TVLine's Performer of the Week: The Little Actresses Playing Breaking Bad's Holly

Elanor Anne Wenrich Breaking BadA weekly feature in which we spotlight shining stars

THE PERFORMER The adorable girls playing Holly

THE SHOW | Breaking Bad

THE EPISODE | “Ozymandias”

THE AIRDATE | Sept. 15, 2013

RELATED | ‘Big’ News About Breaking Bad‘s Final 2 Episodes

THE PERFORMANCE | We don’t care that one of the most touching moments in this week’s episode was unscripted. We don’t care that the actress involved wasn’t, in the technical sense, “acting.” All we care about is that when Walt had a crisis of conscience over taking his young daughter Holly away from the life she’d known, a way-way-in-the-future Emmy-winner felt something and went with it. Her repeated, pathetic cries for “Mama” nearly did us in.

(Though the Internet Movie Database lists the role of Holly as belonging to Elanor Anne Wenrich, an AMC spokesperson tells TVLine that two actresses played the part in the episode. The rep declined to provide the girls’ names.)

The pint-sized actress in that scene fit right in with her castmates, many of whom turned in career-milestone performances during the disturbing hour. In fact, much of the bathroom scene’s success can be attributed to Bryan Cranston, who used his tiny co-star’s impromptu improv to make Walt’s anguish even more gripping.

The actresses may not remember a thing about this job when they get older. But we’ll have a tough time forgetting their part in Bad‘s epic final episodes.

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Performer of the Week

• Sam says:

I feel like this is such a slap in the face t this column and this great episode. This is an absolute joke and I don’t think I can ever take you seriously again

• J says:

Only if you miss the point, that she is symbolic of the fact that literally every member of the cast “won” this column. Ozymandias was in a league of its own.

1. Ryan T says:

Underrated.

2. Josh says:

She’s supposedly a giant diva. Only works a few hours a day, sleeps the rest, and has people feed her. Someone is clearly on the path to be the next Miley Cyrus. Get it together girl!

3. Mamamamama
    Popopopopopopopopop
    Snap

4. leysha says:

You should have mentioned the bit where she hides from the fireman at the end. Heartbreaking.

5. jss0058 says:

Really? I mean I know it’s all in good fun, but you give it to someone who a.) can’t even appreciate it (and I know I’ve seen a few of the other actors honored as performer of the week mention it on twitter) b.) wasn’t even acting.

With some new shows debuting this past week there were plenty of other opportunities to highlight somone else. Yes last week’s Breaking Bad was AMAZING, but there was no reason to reach this far to try and find a way to honor it.

• David4 says:

Do you really think the actors on Breaking Bad will come to this site and care if they were picked or not? Breaking Bad people will get nominated for every award on Earth, but I’m sure they care they didn’t win some useless “award” on the internet.

• Jss0058 says:

Never said anything about the other actors from Breaking Bad…I’m referring to other actors on other shows. Like last year when Parker Stephens was mentioned he made a point to say he was honored on twitter and a couple others mentioned on twitter last year too. Everyone likes to receive special attention for their work.

I’m not hating on a baby…I’m just saying it should have probably gone to someone who was actually intentionally performing. But like I said in my original comment I do realize it’s all in good fun was just making my own point.

• Name one other show that aired this week that comes even close to any of the regular performers on Breaking Bad. I can’t. Not Dexter. Ray Donovan is a step up, but no. Business as usual on Bones. Same with all the comedies. Maybe TVLine is shaming other shows by doing this.

• DanielleZ says:

There are other shows out there?

• David4 says:

This is TVLine, a silly little TV news site. It’s not an awards show or anything.

There were no other shows on this week that would have had a single person that could have won against Breaking Bad. it was either the baby, which is cute, fun and different, or the whole cast of Breaking Bad.

And I have no clue who Parker Stephens is. This TVline award is great when it goes to small shows that will never get a chance to win, but we are still in the off season and this is still a silly “award”.

Lighten up.

• Sara says:

I think I saw Dean Norris mention his award on twitter a few weeks ago

6. Cfolliot says:

Wow, people are trolling babies now, got to love the internet comment sections.

7. Wrstlgirl says:

I read how that happened and it was truly amazing and great acting by Cranston to seize the moment. I don’t understand these negative comments. For something like this to happen is what makes television great!

8. Tony says:

Lol. Some folks need to get a sense humor.

Further, I find that the moment being unscripted just further adds to the lore of that will surround this episode. Its really one of those moments that sticks with you well after the first viewing. As a new dad, I sort of felt the heartbreak behind that scene (and the firetruck scene) a bit more.

9. Mandy says:

Lol. I thought she was awesome.

10. To be fair, there wasn’t a lot going on in the performance department this week outside of Breaking Bad and nearly every cast member of the show has already been chosen already, some more than once. Ozymandias is absolutely Bryan Cranston’s Emmy submission for next year and he’ll probably get another one of these in a week or two.

11. Jerri says:

Out of curiosity, do you TVLine guys watch shows other than Breaking Bad?

12. Sara says:

YES! I mentioned in the recap that she deserves an Emmy

13. Spoiler Junkie says:

The episode until that point had been one intensity punch after the other. Each and every actor turned in a top notch performance but as soon as the baby cried out ‘mama’ repeatedly, my tears started to flow at the tragic destruction of the White and Schrader families.

14. Mel says:

Whether or not that sweet baby girl was acting or not, we all felt that parental heartbreak. It was touching and memorable and, well maybe she shouldn’t be the “official performer of the week” (it’s all subjective anyway), it was a nice nod to the moment.

15. Eddie says:

I am officially starting the “Holly White Emmy Campaign 2014″

16. Alan says:

i fully support this. that moment is what sent my emotions over the edge of the cliff and caused me to start crying, and this is coming from someone who never cries over anything like this. i do feel that rj mitte deserved a mention as well though because he was fantastic throughout the episode and he is just about the only one who hasnt gotten the recognition everyone involved with the show deserves.

17. DanielleZ says:

“Holly” was great. Well deserved recognition.

18. Ever says:

According to Vince Gilligan, the child’s mother was literally 4 feet away from where they were shooting. She kept looking at her actual mother and kept calling out for her, because she was right there. Bryan went with it and it came out brilliantly.

19. Lynda M says:

i liked the way her lip poked out and how she hid when the fireman found her in the truck.

• khudson110 says:

That baby was NOT the same baby as the baby saying “mama”. The baby in the fire truck was the main baby they used for Holly and most of the other scenes.

20. jrod says:

Eleanor was the baby in the momma scene. The baby in the fire truck(and most of the other scenes) was the other actress they have been primarily using for these last episodes. Her name is Moira Bryg MacDonald.

21. MLO says:

Holy F!! Would everyone lay off Dexter. Every bloody article I read has someone in the comments harping about the Dexter ending. Accept it and move on.

22. Chianobx says:

Traumatize a baby for a few bucks and pray the child don’t remember all the violent grown people screaming around her that’s entertainment for ya.. Smh..

23. One PCWhiz says:

Her “performance” was good, but it was the situation that made it so touching.