King & Maxwell Cancelled After One Season

Get More: Cancellations, News

King and Maxwell CancelledTNT is closing the book on King & Maxwell after one season.

The freshman drama, based on characters from David Baldacci novels and starring Jon Tenney (The Closer) and Rebecca Romijn (Ugly Betty), premiered to 3.5 million total viewers and averaged 3.1 over its run, typically shedding a full third of its Major Crimes lead-in.

The news comes just a day after TNT ordered Stephen Bochco’s Taye Diggs-fronted Murder in the First to series.

RELATED | TNT Renews Major Crimes and Two Other Dramas

King & Maxwell‘s season/series finale aired Aug. 12; TVLine’s Cable Renewal Scorecard has thusly been updated. Franklin & Bash now stands as the only TNT drama series in limbo.

RELATED | TNT Renews Major Crimes and Two Other Dramas

Tenney, it was reported by TVLine earlier this week, next can be seen reprising his role as Major Crimes‘ Fritz Howard in a December episode of the TNT crime drama.

Comments (141)

• Bummer. I liked that show. And the fact that it was new programming in the summer really was awesome.

Comment by Beverley – September 20, 2013 06:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I wanted to like the show. i liked Tenney, Hurst, O’Keefe and Lachman, but the writing was pretty bad and Romijn gave the Michelle character absolutely no depth whatsoever. I didn’t buy her in this role at all. Bummer because Tenney deserve a series of his own.

Comment by rowan77 – September 20, 2013 10:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree with all of this.

Comment by Alichat – September 20, 2013 10:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Exactly all that.

Comment by Maya – September 21, 2013 12:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Jealous much of Rebecca Romijn? Ryan Hurst his acting was pure genius!

Comment by CBWBDK1 – September 21, 2013 01:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Jealous of what? The fact that she couldn’t pull off the part? She was seriously miscast.

Comment by rowan77 – September 21, 2013 04:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree as well.

Comment by Molly – September 21, 2013 04:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I also wanted to like this show, enjoyed the outline/concept. In the end I think the writing / character development was to blame, I don’t really blame any of the actors.

Comment by Jeff H – September 21, 2013 06:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m disappointed. True, the story started out a little slow, and Rebecca Romjin was a little stiff in the beginning, but I really thought she AND the writers were starting to hit their stride the last 3 or so episodes. I was really looking forward to next season. What a shame!!!

Comment by Michael Rochen – September 21, 2013 09:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sure wish they would change their mind and bring King and Maxwell back. It was great to see something besides re-runs and it was a GOOD show. They have to bring Edgar back also, He was perfect in that role. There is so much junk on TV anymore maybe they could take some of that off instead.

Comment by Michele Messer – November 6, 2013 06:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree with that totally!!! Both cable and network television are always cancelling shows without really giving them a chance to gain an audience!! It seems they like to keep the tv shows that show in my opinion the ugly side of people. I myself really do not want to see who is sleeping with whom, who is backstabbing or yelling constantly. Do we really need to see who is getting a rose. Why do we need to “Keep up with the K’s” or “The real housewives of WHEREVER”, it’s not our life why should we care!!! I think I am just going to read from now on since there really isn’t anything worth watching on television!

Comment by Robin K. – March 1, 2014 11:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I really like King and Maxwell. I was looking forward to the new season. I had my DVR set for record ,just in case I missed the first show. I put it on a scale with Elementary and The Mentalist ( although Red John storyline has gone on for TOOOOO long).

Comment by BPOP – November 27, 2013 05:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I liked the show its was very exciting and it was just as good if not even better than the closer.

Comment by soledad – December 27, 2013 08:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree – it was one of TNT’s best show this summer. Way superior to Major Crimes. Pleeeeease bring it back next summer. It was great as anything related to David Baldacci always is.

