King & Maxwell Cancelled After One Season

King and Maxwell CancelledTNT is closing the book on King & Maxwell after one season.

The freshman drama, based on characters from David Baldacci novels and starring Jon Tenney (The Closer) and Rebecca Romijn (Ugly Betty), premiered to 3.5 million total viewers and averaged 3.1 over its run, typically shedding a full third of its Major Crimes lead-in.

The news comes just a day after TNT ordered Stephen Bochco’s Taye Diggs-fronted Murder in the First to series.

RELATED | TNT Renews Major Crimes and Two Other Dramas

King & Maxwell‘s season/series finale aired Aug. 12; TVLine’s Cable Renewal Scorecard has thusly been updated. Franklin & Bash now stands as the only TNT drama series in limbo.

RELATED | TNT Renews Major Crimes and Two Other Dramas

Tenney, it was reported by TVLine earlier this week, next can be seen reprising his role as Major Crimes‘ Fritz Howard in a December episode of the TNT crime drama.

1. Beverley says:

Bummer. I liked that show. And the fact that it was new programming in the summer really was awesome.

• rowan77 says:

I wanted to like the show. i liked Tenney, Hurst, O’Keefe and Lachman, but the writing was pretty bad and Romijn gave the Michelle character absolutely no depth whatsoever. I didn’t buy her in this role at all. Bummer because Tenney deserve a series of his own.

• Michael Rochen says:

I’m disappointed. True, the story started out a little slow, and Rebecca Romjin was a little stiff in the beginning, but I really thought she AND the writers were starting to hit their stride the last 3 or so episodes. I was really looking forward to next season. What a shame!!!

• Michele Messer says:

Sure wish they would change their mind and bring King and Maxwell back. It was great to see something besides re-runs and it was a GOOD show. They have to bring Edgar back also, He was perfect in that role. There is so much junk on TV anymore maybe they could take some of that off instead.

• Robin K. says:

I agree with that totally!!! Both cable and network television are always cancelling shows without really giving them a chance to gain an audience!! It seems they like to keep the tv shows that show in my opinion the ugly side of people. I myself really do not want to see who is sleeping with whom, who is backstabbing or yelling constantly. Do we really need to see who is getting a rose. Why do we need to “Keep up with the K’s” or “The real housewives of WHEREVER”, it’s not our life why should we care!!! I think I am just going to read from now on since there really isn’t anything worth watching on television!

• BPOP says:

I really like King and Maxwell. I was looking forward to the new season. I had my DVR set for record ,just in case I missed the first show. I put it on a scale with Elementary and The Mentalist ( although Red John storyline has gone on for TOOOOO long).

• soledad says:

I liked the show its was very exciting and it was just as good if not even better than the closer.

• SuzyQ says:

I agree – it was one of TNT’s best show this summer. Way superior to Major Crimes. Pleeeeease bring it back next summer. It was great as anything related to David Baldacci always is.

• Steven says:

I have grown so weary of “reality TV”, and yet it seems as if shows like this (King & Maxwell) haven’t a chance against some of the most ridiculous things on TV. I found King& Maxwell such a great distraction from many a show. There was humor, action, and drama. I am hoping that TNT will look at all of the responses regarding the shows cancellation. TNT dropped the ball here.

• SuzieQ says:

It is a bummer. We loved this program. We are reading all of the King and Maxwell books we can get our hands on……wish they would reconsider.

2. CJH says:

This sucks…no more TNT for me.

3. Lynn says:

And now I have a bad feeling about Franklin and Bash’s chances.

4. Nerwen Aldarion says:

Now I’m sad. It was so good.

5. arial2 says:

Great dramedy, but didn’t have a chance opposite CBS’s Under the Dome. Too bad TNT can’t see beyond its respectable ratings numbers to the bigger picture. Wonder how TNT’s summer star series Rizzoli and Isles would have done had it played opposite Under the Dome.

6. John says:

Liked the show. Just the right amount of humor. Here’s hoping for Franklin and Bash!

7. JS says:

I am sorry it got cancelled. I thought it was hitting its stride by the end of the season. It deserved another year to build an audience.

