Sleepy Hollow Recap: Fire in the Hole!

Get More: Recaps

Sleepy Hollow Season 1 RecapIchabod Crane encounters a force stronger than anything he’s seen before in this week’s Sleepy Hollow, and it makes for a powerful moment.

The time-transplanted hero has his first run-in with donut holes, and it’s a big deal. That’s the kind of thing that changes a man forever.

There’s also a crispy witch who’s connected to the mirror demon, the first appearance of Abbie’s messed-up sister, and just because Andy’s dead doesn’t mean he’s off duty. Let’s take a quick gallop through the highlights of “Blood Moon.”

RELATEDSleepy Hollow Books Fringe‘s John Noble for Power(s)ful Recurring Role

WHAT A WITCH | This week’s Big Bad is Serilda, an evil witch burned at the stake by Sleepy Hollow townsfolk (with an assist from Ichabod’s good-witch honey Katrina) back in the day. She’s resurrected by Andy, who’s still quite dead but who at least has his head screwed on straight again, via some demonic mumbo-jumbo. (Note: I mock the mirror demon because he scares the pee out of me.) Ichabod and Abbie realize she’s trying to get back into her earthly body, and leaving a trail of charred corpses along the way, so they trail her to where her bones were buried and then torch her by setting fire to trunks of leftover Revolutionary War gunpowder.

LOVE STORIES | Before Serilda dies, she lets it slip that Katrina is imprisoned in a “world between worlds,” giving Crane hope that he and his wife may someday reunite. Other Katrina facts divulged during the ep: She didn’t like Ichabod when they first met, and her coven worked against dark witches like Serilda, the types of ladies George Washington suspected were colluding with the British Army. We also meet Luke, a cop who does not like Ichabod but who is Abbie’s ex. They broke up because she was heading to Quantico; so where does that leave them now, Ichabod wonders?

TURNING POINT | Abbie attends Sheriff Corbin’s funeral; as Ichabod intuits from her reaction to his death, they were close. The lieutenat reveals that after the incident in the woods with her sister, she turned to drugs and got busted breaking into a pharmacy with her boyfriend. Corbin took her to a diner and gave her the time it took him to eat a piece of apple pie to figure out which way she wanted her life to go; makes their scene in the diner in the pilot more poignant, no? Corbin appears to Abbie in a vision (?) at the end of the episode and tells her “Don’t be afraid of #49.” Cut to a mental hospital, where Abbie’s institutionalized (and jacked!) sister Jenny is spitting out her meds on the sly and getting visited by the mirror demon, though it’s unclear whether or not she knows he’s there.

SAFE PASSAGE | Ichabod alerts Abbie to a series of tunnels the Revolutionary Army dug under the town; as someone who watched All My Children for years, I can only hope these passageways will see the same kind of high foot traffic that the Chandler Mansion ones did.

CRANE CHECK-IN | Ichabod is living in a motel, where he is kept under police watch. We find out he’s got a photographic memory and speaks a bunch of languages. And he has a cover now — history professor on leave from Oxford — and is learning about modern conventions like showers and coffee makers. The donut-hole bit, from his initial realization that they are little bits of heaven to his outrage over the tax, gets a big laugh from me. I would, however, like to see him a little more freaked out about the fact that his wife is, essentially, dead and that he can’t remember entire centuries. For me, the fact that this show’s premise is bananapants-crazy doesn’t matter, as long as the relationship between Abbie and Crane feels real. We saw a little bit of her pain and confusion this week, with him as a kind support. Let’s hope the converse happens in the near future.

WHO’S YOUR STYLIST? | I can’t have been the only person to notice that, for much of the episode, Ichabod and Abbie were rocking the same hairdo, right?

Now it’s your turn! What did you think of the episode? Sound off in the comments!

Comments (54)

• Seriously impressed by this show. I mean, this is the second episode and they BLEW UP A WITCH! If they keep that pace, I will keep watching.

Comment by carrionne – September 23, 2013 08:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. Just 1 thing bothered me …. Andy. His possessions anyway. Why does he still have access to a gun, uniform, patrol car and why didn’t anyone report the @#$%^&*() body missing?

Comment by Scott Johnston – September 23, 2013 08:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I wondered that as well. At least, why didn’t we have a scene where someone comes into the medical examiner’s lab and notices he is missing?

Comment by Alichat – September 23, 2013 09:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I don’t necessarily think those things are real (or are at least controlled by forces of evil!). The first guy that was burned crispy, when Andy met him and drove off the patrol car disappeared. This made me think the patrol car itself was an apparition. But the entire show is completely insane, so I don’t focus on finding logic :) It’s good silly fun.