Comment by SuzyQ – January 14, 2014 11:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I

Comment by Steven – March 7, 2014 08:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I have grown so weary of “reality TV”, and yet it seems as if shows like this (King & Maxwell) haven’t a chance against some of the most ridiculous things on TV. I found King& Maxwell such a great distraction from many a show. There was humor, action, and drama. I am hoping that TNT will look at all of the responses regarding the shows cancellation. TNT dropped the ball here.

Comment by Steven – March 7, 2014 08:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This sucks…no more TNT for me.

Comment by CJH – September 20, 2013 06:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • And now I have a bad feeling about Franklin and Bash’s chances.

Comment by Lynn – September 20, 2013 06:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Now I’m sad. It was so good.

Comment by Nerwen Aldarion – September 20, 2013 06:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great dramedy, but didn’t have a chance opposite CBS’s Under the Dome. Too bad TNT can’t see beyond its respectable ratings numbers to the bigger picture. Wonder how TNT’s summer star series Rizzoli and Isles would have done had it played opposite Under the Dome.

Comment by arial2 – September 20, 2013 06:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Liked the show. Just the right amount of humor. Here’s hoping for Franklin and Bash!

Comment by John – September 20, 2013 06:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am sorry it got cancelled. I thought it was hitting its stride by the end of the season. It deserved another year to build an audience.

Comment by JS – September 20, 2013 06:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Really bad move on TNT’s part. Entertaining and great show. Very different and Jon Tenny is wonderful. Was so glad to see him have his own show after The Closer. TNT, what is wrong with you. I will definitely watching your Network much less. Again, bad move to cancel this show!

Comment by Barbara – October 6, 2013 09:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • i agree. cnat believe they are cancelling the show. Wake up tnt

Comment by bill booth – April 10, 2014 02:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • TNT sucks.

Comment by Tina – September 20, 2013 06:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • What do you want? If it didn’t get the ratings or ad sales, they have to cut their losses!

Comment by Sheila – September 22, 2013 11:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Too bad. I really enjoyed that show. I felt that they were just starting to get their legs beneath them.

Comment by Sapax – September 20, 2013 06:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Exactly. TNT comes up with some good shows but they need to give them time and they should show them multiple times during the week. Franklin & Bash is a lot of fun, they cancelled Wedding Band way too quickly.

Comment by chris – September 21, 2013 08:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Wedding Band was on TBS but I agree that it was cancelled too soon.

Comment by Meg – September 22, 2013 05:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought Rebecca Romijn was so wrong in this show. Made it unwatchable for me. Loved the books though.

Comment by Tammy – September 20, 2013 06:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Rebecca Romijn has accepted an awful role …

she was too good for this crap

Comment by mia – September 20, 2013 07:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The difference between Rebecca Romijn and Katherine Heigl is that no one hates RR. Other than that they are equally bland.

Comment by JCK – September 21, 2013 07:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Wow. As I read this it was like a light bulb turned on. You are 100% correct on this. There is always something that makes me not want to watch Rebecca Romijn and I couldn’t figure out what it was until now. She’s just bland.

Comment by Tookie Clothespin – September 21, 2013 08:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I love the books too. From the first moment I heard she was cast I was worried, and sure enough, she was all wrong for the part.

I love Jon Tenney, but the awful stubble was distracting. Not a good look for him. The sexual tension from the books was missing here too.

I’m disappointed it was cancelled because I had hopes it would improve, but at the same time I’m glad that this show can’t hinder the reputation of the novels anymore.

Comment by Lisa G – September 21, 2013 09:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really liked this show! Good chemistry, loved Edgar; I can’t understand them canceling it.

Comment by bobbie – September 20, 2013 06:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Bring back Edgar somehow, somewhere!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by mtomkins – September 24, 2013 10:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This sucks!! I hate you TNT now!!

Comment by Marie – September 20, 2013 06:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • :( Disappointed, but not surprised. I enjoyed it this summer though.

Comment by JC – September 20, 2013 06:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • why do they put shows on and then after everyone starts to enjoy it they cancel they should have given it another season here’s hoping an other station will pick it up along with the Glads. what were they thinking?

