Fall TV Preview

Modern Family Exclusive: Meet Cam's Sister!

Modern Family Spoilers Cam's SisterModern Family is introducing Cam’s sister in Season 5 — and she comes in the form of a Suburgatory alumna.

Dana Powell — who has portrayed a busybody Chatswinite on the quirky ABC sitcom — has been cast as the aforementioned Family member’s sassy sibling, TVLine has learned exclusively.

PHOTOS | Fall TV Spoiler Spectacular: Exclusive Scoop on Modern Family and 44 Other Returning Faves

During a chat with TVLine last month, executive producer Christopher Lloyd revealed that the series was looking for someone “colorful and believable” to portray Cam’s Midwesterner sis, noting that the pair will share “a little bit of a competitive relationship.”

Powell’s other TV credits include the recent Arrested Development revival, 2 Broke Girls and The Office.

Modern Family premieres Wednesday, Sept. 25 at 9/8c.

Comments (9)

• I’m just glad it isn’t Rebel Wilson or Melissa McCarthy!

Comment by lcs85 – September 17, 2013 04:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You mean the two larger ladies that already have their own shows? Yeah, that’d be horrible.

Comment by Cloudy Knight – September 17, 2013 05:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Personally, I think that Melissa McCarthy would be a perfect casting.

Comment by Matt – September 17, 2013 05:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I agree, Matt. I think that Melissa McCarthy would be a great choice to play a sister or relative of Cameron’s. That will most likely never happen though since she’s already starring on Mike & Molly. If Mike & Molly aired on ABC, then I suppose the producers of the two shows and the network would possibly allow Melissa to guest-star on Modern Family. Unfortunately, that will most likely never happen since the two shows air on competing networks.

Comment by Taylor – September 17, 2013 05:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Melissa McCarthy would have been a great cast for Cam’s sister, but just from the pic above, I think they nailed the resemblance. I am so looking forward to this, Cam is my favorite character and I love the idea of meeting his family!

Comment by The TV Junkies – September 17, 2013 05:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sara Rhue (Rue?) would have been terrific.

Comment by Jeannette – September 17, 2013 06:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Much too stereotypical (hope I spelled that right) I do not find most of the characters real or funny…..Hope it don’t last on USA

Comment by Dick Smith – October 12, 2013 05:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved her on the show!!! Dana is gonna be the next funny girl in Hollywood and you haters need to step aside cause she can act! I laughed my ass off on this episode and I hope the produces are smart enough to bring her back! Such a new treat to an awesome show!

Comment by atown – October 23, 2013 01:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought she did a really good job. Cam is a powerhouse and she held her own. Hope she gets to be on the show more.

Comment by Kathy Peterson – November 19, 2013 10:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post