Ratings: Sleepy Hollow Turns Many Heads, Dancing Surges, Dome Closes on a High Note

Ratings Sleepy Hollow PremiereFox’s Sleepy Hollow roused TV viewers this Monday night, premiering to a total audience of 10.1 million while scoring a 3.5 demo rating (per finals).

Those tallies mark not only double what The Mob Doctor pulled a year ago (5 mil/1.5), but the demo delivery eclipses that of Fox’s past Monday launches The Following (10.4 mil/3.2), Alcatraz (10 mil/3.3) and Terra Nova (9.1 mil/3.1). UPDATE: Per Fox’s fast-tracked finals, this marks the network’s best fall debut in seven years, since Standoff (Sept. 2006).

RELATED | Fall TV Reader Poll — Did Sleepy Hollow Make You Lose Your Head?

Of course, now the question is how those numbers hold up once CBS’ Monday comedy block — featuring 2 Broke Girls and newbie Mom in the 9 o’clock hour — premieres next Monday. But if our reader poll’s “B+” grade is any sign, there will be returning viewers.

Opening the night for Fox, Bones returned to 7.8 mil and a 2.3 (per finals), even with last year’s premiere (8 mil/2.3) and up from its most recent finale (7.4 mil/2.1).

Among other Monday premieres, ABC’s Dancing With the Stars returned to 16.2 million total viewers and a 3.2 demo rating, up 16 and 28 percent from last fall’s All-Stars launch (pending any NFL preemption tweaking).

RELATED | Under the Dome Season 1 Finale Recap: Pink Stars Trek Into Darkness

Over on CBS, Under the Dome’s freshman finale drew 11.8 mil and a 2.8 — surging 22 and 30 percent to net its largest audience since the series premiere and best rating since July 29. (That said, TVLine readers are giving the closer an average grade of “C-.”)

1. JCK says:

Sleepy Hollow has terrific potential. I hope we get someone as a comic relief such as monroe on Grimm. The cast is very well chosen, so far.

• DL says:

The female lead can be funny at times, and they’re capitalizing on the “fish out of water” humor when they can. But I agree the show may need a more dedicated comedic character before long. :P

• Lena120 says:

I actually like Ichabod as the comic relief. His fish out of water thing is hilarious to me. I loved how he was having trouble with that car. lol.

• Grace says:

But that can only last for so long. Eventually he’ll become accustomed to the present. Sure, he can still encounter new things that confuse him, but it wouldn’t keep happening on a daily basis after a while.

2. Well, after the catastrophic numbers for Million Second Quiz and The X Factor, this is a much welcomed piece of good news. Both Sleepy Hollow *and* DWTS. Well done. There is still hope for this fall seasons.

3. Katy says:

Yep Sleepy Hollow was COOL it just felt like a breath of fresh air.

4. Charli says:

I was pleasantly surprised with Sleepy Hollow. It has a phenomenal cast, it’s fast-paced, with an interesting back story and a good set up for future storylines. I’m very excited to see what’s to come with this show.

5. iMember says:

Loved the Sleepy Hollow premiere, so really glad it opened well! Hope it can maintain the ratings and the creative storytelling. The cast is already great. :)

6. Sleepy Hollow’s pilot was incredible!!! The 2nd half felt like a mid-seasn finale or finale of a season. LOL! But it was a very well done pilot!

7. Donna says:

Sleepy Hollow’s two leads are interesting and well cast. They also seem to be enjoying the ludicrousness of it all. It reminds me of the off-the-wall charm of Fringe Season 1. Not surprising since it’s also a Kurtzman and Orci production.

8. D says:

I enjoyed Sleepy Hollow but my brother thought they dropped the 4 horseman info too soon. He thought it would have been better to drop that part of the story during the season finale, i can see that it would have made a great surprise

• Jerry says:

Eh, yes and no. I’m actually glad they pretty much explained EVERYTHING in the premiere. Who the Horseman is, what he’s a part of, how Ichabod survived for 200+ years in the ground, that his wife was a witch, where the head was. It opens up vast storytelling potential without weeks of “HOW DID ICHABOD SURVIVE?”

9. DL says:

Sleepy Hollow was a lot of fun. Seems like they’re building a rather weighty mythology. I hope that they have a concrete plan in mind, and that they’re not going to just throw a bunch of stuff out there and sort it out later.

• JCK says:

OK, but right now they’re only dealing with the Horseman of Death. In future they may have to combat Pestilence, Famine and War.

10. Lauren says:

Hmmm might have to check it out. It was on my list of shows to watch if they did well/were well received.

11. Midori4 says:

SO pretty much Sleepy Hollow has about the same ratings of all the other Fall Fox shows that got canceled after one season? Haha

• Maryann says:

No. It exceeded the numbers for The Following.

• If those shows had their premieres at this day & age, they’d be considered hits. The TV landscape has changed drastically over the past five years, and ratings have gone WAY down for all four major broadcast nets. Sleepy Hollow was the top-rated show of the evening with its 3.5 A18-49 rating (okay, the fall season hasn’t officially started yet and The Voice + CBS sitcoms are yet to premiere). But four years ago, the two-hour premiere of House pulled a 6.4 rating. There isn’t a single scripted show on television (broadcast or cable) that pulls in those kinds of numbers anymore. The standard is way lower these days.

