Mad Men's Final Season Gets Bad Treatment, Will Air in Two Separate 7-Episode Batches

Mad Men Final SeasonAMC is giving Don Draper a two-year sendoff.

Mirroring a strategy the cable net employed with Breaking Bad, Mad Men‘s 14-episode seventh and final season will air in two separate 7-episode halves.

The first batch, titled “The Beginning,” will air in spring 2014, while the second, “The End of an Era,” will air in spring 2015.

RELATED | Cable Renewal Scorecard: What’s Cancelled? What’s Returning? What’s on the Bubble?

“We plan to take advantage of this chance to have a more elaborate story told in two parts, which can resonate a little bit longer in the minds of our audience,” said Mad Men creator Matthew Weiner in a statement. “The writers, cast and other artists welcome this unique manner of ending this unique experience.”

PHOTOS | Fall TV Spoiler Spectacular: Exclusive Pics and Scoops on 45 Returning Favorites

“This approach has worked well for many programs across multiple networks, and, most recently for us with Breaking Bad which attracted nearly double the number of viewers to its second half premiere than had watched any previous episode,” said AMC prez Charlie Collier. “We are determined to bring Mad Men a similar showcase.  In an era where high-end content is savored and analyzed, and catch-up time is used well to drive back to live events, we believe this is the best way to release the now 14 episodes that remain of this iconic series.”

Thoughts? Love it? Hate it? Weigh in below!

1. Meredith says:

*facepalm*

• reccer says:

Like Breaking Bad, they’re clearly doing this for the Emmys.

• eileen says:

totally. Trying to milk it for all it’s worth. If you do not have enough story to tell for two separate seasons, then you make one season. Don’t split it into two halves. Breaking Bad at least had the suspenseful, cliff-hanger angle. Mad Men does not have the same NEED-TO-KNOW-WHAT-IS GOING-TO-HAPPEN-RIGHT-NOW! effect on people, so I could totally see this backfiring. And, as awful as it sounds, I kind of hope it does!!

2. Sam says:

This best be a joke….. a very bad joke……

3. Ari says:

This is moronic. It was moronic when they did it to Breaking Bad and it’s moronic now. if you want the show to go on for two more years then give it two seasons. Thumbs down AMC.

4. Evan says:

A cheap plot for awards…7 episodes does not a season make.

5. Eric says:

Ridiculous!!! Give me my Mad Men in one final stretch!!!

6. Thilia says:

Done. Just won’t even bother with it until the DVD comes out in 2016.

• toomuchtime says:

I agree 100%. This show was really great at first, but the introduction of Megan ruined it for me. She added nothing. They have dragged this show on and on – definitely not worth it!

• Jake says:

Even now I’m not watching the final half of Breaking Bad because I’ve chosen to wait for the DVD (or in my case Netflix) so I can watch all of season 5 in one go.

• Jayjay says:

It makes no sense to wait until 2016 if you’re upset about having to wait until 2015.

7. David S says:

Nope, not dealing with this. I’ll watch it when it’s all on netflix.

8. Mister Stockwell says:

That’s complete crap! Way to punish loyal viewers AMC.

9. mike c says:

ugh, so annoying and unnecessary. wait until the walking dead ends, it’ll be shown across three years.

10. johnhelvete says:

Blatant Emmy grab.

11. Fox says:

Dick move from a greedy network.

12. About time that MAD MEN is ending until 2015. Guess it’s still no Emmy love not just the series but the actors from the likes of Jon Hamm, Elisabeth Moss, Christina Hendricks and John Slattery among others.

13. JoJo says:

YES, what they said (everybody above)! The pace of the show is slow all on its own. Great show, and until now, it’s been must see TV. So other than for award ops or just for news headlines, why take a show that moves at the pace of a snail and put it into slo-mo? AMC, it’s easy to pull the plug on a show these days, wait too long and folks forget, or other shows become must see TV.

