Emmys

Emmy Winners 2013: Breaking Bad and Modern Family Score Top Honors, Claire Danes Repeats, HBO and Candelabra Dominate

Get More: Awards, Emmys, News

Emmy Winners ListThe 65th Primetime Emmy Awards were handed out Sunday night in Los Angeles, and HBO was this year’s big winner, amassing 27 total trophies.

Fueling the pay cabler’s success was 11 total gold grabs by its Behind the Candelabra telepic, including an honor for co-lead Michael Douglas. Boardwalk Empire added to HBO’s haul with five wins, while Veep‘s Julia Louis-Dreyfus and Tony Hale took home statues as well.

CBS placed a distant second at this year’s Emmys with 16 total wins, most of which came at the Creative Arts ceremony held Sept. 15. The Eye’s biggest prize-winner was The Big Bang Theory and its three wins, including for lead actor Jim Parsons.

In the night’s two biggest races, the first half of Breaking Bad‘s final season earned best drama honors, while ABC’s Modern Family claimed the top comedy prize.

FX’s American Horror Story went into Emmy season with the most nominations — 17 total — but only converted on two of them. Similarly, HBO’s Game of Thrones went 2-for-16.

Among broadcast network fare, NBC’s Saturday Night Live fared best with four total wins.

RELATED | Emmys Poll: Did the ‘Hosts of Emmys Past’ Save Neil Patrick Harris’ Lackluster Opening?

The complete list of nominees is here. Review the list of winners and tell us which please you most!

Outstanding Drama Series | Breaking Bad
Lead Actor In A Drama Series | Jeff Daniels, The Newsroom
Lead Actress In A Drama Series | Claire Danes, Homeland (2012 WINNER)
Supporting Actor In A Drama Series | Bobby Cannavale, Boardwalk Empire
Supporting Actress In A Drama Series | Anna Gunn, Breaking Bad
Writing in a Drama Series | Homeland
Directing in a Drama Series | House of Cards

Outstanding Comedy Series | Modern Family
Lead Actor In A Comedy Series | Jim Parsons, The Big Bang Theory
Lead Actress In A Comedy Series | Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Veep (2012 WINNER)
Supporting Actor In A Comedy Series | Tony Hale, Veep
Supporting Actress In A Comedy Series | Merritt Wever, Nurse Jackie
Writing in a Comedy Series | 30 Rock
Directing in a Comedy Series | Modern Family

Outstanding Miniseries or Movie | Behind the Candelabra
Lead Actor In A Miniseries Or A Movie | Michael Douglas, Behind the Candelabra
Lead Actress In A Miniseries Or A Movie | Laura Linney, The Big C: hereafter
Supporting Actor In A Miniseries Or A Movie | James Cromwell, American Horror Story: Asylum
Supporting Actress In A Miniseries Or A Movie | Ellen Burstyn, Political Animals
Writing in a Miniseries or Movie | The Hour
Directing in a Miniseries or Movie | Behind the Candelabra

Outstanding Variety, Music Or Comedy Series | The Colbert Report
Writing in a Variety, Music Or Comedy Series | The Colbert Report
Directing in a Variety, Music Or Comedy Series | Saturday Night Live

Outstanding Reality – Competition Program | The Voice

Choreography | Dancing With the Stars, Derek Hough

Plus, select highlights from the Creative Arts Emmys held Sept. 15….

Guest Actress In A Comedy Series | Melissa Leo, Louie
Guest Actor In A Comedy Series | Bob Newhart The Big Bang Theory
Guest Actor In A Drama Series | Dan Bucatinsky, Scandal
Guest Actress In A Drama Series | Carrie Preston, The Good Wife
Host For A Reality Or Reality-Competition Program | Heidi Klum and Tim Gunn, Project Runway
Reality Program | Undercover Boss
Casting For a Drama Series | House of Cards
Casting For A Comedy Series | 30 Rock
Casting For A Miniseries, Movie Or A Special | Behind the Candelabra

Comments (163)

• Woah – wouldn’t have thought “Merritt Weaver let me down” would ever cross my mind. Speech, girl!

Comment by Amy – September 22, 2013 05:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’ve never seen her before but WTF kind of speech was that?

Comment by abz – September 22, 2013 05:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • By the time she found the mic- they were telling her it was time to wrap up.

