TVLine's Performer of the Week: The Little Actresses Playing Breaking Bad's Holly

Elanor Anne Wenrich Breaking BadA weekly feature in which we spotlight shining stars

THE PERFORMER The adorable girls playing Holly

THE SHOW | Breaking Bad

THE EPISODE | “Ozymandias”

THE AIRDATE | Sept. 15, 2013

RELATED | ‘Big’ News About Breaking Bad‘s Final 2 Episodes

THE PERFORMANCE | We don’t care that one of the most touching moments in this week’s episode was unscripted. We don’t care that the actress involved wasn’t, in the technical sense, “acting.” All we care about is that when Walt had a crisis of conscience over taking his young daughter Holly away from the life she’d known, a way-way-in-the-future Emmy-winner felt something and went with it. Her repeated, pathetic cries for “Mama” nearly did us in.

(Though the Internet Movie Database lists the role of Holly as belonging to Elanor Anne Wenrich, an AMC spokesperson tells TVLine that two actresses played the part in the episode. The rep declined to provide the girls’ names.)

The pint-sized actress in that scene fit right in with her castmates, many of whom turned in career-milestone performances during the disturbing hour. In fact, much of the bathroom scene’s success can be attributed to Bryan Cranston, who used his tiny co-star’s impromptu improv to make Walt’s anguish even more gripping.

The actresses may not remember a thing about this job when they get older. But we’ll have a tough time forgetting their part in Bad‘s epic final episodes.

Comments (41)

• Overrated

Comment by Alex Green (@docAlextor) – September 21, 2013 07:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I feel like this is such a slap in the face t this column and this great episode. This is an absolute joke and I don’t think I can ever take you seriously again

Comment by Sam – September 21, 2013 04:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Only if you miss the point, that she is symbolic of the fact that literally every member of the cast “won” this column. Ozymandias was in a league of its own.

Comment by J – September 22, 2013 07:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Underrated.

Comment by Ryan T – September 21, 2013 07:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She’s supposedly a giant diva. Only works a few hours a day, sleeps the rest, and has people feed her. Someone is clearly on the path to be the next Miley Cyrus. Get it together girl!

Comment by Josh – September 21, 2013 07:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • HAHAHAHA

Comment by Sara – September 21, 2013 10:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Why is there no like button? – yes I am talking to YOU Team TV Line! What’s up with that? Anyway, thanks for the laugh Josh!

Comment by Mel – September 21, 2013 11:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Funniest thing I’ve read all day. Thank you dear josh for adding some much needed laughter in this long day.

Comment by koikuro – September 21, 2013 02:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • lol

Comment by Julie Pham – September 21, 2013 09:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mamamamama
    Popopopopopopopopop
    Snap

Comment by TigerNightmare – September 21, 2013 07:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You should have mentioned the bit where she hides from the fireman at the end. Heartbreaking.

Comment by leysha – September 21, 2013 08:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh my God, yes. I thought the cries for “mama” were bad, but then she kept turning her head away from the fireman and I almost lost it. I don’t like seeing little ones in distress, or away from their parents. :( Heartbreaking indeed.

Comment by Drew Herring (@drewjherring) – September 26, 2013 07:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Really? I mean I know it’s all in good fun, but you give it to someone who a.) can’t even appreciate it (and I know I’ve seen a few of the other actors honored as performer of the week mention it on twitter) b.) wasn’t even acting.

With some new shows debuting this past week there were plenty of other opportunities to highlight somone else. Yes last week’s Breaking Bad was AMAZING, but there was no reason to reach this far to try and find a way to honor it.

Comment by jss0058 – September 21, 2013 08:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Do you really think the actors on Breaking Bad will come to this site and care if they were picked or not? Breaking Bad people will get nominated for every award on Earth, but I’m sure they care they didn’t win some useless “award” on the internet.

Comment by David4 – September 21, 2013 08:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Never said anything about the other actors from Breaking Bad…I’m referring to other actors on other shows. Like last year when Parker Stephens was mentioned he made a point to say he was honored on twitter and a couple others mentioned on twitter last year too. Everyone likes to receive special attention for their work.

I’m not hating on a baby…I’m just saying it should have probably gone to someone who was actually intentionally performing. But like I said in my original comment I do realize it’s all in good fun was just making my own point.

Comment by Jss0058 – September 21, 2013 12:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Name one other show that aired this week that comes even close to any of the regular performers on Breaking Bad. I can’t. Not Dexter. Ray Donovan is a step up, but no. Business as usual on Bones. Same with all the comedies. Maybe TVLine is shaming other shows by doing this.