• Barbara says:

Really bad move on TNT’s part. Entertaining and great show. Very different and Jon Tenny is wonderful. Was so glad to see him have his own show after The Closer. TNT, what is wrong with you. I will definitely watching your Network much less. Again, bad move to cancel this show!

8. Tina says:

TNT sucks.

9. Sapax says:

Too bad. I really enjoyed that show. I felt that they were just starting to get their legs beneath them.

• chris says:

Exactly. TNT comes up with some good shows but they need to give them time and they should show them multiple times during the week. Franklin & Bash is a lot of fun, they cancelled Wedding Band way too quickly.

10. Tammy says:

I thought Rebecca Romijn was so wrong in this show. Made it unwatchable for me. Loved the books though.

• mia says:

Rebecca Romijn has accepted an awful role …

she was too good for this crap

• JCK says:

The difference between Rebecca Romijn and Katherine Heigl is that no one hates RR. Other than that they are equally bland.

• Tookie Clothespin says:

Wow. As I read this it was like a light bulb turned on. You are 100% correct on this. There is always something that makes me not want to watch Rebecca Romijn and I couldn’t figure out what it was until now. She’s just bland.

• Lisa G says:

I love the books too. From the first moment I heard she was cast I was worried, and sure enough, she was all wrong for the part.

I love Jon Tenney, but the awful stubble was distracting. Not a good look for him. The sexual tension from the books was missing here too.

I’m disappointed it was cancelled because I had hopes it would improve, but at the same time I’m glad that this show can’t hinder the reputation of the novels anymore.

11. bobbie says:

I really liked this show! Good chemistry, loved Edgar; I can’t understand them canceling it.

12. Marie says:

This sucks!! I hate you TNT now!!

13. JC says:

:( Disappointed, but not surprised. I enjoyed it this summer though.

14. why do they put shows on and then after everyone starts to enjoy it they cancel they should have given it another season here’s hoping an other station will pick it up along with the Glads. what were they thinking?

• Debra Sinischo says:

So disappointed, get hooked and they cancel it. I loved the characters and like another thought they all began to gel as the show went on.Why not bring on some other writers before dropping the show. I hope another cable station picks up this show.

• Debra Sinischo says:

Hey Kathy…I’m with you. Just hate the Glads got cancelled. Especially after the ending they left with. Started wondering about King and Maxwell and they are gone too. Almost hate to commit to a new show. I want to scream like a kid, “That’s not fair!”

15. Mike D says:

Disappointing. Wasn’t wowed at first but stuck with it and found the episodes getting more interesting. The relationships between the characters improved as well. I wish they would have given it another season.

16. Gigi says:

TNT, YOU SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!!!!

17. Katherine says:

What a huge disappointment. I really enjoyed this show, especially the characters. :(

18. Ava says:

I really hope TNT renews Franklin and Bash.

19. prish says:

It was such a fun watch, I’m heartbroken. I loved the characters and the actors. I’m grateful we got a year, at least. It reminds me of the show Vegas enjoyment and loss. I hope TNT changes its mind. Cable channels need to realize if they do not have shows mature people (older than the precious demo) enjoy, lots of those viewers will dump cable. We spend lots on cable bills, and there are a lot of us.

• Arlene says:

Just got around to that ” I wonder if….? ” point with regard to summer TV. Not very happy at the moment. I enjoyed the show K&M . Granted it took me a minute to get ” Fritz ” out my head but , I absolutely loved Edgar ! Can’t think just now what it was he said when he stabbed the checks but it cracked me up every time ! it is getting harder and harder to chance committing to any show anymore , as soon as you do it’s gone . I totally agree with whole demographic idea . I am 55 not 14 . I absolutely hate ” reality TV ” really who the blank cares ? I want grief all I have to do is get out of bed in the morning . Sitcoms , seriously ? I love comedy but , for some reason would rather watch a good stand-up comedian for 15 min , rather than 30 minutes of canned laughter . My other choices ? Zombies , vampires and fairy tales….and people trapped under a dome or wait there are always the marathons of the same eight episodes of…….that first aired in 2005. All I want is to escape , be entertained and skip the BS . I may be old but , I’m not the only one out here , give me a break – you shell out a hundred bucks a month for the privilege to watch crap . Enough already .

