Emmys

Emmy Winners 2013: Breaking Bad and Modern Family Score Top Honors, Claire Danes Repeats, HBO and Candelabra Dominate

Emmy Winners ListThe 65th Primetime Emmy Awards were handed out Sunday night in Los Angeles, and HBO was this year’s big winner, amassing 27 total trophies.

Fueling the pay cabler’s success was 11 total gold grabs by its Behind the Candelabra telepic, including an honor for co-lead Michael Douglas. Boardwalk Empire added to HBO’s haul with five wins, while Veep‘s Julia Louis-Dreyfus and Tony Hale took home statues as well.

CBS placed a distant second at this year’s Emmys with 16 total wins, most of which came at the Creative Arts ceremony held Sept. 15. The Eye’s biggest prize-winner was The Big Bang Theory and its three wins, including for lead actor Jim Parsons.

In the night’s two biggest races, the first half of Breaking Bad‘s final season earned best drama honors, while ABC’s Modern Family claimed the top comedy prize.

FX’s American Horror Story went into Emmy season with the most nominations — 17 total — but only converted on two of them. Similarly, HBO’s Game of Thrones went 2-for-16.

Among broadcast network fare, NBC’s Saturday Night Live fared best with four total wins.

RELATED | Emmys Poll: Did the ‘Hosts of Emmys Past’ Save Neil Patrick Harris’ Lackluster Opening?

The complete list of nominees is here. Review the list of winners and tell us which please you most!

Outstanding Drama Series | Breaking Bad
Lead Actor In A Drama Series | Jeff Daniels, The Newsroom
Lead Actress In A Drama Series | Claire Danes, Homeland (2012 WINNER)
Supporting Actor In A Drama Series | Bobby Cannavale, Boardwalk Empire
Supporting Actress In A Drama Series | Anna Gunn, Breaking Bad
Writing in a Drama Series | Homeland
Directing in a Drama Series | House of Cards

Outstanding Comedy Series | Modern Family
Lead Actor In A Comedy Series | Jim Parsons, The Big Bang Theory
Lead Actress In A Comedy Series | Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Veep (2012 WINNER)
Supporting Actor In A Comedy Series | Tony Hale, Veep
Supporting Actress In A Comedy Series | Merritt Wever, Nurse Jackie
Writing in a Comedy Series | 30 Rock
Directing in a Comedy Series | Modern Family

Outstanding Miniseries or Movie | Behind the Candelabra
Lead Actor In A Miniseries Or A Movie | Michael Douglas, Behind the Candelabra
Lead Actress In A Miniseries Or A Movie | Laura Linney, The Big C: hereafter
Supporting Actor In A Miniseries Or A Movie | James Cromwell, American Horror Story: Asylum
Supporting Actress In A Miniseries Or A Movie | Ellen Burstyn, Political Animals
Writing in a Miniseries or Movie | The Hour
Directing in a Miniseries or Movie | Behind the Candelabra

Outstanding Variety, Music Or Comedy Series | The Colbert Report
Writing in a Variety, Music Or Comedy Series | The Colbert Report
Directing in a Variety, Music Or Comedy Series | Saturday Night Live

Outstanding Reality – Competition Program | The Voice

Choreography | Dancing With the Stars, Derek Hough

Plus, select highlights from the Creative Arts Emmys held Sept. 15….

Guest Actress In A Comedy Series | Melissa Leo, Louie
Guest Actor In A Comedy Series | Bob Newhart The Big Bang Theory
Guest Actor In A Drama Series | Dan Bucatinsky, Scandal
Guest Actress In A Drama Series | Carrie Preston, The Good Wife
Host For A Reality Or Reality-Competition Program | Heidi Klum and Tim Gunn, Project Runway
Reality Program | Undercover Boss
Casting For a Drama Series | House of Cards
Casting For A Comedy Series | 30 Rock
Casting For A Miniseries, Movie Or A Special | Behind the Candelabra

1. Amy says:

Woah – wouldn’t have thought “Merritt Weaver let me down” would ever cross my mind. Speech, girl!

2. briannord1 says:

We have a surprise!!! What a great way to start!!