Comment by Kathy Rhyno-Pinnell – September 20, 2013 06:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • So disappointed, get hooked and they cancel it. I loved the characters and like another thought they all began to gel as the show went on.Why not bring on some other writers before dropping the show. I hope another cable station picks up this show.

Comment by Debra Sinischo – January 6, 2014 08:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hey Kathy…I’m with you. Just hate the Glads got cancelled. Especially after the ending they left with. Started wondering about King and Maxwell and they are gone too. Almost hate to commit to a new show. I want to scream like a kid, “That’s not fair!”

Comment by Debra Sinischo – January 6, 2014 09:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Disappointing. Wasn’t wowed at first but stuck with it and found the episodes getting more interesting. The relationships between the characters improved as well. I wish they would have given it another season.

Comment by Mike D – September 20, 2013 06:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • TNT, YOU SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!!!!

Comment by Gigi – September 20, 2013 06:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What a huge disappointment. I really enjoyed this show, especially the characters. :(

Comment by Katherine – September 20, 2013 06:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really hope TNT renews Franklin and Bash.

Comment by Ava – September 20, 2013 06:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It was such a fun watch, I’m heartbroken. I loved the characters and the actors. I’m grateful we got a year, at least. It reminds me of the show Vegas enjoyment and loss. I hope TNT changes its mind. Cable channels need to realize if they do not have shows mature people (older than the precious demo) enjoy, lots of those viewers will dump cable. We spend lots on cable bills, and there are a lot of us.

Comment by prish – September 20, 2013 06:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Just got around to that ” I wonder if….? ” point with regard to summer TV. Not very happy at the moment. I enjoyed the show K&M . Granted it took me a minute to get ” Fritz ” out my head but , I absolutely loved Edgar ! Can’t think just now what it was he said when he stabbed the checks but it cracked me up every time ! it is getting harder and harder to chance committing to any show anymore , as soon as you do it’s gone . I totally agree with whole demographic idea . I am 55 not 14 . I absolutely hate ” reality TV ” really who the blank cares ? I want grief all I have to do is get out of bed in the morning . Sitcoms , seriously ? I love comedy but , for some reason would rather watch a good stand-up comedian for 15 min , rather than 30 minutes of canned laughter . My other choices ? Zombies , vampires and fairy tales….and people trapped under a dome or wait there are always the marathons of the same eight episodes of…….that first aired in 2005. All I want is to escape , be entertained and skip the BS . I may be old but , I’m not the only one out here , give me a break – you shell out a hundred bucks a month for the privilege to watch crap . Enough already .

Comment by Arlene – March 7, 2014 07:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Arlene, I so agree with everything you said. It is going to take a lot of people dropping cable before they realize that there are a lot of people out here SICK TO DEATH OF REALITY TV.
        It is possible that they do already know, but it is a lot cheaper to produce reality shows instead of hiring writers who can produce a decent drama that has a little light humor in it. And if you think about it, the reality shows are really not reality. I’m right on the cusp of dumping cable. Graphic sex, torture, and cruelty are just not my cup of java.

Comment by Sal – March 25, 2014 09:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • that sucks.

Comment by Michael Sacal – September 20, 2013 07:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • what a bummer! at least now I don’t have to watch TNT. :)

Comment by jdbasset – September 20, 2013 07:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am terribly disappointed that you have cancelled this show. No more TNT for me. You are very shortsited.

Comment by Sara Tajeldin – September 20, 2013 07:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Longmire was also opposite K&M and lots of cable audience went there… K&M lost a fair amount of eyeballs from Major Crimes… I do think it could have done better in another spot… Once again.. Mondays at 10pm on TNT is a dead zone… First Monday Mornings now King and Maxwell.. The top show in that timeslot on cable is Wrestling…

Comment by Doug H – September 20, 2013 07:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I find it interesting that people seem to think that TNT made this decision arbitrarily. The ratings weren’t there because people were not tuning in. I watched but I knew it wouldn’t last long. The casting was all wrong. There was no true chemistry between these characters. It was obvious they tried hard, but it wasn’t organic. Rebecca did not look credible running around shooting a gun and Jon just kept trying to be funny and endearing and it still didn’t work. And, although I loved Edgar on the very first episode he was on, when he returned with those god-awful glasses, the greasy hair and the dirty-looking vest I just cringed. I did not enjoy his character at all. And he wasn’t utilized in any meaningful way. I actually ended up liking the grumpy FBI guy the most. I wished this could have worked out. From the first time I read about it, I was looking forward to this show.

