Is Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. the Hero Series That TV Deserves, Or the One It Needs Right Now?

MARVEL'S AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D. Premiere RecapThe Broadcasting Company of America threw its mighty S.H.I.E.L.D. at you on Tuesday night — but was it truly super?

A small-screen follow-up/companion piece to The Avengers, Iron Man 3 and other Marvel-ous movies, Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. resurrects (or did it?) Agent Phil Coulson (again played by Clark Gregg) for the purpose of assembling a team of agents that will investigate extra-normal and superhuman people (but never “mutants,” says 20th Century Fox’s lawyers!) and events worldwide.

RELATED | Ming-Na Wen on Playing S.H.I.E.L.D.’s ‘Bulldog’ and Joining the ‘Really Cool’ Whedon Family

The cast is populated by ER alum Ming-Na Wen as Melinda May, a revered soldier coaxed out of retirement to merely “drive the bus”; Sam Page Brett Dalton as rising star Agent Grant; Elizabeth Henstridge and Iain De Caestecker as the science-and-tech team of “Fitz-Simmons”; and Nashville’s Chloe Bennet playing Skye, a superhero-obsessed hacker who ultimately joins Coulson’s crew.

How I Met Your Mother‘s Cobie Smulders, also hailing from the Avengers film, puts in a decent-enough cameo as Maria Hill, who has a hand in the exposition that Coulson did not only stop breathing for less than a minute before recuperating in “Tahiti.”

RELATED | Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Books Ghost Whisperer‘s David Conrad for Top-Secret Gig

For its premiere Case of the Week, J. August Richards (Angel) guest-starred as Mike Peterson, an ordinary Joe/father who has acquired extraordinary powers. His public display of derring-do catches Skye’s eye at the same time he lands on S.H.I.E.L.D.’s radar. In the wake of The Battle of New York (see The Avengers), Coulson’s directive is to identify other humans with special abilities and bring them in before their powers are used for evil or, as he comes to realize, possibly co-opted by a dark organization known as Rising Tide. In the end, Mike’s condition leads to a callback to the Extremis virus from Iron Man 3.

By and large, the cast is solid, as much as can be determined by some fleeting introductions. But among the newer faces, Bennet definitely “pops” as a sassy cybergenius, while Dalton is, well, best served by action/fight sequences.

It’s Whedon, so the quotables are plenty (plus, I had one screening, two months ago). But here’s just a few that weren’t spoiled to death by a summer’s worth of promos:

“This is a nice set-up you have here. Ever think about adding a moat?”

“I don’t think Thor is technically a god.” “Well, then you haven’t been near his arms.”

“Under ‘People Skills,’ she drew… it looks like a little poop, with knives sticking out of it. That’s bad, right?” Then: “In Espionage, she gave you the highest marks since Romanoff” — Black Widow shout-out!

“I’m not Hermione, I can’t create instant paralysis with that.”

“With great power comes… a ton of weird crap that you are not prepared to deal with.”

Oh, and: flying Lola.

1. Drew says:

It was like a poorly lit fan film about annoying people who really loved their own logo.

• Erika says:

Yes. This. Exactly this. I’m not impressed.

• Rook says:

It was an okay pilot, but for anyone who is a fan of Joss knows that its just starting. So I’m gonna keep watching an encourage others who are considering dropping it to give it a couple of episodes before running.

• Drew says:

I watched every episode of Buffy and was a fan until the last season. I watched Angel long after it got stupid. I loved Firefly, but thought Serenity wasn’t quite up to the TV show’s level. I watched Dollhouse despite the fact that it was possibly among the worst TV shows ever produced. I watched Dr. Horrible and Cabin in the Woods. I sat through The Avengers. I’ve read some of his comics.

I know my Joss Whedon. But the unfortunate truth is that his work has pretty much all sucked since Firefly went off the air. The dialogue in SHIELD worked when he was writing a teenage girl in a horror spoof. It doesn’t work with kick-a$$ secret agents. It sounded like they thought it was really clever, but the characters really just came across as immature and unintelligent. The production value was horrible… hire a lighting department, dudes. It was just a mess.

• Superhero says:

“I watched Dollhouse despite the fact that it was possibly among the worst TV shows ever produced.”

