Super Fun Switcheroo: ABC's Rebel Wilson Comedy to Open With Episode 2

Super Fun Night Premiere ChangeSuper fun fact: ABC’s new, Rebel Wilson-starring comedy will bow with its second episode instead of its pilot.

Super Fun Night was set to debut on Wednesday, Oct. 2 (9:30/8:30c) with a half hour that introduces Kimmie (Aussie comedienne Wilson) and her two socially awkward friends, who spend every Friday night engaged in dorky fun at home. When a job promotion prompts Kimmie to explore the nightlife outside her apartment, uncomfortable hijinks ensue.

RELATEDFall TV Preview: TVLine’s Snapshot Preview of All the New Shows

Instead, the Oct. 2 episode will chronicle the ladies’ trip to a piano bar, where Kimmie will try to overcome her biggest fear: singing in public. Wilson’s Bridesmaids‘ co-star Matt Lucas (Little Britain) guest-stars.

Though no reason was given for the switch, ABC is perhaps responding to the pilot’s unfavorable reviews — including multiple “Must Flee”s in the Season 3 premiere of  Spoiler Alert!.

1. Jinjeon says:

Didn’t the same happened to “Freddie” (starring Freddie Prinze Jr.) couple of years ago? They started with second episode and showed the pilot as last only after the show was canceled.

2. Lack of faith in the pilot. Disturbing. Most disturbing.

• DarkDefender says:

A misguided attempt to reel in the Pitch Perfect crowd.. And I am guessing it will be Firefly all over again (airing episodes out of order and canceling it before here is a chance to build a fan base).

Too bad.. I think she is hilarious.

3. One of the worst new sitcoms of the season. Rebel Wilson should go back doing movies.

• Mel says:

How do you know? Have you seen an episode, or just the trailer? Now I can honestly say I did watch the first episode of Dad’s, and a preview of episode 2, and I can categorically say, that Dad’s is the worst sitcom of the season.

4. Steven says:

Same thing happened to Firefly. Quick cancellation is expected.

• Lazarus Long says:

The one thing about Firefly, they still have a fan base 10+ years later who would watch a new series in a heartbeat. Firefly failed because the suits didn’t get it, not the fans.
      You can’t stop the signal!

5. Andy says:

Couldn’t ABC just not air any of the episodes while they’re at it?

6. Tricia says:

Well this upsets me, Rebel Wilson deserves better than this. But she’ll get her due soon enough.

7. Dave says:

Well it’s good to know ABC thinks this show is a winner. Glad they canceled Happy Endings to make room for it.

• chad says:

ABC aired the first season of Happy Endings out of order, it’s good to know they thought that show was a winner. Glad they canceled Better Off Ted to make room for it.

8. Zach says:

This show is exponentially worse than Dads. What’s amazing is Conan O’Brien apparently co-created it. Was he drunk when they wrote the script?

• Miss Priss says:

You haven’t actually seen it, and yet it’s worse than Dads? Superfun borrows heavily from Miranda Hart show and Ugly Betty so I’ll give it whirl.

• Zach says:

I did indeed see it. I was at a test screening. It was really bad. Keegan-Michael Key made an amusing cameo, but that was basically the only good part.

• Ann says:

Perhaps what you saw was their pilot, which critics have ripped…which is the reason why ABC is choosing to air the second episode first, since it’s probably better.

• Zach says:

Yes, what I did see was the pilot. However, I highly doubt it is going to improve. The cast didn’t have very good chemistry, and there weren’t many areas for improvement. I could be wrong. But I don’t think so.

9. Sam says:

Not a good sign. When was the last time a show that started with episode 2 ended up being a success? And none of the trailers looked funny at all.

Yap! Trophy Wife is bound for Wednesdays at 9:30 p.m.

• Cort says:

That would be perfect. Saw Trophy Wife and unexpectedly fell for it immediately. It seems like a much better fit for that 9:30 post MF slot.

10. B says:

They cancelled Ugly Betty for THIS?

11. cjeffery7 says:

rebel deserves better, but i guess we’ll see how it all goes.

12. Ron says:

I’ll definitely be taking a pass on this show. Horrible reviews thus far, the trailer was horrendous and not funny at all, and not the episode switch. Essentially ABC doesn’t have any faith in the pilot to actually air it. That’s very telling for the future of this show. It disappoints me so that shows like this get picked up, yet ABC cancelled Happy Endings. I understand it wasn’t a ratings smash, but it was a critical darling with an immensely talented cast. And it could have done well in the ratings if ABC didn’t move it around to different timeslots and days every other episode. With blunders like this, ABC better watch out, or they’ll become the next NBC.

13. David says:

So this means we’ll get Suburgatory back early with a full season order when they cancel this right?

14. Ever says:

Watching the promo for this show made me feel so uncomfortable, I couldn’t handle it. Probably not a good sign because I rarely get offended or feel weird about such things.

15. emor says:

If you have seen the promo where the cast sings ‘Don’t stop me now’ by Queen, it totally makes you want to watch the show. Then you see the pilot and go…Wha’ppen?? So it makes total sense to air an episode about singing, to tie into the AWSOME promo. Go find the promo you’ll LOVE IT!!

16. Alan says:

if the pilot is so bad that they wont even air it then how did they think it was a good idea to give it a pickup? sounds like a really bad, throwing good money after bad situation.

• Matt says:

that’s what I’m saying – with the INSANE amount of work and thought that goes into deciding what pilots get picked up, I just don’t get how some of these shows make it to series. No show is for “everyone” but damn, *someone* has to like it, and some of these new shows are just getting DESTROYED in every review. I’m a big McFarlane fan but Dads looks awful, and then there’s “Moms” on CBS w/ Anna Faris… wtf is that? I also think Crazy Ones looks terrible but I’m not a Robin Williams fan so that could just be bias.

Who knows. I loved Happy Endings, Apt. 23, Ben and Kate… all gone in favor of this crap

17. Brooke says:

Because that worked so well for Firefly.

18. Maybe they should it SUPER BAD IDEA OF A SITCOM NIGHT or SUPER CANCELLATION NIGHT.

19. David4 says:

The Neighbors pilot was horrible so maybe it gets better?

They really should just rethink the whole thing and have Trophy Wife on Wednesdays.

20. Ari says:

Why doesn’t ABC just say, ” We have no faith in this show, don’t watch it. We will cancel it by Christmas. “

21. Celesta says:

Confused why people are saying “Rebel deserves better” when she co-wrote the show. Maybe she’s just a better comedienne when she improvises.

22. TV Gord says:

I’ve seen the pilot and they are making the right decision by not airing it first. I like Rebel and I wanted to like the show, but nothing meshed in the pilot. Maybe they can do better with another story to lead off, but I’m not optimistic.