Comment by Babygate – September 20, 2013 07:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You are right about the grumpy FBI guy. He was the crown jewel. Everything else was a fun set up for his brilliant delivery. I was just waiting for his zingers. Cool you reminded us of it.

Comment by prish – September 20, 2013 11:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really liked that show! Leave it to TNT to cancel a show that has good stories and people watch. So that ratings didn’t show it – well, I DVR everything and watch stuff after so how can you possibly measure that???? Hang in there Franklin and Bash!!!

Comment by Kristi – September 20, 2013 07:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really liked this show and am disappointed it won’t return. Was perfect for the summer!

Comment by Carol C – September 20, 2013 08:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really liked this show – maybe they could do a show about Edgar!!

Comment by Heidi – September 20, 2013 08:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This sucks. Great characters and good acting, just a fun show. Boo to TNT!

Comment by DisappoinedtK&MFan – September 20, 2013 08:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Programming People: Please take note – you’ve made a decision – stick with it – the audience does and tells their friends. Stop cancelling good shows. Really enjoyed this one

Comment by Missy Kelly – September 20, 2013 09:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love the books, didn’t watch the show.

I hardly watch any first season any more. I will start watching after it has been on 3 or more, so that if it does get cancelled, I won’t feel so bad.

Comment by Matthew Weber – September 20, 2013 09:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I guess I should give the books a try. I would rather get crushed at a cancellation than miss out on the very fun one-year runs. Vegas comes to mind. It had a brilliant last episode wind-up, making it an excellent mini-series. I enjoyed Fast Forward, Journeyman, Life, Terriers, Cupid, Rome, Pushing Daisies, Moonlight, Awake, The Defenders, The Unusuals, Undercovers, Law & Order LA, Harry O, Life on Mars, Detroit 1-8-7, and Terra Nova, to name a few. My life has been the richer for them. One advantage of just a year, your brain creates an ending/aftermath for the characters that you enjoy. Hang in there!

Comment by prish – September 20, 2013 11:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Awww, I just got really sad thinking about a lot of those shows that I loved and were canceled.

Comment by Katherine – September 21, 2013 05:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I couldn’t get past Jon tenney not being Fritz from the closer. I hope TNT keeps franklin and bash – just love that show!!

Comment by Saabgirlatx – September 20, 2013 10:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is so disappointing. I really enjoyed the dynamic between the leads, and Edgar. I don’t watch many shows on TNT anymore. I was never a Closer fan, and didn’t even try the spin-off. I really enjoy Franklin and Bash though. Hopefully that gets renewed, especially since i’m excited to see if Rhea Seehorn returns for a bigger role. I loved her!

Comment by Mikaylah Roggasch (@mkroggasch) – September 20, 2013 10:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is surprising because I thought 3.1 million viewers was still high enough ratings by TNT’s standards to get renewed?

Am I wrong about that?

Comment by Brian – September 20, 2013 11:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope Baldacci will write King & Maxwell novels that continue where the show left off.

Comment by prish – September 20, 2013 11:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Didn’t they cancel Leverage for this?

Comment by big cheddar – September 20, 2013 11:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yup. And for Monday Mornings. Both cancelled, both had very little fan base. But let’s be real TNT doesn’t allow for a fan base to start. I was a religious TNT watcher until Leverage got axed. I boycotted it and TBS (same owner) a bunch of people did.

Good job TNT. You shot yourself in the foot. Good luck getting us former viewers back. All I watch on there is movies and reruns of Bones. Hate that channel!