I wasn’t a fan of Dollhouse myself, but that statement is just silly.

• OBloodyHell says:

}}} I wasn’t a fan of Dollhouse myself, but that statement is just silly.

It wasn’t just silly. It was brain dead moronic. If you didn’t like Dollhouse, it’s because you didn’t **understand** it. About episode 8 Whedon showed he REALLY understood the ramifications of what this tech meant, that it wasn’t just a complicated dress-up system for prostitution, but a game changer for humanity along the same line of significance as AGRICULTURE. The show was flat out brilliant within the bounds of its limited time frame and budget.

• Drew says:

Screw that. A season and a half before giving the main character a personality? Having them walk around like children when “blank”? And when they realized that they had no idea what they were doing with the story, they fell back on the old comfortable apocalypse storyline that really had no place on the show.

You might like it and bully for you if you do. But to suggest that I don’t understand the show or I’m stupid for not liking it just shows how completely irrational you are. Which explains why you would like that horrible, horrible series.

• Ty says:

You’re insane and not to be listened to. everything sucked since firefly? Avengers sucked? You have horrible, HORRIBLE taste, and will live a miserable life if you can’t enjoy good things. It is a problem within your own head, to see good things, and taste bile.

• Drew says:

A perfectly rational statement and you totally made the case for Dollhouse. You obviously win this round… but only if it is opposite day.

See what I did there? I made it seem like you won and then turned it around at the last second.

• lisa says:

You clearly weren’t paying any attention to Dollhouse if you hate it. I myself wasn’t a fan of the buffy pilot but that went on to be one of my favorite shows of all time. Not saying that’s what will happen with SHIELD but give it a chance. Keep in mind its a family show on ABC and not a teen horror/comedy on UPN

• vech says:

I agree, I wasn’t impressed with the pilot of buffy but as the show progressed and the need to introduce everybody and manage to tell the story subsided they were able to focus on the characters and come up with good stories for them. I hope this will happen here too. The pilot was OK for a pilot, I usually find them boring because they are in such a hurry to introduce everything and put everything in place they don’t really give us any time with the characters. That’s network television for you.

• obloodyhell says:

I wasn’t impressed with the MOVIE, it seemed like a one-joke story that went on way too long. But in the series format, Whedon did an excellent job of creating good characters and interesting situations, and took the time to manage some pretty interesting plot mechanisms, too — All song, and all silence, not too bad.

• Drew says:

I actually liked the Buffy pilot. Certainly not the high point of the show, but I went into it expecting to hate the show and by the time Darla turned around in vamp face I knew that the show was more than what I was expecting.

SHIELD didn’t have any moments that made me think that they were doing something great. It struck me as… silly. And I am a huge geek, so that is bad! I kept thinking that if this were the 90’s the show would be on Saturday morning.

• Leo says:

Amazing post! It’s just so lame and generic and uninteresting. It will have strong ratings because of the fanboys but if the level stays the same, it should be cancelled.

• Carol Brady says:

Exactly – also why would I watch this when I can watch a real show like NCIS. The people who did this Marvel thing are really stretching, especially if it is in primetime.

2. Cate says:

I’ll cut it some slack since it was the pilot but it was boring and the dialogue was corny.

• Agreed. It was just ALRIGHT (it’s my opinion, don’t attack me.) It was just waaaay too hyped. I guess my expectations were set pretty high. We’ll see how next week goes. Onto Brooklyn Nine-Nine!

• Jerri says:

it’s based off on a Marvel Comic book universe.. why are you expecting the dialogue to be anything but corny? This isn’t Criminal Minds or Lost…

• Gilded Lady says:

My feeling exactly. It was clear they were trying to capture the tone of the Avenger’s movie, but neither the writing nor the cast chemistry wasn’t strong enough to get it there. Maybe it’ll improve, but I didn’t see enough there to give it that second chance.

3. iMember says:

It was pretty much perfect!!!

• will says:

I completely agree! I thought it was phenomenal, especially in the script. Joss is a king at offhand yet realistic comedy. It read to me like a mini movie and I love the setup we got for all of these characters! I always love a good nerd, so getting a tag-team is just awesome, the effects were great though any of the flying through the air stuff could have been done a little better in my opinion. It’s hard to do that sort of stuff sometimes. But that aside I really loved this pilot and will definitely keep following it.