• David4 says:

Ummm… those shows have premiered in the last five years.

My point is more, good news, but let’s see how much the ratings fall in the next few episodes.

12. Elyse says:

woohoo!!!!! happy for Under the Dome :) :) one of my summer favorites!

13. lucy says:

Hold your heads BOOM!! Next week and the next will tell the tale for Sleepy Hallow when CBS & NBC are airing new programmes….ABC had NFL in some areas, so it will be interesting to see what the finals ratings are for DWTS…Bones did really well for a 9yr old show, a 2.2 is pretty awesome, heck for any returning show of a certain age.

14. alistaircrane says:

I just hope Sleepy Hollow doesn’t get too procedural or too romantic with the two leads.

• Jill R says:

I don’t want to see a romance between the two leads, other. I don’t see Crane looking for any new love interests since he knows his wife is still out there somewhere…even if it’s on another plane or dimension. The way this show seems to be delving into the supernatural I don’t think it’s beyond reason or expectation that we will eventually see his wife end up in present time with him.

15. Cheryl says:

I loved Sleepy Hollow! Great cast and storytelling!

16. Mikael says:

I hope Fox doesn’t get cancel-happy with this show.

17. Sarah says:

I’m so happy Bones went up from the finale instead of going down. :) But I still hope it gets adjusted up.

18. Eva Said says:

I saw the pilot to Sleepy Hollow and enjoyed it. I say I give it a 7. I just think they need some sort of comedic relief to let the viewers breath for a bit. There was tension after tension and excitement after excitement. It started decently and I hope the writers don’t derail from there. There’s potential, especially since I see it as fantasy meet mystery. Guess it’s just for us to wait and see how it turns out to the small city of Sleepy Hollow. ;)

19. Maryann says:

I liked the whole idea a lot better before it became apparent they are taking the Bibical route. But it played well and I enjoyed it, so I am watching for now.

20. Breck says:

I was hooked the moment I saw the American Revolution angle in the first trailer. It is my favorite part of history to read about, etc and I am glad they are bringing unique ideas and taking different approaches to that time period. I read that they will have a lot of flashbacks to that time and have different takes on the Boston Tea Party, Boston Massacre and Paul Revere’s ride, etc…..

Totally excited. The show being on FOX is the only thing that makes me nervous as they are notorious for cancelling shows early.

21. kirk says:

iff under the dome was so bad to viewers, why did so many watch it. i habent read the book so i enjoyed it

22. Amy says:

I loved Sleepy Hollow! It will be a definitely be staying on my viewing schedule. The next episode looks spectacular, hopefully it will continue to be impressive.

23. Jen says:

Happy to see such great ratings for DWTS! I think this might be the best cast ever. I can’t wait to see the season play out!

24. TV God says:

I doubt this will be the final season for Bones. I hope FOX gives it an early renewal for a full 10th and final season. I would love for the show to go on longer, but I don’t want it to be run into the ground. 10 seasons is a perfect number.

25. monieet says:

I liked Sleepy Hollow until the Revelations twist. Should not fool around with this. I found found the evil aspect uncomfortable. I would watch again if this was changed.

26. Christine says:

I really liked Sleepy Hollow. It was almost like part Supernatural, part X-Files. I hope it doesn’t tank.

27. Ruby says:

I was really pleasantly surprised by Sleepy Hollow. I loved the spin on the old story, the female lead is extremely accessible, warm and likable, Ichabod Crane’s actor is totally committed to the fish-out-of-water POV which made their scenes really work, it was well-paced and well-cast (John Cho! Clancy Brown!) and beautifully shot and that last scene made me physically jump in suspense. I’ll definitely be back for more.

28. I wasn’t sure if I was going to like Sleepy Hollow but OMG I was blown away. It is SO GOOD and not at all what I expected. I cannot wait until the next episode. Should be interesting to see how things stack up once all the networks premier their shows. I know Sleepy Hollow will be one of the shows I watch every week. Now let’s hope it stays good and doesn’t do what “The Following” did and just become asinine and ridiculous.

29. windy4292 says:

on the edge of my seat a few times..great opening..a few chuckles from Ichobod..flashlight in the face, car door, being shot at by cops while holding a severed head in a container, great guest stars too with John Cho, Clancy Brown (some Highlander reference here about his head I’m sure) but will definitely tune in so hope it makes it and Fox gives it a chance before severing its head!!

30. Ron says:

I enjoyed it. Not an ‘A’ in my book, but a solid ‘B’ or ‘B+’ which I think is excellent for a series premier episode. I’ll definitely be tuning back in next Monday. There are a few things this show needs to work out, but I see really good potential for it. Hopefully falling numbers for reality shows and great numbers for a show like this at least begins to send the message to networks that viewers want more quality, scripted programming and less reality drivel.

31. John Sardy says:

Sleepy Hollow is a great place to live and work. We love all the attention!!!

32. Dug the show says:

Reminds of OUAT when it premiered before it got stale 2nd season. Perfect for this time of year, fall, back to school(routine), and Halloween’s coming.

33. Mikael says:

I was surprised at how much I liked this show. I love that it has a mythology with the 4 Horsemen. It’s like Fringe meets Supernatural. I liked when Ichabod tapped the flashlight beam like it would burn his finger. I hope it doesn’t go the way of Once Upon a Time and lose its way (though it looks like Once may have righted itself again, but time will tell)