Exclusive

Major Crimes Exclusive: Jon Tenney Booked for Season 2 Encore as Fritz

Major Crimes Jon Tenney Back as FritzJon Tenney is officially confirmed for a Major Crimes comeback — and in more ways than one.

RELATED | TNT Renews Major Crimes and Two Other Dramas

Fresh off the first-season run of his TNT two-hander King & Maxwell, Tenney will return to his MCD stomping grounds both in front of and behind the camera, TVLine has learned.

Tenney is directing the 15th episode of Major Crimes‘ sophomore run, and then will reprise his role as FBI Agent Fritz Howard in Episode 16. Both outings will air in December, after the show returns from hiatus.

RELATED | TNT’s Falling Skies Renewed for Season 4

Tenney previously has directed one episode each of Major Crimes and its sire The Closer, where he originated the role of Brenda Leigh Johnson’s law enforcement paramour.

“I’ve been told that they would love to have Fritz come by — and I would certainly enjoy doing that,” Tenney recently told TVLine of his possible encore.

1. ilona @ilonarcari says:

super happy for that news! it is november yet?!

2. Greg says:

So that means King and Maxwell is iced?

• Cloudy Knight says:

Yes, because he’s doing one episode of Major Crimes and directing one other episode, he can no longer appear on 13 episodes of King and Maxwell. Because making 13 episodes of a TV program is sooo time consuming that one would never have time to appear on or direct a single episode of another program.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

You left out that KING & MAXWELL is on production hiatus at this time anyway.

• lexhayes says:

You’re joking, right? Of course John has time to direct Major Crimes’ S02E15 & appear in S02E16 of the series whilst also staring in season two of King & Maxwell, should TNT renew the show for a second season!!… King & Maxwell’s first season ran for just 13 episodes, a fairly typical length for a the first season of a new tv drama. However, many of the long running tv drama’s film a lot more than 13 episodes per season. For instance, Castle, Bones, CSI, SVU, Hawaii 5-0, The Mentalist, NCIS, The Good Wife, Elementary, Chicago Fire, NCIS LA & Grey’s Anatomy all film 20+ episodes per season. Many of the lead actors from these shows are also cast in a number of other tv/movies roles each year in addition to their main tv roles…. So yeah, John sure mange both!!…. I loved King & Maxwell. The characters were so well cast & the story lines were great too. I really hope it’s renewed for a second season, especially as its just that little bit different to the most of other crime based drama’s on our tv screens today.

• Notice this? A decision on King & Maxwell’s future, meanwhile, is expected sometime this month, showrunner Shane Brennan has told TVLine.

3. donna winder says:

I hope that king & Maxwell will be back !! I really like the show !!!

4. I really hope they bring back King and Maxwell, love the show.

5. Michelle says:

I would rather you were announcing a renewal of King & Maxwell ;-)

6. Becky says:

I hope King and Maxwell will be back!!

7. Sonia Steers says:

Pls bring back king and maxwell love that show

8. robin says:

was a loyal closer watcher own the complete dvd collection. Jon is and remains one of my fav’s…I was surprised that the network and the writers didn’t allow much in the way of continuity from closer to major crimes…I am watching major crimes…I look forward to seeing Jon I hope he remains Brenda’s husband and that Kira will return for the trial of “the one that almost got away” If I was writing it would all be connected with all the characters from closer to major crimes to the trial. I have an idea who might be the note writer but I won’t reveal it just yet. By the way, I am a king and Maxwell follower as well. so I hope the network will give us more of them. they are just starting to gel together and it would be a shame for it to end before it really begins. for demographics sake I am a married woman in my early 50’s three grown children and three grandchildren. work full time etc. live and work in las vegas nv.

• Barbara says:

I fee the same way that you do about all three shows, I have watched the closer from the start, and I hated to see Brenda (kyran) leave the show.They always seem to get ride of the best ones to me.

• Eliza Sewell says:

I’m with you, robin!!

• Joy says:

I agree too! LOVED the Closer and Jon and Kyra’s relationship. I like Major Crimes too and hope they do tie the two together especially for the trial.

• Jysn says:

I would love when they do the trial portion of the show to see a cast reunion so to speak, Brenda in court!! with Fritzy of course

• kimski says:

It would be fantastic if Kyra reprised her role for the trial of Phillip Strobe. I think that they really need that to make it realistic, if they show any of his trial.

9. Please bring back King and Maxwell.
    great show,great chemistry

10. Maya says:

Can we get the most adorable and sexy TV couple Brenda and Fritz back, please? I miss that chemistry, writing and interaction between them.