4. iMember says:

Skye is totally Buffy with all of the wit and none of the supernatural, slayer powers. Which is totally cool!

5. Fred says:

How can one even doubt the greatness and talent of Joss and Mutant Enemy productions? C’mon it. Was. Amazeballs!!! Now, I wonder what beloved character they will kill off first? Tuesday nights are exciting again!

• Nick says:

Agreed! The writing was top-notch and the acting was great, how could anyone say it was just okay?

• Wash says:

it was just OK…
        really it was kind of bad. I’m a little shocked how bad it was.

• Eli says:

No it wasn’t bad. It wasn’t perfect (but we’d already been warned about that by those who had seen the screening), but to call it bad is exaggerating a lot.

Also, it’s Whedon, give it time. The only show of his that ever hit it out of the ballpark from episode 1 was Firefly, the others all needed time to find their rythm.

• CBWBDK1 says:

It was really bad whedon fanboy. No need to cry.

• lisa says:

I think calling it really bad is being a Whedon-hater just as much as saying it was really good is being a fanboy. It wasn’t great, it certainly wasn’t “really bad”. It was a pilot for a family show about a superhero world. Give the show a few episodes to establish its ground and then bash it if its not everything you hoped it would be. You can’t judge a whole series off of a pilot

• Wash says:

@Eli and Lisa..It was really bad. IMO. You can’t tell someone they are wrong for how they view entertainment. So grow up. BTW. I’m a huge Joss fan. I started watching Buffy when the second episode premiered and that’s one of the worst Buffy eps ever. How many of you Buffy people started watching all the way back then? And that still doesn’t change how I viewed Sheild.

6. LaurenTVEA (@LaurenTVEA) says:

Thought it was okay…missed some stuff since I was doing something. I’ll have to re-watch it

7. Matt says:

A LITTLE cheesy at times, but tht comes with the hero concept. Overall, it was absolutely awesome. Great writing, great intrigue. Great acting by Ming Na and Clark Gregg too! Will definitely be tuning in next week. Brava!

• Alichat says:

Agreed! I got a cheese factor in the end, after they pop Peterson with the cure bullet. It was the slightly too long montage of them all looking at each other and nodding/smiling. But that was the only moment I said “come on!” I LOVED seeing Ron Glass! And I’m really curious to find out the truth behind Coulson’s death.

8. *lg* says:

SHIELD was good! Definitely had the Whedon feel which I loved. Looking forward to watching more episodes. But Skye is SUPER annoying. What kind of hacker who lives in a van has hair and makeup that perfect?!?!?

9. Mick says:

Gave up 40 minutes in.

10. stevie says:

whoa, that was awesome!

11. Mike R. says:

Overall, I liked it. I didn’t love it like I was hoping too, but there is a chance I will fall in love with it after a few episodes. I liked most of the characters, but was I the only one that didn’t like Agent Ward, he just gave me a bad vibe. Luckily I love all the other characters especially Fitz and Simmons. Plot wise I enjoyed it, it may have been a bit confusing for some, but I kept up. I hope I can love the next episode, but for now it is a solid B.

• the girl says:

I loved Fitz and Simmons! The fact that they are able to play such a cohesive team this early in the show’s run is pretty awesome. I liked the flirtation between Ward and Skye but otherwise I didn’t like Ward at all.

• Alan says:

they really did seem like theyve known each other for years. even from just the ads i could see how well the two actors were working together, really great work from the casting department there.

• luli says:

You weren’t the only one! I didn’t like Agent Ward at all… And my favorite character was Skye, she reminds me of buffy… and she has all this wit going on, I loved it!

12. Eric says:

I thought it was okay, but not quite as good as I was hoping. A little boring. I’ll give it a few more chances, but I really wish that I had chosen to tune in to Brooklyn Nine-Nine at 8:30 instead. That being said, I gave it a B in the poll, simply because the Marvel Universe is awesome.

13. Karen MT says:

I loved it! Though Skye reminded me a LOT of Echo from Dollhouse.. both the speech cadence/lines and her look. Fitz-Simmons is too cute, and i loved the Avengers references sprinkled throughout, including the Stark Industries logo on the city bus.