Comment by TigerNightmare – September 21, 2013 12:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Man, Dexter. That show really fell off the treadmill this year.

Comment by Floodlit World – September 21, 2013 04:17 PM PDT
        • There are other shows out there?

Comment by DanielleZ – September 21, 2013 01:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • This is TVLine, a silly little TV news site. It’s not an awards show or anything.

There were no other shows on this week that would have had a single person that could have won against Breaking Bad. it was either the baby, which is cute, fun and different, or the whole cast of Breaking Bad.

And I have no clue who Parker Stephens is. This TVline award is great when it goes to small shows that will never get a chance to win, but we are still in the off season and this is still a silly “award”.

Lighten up.

Comment by David4 – September 21, 2013 03:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Yeah I’m the one that needs to lighten up….

Comment by Jss0058 – September 21, 2013 04:33 PM PDT
      • I think I saw Dean Norris mention his award on twitter a few weeks ago

Comment by Sara – September 21, 2013 12:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow, people are trolling babies now, got to love the internet comment sections.

Comment by Cfolliot – September 21, 2013 08:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I read how that happened and it was truly amazing and great acting by Cranston to seize the moment. I don’t understand these negative comments. For something like this to happen is what makes television great!

Comment by Wrstlgirl – September 21, 2013 08:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lol. Some folks need to get a sense humor.

Further, I find that the moment being unscripted just further adds to the lore of that will surround this episode. Its really one of those moments that sticks with you well after the first viewing. As a new dad, I sort of felt the heartbreak behind that scene (and the firetruck scene) a bit more.

Comment by Tony – September 21, 2013 09:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lol. I thought she was awesome.

Comment by Mandy – September 21, 2013 10:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • To be fair, there wasn’t a lot going on in the performance department this week outside of Breaking Bad and nearly every cast member of the show has already been chosen already, some more than once. Ozymandias is absolutely Bryan Cranston’s Emmy submission for next year and he’ll probably get another one of these in a week or two.

Comment by TigerNightmare – September 21, 2013 10:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Out of curiosity, do you TVLine guys watch shows other than Breaking Bad?

Comment by Jerri – September 21, 2013 10:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No and neither should you.

Comment by Elf – September 21, 2013 10:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • There are no other shows.

Comment by Dick Whitman – September 21, 2013 01:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YES! I mentioned in the recap that she deserves an Emmy

Comment by Sara – September 21, 2013 10:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The episode until that point had been one intensity punch after the other. Each and every actor turned in a top notch performance but as soon as the baby cried out ‘mama’ repeatedly, my tears started to flow at the tragic destruction of the White and Schrader families.

Comment by Spoiler Junkie – September 21, 2013 11:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Whether or not that sweet baby girl was acting or not, we all felt that parental heartbreak. It was touching and memorable and, well maybe she shouldn’t be the “official performer of the week” (it’s all subjective anyway), it was a nice nod to the moment.

Comment by Mel – September 21, 2013 11:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am officially starting the “Holly White Emmy Campaign 2014″

Comment by Eddie – September 21, 2013 12:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i fully support this. that moment is what sent my emotions over the edge of the cliff and caused me to start crying, and this is coming from someone who never cries over anything like this. i do feel that rj mitte deserved a mention as well though because he was fantastic throughout the episode and he is just about the only one who hasnt gotten the recognition everyone involved with the show deserves.

Comment by Alan – September 21, 2013 12:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “Holly” was great. Well deserved recognition.

Comment by DanielleZ – September 21, 2013 01:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • According to Vince Gilligan, the child’s mother was literally 4 feet away from where they were shooting. She kept looking at her actual mother and kept calling out for her, because she was right there. Bryan went with it and it came out brilliantly.

Comment by Ever – September 21, 2013 05:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i liked the way her lip poked out and how she hid when the fireman found her in the truck.

Comment by Lynda M – September 22, 2013 06:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That baby was NOT the same baby as the baby saying “mama”. The baby in the fire truck was the main baby they used for Holly and most of the other scenes.

Comment by khudson110 – September 24, 2013 04:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Eleanor was the baby in the momma scene. The baby in the fire truck(and most of the other scenes) was the other actress they have been primarily using for these last episodes. Her name is Moira Bryg MacDonald.

Comment by jrod – September 22, 2013 09:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hallaelujah!!!!! Someone finally credited “Mo” with her part in Breaking Bad. Moira was the main “Baby Holly”

Comment by flowergirl – September 24, 2013 04:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Holy F!! Would everyone lay off Dexter. Every bloody article I read has someone in the comments harping about the Dexter ending. Accept it and move on.

Comment by MLO – September 30, 2013 01:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post