• Sal says:

Arlene, I so agree with everything you said. It is going to take a lot of people dropping cable before they realize that there are a lot of people out here SICK TO DEATH OF REALITY TV.
        It is possible that they do already know, but it is a lot cheaper to produce reality shows instead of hiring writers who can produce a decent drama that has a little light humor in it. And if you think about it, the reality shows are really not reality. I’m right on the cusp of dumping cable. Graphic sex, torture, and cruelty are just not my cup of java.

20. jdbasset says:

what a bummer! at least now I don’t have to watch TNT. :)

21. Sara Tajeldin says:

I am terribly disappointed that you have cancelled this show. No more TNT for me. You are very shortsited.

22. Doug H says:

Longmire was also opposite K&M and lots of cable audience went there… K&M lost a fair amount of eyeballs from Major Crimes… I do think it could have done better in another spot… Once again.. Mondays at 10pm on TNT is a dead zone… First Monday Mornings now King and Maxwell.. The top show in that timeslot on cable is Wrestling…

23. Babygate says:

I find it interesting that people seem to think that TNT made this decision arbitrarily. The ratings weren’t there because people were not tuning in. I watched but I knew it wouldn’t last long. The casting was all wrong. There was no true chemistry between these characters. It was obvious they tried hard, but it wasn’t organic. Rebecca did not look credible running around shooting a gun and Jon just kept trying to be funny and endearing and it still didn’t work. And, although I loved Edgar on the very first episode he was on, when he returned with those god-awful glasses, the greasy hair and the dirty-looking vest I just cringed. I did not enjoy his character at all. And he wasn’t utilized in any meaningful way. I actually ended up liking the grumpy FBI guy the most. I wished this could have worked out. From the first time I read about it, I was looking forward to this show.

• prish says:

You are right about the grumpy FBI guy. He was the crown jewel. Everything else was a fun set up for his brilliant delivery. I was just waiting for his zingers. Cool you reminded us of it.

24. Kristi says:

I really liked that show! Leave it to TNT to cancel a show that has good stories and people watch. So that ratings didn’t show it – well, I DVR everything and watch stuff after so how can you possibly measure that???? Hang in there Franklin and Bash!!!

25. Carol C says:

I really liked this show and am disappointed it won’t return. Was perfect for the summer!

26. Heidi says:

I really liked this show – maybe they could do a show about Edgar!!

27. DisappoinedtK&MFan says:

This sucks. Great characters and good acting, just a fun show. Boo to TNT!

28. Missy Kelly says:

Programming People: Please take note – you’ve made a decision – stick with it – the audience does and tells their friends. Stop cancelling good shows. Really enjoyed this one

29. Matthew Weber says:

Love the books, didn’t watch the show.

I hardly watch any first season any more. I will start watching after it has been on 3 or more, so that if it does get cancelled, I won’t feel so bad.

• prish says:

I guess I should give the books a try. I would rather get crushed at a cancellation than miss out on the very fun one-year runs. Vegas comes to mind. It had a brilliant last episode wind-up, making it an excellent mini-series. I enjoyed Fast Forward, Journeyman, Life, Terriers, Cupid, Rome, Pushing Daisies, Moonlight, Awake, The Defenders, The Unusuals, Undercovers, Law & Order LA, Harry O, Life on Mars, Detroit 1-8-7, and Terra Nova, to name a few. My life has been the richer for them. One advantage of just a year, your brain creates an ending/aftermath for the characters that you enjoy. Hang in there!

30. Saabgirlatx says:

I couldn’t get past Jon tenney not being Fritz from the closer. I hope TNT keeps franklin and bash – just love that show!!

31. This is so disappointing. I really enjoyed the dynamic between the leads, and Edgar. I don’t watch many shows on TNT anymore. I was never a Closer fan, and didn’t even try the spin-off. I really enjoy Franklin and Bash though. Hopefully that gets renewed, especially since i’m excited to see if Rhea Seehorn returns for a bigger role. I loved her!

32. Brian says:

This is surprising because I thought 3.1 million viewers was still high enough ratings by TNT’s standards to get renewed?

Am I wrong about that?

33. prish says:

I hope Baldacci will write King & Maxwell novels that continue where the show left off.

34. big cheddar says:

Didn’t they cancel Leverage for this?