14. S says:

Sorry, but I just couldn’t get into it at all :( It was boring. I tried I really did…

15. Was entertained, couldn’t ask for more. Was great to see J. August Richards and Ron Glass. Great cast. Remember Whedon’s 6 episode rule.

16. Don’t know if Agents of SHIELD has potential to be one of the breakout hits of the Fall TV season but I guarantee you, this is one series I’m definitely be tuning in every Tuesday night even if going up against NCIS is fair game. BTW, my fave is definitely Jemma Simmons (my new TV girl crush).

17. Miles says:

Awesome start! I found the hour to fly by with me left craving for more. Can’t wait for the next few episodes.

18. Robert says:

Loved it. Cast blends well together. Good connections to the movies. Dialogue was classic Whedon. But was I the only one that had trouble understanding Fitz with his accent

• Alan says:

that was only a light scottish accent, if you couldnt understand him please never go to scotland, you will be in hell unable to understand anyone.

19. dude says:

It was good but not the amazing pilot it was hyped to be. I’ll stick with it, I enjoyed it but wouldn’t rave.

20. Tab says:

Wasn’t really feeling it. I think there was too much hype about it over the summer and it just didn’t grab me. I’ll give it another episode or two before I decide whether to ditch it or keep watching.

• Brigitte says:

Remember this is the Whedonverse. Usually takes a few (more than just 2 or 3) to really develop characters. But well worth the patience!!!!

• Mikael says:

Exactly what I was going to say. Whedon shows build momentum, you just have to give it a chance. People weren’t sure about Buffy when it started, and it got better and better. Same with Angel, and to an extent Dollhouse (once they figured out the direction of the show. And they did a pretty good job squishing about 3 seasons’ worth into half a season so it could wrap up.)

• jbkorn02 says:

The reason Firefly got cancelled so fast was because the Network didn’t give it a chance for people to get to know the characters before just axing it. With what else is on though and the popularity of the Marvel Universe right now I think this one will be here to stay.

21. catalina says:

I so wanted to like this. Maybe I have super hero fatigue. I gave up after about a half hour. It was boring. I’ve seen this all before.

22. RachelA says:

I enjoyed it a lot. It wasn’t perfect, but it definitely made me want to keep watching. And yes it was “corny” at times, but as someone else said, I feel like that has to be something of a given with the superhero genre. Also the thing about Joss Whedon is, no matter what the other story-telling flaws, he always finds a beautiful, human denouement and this was no exception. That scene in the train station between Coulson and Mike was riveting and it alone made the entire episode worthwhile. Can’t wait for next week!

23. K2 says:

It’s really interesting to see everybody’s opinion all over the map. Personally, I LOVED it! Best new show of the season!

• canadian ninja says:

Yeah but I can’t help but feel some were going to love it no matter what and some are kinda trolling with the “gave up halfway” & “boring” comments. I guess with a big premiere more people are going to chime in.

24. Superhero says:

It did what a pilot needs to do, and it did it pretty well. It didn’t do anything beyond that, but there’s plenty of time for it to do what it needs to do to achieve greatness in future episodes. Remember, both Buffy and Angel were far from great in the beginning; neither one of them reached the heights that they would reach until after the first seasons. This is definitely the best Joss Whedon pilot aside from the Firefly one, and that’s enough for now.

25. Kelly says:

LOVED it. Only network drama i will be watching this year.

26. Badpenny says:

It felt a little soft. IE, too goody-goody or moralistic. I understand it’s the 8 PM time slot and they’re expecting a lot of children to watch the show but I felt that it needed to be a bit edgier. It started off edgy then went mushy. I’ll keep watching, though. Most pilots don’t knock me out with their awesomeness. Shows need time to grow into what they will become. :)

27. Jenna says:

Maybe not awesome, but I thought it was entertaining. Will definitely go along for the ride. And it comes with its own adorable ship: FitzSimmons!

28. BGM says:

It had a little bit of that awkward pilot vibe, but the parts that I loved were undoubtedly enough to keep me tuning in. I’m anxious to see what happens if/when they start digging a little deeper.

29. Ali says:

Boring. I wish Josh had used his influence and gazillion dollars to reboot “Firefly” (Watch me get flamed for even suggesting this) It would have been soooo much more fun to watch. Wittier and edgier dialogue and not silly comic based crap.