Comment by Alice – September 22, 2013 05:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • That’s incorrect. She chose to walk off before saying anything that could be considered a speech.

Comment by TV Gord – September 23, 2013 10:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Speech, or lack thereof, was brilliant and funny because of her delivery and the brevity.

Comment by K – September 22, 2013 05:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • We have a surprise!!! What a great way to start!!

Comment by briannord1 – September 22, 2013 05:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay for Merritt Wever! That girl definitely deserves some recognition.

Comment by Wouter – September 22, 2013 05:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not only a surprise win, but probably the best speech of the night, all in the first 30 minutes.

Comment by JBS – September 22, 2013 05:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so unbelievably excited Merritt Wever won! She is amazing on that show. Also, best speech ever! Poor thing was clearly completely overwhelmed.

Comment by Sara – September 22, 2013 05:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Meh…I wish ANYONE else would have won.

Comment by Nikki – September 22, 2013 05:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Aaaah! First award got it right! So happy for Merritt!

Comment by erin – September 22, 2013 05:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay 30 Rock for Writing! Sad Jane lost!

Comment by analog – September 22, 2013 05:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Strike two…can we please give network shows some love????

Comment by Nikki – September 22, 2013 05:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hear hear!

Comment by KD – September 22, 2013 07:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Congrats to Modern Family, Jim Parsons, 30 Rock, DWTS, the Voice and all the network shows that won/were nominated.

Comment by KD – September 22, 2013 08:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Totally agree. Most of the winners are not on standard network shows. Watching the Emmys is not enjoyable for that reason; can’t afford those other channels. Did anything from PBS win?

Comment by Pennagirl – September 23, 2013 04:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The Emmys keeps becoming less and less enjoyable to those of us without cable. Since most of the shows nominated are cable shows, I’m surprised network channels still host the awards show.

Comment by KD – September 22, 2013 08:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I was just thinking that I wish they would have separate award shows for network and cable. It’s funny because I do have cable but don’t have any pay channels like HBO and Showtime so that makes it less enjoyable for me, when those shows are nominated.. I guess what it comes down to is the Show Biz Industry honoring their own in whatever venue they work in.

Comment by JBC – September 22, 2013 08:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I have cable too, and I hate it! I’d go antenna only in a second if I had any real selection, like those people in the cities. The Emmys has gotten worse every year. I don’t even watch it anymore. I just read the winners on sites like this one.
            I am happy for Jim Parsons, though. Sheldon’s funny as hell, it’s about time he won finally!

Comment by Bad Samaritan – September 23, 2013 08:54 AM PDT
      • Can we have something besides all this reality crap…so sick of Dancing with the Stars, The Voice, Survivor, America Has Talent, etc etc!!

Comment by Guy Brent – September 23, 2013 09:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • EMMY ARE FINALLY CHANGING IT UP. THANK YOU.

Comment by ggny – September 22, 2013 05:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • First Merritt Wever, now Tony Hale? Wow. I’m impressed so far.

Comment by JBS – September 22, 2013 05:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • …Anyone else happy that MF HAVENT won yet?? Sounds terrible… But true

Comment by Eddie – September 22, 2013 05:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Normally, I’d say no. But considering who has won so far, yeah I kind of am.

Comment by JBS – September 22, 2013 05:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • As much as I love Modern Family, I’m also glad that Modern Family hasn’t won any awards so far this year. I just feel like season four wasn’t good enough to be deserving of winning a bunch of awards like it did for the first three seasons of the show.

Comment by Taylor – September 22, 2013 05:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree. I really like it, too, but just don’t think it’s as deserving this year as it may have been in the past, or as deserving as some of the other nominees. But the night is young.

Comment by april-ann – September 22, 2013 05:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • …And I stand corrected. They won the award for best directing for a comedy series. At least the episode that Modern Family won the award for was one of my favorite episodes of the season, “Arrested”.

Comment by Taylor – September 22, 2013 05:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d never heard of Merritt Weaver before but I’m a fan now just because of her acceptance non-speech. LOL! Brilliant.

Comment by apirl-ann – September 22, 2013 05:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Merritt actually would have been my last pick, but I appreciated her speech…or lack thereof. Saved a couple minutes. Surprised, but pleasantly so, with Tony’s win. I’ve wanted him to win for AD for years now (how he was never nominated for that show is beyond me). I actually find him way better in AD than in Veep, but I’m just pretending his win is for AD. Happy for him. (I would have liked to see Jason Bateman’s reaction, though.)

