Major Crimes Exclusive: Jon Tenney Booked for Season 2 Encore as Fritz

Major Crimes Jon Tenney Back as FritzJon Tenney is officially confirmed for a Major Crimes comeback — and in more ways than one.

RELATED | TNT Renews Major Crimes and Two Other Dramas

Fresh off the first-season run of his TNT two-hander King & Maxwell, Tenney will return to his MCD stomping grounds both in front of and behind the camera, TVLine has learned.

Tenney is directing the 15th episode of Major Crimes‘ sophomore run, and then will reprise his role as FBI Agent Fritz Howard in Episode 16. Both outings will air in December, after the show returns from hiatus.

RELATED | TNT’s Falling Skies Renewed for Season 4

Tenney previously has directed one episode each of Major Crimes and its sire The Closer, where he originated the role of Brenda Leigh Johnson’s law enforcement paramour.

“I’ve been told that they would love to have Fritz come by — and I would certainly enjoy doing that,” Tenney recently told TVLine of his possible encore.

Comments (48)

• super happy for that news! it is november yet?!

Comment by ilona @ilonarcari – September 17, 2013 10:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • LOVE HIM IN MAXWELL & KING , HE’S A GREAT ACTOR ,GLAD HE’S BACK.

Comment by VANESSA CRENSHAW – September 17, 2013 02:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Love Jon Tenney great in Closer, king and Maxwell and looking forward to him in Major Crimes

Comment by Louise Hall – October 2, 2013 06:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So that means King and Maxwell is iced?

Comment by Greg – September 17, 2013 10:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes, because he’s doing one episode of Major Crimes and directing one other episode, he can no longer appear on 13 episodes of King and Maxwell. Because making 13 episodes of a TV program is sooo time consuming that one would never have time to appear on or direct a single episode of another program.

Comment by Cloudy Knight – September 17, 2013 11:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You left out that KING & MAXWELL is on production hiatus at this time anyway.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – September 17, 2013 12:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You’re joking, right? Of course John has time to direct Major Crimes’ S02E15 & appear in S02E16 of the series whilst also staring in season two of King & Maxwell, should TNT renew the show for a second season!!… King & Maxwell’s first season ran for just 13 episodes, a fairly typical length for a the first season of a new tv drama. However, many of the long running tv drama’s film a lot more than 13 episodes per season. For instance, Castle, Bones, CSI, SVU, Hawaii 5-0, The Mentalist, NCIS, The Good Wife, Elementary, Chicago Fire, NCIS LA & Grey’s Anatomy all film 20+ episodes per season. Many of the lead actors from these shows are also cast in a number of other tv/movies roles each year in addition to their main tv roles…. So yeah, John sure mange both!!…. I loved King & Maxwell. The characters were so well cast & the story lines were great too. I really hope it’s renewed for a second season, especially as its just that little bit different to the most of other crime based drama’s on our tv screens today.

Comment by lexhayes – September 17, 2013 02:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Notice this? A decision on King & Maxwell’s future, meanwhile, is expected sometime this month, showrunner Shane Brennan has told TVLine.

Comment by Jon Cohen (@JonUPS_) – September 20, 2013 02:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope that king & Maxwell will be back !! I really like the show !!!

Comment by donna winder – September 17, 2013 10:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Bring back King and Maxwell love this show………….

Comment by Marie Hansen – September 17, 2013 11:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hot damn, bring back King and Maxwell! Well crafted characters!

Comment by Barbara – September 19, 2013 05:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really hope they bring back King and Maxwell, love the show.

Comment by Caralina Smith – September 17, 2013 10:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would rather you were announcing a renewal of King & Maxwell ;-)

Comment by Michelle – September 17, 2013 10:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope King and Maxwell will be back!!

Comment by Becky – September 17, 2013 11:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Me too! Loved it!!

Comment by Stacy Rhodes – September 17, 2013 02:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Pls bring back king and maxwell love that show

Comment by Sonia Steers – September 17, 2013 11:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • was a loyal closer watcher own the complete dvd collection. Jon is and remains one of my fav’s…I was surprised that the network and the writers didn’t allow much in the way of continuity from closer to major crimes…I am watching major crimes…I look forward to seeing Jon I hope he remains Brenda’s husband and that Kira will return for the trial of “the one that almost got away” If I was writing it would all be connected with all the characters from closer to major crimes to the trial. I have an idea who might be the note writer but I won’t reveal it just yet. By the way, I am a king and Maxwell follower as well. so I hope the network will give us more of them. they are just starting to gel together and it would be a shame for it to end before it really begins. for demographics sake I am a married woman in my early 50′s three grown children and three grandchildren. work full time etc. live and work in las vegas nv.

Comment by robin – September 17, 2013 11:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I fee the same way that you do about all three shows, I have watched the closer from the start, and I hated to see Brenda (kyran) leave the show.They always seem to get ride of the best ones to me.

Comment by Barbara – September 17, 2013 12:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m with you, robin!!

Comment by Eliza Sewell – September 17, 2013 01:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree too! LOVED the Closer and Jon and Kyra’s relationship. I like Major Crimes too and hope they do tie the two together especially for the trial.

Comment by Joy – September 17, 2013 01:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I would love when they do the trial portion of the show to see a cast reunion so to speak, Brenda in court!! with Fritzy of course

Comment by Jysn – September 18, 2013 12:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It would be fantastic if Kyra reprised her role for the trial of Phillip Strobe. I think that they really need that to make it realistic, if they show any of his trial.