3. Wouter says:

Yay for Merritt Wever! That girl definitely deserves some recognition.

4. JBS says:

Not only a surprise win, but probably the best speech of the night, all in the first 30 minutes.

5. Sara says:

I am so unbelievably excited Merritt Wever won! She is amazing on that show. Also, best speech ever! Poor thing was clearly completely overwhelmed.

6. Nikki says:

Meh…I wish ANYONE else would have won.

7. erin says:

Aaaah! First award got it right! So happy for Merritt!

8. analog says:

Yay 30 Rock for Writing! Sad Jane lost!

9. Nikki says:

Strike two…can we please give network shows some love????

• KD says:

Congrats to Modern Family, Jim Parsons, 30 Rock, DWTS, the Voice and all the network shows that won/were nominated.

• Pennagirl says:

Totally agree. Most of the winners are not on standard network shows. Watching the Emmys is not enjoyable for that reason; can’t afford those other channels. Did anything from PBS win?

• KD says:

The Emmys keeps becoming less and less enjoyable to those of us without cable. Since most of the shows nominated are cable shows, I’m surprised network channels still host the awards show.

• JBC says:

I was just thinking that I wish they would have separate award shows for network and cable. It’s funny because I do have cable but don’t have any pay channels like HBO and Showtime so that makes it less enjoyable for me, when those shows are nominated.. I guess what it comes down to is the Show Biz Industry honoring their own in whatever venue they work in.

• Bad Samaritan says:

I have cable too, and I hate it! I’d go antenna only in a second if I had any real selection, like those people in the cities. The Emmys has gotten worse every year. I don’t even watch it anymore. I just read the winners on sites like this one.
            I am happy for Jim Parsons, though. Sheldon’s funny as hell, it’s about time he won finally!

• Guy Brent says:

Can we have something besides all this reality crap…so sick of Dancing with the Stars, The Voice, Survivor, America Has Talent, etc etc!!

10. ggny says:

EMMY ARE FINALLY CHANGING IT UP. THANK YOU.

11. JBS says:

First Merritt Wever, now Tony Hale? Wow. I’m impressed so far.

12. Eddie says:

…Anyone else happy that MF HAVENT won yet?? Sounds terrible… But true

• JBS says:

Normally, I’d say no. But considering who has won so far, yeah I kind of am.

• Taylor says:

As much as I love Modern Family, I’m also glad that Modern Family hasn’t won any awards so far this year. I just feel like season four wasn’t good enough to be deserving of winning a bunch of awards like it did for the first three seasons of the show.

• april-ann says:

I agree. I really like it, too, but just don’t think it’s as deserving this year as it may have been in the past, or as deserving as some of the other nominees. But the night is young.

• Taylor says:

…And I stand corrected. They won the award for best directing for a comedy series. At least the episode that Modern Family won the award for was one of my favorite episodes of the season, “Arrested”.

13. apirl-ann says:

I’d never heard of Merritt Weaver before but I’m a fan now just because of her acceptance non-speech. LOL! Brilliant.

14. Ron says:

Merritt actually would have been my last pick, but I appreciated her speech…or lack thereof. Saved a couple minutes. Surprised, but pleasantly so, with Tony’s win. I’ve wanted him to win for AD for years now (how he was never nominated for that show is beyond me). I actually find him way better in AD than in Veep, but I’m just pretending his win is for AD. Happy for him. (I would have liked to see Jason Bateman’s reaction, though.)

15. Alice says:

Aww come on! Amy Peohler should have won.

• Ron says:

I like Julia, and I thought her speech with Tony was hysterical. But I agree. It should have been Amy’s. I think Julia is great in Veep, but Amy has been consistently great since season one. I’m beginning to think she’ll never win. I’d like to know what it will take for her to win if she hasn’t won yet.

16. Alice says:

Ha ha, Anna Chlumsky caught texting

17. May says:

Hoping Jeff Daniels wins tonight! On another note, is Jessica Lange wearing the same dress Jane Fonda wore in a Newsroom episode a few weeks ago?

18. JBS says:

Now people will be pissed off (I’m not, though.) You deserve it Jim.