Comment by Ron – September 22, 2013 05:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Aww come on! Amy Peohler should have won.

Comment by Alice – September 22, 2013 05:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I like Julia, and I thought her speech with Tony was hysterical. But I agree. It should have been Amy’s. I think Julia is great in Veep, but Amy has been consistently great since season one. I’m beginning to think she’ll never win. I’d like to know what it will take for her to win if she hasn’t won yet.

Comment by Ron – September 22, 2013 05:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ha ha, Anna Chlumsky caught texting

Comment by Alice – September 22, 2013 05:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I believe she was being her character Amy! Lol!

Comment by Rdub – September 22, 2013 06:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hoping Jeff Daniels wins tonight! On another note, is Jessica Lange wearing the same dress Jane Fonda wore in a Newsroom episode a few weeks ago?

Comment by May – September 22, 2013 05:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Now people will be pissed off (I’m not, though.) You deserve it Jim.

Comment by JBS – September 22, 2013 05:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed!!!! Finally, a win that I can clap for.

Comment by Nikki – September 22, 2013 05:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nothing more predictable than Jim and Julia. But it’s deserved.

Comment by april-ann – September 22, 2013 05:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hey, Matt, would it be possible and/or easy to link a list of the nominees with this article?

Comment by april-ann – September 22, 2013 05:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Blerg. I was really happy until Jim & to a lesser extent Julia won. Alec, Louis & Don are all more deserving. Especially considering the quality of their shows compared to TBBT. I wouldn’t mind Julia had she A) Not won last year B) Amy should have beaten her.

Comment by Eddie – September 22, 2013 05:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      Agree.
      Agree.
      Agree, part A.
      Agree, part B.

Comment by Ron – September 22, 2013 05:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Kaley’s reaction anytime Jim wins something. They (and the entire cast of BBT) are beyond adorable.

Comment by Thea – September 22, 2013 05:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am annoyed that they keep cutting the winners off so that they could allow Elton John to sing a song that had NOTHING to do with Liberace. Don’t get me wrong, I usually love Elton John, but what a waste of time.

Comment by Sara – September 22, 2013 06:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed. I could’ve done without the performance period. It could’ve given the winner an extra few seconds to finish up their speeches.

Comment by abz – September 22, 2013 06:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Seriously. The “middle of the show” musical number could have been axed too. It really irritates me that they are so disrespectful of the winners and then use the extra time for filler that nobody wants or cares about.

Comment by Ruby – September 22, 2013 09:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Laura Linney? Really? …. Really??? I guess no one bothered to watch Top of the Lake… These awards are all over the place… That is a good thing. I am enjoying the surprises even if I disagree

Comment by briannord1 – September 22, 2013 06:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t mind all over the place. I do mind all over the place when it’s in the wrong direction. I REALLY like Laura, but it should have been Elisabeth Moss.

Comment by Ron – September 22, 2013 06:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed, should’ve been Moss.

Comment by Thea – September 22, 2013 06:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My reaction too! Definitely thought Moss, or maybe even Weaver was going to win…but Laura Linney?!

Comment by Cheeky – September 22, 2013 08:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Laura Linney is a wonderful actress. With what/whom she was up against was it deserved? I don’t know. I don’t watch that. About Elizabeth Moss. Just like when it comes to the Oscars, voters may be turned off by the scientology factor. I know I am.

Comment by april-ann – September 22, 2013 08:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Seriously? Scientology factor? They’re supposed to judge acting, not actor’s private life.

Comment by Goku – September 23, 2013 01:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I agree. But to say it’s never been a factor (especially when it comes to the Oscars) would be naive.

Comment by april-ann – September 23, 2013 10:32 AM PDT
    • Top of the Lake was robbed in every category, but ESPECIALLY lead actress. Clearly “the academy” or whoever votes for these things didn’t watch the movie because it was tremendous and Elisabeth Moss is the CLEAR winner.

Comment by Ruby – September 22, 2013 09:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Laura Linney was seriously incredible in the final short season of The Big C, so I don’t think it’s really anything to be astonished over. It does suck she wasn’t there to accept it though.