Comment by kimski – September 18, 2013 10:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please bring back King and Maxwell.
    great show,great chemistry

Comment by Jamie rappeline – September 17, 2013 11:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can we get the most adorable and sexy TV couple Brenda and Fritz back, please? I miss that chemistry, writing and interaction between them.

Comment by Maya – September 17, 2013 11:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I sure hope King and Maxwell is renewed!!! Great show!!!

Comment by sulayn – September 17, 2013 11:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YAYYYYYY!!!! Fritzy’s coming back!!!!

Comment by Lisa – September 17, 2013 11:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glad he will be coming back and hope he stays!!!!!

Comment by P.J. – September 17, 2013 11:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Jon Tenney and love his character Fritz. I do hope though King & Maxwell does get picked up for a 2nd season. I really enjoyed the show. I know a lot of people have mixed feelings about the show but come on TNT give it another chance.

Comment by bostongreekgirl (@BostonGreekgirl) – September 17, 2013 11:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really like Jon Tenny and thoroughly enjoyed King and Maxwell. I also loved him as Fritz. This is a talented man and I have no doubt that he is capable of doin both shows. he didn’t have a strong enough roll as Fritz.

Comment by Lyn – September 17, 2013 11:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WHOO HOO! NOW, please have Brenda Leigh visit?? LOVE MAJOR CRIMES!!!!

Comment by Freda Warlick – September 17, 2013 11:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • King and Maxwell deserves a 2nd season, really enjoyed that show!

Comment by Mike McTague – September 17, 2013 12:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Major Crimes and King & Maxwell. I also love Rizzoli & Isles and Perception. These shows are refreshing and entertaining. Jon Tenny is gorgeous I would love seeing him in both shows and would love to see Kira do a couple of cameos on Major Crimes. Please,TNT keep these shows going and we need more like them to cover Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. Come on TNT writers get your thinking caps on.

Comment by ginny b. – September 17, 2013 12:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • King and Maxwell is super great. Give it another season.

Comment by dom rizzo – September 17, 2013 01:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Like him in both roles and would love to see him as undercover so he can keep the not so neat appearance…..HOT, very HOT

Comment by Ethel – September 17, 2013 01:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Want King & Maxwell back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Nancy E – September 17, 2013 03:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think it’s great that he will be making an appearance in MCD, he was one of my favorites from The Closer. I love King & Maxwell also, so I do hope it comes back..they can’t leave us hanging..lol.

Comment by Stormi D Johnson – September 17, 2013 04:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • love jon tenney in anything he does…..will watch for sure!!!!

Comment by karla van amersfort – September 17, 2013 04:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bring King and Maxwell back. It will be good to have Fritz back too.

Comment by Susan hamilton – September 17, 2013 05:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I want King & Maxwell back it is my new favorite show now!!=-) Jon looks so much cuter in the picture above!! Why did he look like hell on the first season of King & Maxwell for? He better look much better in the second season, if there is one!!

Comment by Marie – September 17, 2013 06:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Really like King and Maxwell. Good actors and story line. Love Major Crimes. Every actor is perfect for their part. As much as I loved and still miss ‘The Closer’, you couldn’t have done better than Major Crimes. Please give King and Maxwell another season, they are that good together and love the story line in DC.

Comment by Karen – September 17, 2013 08:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • yea really Love Fritz, John is also great in King and Maxwell, hope it comes back. Can’t wait…

Comment by Carol – September 18, 2013 07:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My wife and I tend to watch different shows on TV, but one of the few exceptions is King and Maxwell. The characters were well designed and the stories carefully plotted. I appreciate the opportunity to sound off about a show as good as this one was.

Comment by J.R. House – September 19, 2013 08:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Really enjoyed King & Maxwell and I was really surprised as well as disappointed that the Show was cancelled … It really was different , than anything on T.v. …..

Comment by Houston Bagwell – October 29, 2013 09:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My family would love to know how to reach out and get through to TNT that there is a strong audience wishing they would get smart and renew King & Maxwell, one of the better shows, so eagerly anticipated each week by so many? Loved seeing David Baldacci’s intelligently intricate novels featuring the highly very delightful and likable King & Maxwell characters, expertly melding in characters from several of the stories into the reugular lineup. So much Tv scriptt potential awaited with all the material provided in the novels–didn’t any of “the powers that be” read them and think ahead? Please provide we the audience who yearns for something beyond the simplistic a viewing option! The vast majority of TNT shows–with the exception of Major Crimes–could easily be scrubbed instead. SOMEONE PLEASE HEAR US!!!–Submitted by a seriously important target demographic—and what HAD BEEN a TNT viewer.

Comment by Debra – November 1, 2013 09:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’d tweet them and post on their facebook page. I’m annoyed at the cancellation too.

Comment by MK204 – December 8, 2013 03:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • can’t wait for majorcrimes to return nov25. sorry about kingandmaxwell but at least we will see him again. loved brenda but i think the character of sharon really good especially the storyline with rusty. also glad to see the rest of cast more in the loop. also luv rizzoliandisles. i do miss leverage tho

Comment by barbara – November 4, 2013 10:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glad Jon Tenney is reprising his role. Major Crimes needs help. This show is not half as good as The Closer was. I am thoroughly disappointed that TNT and CBS, or whoever is responsible, canceled King & Maxwell.

Comment by LL – December 8, 2013 03:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • After watching this particular episode and under Jon Tenney’s direction he really has the ability to pull emotions from his actors while keeping the pace fast moving. I hope he is given the chance to direct more as he really captures the essence of the episodes. Wonderful.

Comment by Heidi – December 16, 2013 09:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post