Ratings: Dads Pops, Brooklyn Nine-Nine Cops Good Numbers, Mindy Returns Up But Down

Get More: News, Premieres, Ratings

Ratings Dads Premiere on FoxWhat’s the saying about “No such thing as bad press”…?

Fox’s heavily derided Dads on Tuesday night premiered to 5.6 million total viewers and a decent-enough 2.1 rating, up 40 percent in the demo from Raising Hope‘s most recent numbers in the 8 o’clock time slot but well shy of what a special episode of New Girl did there a year ago. TVLine readers gave the premiere an average grade of “D+.”

RELATED | Fall TV Poll: Did Dads Live Up to the (Bad) Hype?

Brooklyn Nine-Nine then built on those numbers, debuting to 6 mil and a 2.5 — up 43 and 19 percent from Ben and Kate‘s September 2012 launch. TVLine readers say: “B+.”

UPDATE: Per finals, Dads (2.2) and B99 (2.6) each got adjusted up a tenth; no change for New Girl/Mindy.

RELATED | Fall TV Poll: Did Brooklyn Nine-Nine Cop Your Interest?

New Girl continued Fox’s night with 5.6 mil/2.9, up a tenth in the demo from its sophomore opener and rising 38 percent from its finale, while The Mindy Project‘s 4 mil/1.9 rating marks a 46 percent demo gain from its finale but a 21 percent drop versus from its series debut — though, yes, the premiere was available online. Also, Fox notes that Mindy was up 26 percent from its Season 1 average.

RELATED | New Girl‘s Return: Are You All In? Or Was It a Bit Puzzling?

RELATED | The Mindy Project Recap: Hasta la Vista, Haiti

Over on NBC, Million Second Quiz (5.2 mil/1.1) ticked up a tenth from its Monday installment, while America’s Got Talent (10.9 mil/2.4) rose 19 percent and a tenth week-to-week.

The CW’s Whose Line (2.43 mil/0.9) drew its largest audience since July 23, while Capture did 1 mil/0.4.

NEXT TUESDAY: NCIS, S.H.I.E.L.D., NCIS: LA, The Voice, Chicago Fire and Person of Interest and others join the mix.

Comments (38)

• Yay! Finally someone is watching the genius of Mike Schur and Dan Goor! Now I am off to pray to all the gods for Parks and Rec next week…

Comment by Elizabeth – September 18, 2013 08:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • THIS. I didn’t love Brooklyn Nine Nine, but definitely laughed out loud more than once. I think it has great promise.

Comment by Aprilcot – September 18, 2013 08:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • a lot of people were able to watch the mindy project early so maybe that has something to do with the ratings being down? happy for new girl and brooklyn nine-nine. not sure if I should check out dads or not… the reviews have been awful.

Comment by Elyse – September 18, 2013 08:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You and I seem to have similar taste in television and I’ll tell ya, I lasted about 10 minutes into Dads. I had no interest in it whatsoever :-)

Comment by wrstlgirl – September 18, 2013 08:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • LOL I’ve also noticed we have the same taste in TV so ill just pass on Dads then! did you watch Sleepy Hollow? I’m trying to decide if I should check that one out or not.

Comment by Elyse – September 18, 2013 09:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mindy did premiere online early, though.

Comment by A – September 18, 2013 08:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mindy Project was great! New Girl had a good start. I don’t see what the hype about Brooklyn 9-9 was about, and I passed on Dads. Hoping most of Mindy’s numbers went to the fact it was available online for a week.

Comment by iMember – September 18, 2013 08:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i liked dads. To many people let one scene with the asian girl dressed up like an asian school girl for chinese buisness people warp there judgement. The show was about how these 2 guys dads make there lives miserable i thought was funny.

Comment by stephen – September 18, 2013 08:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It wasn’t just that one scene. There were other anti-asian jokes as well.

Comment by Lala – September 18, 2013 09:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I let the horrible writing of the entire episode warp my judgement.

Comment by Josh – September 18, 2013 10:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • if only we could all be like you and ungrammatically enjoy blatant racism!

Comment by Betsy – September 18, 2013 03:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Two important factors here:

1) Last year, the FOX comedies premiered during premiere week, so these numbers aren’t really the best indicator of what’s to come.
    2) The big gap between New Girl and Mindy might have something to do w/ the fact that Mindy’s premiere has been online for 7 days now. (Hopefully.)

The big test comes next week. Dads & Brooklyn have to go up against Agents of SHIELD and NCIS.

Comment by Marin Kuharić (@Prkan_708) – September 18, 2013 08:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • There was something a little bit off with the Mindy Project last night. Didn’t find it as funny as last season. Brooklyn 9-9 on the other hand made me guffaw a few times. I really liked it!

Comment by dsm – September 18, 2013 08:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved, loved, LOVED The Mindy Project! Didn’t watch it online so I could have something to watch after Brooklyn Nine-Nine and New Girl. BNN is definitely my fav new comedy so far. New Girl wasn’t really that funny last night, but then again, I’ve never really been interested in it. To me, NG is just a filler show. Don’t see all the hype between Nick and Jess, they don’t feel right together. Can’t wait until NEXT WEEK when all (well, most) of my favorite shows return. I hope Nashville debuts to some pretty big numbers.