30. Columbus says:

Gave up after 20 minutes. I was too bored to continue. Maybe I’m too old?

• Ty says:

Yes, yes you are. The backdrop is interesting, it makes you want to see what they can do with it. But if that backdrop has no draw for you, it’s time to give up on fantasy universes and just go watch documentaries.

• Maryann says:

Calendar age has nothing to do with it, just attitude. My dad read comics to me before I could read, and I have loved superheroes, fantasy, and science fiction all my life. I have loved Joss Whedon’s work since Buffy, and all the superhero movies from Marvel and DC, along with fantasy epics like Lord of the Rings, the Potterverse, and The Hobbit, in print and on the screen. And I’m retired. So it’s all about world view and outlook, not physical age.

31. ben says:

Odd that it has such a great rating in the polls and yet so many negative comments down here.

32. Pati says:

So cheesy and not worth the hype

33. Kenny says:

Over hyping killded this for me, I had never seen the Marvel films…so my only reason for watching was all the hype, and The pilot was ok:

1. The Action Scenes were great!
    2. The Dry humor was well done
    3. There was a lot of “cheese”
    4. I hated the end with the car flying away
    5. Coulson is a TRUE badass
    6. Is this really going to be a Comic book procedural?

34. Talia says:

Coming from someone who only knows Marvel for their recent movies I really enjoyed this show. It was fun and I’ll be back for episode 2. Great seeing Ming Na back on TV and I loved FitzSimmons.

35. Liz says:

I think some people are being over harsh. I thought it was a pretty solid pilot, and there’s tons of potential. It wasn’t the best thing ever, but no pilot is if people are honest. I think they handled the marvel tie in really well, and I like most of the characters. My biggest complaint was the sound. It seemed to drown out a lot of the dialogue.

• I hear this a lot. I think it has to do with 5.1 mixing not translating well to stereo speakers. I know it’s not a solution if you don’t have a 5.1 setup, but balancing your levels so your center channel is as loud as it needs to be keeps me from missing any dialogue. You’d think they’d be better at doing a decent stereo mix these days. Most of the time on TV, my rear channels are only used for when a door gets knocked on offscreen and I think it’s my real door sometimes.

• Cynthia says:

I enjoyed it, too. I’m not seeing any of the things that some people are complaining about. If you thought this pilot was going to have naked flying superheroines, or include ‘any’ of the Avengers themselves, then you’re going to be disappointed. The Screen Actors Guild (SAG) makes sure that movie actors do not compete with t.v. actors. Television actors are in a lower pay bracket than movie actors which is why you seldom see high powered movie actors guest starring in t.v. series. Lower scale movie actors, and unknowns can do it, but not the expensive ones. So…no Thor, no Cap, no Black Widow, no Iron Man and no Loki. And the X-Men belong to somebody else. I guess the earlier bad comments are from grouchy D.C. fans who are upset that Marvel not only has a series of successful movie franchises, but now also a t.v. series. P.S. Never liked “Buffy”. I prefer my vampires serious as a heart attack.

36. Kayla says:

So happy right now! I had so much fun watching this.

The one liners are so Joss-y and I loved them.

If you’re going to watch a superhero show, you have to know that some of it is going to be cheesy. That’s what this genre is. It was definitely not boring, so I don’t get the “lost interest” posts at all. You have to give a show time to introduce characters and get to know them. It seems like so many people are used to netflixing entire seasons of shows after they get rave reviews, and in that setting people are more willing to give a show a chance instead of turning it off one episode in.

Storylines have the luxury of developing over time on TV because of the format. Movies in this genre develop quickly because action happens faster, and it seems like the negative comments stem from a difficulty in reconciling how this story is going to work in shorter segments. I really hope it succeeds. I’ll never understand why NCIS and DWTS are so popular.