Comment by Teri – September 23, 2013 03:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I cut the cord from cable in July and missed the last several episodes. Sorry it won’t be back K&M was starting to grow on me. TNT is so short sighted they will not let you watch the shows on their site without a cable subscription and they will not put anything but old shows like Monk and Psych on Hulu Plus. With millons of people dumping cable who do they think are going to watch their network?

Comment by Ace – September 26, 2013 08:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Rizzoli & Isles, Franklin & Bash, King & Maxwell…too many ____&____ shows for people to remember.

Comment by Paul Cox – September 21, 2013 12:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Double-dog darn it. Really enjoyed K&M and was looking forward to more.

Comment by n – September 21, 2013 12:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nooooooooooooooo! That sucks!!

Comment by CBWBDK1 – September 21, 2013 01:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fun, easy to watch shows with both male and female appeal are difficult to find. Fairly Legal fell into that category as did King and Maxwell. It seems unreality shows are all they want us to endure.

Comment by Michael Calcaterra – September 21, 2013 03:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Seriously it is not acceptable to cancel to a good show. It has been a pattern where TNT cancelling all good show.. Bring K&M back to live…

Comment by Nesak – September 21, 2013 04:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope TNT renews Franklin and bash. Love this show It’s a great summer show. Will be devastated if it’s cancelled.

Comment by rukia – September 21, 2013 04:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Franklin & Bash is on the bubble!? LOVe them! That’s my favorite summer guilty pleasure!

Too bad for King and Maxwell. I agree that Rebecca Romijn was too stiff for the role… She needed a little more depth. I loved everybody else and was interested in where the storyline could go.

Comment by Abby – September 21, 2013 05:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That Sucks! I loved the show but agree all the characters were great except for Romijn which never clicked.

Comment by K. – September 21, 2013 05:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I watched it once..had enough. Both actors I think were miscast. RR no chemistry & Teeney can only belong to Brenda!

Comment by tahina – September 21, 2013 06:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not surprised at all that they cancelled this. I caught 1 episode and it was OK but not great. I love Jon Tenney and I hope that he can land in another show on any other network but TNT because they don’t fully invest in their shows but are happier showing repeats of Castle and L&O.

Comment by Jenn – September 21, 2013 07:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why? Well….that’s another show gone that was enjoyable. :(

Comment by Kim R – September 21, 2013 07:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • well, i liked it….ok so let’s get some more ‘reality’ shows on or more ‘honey boo boo’ . they should have given it one more run.

Comment by Mrs. Peele – September 21, 2013 07:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved Ryan Hurst in K & M. From Opie to Edgar, what a great job. Too bad, the show was getting better as the season went on.

Comment by Moms a TVFan77 – September 21, 2013 07:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The biggest reason the show failed is over the course of 10 episodes, it only averaged a 0.49 in the 18-49 demo.

Now TNT is an older skewing network for sure BUT, every other original program they had (got at least a 0.6 or higher). Even Southland, which was cancelled back in May did slightly better with a 0.5 and change. So it makes sense this show was cancelled.

We will see about Franklin and Bash. It got a better 18-49 demo, a 0.62 BUT it only averaged only 2.111 million viewers in season 3, which is a million less than King & Maxwell.

Comment by Patricia – September 21, 2013 07:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The show had promise, but burned through plot too fast to make meaningful and deep characters. The pilot episode should have been the first season arc, with the Edgar twist coming around episode 10 (of a 13 episode season). It could have been chilling and suspenseful instead of thrown away like it was. All the plot post pilot belonged in season 2… we didn’t care enough about the characters in season 1 to really care why they weren’t secret service anymore, so those stories didn’t carry much water.

Comment by MM – September 21, 2013 08:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sad to hear King and Maxwell are now finished and gone….too bad. kept waiting for it capture
      some of the book intrigue…Tenney was great, but needs to shave…..I felt this is the kind of show
      that will grow on you if given a chance, alas TNT believes that one go a round is a chance..too bad.

Comment by paul Bernardo – December 6, 2013 09:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post