• Teri says:

Yup. And for Monday Mornings. Both cancelled, both had very little fan base. But let’s be real TNT doesn’t allow for a fan base to start. I was a religious TNT watcher until Leverage got axed. I boycotted it and TBS (same owner) a bunch of people did.

Good job TNT. You shot yourself in the foot. Good luck getting us former viewers back. All I watch on there is movies and reruns of Bones. Hate that channel!

• Ace says:

I cut the cord from cable in July and missed the last several episodes. Sorry it won’t be back K&M was starting to grow on me. TNT is so short sighted they will not let you watch the shows on their site without a cable subscription and they will not put anything but old shows like Monk and Psych on Hulu Plus. With millons of people dumping cable who do they think are going to watch their network?

• Tonya Belz says:

I am REALLY pissed off at TNT Leverage gets people’s choice and TNT cancel them the show they put on in their place didn’t even make it a full season !!! King and Maxwell was another one they cancel . Then there’s A & E canceling the Glades!! I am half tempted to boycott TNT AND A&E !! BRING BACK LEVERAGE!!!

35. Paul Cox says:

Rizzoli & Isles, Franklin & Bash, King & Maxwell…too many ____&____ shows for people to remember.

36. n says:

Double-dog darn it. Really enjoyed K&M and was looking forward to more.

37. CBWBDK1 says:

Nooooooooooooooo! That sucks!!

38. Fun, easy to watch shows with both male and female appeal are difficult to find. Fairly Legal fell into that category as did King and Maxwell. It seems unreality shows are all they want us to endure.

39. Nesak says:

Seriously it is not acceptable to cancel to a good show. It has been a pattern where TNT cancelling all good show.. Bring K&M back to live…

40. rukia says:

I hope TNT renews Franklin and bash. Love this show It’s a great summer show. Will be devastated if it’s cancelled.

41. Abby says:

Franklin & Bash is on the bubble!? LOVe them! That’s my favorite summer guilty pleasure!

Too bad for King and Maxwell. I agree that Rebecca Romijn was too stiff for the role… She needed a little more depth. I loved everybody else and was interested in where the storyline could go.

42. K. says:

That Sucks! I loved the show but agree all the characters were great except for Romijn which never clicked.

43. tahina says:

I watched it once..had enough. Both actors I think were miscast. RR no chemistry & Teeney can only belong to Brenda!

44. Jenn says:

Not surprised at all that they cancelled this. I caught 1 episode and it was OK but not great. I love Jon Tenney and I hope that he can land in another show on any other network but TNT because they don’t fully invest in their shows but are happier showing repeats of Castle and L&O.

45. Kim R says:

Why? Well….that’s another show gone that was enjoyable. :(

46. Mrs. Peele says:

well, i liked it….ok so let’s get some more ‘reality’ shows on or more ‘honey boo boo’ . they should have given it one more run.

47. Moms a TVFan77 says:

Loved Ryan Hurst in K & M. From Opie to Edgar, what a great job. Too bad, the show was getting better as the season went on.

48. Patricia says:

The biggest reason the show failed is over the course of 10 episodes, it only averaged a 0.49 in the 18-49 demo.

Now TNT is an older skewing network for sure BUT, every other original program they had (got at least a 0.6 or higher). Even Southland, which was cancelled back in May did slightly better with a 0.5 and change. So it makes sense this show was cancelled.

We will see about Franklin and Bash. It got a better 18-49 demo, a 0.62 BUT it only averaged only 2.111 million viewers in season 3, which is a million less than King & Maxwell.

49. MM says:

The show had promise, but burned through plot too fast to make meaningful and deep characters. The pilot episode should have been the first season arc, with the Edgar twist coming around episode 10 (of a 13 episode season). It could have been chilling and suspenseful instead of thrown away like it was. All the plot post pilot belonged in season 2… we didn’t care enough about the characters in season 1 to really care why they weren’t secret service anymore, so those stories didn’t carry much water.

• paul Bernardo says:

Sad to hear King and Maxwell are now finished and gone….too bad. kept waiting for it capture
      some of the book intrigue…Tenney was great, but needs to shave…..I felt this is the kind of show
      that will grow on you if given a chance, alas TNT believes that one go a round is a chance..too bad.