• Maryann says:

Not all superhero movies are cheesy. On a scale of zero to ten, I would give the Adam West Batman a 10 for cheese, and Dark Knight a one. I generally detest cheese — I was so looking forward to the Adam West Batman when it was originally set to air, and then was bitterly disappointed that it was not more like Dark Knight, which felt like comic book movies had finally matured. But Whedon is a different situation entirely. His “cheese” is not like the campy ridiculousness of the Adam West Batman. It is fun, and it doesn’t detract from the seriousness of his stories and characters, at least not in the long run. It’s what made Buffy so special. People who didn’t quite know what to make of the series pilot should give it a chance. I would only give the pilot a B, but I know that Whedon pays off in the long run, and I am in for the duration.

37. Chris says:

Ehh… Sat through the whole hour hoping it would get better. The actors playing Skye and Ward didn’t seem ready for prime time, and dialogue was pretty cringeworthy. Guess we’re too spoiled by Iron Man/Avengers. Had high hopes, hope it improves.

38. cjeffery7 says:

If you make a Harry Potter reference, I will watch you. See also: Parks & Recreation – “I wonder who else was born in Eagleton…. Voldemort probably.”

39. Andrea says:

I sat through the whole hour thinking it would get better but it never did. I think maybe I just expected too much. Maybe it will get better? It just disappointed.

• wordsmith says:

The interviews that the cast have done seem to hint that the second episode is actually a lot bigger and more exciting than the first, and the final scene and teaser seem to corroborate that.

40. Susan says:

We skipped NCIS to watch this and we really liked it! It is a nice change, from the usual one-hour drama.

41. John DeMayo says:

Great, seamless transition of the Marvel Cinematic Universe from the big to the small screen. Visually and thematically, it felt exactly like The Avengers. The big question was whether the show could hold its own without any of the movie superheroes. And judging from the pilot, that answer is a resounding “yes”. Clark Gregg is the scene stealer as Agent Coulson, of course. The show will be worth tuning into just for him. No, we didn’t get to learn much about the other characters… but that’s what the rest of the episodes are for. With that in mind, there’s room to grow. But overall it’s a strong pilot. Great writing, great performances, and surprisingly great visual effects for a TV show. Can’t wait to see more.

42. Alex M says:

Well, at least I’m not disappointed! Keep in mind I wasn’t expecting much to begin with. The show straddles the line between geek boy nostalgia and low brow ‘wow’ effects/every-man humor just finely enough that it will keep most people tuned in. However I find the writing inane and just cliched enough to make me roll my eyes more than a few times. I’m not a fan of the casting either with Brett Dalton being the biggest disappointment. He throws male bravado around with enough schlock and typical dumb boy dialogue that he’s barely more than a shadow of a real person and certainly someone that I will never take seriously on my TV screen. Vanessa Carlton.. Wait, no I mean Chloe Bennet is just as groan inducing throwing her hair around and making catty eyes at everyone over her ‘vastly superior’ tech skills. Once again Whedon comes across as a boy playing with action figures who just makes his plot lines and dialogue up as he goes along. When he’s good, he’s a genius (e.g Buffy and Dollhouse) but when he’s off the mark, he’s unwatchable! Grade D.

43. Juan says:

I thought it was pretty awesome. I liked almost all the characters, especially the hermione quoting one, coulson, and Ming.

44. Jake says:

I enjoyed it, and thats even after watching The Avengers literally right before it. With as much as they called back to the movie I thought that was actually a good idea.

I loved Agent Coulson, thought the action scenes were good, and so far I like the characters. I’ll be sticking around

Sidenote…Was that Book from Firefly as the Doctor? if so AWESOME!

45. Olivia says:

I just want a 2nd season to have Cobie Smulders as a regular once HIMYM ends

• wordsmith says:

That would be fun to see more of her as Hill, but I can’t really see her fitting into the new dynamic they’ve set up as more than a recurring character. She’s basically the boss’ boss.

• Alan says:

theyve been doing the whole boss’ boss thing on ncis for years now (directors shepard and vance being the boss of gibbs) and recently with ncis la too (granger being hetty’s boss) so i can already see how that would work and i think it would be perfectly fine and would really make a lot of sense for a strike team like this to deal directly with the upper management.

46. Reblogged this on thehiltonburnellfiles and commented:
    The show is totally awesome and superb. I love it.

47. Morisot says:

Well, I liked Sleepy Hollow

48. Juan says:

I really liked it and I think maybe people were expecting too much but I thought it was great, I especially loved the drawing porcupine and the truth serum bits.