Ask Ausiello: Rookie Blue, Castle, SVU, Justified, Nikita, TVD, Parenthood, HIMYM and More!

Justified Season 5Got a scoop request? An anonymous tip you’re dying to share? Send any/all of the above to askausiello@tvline.com

Question: Dude. Justified. Hit me. —Don
Ausiello: For Season 5, the FX drama is going back to the Cuckoo Crime Family From Hell conceit popularized by the Bennetts of Season 2 (RIP, Mags). This time around, we’ll be introduced to the white trash Florida-based Crowe clan, led by the sexy, charismatic and ruthless fortysomething patriarch Dale. Officially, the Crowes run a gator farm. Unofficially, they deal drugs and murder people and stuff. Dale’s inner circle includes sister Wendy (the public face of the family) and younger brother Danny (described as a romantic sociopath). Got casting tips? Hit the comments!

PHOTOS | Fall TV Spoiler Spectacular: Exclusive Pics and Scoops on 45 Returning Favorites

Question: Let’s assume Kate takes the job in DC on Castle. How long might the stint last before she returns to the 12th precinct? —Megan
Ausiello: If she takes the job in the nation’s capital — and that’s still a big if — I’ll hazard a guess that she’ll stay put for somewhere between two and five episodes.

Question: Do you have any info on NCIS, Castle or The Mentalist? –Jang
Ausiello: I choose Door No. 2! Lisa Edelstein told our Matt Mitovich that, regardless of how her character — a federal agent who factors into Beckett’s career conundrum — gets on with Kate, she and Stana Katic became the fastest of friends during her three-episode guest-starring turn. “I really didn’t want to do an arc on a show without really investing as much as I could in it, so I walked onto that show with a lot of ideas and wanting to create a real character — and Stana was psyched about that,” the House alumna happily reports. “Those things can go many different directions,” she adds with a laugh, “so I was really happy that she was so gracious.”

VDQuestion: Any scoop on Janina Gavankar’s Vampire Diaries character? —Justine
Ausiello: I hear she’s a real *itch.

Question: Too early for some scoop on season three of Dallas? —Dylan
Ausiello: Actually, your timing is perfect. I just learned that the show is adding a major new female character in Season 3, which starts shooting Oct. 2. The newbie, Heather, is described as a “freckle-faced tomboy” who works as a ranch hand and has a history of making terrible choices when it comes to men. Rumor has it she’s attracted to bad boys, so that noise you hear is the sound of J.R.’s harem expanding. (Hear it?!)

RELATED | Fall TV: Your Handy Calendar of 100+ Season and Series Premiere Dates

Question: Nikita scoop, please? Am I right to assume these last six episodes are going to blow us away? —Steph
Ausiello: Yes, you are absolutely, 100 percent right to assume that. You would also be absolutely, 100 percent right to assume that our titular heroine, who went MIA in the finale, will rejoin the team sooner versus later. “The first episode starts with her on the run,” previews co-star Lyndsy Fonseca. “And by the end of it, she’s back with the team.” Bonus Scoop: We hear Nik is keeping company with a pretty rough crowd during her time on the lam.

Question: Loved Sleepy Hollow and thrilled it did so well in the ratings. Got anything on Episode 2? —Henry
Ausiello: Though he very much died in the premiere, we have by no means seen the last of John Cho’s Andy.

Question: Please tell me that you have something about Zoe and Wade’s future in Season 3 of Hart of Dixie? Will they be back together at some point? – Lindsey
Ausiello: I’m sure they’ll get back together at some point. But for now, my hunch is Zoe will have her hands full (not literally because that would be dirty) with Josh Cooke’s new Joel character, whom Dixie creator Leila Gerstein says will be around “for a major arc.” Gerstein doesn’t outright confirm that Joel is coming in as a love interest for ex-Manhattanite Zoe, but her description of him as a “New Yorker moving to Bluebell” paints a pretty conclusive picture, no?

Will and GunnarQuestion: I love Chris Carmack on Nashville. What can you tell me about Will’s love life this season? —Andy
Ausiello: You already know that Will is going to spend some time hooking up trying to figure out what his heart really wants, but showrunner Dee Johnson says that despite their awkward encounter on the couch last season, none of Will’s angst will involve Gunnar. “They worked through it, shockingly and admirably,” she tells TVLine. “I don’t think we’re in a situation going forward where he’s going to be pining for Gunnar. They’re friends. Genuine friends.”

