Druthers on the CBS comedy’s final season, CBS announced on Wednesday.

PHOTOS | Fall TV Spoiler Spectacular: Exclusive Scoop on How I Met Your Mother and 44 Other Returning Faves

The actor last appeared on HIMYM in Season 2 when Ted worked for the arrogant architect Druthers and then later employed him.

Who else is on your guest star wish list for Season 9?

Comments (26)

• Yay! Bet Cranston would love to do something funny about now.

Comment by J – September 25, 2013 11:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • awesome!!

Comment by erika – September 25, 2013 11:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • During Sunday night’s episode of Breaking Bad, I was thinking about Bryan’s former HIMYM role. I don’t know why, it just randomly popped into my head. As a huge fan of both series, I thought it was cool, but it never once crossed my mind that he would return to Mother during the final season. This is quite exciting indeed.

Comment by Eric – September 25, 2013 11:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How I meth your mother?

Comment by Azerty – September 25, 2013 11:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s weird that he was Ted’s boss, and Bob Odenkirk played Marshall’s boss (not to mention the fact that he played a lawyer).

Comment by Zach – September 25, 2013 11:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hopefully Odenkirk will come back and guest star as well, maybe share some screentime with Cranston and have a little Breaking Bad reunion!

Comment by isee – September 25, 2013 11:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If HIMYM brings back Bryan, will Britney Spears come back too? The rating was up when she appeared and the show did help her come back as normal. Bring her back!!!! Her character was actually funny, too.

Comment by SonnyD – September 25, 2013 11:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I would love it if they brought Britney back. It would be funny to see her still stalking Ted. Speaking of stalkers, I think it would be funny if they brought back crazy Meg, freaking out that Barney’s getting married.

Comment by Mikael – September 26, 2013 10:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just watched a rerun of HIMYM not even 2 hours ago with Cranston in it. He will always be Hal from Malcom in the Middle to me :)

Comment by Tony – September 25, 2013 11:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He was great on Malcolm in the Middle, but he will always be Tim Watley(The dentist that converted to Judaism just for the jokes) from Seinfeld for me.

Comment by P Diddily – September 25, 2013 12:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Thank you!!! i was trying to remember when i saw him first and it was on Seinfeld! I can finally relax!! lol!

Comment by Anastasia – October 10, 2013 06:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would love to see Britney, Rachel Bilson (in a scene from the mother’s college years), Lily’s dad, Alexis Denisof, and Sarah Chalke before it’s all over

Comment by Lisa – September 25, 2013 11:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They’ve said that the final season will feature a lot of familiar faces. Rachel Bilson seems fairly likely due to her connection to the mother. I wouldn’t be surprised if they work Lily’s dad (and other parents) into some flashbacks around the time Robin & Barney’s parents show up.

Sarah Chalke also seems a given as Stella was name dropped in the premier.

Comment by Ashley – September 25, 2013 11:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yeah… And he bought a ticket to LA, where she was said to be living

Comment by Waage – September 25, 2013 11:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • At the end of season 4 they mention that he never saw Stella again. I’m assuming we’ll see Rachel Bilson back and pretty much everyone’s parents. I’d imagine that Marshal and Lilly’s parents would be invited to the wedding.

Comment by Josh – September 25, 2013 12:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Surely if Marshall’s mother was going, she would have gone with him.

Comment by Ashley – September 25, 2013 12:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Britney Spears and Sarah Chalke PLEEEEEEEASE

Comment by Ian – September 25, 2013 12:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh and Lucy Hale!!!

Comment by Ian – September 25, 2013 12:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • HIMYM, while still a traincrash, pathetic excuse of a sitcom and just a general lump of s***, is the most tolerable CBS/multi-cam sitcom out there, so I am glad that Bryan Cranston has chosen the best of the worst to appear on, but still disappointed.

Comment by Eddie – September 25, 2013 01:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bob Odenkirk MUST come back too.

Comment by Kre – September 25, 2013 01:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I totally forgot that was him! I need to go rewatch some episodes… But I agree with the others, bring Britney back! She was so cute, and actually really funny.

Comment by Babybop – September 25, 2013 01:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He’s still Tim Whatley, to me

Comment by Bender – September 25, 2013 02:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Never forget, he was the one who made a penis-shaped building but couldn’t see that’s what it looked like hahahaha

Comment by Anita – September 25, 2013 02:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glad Bryan is coming back to the show. I can’t wait to see how his character comes back and what he’s been up over the past couple of years.

Comment by Joey – September 25, 2013 02:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post