Also the mirror demon totally freaked me out. Was that what appeared in the sister’s room at the end?!?

Comment by JB – September 24, 2013 07:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Yep! Good ol’ Creepy McCreepyhorns himself. My daughter and I made the monstrous (pun intended) error last week of freeze-framing on his face in the split-second before the mirror cracked in the cell. I will never sleep again.

Comment by Annie – September 24, 2013 09:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I know this show is technically ridiculous, but I can’t help but love it. It doesn’t take itself too seriously, there are some genuine scary moments and Mison and Beharie have great chemistry. I wonder if and how John Cho makes an appearance in next week’s episode.

Comment by jenn – September 23, 2013 08:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I love that Andy isn’t a full Reinfield- that he’s not exactly pleased about being re-animated and forced to continue to do the demon bidding. He’s snark at the witch made me laugh. Normally minions don’t talk back.

Comment by Alice – September 24, 2013 07:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Still enjoying this one. I liked the scene between Ichabod and Abbie’s ex; ‘oh, you were there?’ Lol
    And Andy’s neck scene weirded me out.
    Nice to see the sheriff. Ichabod is easy on the eyes, and I like his wit. :)
    Looking forward to more.

Comment by Jenna – September 23, 2013 08:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved it! Mirror demon is creepy, just about as much a dead deputy coming back to life in the morgue. I did giggle when he noticed his head was upside down. Glad the kid didn’t get smoked! When the witch put the bones together, so to speak, reminded me if the movie, the Mummy.

I didn’t think I would enjoy this show, but I’m hooked!

Comment by Annie – September 23, 2013 08:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Katrina looks different – or maybe wearing a pound less of makeup. The credits say Katia’s name, but the pilot Katrina looks different from the 2nd episode’s. Was there a recast?

Comment by k – September 23, 2013 08:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I thought she looked different too from the pilot (was it her hair colour maybe?), but it’s def the same actress.

Comment by JeffDJ – September 23, 2013 09:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s the same actress, but you’re right, she looked different. A big part was the hair. It was more of a flame red in the pilot, and had more body and curl to it. A friend and I watched the pilot before tonight’s ep, and that was the first thing she said when Katrina came on-screen in the second ep…..”what happened to her hair?” Just before ep 2 aired, she had gone on for 10 minutes about how much she loved Katrina’s hair in the pilot.

Comment by Alichat – September 23, 2013 09:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like how Abbie was just like, “I’m pissed, how about some answers”…Usually people just are all “But you’re dead…this is too strange…I’m dreaming, no I’m dreaming!” and than ghost person says something cryptic and goes away. sure the dreaming happened and the cryptic disappearing act, but Abbie was pretty quick on the draw and was like, “Tell me what’s going on”

I like the leads chemistry, so I can’t say I’m thrilled the wife might come back into the picture. Ichabod was pretty hilarious throughout the episode.

Comment by Josh – September 23, 2013 08:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I liked tonight’s ep except for two things……..I don’t see how Serilda was able to re-animate herself if Katrina had bound her powers before her death, and I liked the grittier look of the pilot. Tonight’s ep seemed…um….shiny and bright. I still loved the creep factor, and the humor in Brook’s (or Dunn’s….IMDB has Cho’s character listed as Dunn) re-awakening. And I adore the chemistry between Abby and Ichabod. It is very real. Loved the moment when he tasted the donut hole, and his amazement with light bulbs. I was expecting a few more fish-out-of water moments concerning the language. Like when Abby says she can’t put out an APB on a witch or when she says they will need to find him a cover or that she needs a moment to catch her feet or that something ‘isn’t going to cut it.’ Although I know in some scenes, having Ichabod react to something she said with a ‘you’re speaking jibberish again’ would disrupt the flow of the scene, I thought we’d see a quizzical look here or there. Anyone else wonder if there is going to be a deeper meaning to Orlando Jones’ character name? He’s Capt Frank Irving. Washington Irving wrote The Legend of Sleepy Hollow.

Comment by Alichat – September 23, 2013 10:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh, good catch,,,, I was too busy trying to figure out how Lilith jumped networks, and sending up silly little prayers for even one Eric and Ichabod scene. Honestly, Ichabod and Abby are both seriously beautiful, aren’t they?