Comment by Mr. White – September 18, 2013 08:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Watched Mindy online the day they put up the early preview. It was so great to have new episodes again, although I suspected it would hurt the TV premiere ratings.

Comment by Brooke – September 18, 2013 08:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t think Dads will last with next week’s premieres waiting to steal viewers. Hopefully The Mindy Project will gain some attention, though, because this show is awesome!

Comment by Julia – September 18, 2013 08:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am sure many people just watched Dads to see why the critics were grilling it.

Comment by Babar – September 18, 2013 08:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s mainly why I was watching. I actually didn’t hate it.

Comment by Zach – September 18, 2013 10:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hopefully Dads drops off a ton next week otherwise no accounting for taste. Unfortunately would hurt Brooklyn 999

Comment by Boiler – September 18, 2013 09:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How The Mindy Project received a second season is puzzling to me.

Hopefully Dads fails and Raising Hope can move back.

Comment by David4 – September 18, 2013 09:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Most shows drop after the season premier, so a 2.1 with no competition isn’t that great a start. I think there was a certain looky loo factor. I understand the “edgy” racism is gone from the second episode. So it’s just a bad comedy.

Comment by Lala – September 18, 2013 09:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally agree. I never thought Mindy was funny. Interestingly, although Mindy appears to have benefited from the beginning as a darling of the critics, over at sister site Deadline Hollywood, I was surprised to see a number of negative comments about the show today.

Comment by HAP – September 18, 2013 12:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I like her fine, I just really don’t understand the point of the show. It’s just bad TV. She is supposed to be a doctor, but never really does doctor things. She seems like a complete screw up. They really need to call the Scrubs creators and get some help on the show.

Comment by David4 – September 18, 2013 09:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Too bad Mindy didnt do better, but I won’t be surprised if Dads does even worse than a 1.9 in week 2, hopefully Mindy will stay somewhat steady, as well as B99.

Comment by Mike R. – September 18, 2013 09:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I found Brooklyn Nine Nine uneven, I’ll stick around for a while but it didn’t convince me, which surprised me as I expected to like the premise.

Comment by John – September 18, 2013 09:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m glad capture went up. It’s a simple, fun, show.

Comment by Jo – September 18, 2013 09:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wanted to LOVE Nashville but sadly it will be this seasons Smash. I don’t see that series holding up during season 2 at all.

Comment by Jared – September 18, 2013 09:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A 2.1 rating for the premiere of Dads against zero competition doesn’t look to good especially when SHIELD premieres next week. I doubt Fox will be quick to pull it and will probably air all the episodes ordered but I don’t see a full season pickup in its future.

Comment by Jared – September 18, 2013 10:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “Decent enough” does not prove the point that no press is bad press.

I’d consider that a major letdown for a comedy premiere for Seth MacFarlane. And if you take into account the buzz, it’s kind of a flop.

Comment by Daw Johnson – September 18, 2013 10:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s not MacFarlane’s first flop. In the 2006-07 season he produced a massive turd starring Rob Corddry called The Winner. It was a real waste of the talents of people like Erinn Hayes and Lenny Clarke.

Comment by Zach – September 18, 2013 11:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Aw the winner was pretty good, hopefully Dads doesnt go the same route. Why can’t you people be happy with the show you like and not complain.

Comment by Sam – September 18, 2013 11:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Eh, to each his own I guess. I’m not a fan of Rob Corddry. He’s shrill. Enrico Colantoni without the charm. Sorry for complaining.

Comment by Zach – September 18, 2013 11:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Comedy and sit-com lovers should be offended by “Dads” for the simple reason that it JUST. WASN’T. FUNNY. A fine cast let down by a lackluster, humorless script. And previews show that next week’s episode is about everyone looping out after they eat laced brownies. Wow, that’s original. At least the laugh track seems to find it all hilarious. P.S. Huge Seth MacFarlane fan here but this is a stinker.

Comment by Henry – September 18, 2013 12:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Until Andre Braugher showed up on Brooklyn Nine Nine I didn’t like it and was going to turn the channel. But then like a ray of sunshine Andre Braugher brought life. Hopefully Brooklyn Nine Nine will get better. I didn’t like it because to me the show doesn’t know what it wants to be. As a viewer I’m not invested in any of the characters except for the CO. I thought the arrests were far fetched and stupid. But I’ll give it a shot (no pun intended.) Maybe.

Comment by J – September 18, 2013 01:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mindy got the lowest numbers and it was clearly the best show last night. Sigh

Comment by MR – September 18, 2013 01:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The ratings for Dads will drop rapidly. Of course people are going to tune in to see what all the fuss was about when you advertise it the way they did but the fact that it was just so terribly unfunny will mean most of those people won’t tune in again.

Comment by leysha – September 18, 2013 07:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 2.1 for a series premier is horrible, and next week it gets to face NCIS & SHIELD

Comment by kraw hitham (@_krawhitham) – September 18, 2013 11:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nobody understood that Dads is a cartoon with real actors. It is even a parody of sitcoms. If Family Guy was shot with real actors, there would have been worse critics.

Comment by roderk – September 19, 2013 03:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post