14. Alice says:

Stupid move… and the Actors are okay with being tied to this extended contract showing?
    Not in favor of this ““We plan to take advantage of this chance to have a more elaborate story told in two parts, which can resonate a little bit longer in the minds of our audience”

it’s not really an elaborate story…. sheesh

15. Meredith says:

“This approach has worked well for many programs across multiple networks, and, most recently for us with Breaking Bad which attracted nearly double the number of viewers to its second half premiere than had watched any previous episode,”said AMC president Charlie Collier in a statement. Only difference is Breaking Bad started great and kept getting better. Mad Men has gotten progressively (perhaps arguably) weaker and weaker.

16. Kaitlynn Smith says:

Reblogged this on Friends, Waffles, and Work and commented:
    I find this to be a tad annoying and unnecessary. After their extremely weak season 6, I’m ready for this show to end. It’s a great show with a lot of merit, but dragging it out like this is killing it (and me). It’s exhausting.

17. Sean says:

So help me God if there’s a Talking Mad…

18. James Davis says:

Horse Crap! I’ll just wait for it to come out on Netflix, like all the other competent viewers on this thread. I’ll say this, AMC is REALLY starting to fu*k it’s viewers over with the stunts they’ve been pulling the past couple of years.

19. Sherri Basnett says:

Breaking Bad milked it for lots more viewers – IE advertising dollars – much to the disinterest and boredom of original viewers! Horrible way to treat loyal fans!

20. C.White says:

What a bunch of show-off jerks.

21. Cloudy Knight says:

There is no reason to space them out so far apart. Want to split the season, fine. 7 episodes in Spring 2014 and 7 episodes in the fall. Done and done.

22. CH says:

It’s bad enough every movie franchise feels the need to split the final movie into two parts, but now TV shows, too? Blatant cash/ratings/awards grab.

23. Tony Baker says:

The Sopranos did this during its final year (as did Breaking Bad, of course), and The Walking Dead’s been doing it every year since Season 2. As usual, it sucks, and exists purely as a ploy for AMC to effectively get 2 more seasons out of the show, while only paying for one.

• steven says:

Sex and the City’s and Battlestar Galactica’s final seasons were split into 2 parts too.

• Yasin says:

The Walking Dead does not take a year long break. I don’t think a show like Mad Men where it isn’t as fast paced as the other shows that you mentioned can handle having a split season. With Breaking Bad especially every episode in this final season is as if it were a movie. Each episode builds upon on the one that aired before it. It gets better and better every season. I think like everyone is saying they’re only doing it to milk the cow as much as possible

• Gary says:

Well not quite. Walking dead does a FALL season and a SPRING season…they haven’t been spaced an entire year apart like Mad Men wants to do and Breaking Bad has done.

24. Veronica says:

Everyone has pretty much said it all, except, they’ll get more money for the DVD’s when the season is split like this. Just look at the prices for Breaking Bad seasons 5 & 6. It’s a shame that a show that started out so well has been reduced to this. Oh, and I’ll be 71 (I hope).

25. Louise Trapp says:

I disagree with it and dragging it on that long? Not..a good move. I am a fan who not only has watched it each and every season, but; I also have purchased each season on DVD because I love the show. I think it’s wrong to do it this way. Shame on AMC.

26. MadaboutMadmenNoMore says:

I have a better idea, 14 hour long specials carrying us into mid 2020s! All AMC has left is The Walking Dead. They must be $hitting themselves!

27. Louise Trapp says:

Lets start the series and then let’s get it done! No need to keep it moving over nearly two years. Also, hopefully the pace will pick up because the reason no Emmys last time, the show has lost some of the fast paced dynamic tone it once held. No do not do it over 2 x 7…yuck.

28. cas says:

They really should do something like air half in the spring and the other half in the fall. ABC family splits their seasons and I like it very much. I don’t want to wait a whole year like I did for BB.

29. Cheeky says:

Probably doing this b/c they don’t have any good shows left show. Breaking Bad is ending, Low Winter Sun is…meh, The Killing got canceled, so all they have is Hell on Wheels and Walking Dead. Either way, not liking this

30. Whatever says:

This may of worked for BB because it’s a GREAT show on every level
    Sadly Mad Men has become a mediocre show that should be allowed to end.
    The actors are good but they can only perform what is on the page.