Comment by linds – September 24, 2013 02:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Abby was great in ’42′, so glad to see her again. Crane is gorgeous, I wish he’d wash his hair.

Comment by lisa andolini – September 24, 2013 07:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Just based on other witch type of lore, I’m going to assume that the binding dies when the witch dies (or is stuck between worlds, as they say in this ep). That’s the best I could come up with.

Comment by Lo – September 24, 2013 04:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I caught the Irving allusion and wondered the same; would make an interesting connection. Is it just me or does Crane look like he hasn’t had a chance to shower since he crawled out of his grave? I caught the pilot on a whim and loved the sheer cheekiness, chills and chemistry of the whole brew. Well done!

Comment by lisa andolini – September 24, 2013 07:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WTF!! This show is f**king insane…..I like.

Comment by Gem – September 23, 2013 11:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love this crazy show!

Comment by Ace – September 23, 2013 11:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love this show! But we need to get Icabod some new/clean clothes. He can’t walk around for 3 or 4 seasons in the same outfit, can he?

Comment by DarkDefender – September 23, 2013 11:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was thinking the same thing and I would love to see them go to the nearest mall. That would be an adventure in itself…

Comment by jazzyt2u – September 24, 2013 12:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Ichabod at the mall will be a show all by itself.

Comment by NeeVA – September 24, 2013 01:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really like the show, but the thing i maybe like most is the little things about him adjusting to it being 250 years later and that is the one thing they won’t be able to deliver in the long run seeing as he at some point will become familiar with this new surroundings. Even without that it will be a good show though…

Comment by EJ386 – September 24, 2013 03:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought that, while setting up what the show will be from this point on (Ichabod and Abbie trying to stop the Apocalypse, which I love), they kind of lost the charm of the pilot. That being said, I am still enjoying it as long as they come up with creative weekly cases.

Comment by Patrick Maloney – September 24, 2013 04:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I liked this episode a lot as well. The show has an early-years “Supernatural” vibe to it.

Which I love. Yeah, Icabod will need new clothes pretty soon. The wife is very pretty

Comment by Dee – September 24, 2013 05:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I keep thinking that they really need Sam and Dean to show up and explain some stuff to them. I would love to see Jim Beaver guest on this show.

Comment by Jane – September 24, 2013 06:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ichabod and Abby… sorry Katrina.

Comment by lisa andolini – September 24, 2013 07:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Boo-Yah, Lovin It!!!!! So glad John Cho’s character is still in the mix. Ichabod & Abbie have me in stitches, those two play so well off each other. The plots may seem a little far fetched, but this is entertainment and I love this type of entertainment.

Comment by saeh – September 24, 2013 05:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This show has set the new show bar for me. The leads chemistry is perfect, there is enough areyoukiddingme weirdness to make it creepy and fun like early Fringe and X-Files. I smell cult fave and hopefully a little more to keep them in FOX’s good graces for a while now.

Comment by sladewilson – September 24, 2013 05:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It feels like early Fringe to me too. I find myself hiding behind a pillow just as much as I did with Fringe’s first season. Really looking forward to John Noble’s character!

Comment by NCSouthernBelle – September 24, 2013 06:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I find it very enjoyable and fast paced. I like how they slow down just enough to give you some back story for the main characters, then pick up the pace. I loved the whole doughnut hole rant/tax rant. I agree cult classic in the making.

Comment by Jake – September 24, 2013 06:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m loving Tom Mison. Where has he been before now?

Comment by JCK – September 24, 2013 06:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hanging out in England (BBC TV)….wandering around the land of Jane Austen (Lost in Austen)……salmon fishing in the Yemen…… ;-)

Comment by Alichat – September 24, 2013 07:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Ichabod’s hilarious comments about modern discoveries, but I agree too much of the language is jargon he wouldn’t immediately understand. If they gave him a “cover” of being a History professor, shouldn’t they get him some clothes other than his Revolutionary War uniform? Even though he looks hot in it…..

Comment by Liz – September 24, 2013 06:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love the fact that I can be genuinely amused in one minute and then seriously creeped out in the next.

I am continually bemused by Icabod’s indifferent attitude towards his ex-wife. I find him showing more interest in Abbie’s love life than his wife’s plight that I thought that she must be some transient character and the writers did not want Icabod moaning about losing her forever. But seeing her in the opening credits, made me realize that she’s obviously sticking around, but are we supposed to believe that he was actually in love with her? He brought up the question of whether she could be freed once and that was so fleeting that it was forgotten in the next second. Icabod is more interested in his growing partnership with Abbie.