Comment by Bobby – September 22, 2013 09:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sooooo, would anybody please like to explain to me what the purpose of having Elton John was? I’m being honest, I really don’t know. Because from my perspective, it served no purpose for TV.

Comment by Ron – September 22, 2013 06:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I missed the first 30 minutes, but am I the only one beyond tired of the mini in memoriam segments already? It’s just messing up the emotional flow. Laughs ->somber speech -> laughs -> elton john song…

Comment by CK – September 22, 2013 06:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • THIS!

Comment by Nikki – September 22, 2013 06:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The Modern Family (sigh- again?) acceptance speech said it best “The Saddest Emmy’s Ever.” I just thought the whole idea of having selected mini-memoriams was disrespectful to everyone else who didn’t get singled out for the attention. They all, presumably, had funerals where people talked about them- the Emmy’s isn’t the place for a mini-eulogy.

Comment by Alice – September 22, 2013 08:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Better luck next year Amy Poehler :-(

Comment by Flacco Kaepernick – September 22, 2013 06:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Reblogged this on I'm LissaBreen – Welcome To My World (My Life, My Way&My Destiny).

Comment by LissaCaldina – September 22, 2013 06:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Huzzah for Anna. Probably the first decision of the night that I 100% agree with.

Comment by Ron – September 22, 2013 06:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think out of those that got nominations, definitely right on with Anna.

Still think that Michelle Fairley should have been nominated and won though.

Comment by Joey – September 22, 2013 06:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • RIP Henry Bromell. Did someone accept the Emmy on his behalf?

Comment by Flacco Kaepernick – September 22, 2013 06:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • His wife. Widow.

Comment by Annie – September 22, 2013 07:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • RIP Cory, the Gleeks love and miss you like crazy

Comment by Stephanie – September 22, 2013 06:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Seriously, Neil Patrick Harris always does an amazing job hostng these award shows. Loved that number. Definitely wasn’t expecting Nathan Fillion and Sarah Silverman showing up.. Even though I love Ellen Degeneres, I’d much rather have NPH hosting the Oscars next year.

Comment by abz – September 22, 2013 06:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ok with Bobby Carnavale winning this really is an unpredictable evening.

Comment by briannord1 – September 22, 2013 06:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Don’t get me wrong I want Kerry Washington to win, but that whole set up discussing it before the best supporting actor in a drama thing was weird. Also super awkward if she doesn’t win later.

Comment by Kate – September 22, 2013 06:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Okay. Wait, what? Jeff Daniels? Really?

Comment by jimbo – September 22, 2013 06:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Seriously though. I liked Newsroom, but his performance was nowhere near Emmy-worth.

Comment by Sarah – September 22, 2013 06:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I LOVE Bobby Carnavale… Love him

Comment by Jackie H. – September 22, 2013 06:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m disappointed Aaron Paul was robbed as did Mandy Patinkin.

Comment by Flacco Kaepernick – September 22, 2013 06:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jeff Daniels earned every inch of that award! SO cool!

Comment by Slizabeth – September 22, 2013 06:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jeff Daniels! So happy. Love the Newsroom. We’ll deserved.

Comment by Cristina – September 22, 2013 06:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How could Bryan Cranston and Aaron Paul not win? Last season was awesome for them!!!

Comment by Jackie – September 22, 2013 06:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This is why the Emmys are a joke. If they weren’t, BB would be winning every award.

Comment by Timmah – September 22, 2013 06:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • There’s no possible way that they won’t win next year, when the final 8 episodes which have been and are currently airing can qualify. If Bryan Cranston, Aaron Paul and the whole show don’t win next year, something is definitely wrong. Breaking Bad is too good to describe right now. SO pumped for next week’s finale!

Comment by Jimmy – September 24, 2013 01:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What an upset. Jeff Daniels won. Bryan Cranston robbed again.

Comment by Flacco Kaepernick – September 22, 2013 06:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • What do you mean “robbed again”.. He won this award like 3 or 4 times already. He probably will win again next year. That’s what they get for “splitting” the final season. Jon Hamm has never win for Mad Men.

Comment by briannord1 – September 22, 2013 06:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Did you remember last year when Bryan Cranston loss to Damian Lewis?

Comment by Flacco Kaepernick – September 22, 2013 06:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Damian Lewis is at least on par with Cranston. Jeff Daniels…really?