Question: I’d love some scoop on the Miles/Rachel dynamic on Revolution this season. Any movement with these two? —Claire
Ausiello: “It’s going to go back and forth a bit, as those things do,” Billy Burke shares with a wink. As Season 2 opens — dropping a big piece hint along the way that things were hot-n-heavy ‘tween the two in the past — “It’s a little chilly, and then it warms up a bit,” Burke says. “And then things ensue that cause another rift.”

RELATED | New TV Season Predictions: Bones/SOA Deaths? A Good Wife Exit? Parenthood Divorce?

Question: I might’ve been the only person watching Whitney, but I really miss Whitney Cummings. Any chance she’ll take a more active role – maybe even on screen? – in 2 Broke Girls? —Rena
Ausiello: Even though the comedienne has “got so much DNA in the show” she co-created, executive producer Michael Patrick King says, “she’s touring and doing her stand-up.” (That would be a “no,” then, Rena.) If it’s any consolation, King adds that Cummings “may write a couple of scripts.”

Question: I spent all summer figuring out how SVU will #SaveBenson! Any hints on the premiere? –Erica
Ausiello: It’s “harrowing, challenging and worthwhile,” says Dan Florek of the two-hour opener, which picks up right where the finale left off — with Mariska Hargitay’s Benson being held at gunpoint by William “Burnt Fingertips” Lewis. “I had no idea what was going to happen [in the premiere],” adds the actor, “so when we sat down and read it, first of all I was very moved by it and challenged by it. And then I thought, ‘Boy, Mariska is in for a rough ride.'” Meanwhile, even though the episode is two hours, executive producer Warren Leight says he’s “hesitant to call it a ‘two-parter,'” despite the fact that “the story plays out over both episodes. “That’s very different for SVU. We usually wipe the screen clean after each episode.”

Question: Will Sarah Ramos be back for Season 5 of Parenthood? —Jesus
Ausiello: I answered this Q a few weeks back, but I’ll let Jason Katims confirm it himself. P’hood‘s boss tells us there are no current plans for Haddie to pay the family a visit. “It’s always a question of finding the right story combined with Sarah’s availability,” he adds. “We sort of dealt with this a lot starting on Friday Night Lights, where so many of our characters wound up graduating from high school and sort of leaving the show, and sometimes coming back for either one or a series of episodes, or sometimes a lot of episodes.”

Question: Will Robin Daggers’ How I Met Your Mother encore be set in the present or will it be a flashback? The presence of William Zabka in this pic makes me think it’s the former. —Tessa
Ausiello: I assumed the same. But then I sniffed around and found out it’s another flashback. So I guess I made an ass out of U and someone named Med?

Question: Any Bones wedding scoop? —Cara
Ausiello: How about a first look at the groom! (Photo Credit: David Boreanaz)

Question: The Rookie Blue finale was nuts. Got anything to tide us over until Season 5? Have we seen the last of Marlo? —Georgia
Ausiello: Although the writers room doesn’t start up until October — production starts later than usual in January to match the winter setting of the Season 4 finale — and no storyline decisions are set, executive producer Tassie Cameron concedes that Marlo’s professional future looks murky. “We have really, really loved that character,” she says. “That character grew on us. And [Rachael Ancheril] is incredible and lovely. That moment at the end when she cries at the lockers is one of my favorite moments of the episode, for sure. But it would be very hard to imagine her having a regular police job after this. So we’ll have to figure that out.”

RELATED | Rookie Blue Finale Post Mortem: Show’s Boss Talks Andy’s Romantic Future, Chloe’s Secret and More!

Question: Can I get some Mindy Project scoop? — Felipe
Ausiello: Danny will be issuing a Stalker Alert in November when his crazy eyed ex-girlfriend — who also happens to be his neighbor — becomes obsessed with him. In an effort to neutralize Psycho Amy, Mindy poses as Danny’s GF – which creates a whole new crisis.

Question: Is there a chance Warlow will return to True Blood next season as a ghost? Perhaps to win Sookie’s redemption to move on? —Tom
Ausiello: There’s a chance, but it’s a very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very slim one.

That’s a wrap! Please send questions, comments, and anonymous tips to askausiello@tvline.com. (Additional reporting by Meg Masters, Vlada Gelman and Kim Roots)

1. Brendan says:

Dexter is done forever this upcoming weekend and you got nothing?!?!

2. Maria says:

I’m really pissed about Rookie Blue. I can’t stand Sam/Andy as a pairing – yet they always go there. Poor Nick.

• Alex says:

I wish they didn’t keep shoving Andy and Sam together. It finally seemed like she was making progress and developing, and all of it was suddenly dropped in an instant just to see them together again.