19. april-ann says:

Nothing more predictable than Jim and Julia. But it’s deserved.

20. april-ann says:

Hey, Matt, would it be possible and/or easy to link a list of the nominees with this article?

21. Eddie says:

Blerg. I was really happy until Jim & to a lesser extent Julia won. Alec, Louis & Don are all more deserving. Especially considering the quality of their shows compared to TBBT. I wouldn’t mind Julia had she A) Not won last year B) Amy should have beaten her.

22. Thea says:

I love Kaley’s reaction anytime Jim wins something. They (and the entire cast of BBT) are beyond adorable.

23. Sara says:

I am annoyed that they keep cutting the winners off so that they could allow Elton John to sing a song that had NOTHING to do with Liberace. Don’t get me wrong, I usually love Elton John, but what a waste of time.

• abz says:

Agreed. I could’ve done without the performance period. It could’ve given the winner an extra few seconds to finish up their speeches.

• Ruby says:

Seriously. The “middle of the show” musical number could have been axed too. It really irritates me that they are so disrespectful of the winners and then use the extra time for filler that nobody wants or cares about.

24. briannord1 says:

Laura Linney? Really? …. Really??? I guess no one bothered to watch Top of the Lake… These awards are all over the place… That is a good thing. I am enjoying the surprises even if I disagree

• Ron says:

I don’t mind all over the place. I do mind all over the place when it’s in the wrong direction. I REALLY like Laura, but it should have been Elisabeth Moss.

• Thea says:

Agreed, should’ve been Moss.

• Cheeky says:

My reaction too! Definitely thought Moss, or maybe even Weaver was going to win…but Laura Linney?!

• april-ann says:

Laura Linney is a wonderful actress. With what/whom she was up against was it deserved? I don’t know. I don’t watch that. About Elizabeth Moss. Just like when it comes to the Oscars, voters may be turned off by the scientology factor. I know I am.

• Ruby says:

Top of the Lake was robbed in every category, but ESPECIALLY lead actress. Clearly “the academy” or whoever votes for these things didn’t watch the movie because it was tremendous and Elisabeth Moss is the CLEAR winner.

• Bobby says:

Laura Linney was seriously incredible in the final short season of The Big C, so I don’t think it’s really anything to be astonished over. It does suck she wasn’t there to accept it though.

25. Ron says:

Sooooo, would anybody please like to explain to me what the purpose of having Elton John was? I’m being honest, I really don’t know. Because from my perspective, it served no purpose for TV.

26. CK says:

I missed the first 30 minutes, but am I the only one beyond tired of the mini in memoriam segments already? It’s just messing up the emotional flow. Laughs ->somber speech -> laughs -> elton john song…

• Alice says:

The Modern Family (sigh- again?) acceptance speech said it best “The Saddest Emmy’s Ever.” I just thought the whole idea of having selected mini-memoriams was disrespectful to everyone else who didn’t get singled out for the attention. They all, presumably, had funerals where people talked about them- the Emmy’s isn’t the place for a mini-eulogy.

27. Better luck next year Amy Poehler :-(

28. Ron says:

Huzzah for Anna. Probably the first decision of the night that I 100% agree with.

• Joey says:

I think out of those that got nominations, definitely right on with Anna.

Still think that Michelle Fairley should have been nominated and won though.

29. RIP Henry Bromell. Did someone accept the Emmy on his behalf?

30. Stephanie says:

RIP Cory, the Gleeks love and miss you like crazy

31. abz says:

Seriously, Neil Patrick Harris always does an amazing job hostng these award shows. Loved that number. Definitely wasn’t expecting Nathan Fillion and Sarah Silverman showing up.. Even though I love Ellen Degeneres, I’d much rather have NPH hosting the Oscars next year.

32. briannord1 says:

Ok with Bobby Carnavale winning this really is an unpredictable evening.

33. Kate says:

Don’t get me wrong I want Kerry Washington to win, but that whole set up discussing it before the best supporting actor in a drama thing was weird. Also super awkward if she doesn’t win later.

34. jimbo says:

Okay. Wait, what? Jeff Daniels? Really?