Comment by Cheeky – September 22, 2013 08:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • that was my exact comment. Plus a couple of WTFs and Seriously?s.
            What a joke.

Comment by wi – September 23, 2013 12:33 AM PDT
      • Hamm *maybe* has a chance for MadMen 7.2 season, especially if Weiner gives him some heavy stuff for the end.

Comment by wi – September 23, 2013 12:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so happy for Jeff! He does brilliant work on Newsroom!

Comment by Thea – September 22, 2013 06:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh come on… Amy deserved it, this sucks :(

Comment by sara – September 22, 2013 06:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As I spent this morning binge watching the first 8 episodes of Breaking Bad, I am highly disappointed that Jonathan Banks did not win.

Comment by Elaine – September 22, 2013 06:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • So agree. Jonathan Banks definitely turned in a emmy worthy performance as Mike!

Comment by JBC – September 22, 2013 08:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Go Sheldon-Jim Parsons!!!!! Woohoo! Congratulations!

Comment by Dawn – September 22, 2013 06:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Shocked, but not upset about Bobby winning. Beyond shocked and not necessarily pleased with Jeff’s win. Blah on Claire Danes winning for a VERY up and down season (last year was more than deserving…this year, not so much).

Comment by Ron – September 22, 2013 06:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Homeland was very up and down this year I totally agree, but Q&A (the episode both she and Damien submitted) was pure brilliance. If you judge on a snapshot, that’s the best snapshot to have.

That being said I cannot make sense of this years Emmy awards. On one hand you have great wins (yay Tony Hale). On the other you pick MF for comedy (good show but nowhere near it’s peak and lesser than most if not all nominees IMO) and Jeff Daniels for Newsroom (now, I love that show and I love him in it, but no comparison when you look at what material he had vs. Jon or Bryan or Damien). Whatever. To each voter their own I guess.

Maybe next year all my dreams will come true and someone will finally give my girl crush Amy an award she’s long overdue for.

Comment by Ryan – September 22, 2013 08:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Now that Claire Danes, whom I hate, has won again. I can officially change the channel.

Comment by Nikki – September 22, 2013 06:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So happy for Carrie Preston. It’s a shame we couldn’t hear her acceptance speech.

Comment by abz – September 22, 2013 07:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I know, right? I can’t believe there’s not enough time allotment for major winners like that. But after seeing tonight’s unfortunate show and all the wasted time on other such boorring things, I won’t be tuning in again unless they can promise a major change. I’m happy for Carrie Preston too, not that she is undeserving, but look who she was up against!! – Diana Rigg, Linda Carellini, Joan Cusack, Margo Martindale, Jane Fonda. I would have liked to hear her acceptance speech just because of this crowd she was in with!

Comment by april-ann – September 22, 2013 08:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The Creative Arts Emmys were broadcast Saturday night on FXX.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – September 22, 2013 08:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • This may be a dumb question, but I thought that the Creative Arts Emmy Awards were different from the actual Emmy Awards. Does it mean that she only won the Creative Arts one only or did she win both that and the Emmy one as well? Is that why they didn’t show any of the Guest Actors.Actresses in Drama or Comedy accepting their awards tonight?

Comment by abz – September 22, 2013 09:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Creative Arts Emmys are by and large the more technical/fringier categories, and they hand out like 50 Emmys that night – that’s in addition to those awarded at main telecast.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – September 22, 2013 10:27 PM PDT
        • I know that, Matt. That was my point. I don’t get FXX – and even if I did, Saturday night?? And why would the handouts of major awards air in such a secondary spot anyway? Why even bother? If they can’t see their way clear to show fans what we want to see in the main primetime network telecast, why should we see our way clear to watch?

Comment by april-ann – September 22, 2013 09:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A repeat win for Claire Danes. Kerry Washington will win next year or perhaps Vera Farmiga.

Comment by Flacco Kaepernick – September 22, 2013 07:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jeff Daniels for Newsroom, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, and Tony Hale, these make me happy. Though really, I also favored Kevin Spacey. Love that Carrie Preston won in the Creative Arts Awards! (oh and Jim Parsons AGAIN!). Comedy writing – should have gone to The Daily Show.

Comment by Bobbie – September 22, 2013 07:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post