11. sulayn says:

I sure hope King and Maxwell is renewed!!! Great show!!!

12. Lisa says:

YAYYYYYY!!!! Fritzy’s coming back!!!!

13. P.J. says:

Glad he will be coming back and hope he stays!!!!!

14. I love Jon Tenney and love his character Fritz. I do hope though King & Maxwell does get picked up for a 2nd season. I really enjoyed the show. I know a lot of people have mixed feelings about the show but come on TNT give it another chance.

15. Lyn says:

I really like Jon Tenny and thoroughly enjoyed King and Maxwell. I also loved him as Fritz. This is a talented man and I have no doubt that he is capable of doin both shows. he didn’t have a strong enough roll as Fritz.

16. WHOO HOO! NOW, please have Brenda Leigh visit?? LOVE MAJOR CRIMES!!!!

17. Mike McTague says:

King and Maxwell deserves a 2nd season, really enjoyed that show!

18. ginny b. says:

I love Major Crimes and King & Maxwell. I also love Rizzoli & Isles and Perception. These shows are refreshing and entertaining. Jon Tenny is gorgeous I would love seeing him in both shows and would love to see Kira do a couple of cameos on Major Crimes. Please,TNT keep these shows going and we need more like them to cover Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. Come on TNT writers get your thinking caps on.

19. dom rizzo says:

King and Maxwell is super great. Give it another season.

20. Ethel says:

Like him in both roles and would love to see him as undercover so he can keep the not so neat appearance…..HOT, very HOT

21. Nancy E says:

Want King & Maxwell back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

22. I think it’s great that he will be making an appearance in MCD, he was one of my favorites from The Closer. I love King & Maxwell also, so I do hope it comes back..they can’t leave us hanging..lol.

23. karla van amersfort says:

love jon tenney in anything he does…..will watch for sure!!!!

24. Susan hamilton says:

Bring King and Maxwell back. It will be good to have Fritz back too.

25. Marie says:

I want King & Maxwell back it is my new favorite show now!!=-) Jon looks so much cuter in the picture above!! Why did he look like hell on the first season of King & Maxwell for? He better look much better in the second season, if there is one!!

26. Karen says:

Really like King and Maxwell. Good actors and story line. Love Major Crimes. Every actor is perfect for their part. As much as I loved and still miss ‘The Closer’, you couldn’t have done better than Major Crimes. Please give King and Maxwell another season, they are that good together and love the story line in DC.

27. Carol says:

yea really Love Fritz, John is also great in King and Maxwell, hope it comes back. Can’t wait…

28. J.R. House says:

My wife and I tend to watch different shows on TV, but one of the few exceptions is King and Maxwell. The characters were well designed and the stories carefully plotted. I appreciate the opportunity to sound off about a show as good as this one was.

29. Really enjoyed King & Maxwell and I was really surprised as well as disappointed that the Show was cancelled … It really was different , than anything on T.v. …..

30. Debra says:

My family would love to know how to reach out and get through to TNT that there is a strong audience wishing they would get smart and renew King & Maxwell, one of the better shows, so eagerly anticipated each week by so many? Loved seeing David Baldacci’s intelligently intricate novels featuring the highly very delightful and likable King & Maxwell characters, expertly melding in characters from several of the stories into the reugular lineup. So much Tv scriptt potential awaited with all the material provided in the novels–didn’t any of “the powers that be” read them and think ahead? Please provide we the audience who yearns for something beyond the simplistic a viewing option! The vast majority of TNT shows–with the exception of Major Crimes–could easily be scrubbed instead. SOMEONE PLEASE HEAR US!!!–Submitted by a seriously important target demographic—and what HAD BEEN a TNT viewer.

31. barbara says:

can’t wait for majorcrimes to return nov25. sorry about kingandmaxwell but at least we will see him again. loved brenda but i think the character of sharon really good especially the storyline with rusty. also glad to see the rest of cast more in the loop. also luv rizzoliandisles. i do miss leverage tho

32. LL says:

Glad Jon Tenney is reprising his role. Major Crimes needs help. This show is not half as good as The Closer was. I am thoroughly disappointed that TNT and CBS, or whoever is responsible, canceled King & Maxwell.

33. Heidi says:

After watching this particular episode and under Jon Tenney’s direction he really has the ability to pull emotions from his actors while keeping the pace fast moving. I hope he is given the chance to direct more as he really captures the essence of the episodes. Wonderful.

34. andrea isom says:

I am so glad he is going to be on MAJOR CRIMES. MAKES ME HAPPY.