35. Jackie H. says:

I LOVE Bobby Carnavale… Love him

36. I’m disappointed Aaron Paul was robbed as did Mandy Patinkin.

37. Slizabeth says:

Jeff Daniels earned every inch of that award! SO cool!

38. Cristina says:

Jeff Daniels! So happy. Love the Newsroom. We’ll deserved.

39. Jackie says:

How could Bryan Cranston and Aaron Paul not win? Last season was awesome for them!!!

• Timmah says:

This is why the Emmys are a joke. If they weren’t, BB would be winning every award.

• Jimmy says:

There’s no possible way that they won’t win next year, when the final 8 episodes which have been and are currently airing can qualify. If Bryan Cranston, Aaron Paul and the whole show don’t win next year, something is definitely wrong. Breaking Bad is too good to describe right now. SO pumped for next week’s finale!

40. What an upset. Jeff Daniels won. Bryan Cranston robbed again.

41. Thea says:

I’m so happy for Jeff! He does brilliant work on Newsroom!

42. sara says:

Oh come on… Amy deserved it, this sucks :(

43. Elaine says:

As I spent this morning binge watching the first 8 episodes of Breaking Bad, I am highly disappointed that Jonathan Banks did not win.

44. Dawn says:

Go Sheldon-Jim Parsons!!!!! Woohoo! Congratulations!

45. Ron says:

Shocked, but not upset about Bobby winning. Beyond shocked and not necessarily pleased with Jeff’s win. Blah on Claire Danes winning for a VERY up and down season (last year was more than deserving…this year, not so much).

• Ryan says:

Homeland was very up and down this year I totally agree, but Q&A (the episode both she and Damien submitted) was pure brilliance. If you judge on a snapshot, that’s the best snapshot to have.

That being said I cannot make sense of this years Emmy awards. On one hand you have great wins (yay Tony Hale). On the other you pick MF for comedy (good show but nowhere near it’s peak and lesser than most if not all nominees IMO) and Jeff Daniels for Newsroom (now, I love that show and I love him in it, but no comparison when you look at what material he had vs. Jon or Bryan or Damien). Whatever. To each voter their own I guess.

Maybe next year all my dreams will come true and someone will finally give my girl crush Amy an award she’s long overdue for.

46. Nikki says:

Now that Claire Danes, whom I hate, has won again. I can officially change the channel.

47. abz says:

So happy for Carrie Preston. It’s a shame we couldn’t hear her acceptance speech.

• april-ann says:

I know, right? I can’t believe there’s not enough time allotment for major winners like that. But after seeing tonight’s unfortunate show and all the wasted time on other such boorring things, I won’t be tuning in again unless they can promise a major change. I’m happy for Carrie Preston too, not that she is undeserving, but look who she was up against!! – Diana Rigg, Linda Carellini, Joan Cusack, Margo Martindale, Jane Fonda. I would have liked to hear her acceptance speech just because of this crowd she was in with!

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

The Creative Arts Emmys were broadcast Saturday night on FXX.

• abz says:

This may be a dumb question, but I thought that the Creative Arts Emmy Awards were different from the actual Emmy Awards. Does it mean that she only won the Creative Arts one only or did she win both that and the Emmy one as well? Is that why they didn’t show any of the Guest Actors.Actresses in Drama or Comedy accepting their awards tonight?

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Creative Arts Emmys are by and large the more technical/fringier categories, and they hand out like 50 Emmys that night – that’s in addition to those awarded at main telecast.

• april-ann says:

I know that, Matt. That was my point. I don’t get FXX – and even if I did, Saturday night?? And why would the handouts of major awards air in such a secondary spot anyway? Why even bother? If they can’t see their way clear to show fans what we want to see in the main primetime network telecast, why should we see our way clear to watch?

48. A repeat win for Claire Danes. Kerry Washington will win next year or perhaps Vera Farmiga.

49. Bobbie says:

Jeff Daniels for Newsroom, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, and Tony Hale, these make me happy. Though really, I also favored Kevin Spacey. Love that Carrie Preston won in the Creative Arts Awards! (oh and Jim Parsons AGAIN!). Comedy writing – should have gone to The Daily Show.