31. Superhero says:

It seems like every day, AMC does something new to lessen my confidence in their long-term prospects. Mistreating talented writers, ordering unnecessary spinoffs, needlessly prolonging the end of their few good shows, etc. I can only wonder what they’ll do next…

32. Jo says:

That statement is such BS. The want more home video revenue. That is all.

33. Billy says:

Let’s petition AMC and Weiner.
    If they don’t reverse this stupid decision, we will not watch live… Goodbye AD dollars. Apparently that’s all they care about.

34. Christie says:

Thanks. I might be dead by 2015. AMC can suck at times, like cancelling The Killing.

35. Timothy j.Baxter says:

Mad Men, Breaking Bad couldn’t and shouldn’t last for ever. MAD MEN has lost it’s steam.
    I don’t know what AMC is doing with WALKING DEAD! Splitting it’s new season over two
    years!

36. Jeannette says:

This kind of break makes no sense from a narrative storytelling perspective–if they actually cared about the audience who is watching. For me, I’ll wait for the DVD. Mad Men has been so “the emperor has no clothes’ for seasons now. How Weiner must laugh as he pulls the wool over the fans! Laughing all the way to the bank. Greedy producers, greedy creative types, whoever is responsible for this decision: IT STINKS.

37. Faye says:

Bad idea…rediculous….hate it!

38. Kris says:

This is infuriating. If you are going to split it up over two years, at least give us 10eps a year, not 7.

39. Jscott says:

Hate this! No fans are going to be happy about this, it’s so obnoxious. They can’t even bother to make it an even 8 episodes per “season” (Whatever!)… 7 episodes is ridiculous. Greedy and LAZY!

40. Belle says:

Not happy, impressed, nor do I think I’m sticking around this show any longer…I’m peeved at how we viewers (who are customers) are treated with so little respect when it comes to our likes/dislikes. If it weren’t for us you wouldn’t even still be around!!!!! Can’t TPTB stop dragging shows out over such a LONG period of time??? I think Emmy consideration should be limited to a show that airs at least 14 episodes in a current season; not these choppy, ridiculous 7 shows in 2014 that counts as a season and then only 7 additional episodes in 2015 that equals a season?? I mean come on, that is just insane!!!!! BOYCOTTING “Mad Men” because this is Madness…I’m out!!!

41. Annie says:

Total Crap!! They need to at least do 7 episodes in the Spring and then the final 7 in the Fall…not sticking around if they indeed follow this schedule!!! Dear Powers That Be: you are alienating the very people who put Mad Men on the map, why, why, why??!! Adios muchachos!

42. j says:

let’s not pretend this is about anything other than AMC milking this cow for all its worth, along with itunes and everyone else. this has nothing to do with the story and even less to do with viewer enjoyment.

43. danielle h says:

Wow. This is a joke. Way to fail amc.

44. O says:

I hate this idea. I agree that it worked well for Breaking Bad, but that’s because they took the summer. There’s a big difference between taking three months and an entire year to end a show. I like Mad Men a lot but this is pushing it.

45. Kat says:

Honestly, I think Breaking Bad’s rating surge has more to do with quality and positive word of mouth than it’s 8/8 season 5.

• Paul says:

I couldn’t agree more. For Mad Men to try to compare itself to Breaking Bad is just ludicrous!

• anna says:

Ludicrous? Mad Men won four best drama series Emmys in a row. Let’s see if BB can even win one.

• Paul says:

C’mon. Everyone knows that the Emmys, like the Oscars is nothing but a crappy popularity contest. Those awards have nothing to do with quality and everything to do with how many people you can buy off with gifts and swag!@

46. leo says:

could they be anymore desperate to get Jonn Ham an emmy?

47. Paul says:

It totally sucks. I think that last season was just awful and frankly I won’t bother watching the last season whether it’s in one or two parts. This show went on about 2 seasons too long already! I’m outta here!

48. Sara says:

With a whole year between the two, they should just call it what it is: season 7 and season 8. This is ridiculous.