Comment by Marc – September 24, 2013 06:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • All this, brought to you by the creators of Lost, Fringe, Star Trek, Star Trek Into Darkness, Hawaii Five-O, Now You See Me, Cowboys and Aliens (well, they can’t all be winners), Ender’s Game, Amazing Spiderman 2, Van Helsing, Star Trek 3, and so on…

Comment by Bob – September 24, 2013 06:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Okay Fox do not let me down I am giving my time to watch this show! I am generally not a network person except for Modern Family & Scandal (I broke up with Glee). It took me until the 2nd season to watch Scandal because I was afraid if I loved it ABC would cancel because of low ratings. I really do like Sleepy Hollow. Is it me or does Crane and Abbie have a Giles and Buffy vibe going on? Giles was very into his books & research while Buffy liked to go on instinct. For one little second the burnt witch reminded me so much of Lillith on True Blood but there were two differences. Lillith was covered with blood and naked but because this isn’t cable the witch had a bit of clothing on….LOL.

Comment by BlueBelle – September 24, 2013 07:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This show is nuts but in a good way. I hope that it continues to be deliciously crazy as the pilot and last night’s episode. History has shown that Fox allows different shows on the air but creatively they suffer and Fox cancels them. Exception being the Following, which I stopped watching mid-way because I was laughing at all wrong things. And Clancy Brown is awesome. I hope he keeps popping up. I do think that Crane needs some new clothes. Even a new shirt? History professor works as a cover but people will notice if he keeps wearing the same outfit every day. This isn’t Stargate Universe where they had only the clothes on their backs. There are malls or online for that matter.

Comment by Paige – September 24, 2013 08:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You’ve described what Sleepy Hollow is perfectly by calling it “deliciously crazy”. That’s how I feel about it and I fervently hope that they can maintain that formula. They just need to keep the creeps and the laughs coming and NEVER attempt to take itself too seriously. I simply love the relationship between the two leads and how things just flow so naturally between them. Abbie while not being completely believing of what’s happening has this refreshing take charge attitude without coming off as the sterotypical “tough woman with a chip on her shoulder” and Ichabod is funny without being presented as a caricature. The show is outlandish but not ‘buffoonish’.

Comment by Marcella – September 24, 2013 08:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love this show!

Comment by annie – September 24, 2013 08:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • you heard here first! the Captain is the demon we are seeing Im pretty sure!

Comment by Supernatural – September 24, 2013 09:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This show is very entertaining. EVERY character has been spot-on. Love the chemistry; the humor; the fast pace; the special effects!—and I jumped and yelped at least 5 times during this episode.

Comment by Morisot – September 24, 2013 11:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love the show! The humor, the Mison guy,the fact that the devil (or whatever that mirror thing is) speaks Greek! Now I know how am I’m gonna get out of hell being such a bad girl. For your information the language is basically modern greek.

Comment by DimitraX – September 24, 2013 12:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • But what the Demon said in Greek was grammatically incorrect! ‘Your soul is mine’…Soul is feminine..Dumb demon!

Comment by JoeT – September 30, 2013 05:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • What do you expect from a demon!? He was probably the worst student in the “Greek for demonic creatures” class!

Comment by DimitraX – October 1, 2013 01:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This episode continued a fantastic pilot, ok. I assume they broke the production bank to make the pilot. It will go down as the highest quality pilot in TV history. Of course, they could not keep it up at the same level, but they did a competent job the last episode. My husband remained riveted, which is the acid test.

Comment by prish – September 24, 2013 04:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love this show.

Comment by betty – September 26, 2013 08:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Even a man who’s been dead and buried for hundreds of years knows that taxes are too high! Why can’t everyone else figure that out?

Comment by Jason Trommetter – September 26, 2013 11:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What a great show. So glad it’s on hulu plus so us US Marines can watch it in Japan. Great show can’t say that enough. Thank you Fox.

Comment by Scott hall – September 27, 2013 04:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thank you so much for your service!!!

Comment by SouthernBelle – September 27, 2013 07:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Change your clothes, find a place to live, eat food, go insane from time change

Comment by A.w.giles – October 1, 2013 11:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The dream sequence and its build up created so much tension that the quick resolution was anticlimactic. When it’s that good, work it! Abby and Ichabod have the same bad hair – it’s becoming distracting.

Comment by lisa andolini – October 1, 2013 12:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The show is awesome but the Greek segments are just horrible!!!

Comment by Evey – October 2, 2013 06:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post