• Laura says:

I agree. While I’m a Sam/Andy fan, I do think that she should have had more time to explore her relationship with Nick. Hopefully the next girl he settles down with will be awesome. Maybe a new rookie next season?

Also, thank you Aus and Georgia for the Rookie Blue love! It’s my favourite show atm!! Can’t wait for next summer :)

• Kathryn says:

Gah! I disagree COMPLETELY with all of you. The frustrating thing is that they went there with a Nick/Andy romance in the first place. Yuk! They ruined a mildly enjoyable friend dynamic just to set up a relationship that was made Andy look bad. I wish they had her learning the lessons she needed to learn to be a good serious girlfriend with someone else. A hose monkey or anyone that created less mess.

• Danielle says:

I agree! Nick and Andy are good as friends. That’s it. They should have brought in a new guy or let her be single for once. The whole relationship was unwatchable. Team Swarek!! :)

• Julia says:

Actually, the whole Nick and Andy thing was a complete joke. Sam/Andy have always had a huge fanbase. This couple has gone through so many obstacles for 3 seasons. Then suddenly, they force Nick/Andy on the viewers out of nowhere with no real build up. Loyal fans who have watched since the pilot episode really hated the Nick/Andy thing. I’m glad that it’s over, hopefully!

Sam/Andy deserve some happiness. Fans have waited long enough and have seen way too many love triangles/quads already. Let’s come up with more original material than Andy hooking up with more guys on the police force. Let’s have obstacles that don’t involve triangles!

I truly hope the writers come up with better material for next season. This season was really painful to watch for us Sam/Andy fans. And we were all disappointed. It was nice to see Andy tell Sam that she loves him, though.

• Francine says:

I get that you’re a Sam/Andy fan and that’s fine. But I don’t think it has anything to do with being a loyal fan. It’s just a matter of preference. I preferred Andy with Nick and I’ve watched since the pilot episode. I find her relationship with Sam to be more toxic than romantic and Nick seemed to be much more healthy for her. It’s just a difference of opinion. We’re all loyal fans here :)

• I completely agree with you Francine. The loyal fan argument is just one that completely boggles my mind :) I’ve watched since the Pilot too and I never liked Sam and Andy; I know that there are many fans that feel that way based on the comments from boards, YouTube, other social sites, etc. I watched every episode of Rookie Blue since the beginning, but I have to say it definitely wasn’t one of my favorite show-that is until this season. The writing improved and the relationship between Nick and Andy got my attention like no other relationship on TV ever has before.

I’m not going to deny to that Sam and Andy had/have a huge fanbase, but that was before they had any competition. I’ve seen a lot of McSwarek fans switch ships to McCollins, there’s been a lot of people who didn’t like Sam and Andy to begin with and fell in love with McCollins, and there’s been people who didn’t have feelings either way and like Andy and Nick now. Either way the fanbase is pretty evenly split now (about 50/50) and so are the writers.

But this last season really demonstrated that people have a wide variety of opinions. Some people think Andy belongs with Sam, others think she belongs with Nick. Regardless, my point is it’s a matter of opinion (formed by life experiences and personality) rather than whether you’ve seen the show from the beginning or you’re a loyal fan. There’s tons of fans that have seen the show from the beginning or are loyal fans and prefer Andy with Nick, rather than with Sam. I’m SO sick of seeing the argument that you’re not a loyal fan of Rookie Blue or you haven’t seen the show from the beginning if you don’t like Andy with Sam.

• Danielle says:

There have always been fans who were not on the McSwarek ship, I’m sure the hard core Luke and Andy fans never truly accepted Sam. It’s hard to appeal to everyone. Sam and Andy’s relationship has been complicated from the beginning, but to say its toxic is really far out there! Their actions have always been made out of their own free will. One never forced the other to do anything. And IMO, Nick is and has not been competition. In order for him to have a shot at getting a fraction of the fan base to ship him they had to sabotage Sam and McSwarek. The McSwarek fans that jumped ship never would have done so if the writers hadn’t spent a year and a half tearing the ship apart. If Nick had been able to create a fan base on his own then I’d agree that he was competition, but he didn’t/couldn’t. He needed a lot of manipulation from the writers room. And that’s what annoys me most. I’m too old to sit through this b/s. Just write realistically. Sam and Andy have chemistry like I’ve never seen, so why not go with it?! And if the spark wears out, then move on. But no, the writers play these stupid, childish games and waste a season on a boring, lifeless relationship with Nick and Andy. A totally contrived plot.

• Gina says:

Exactly. Nick/Andy was the biggest joke this season. Maybe ever on this show. That crap better be over. It was nearly impossible to watch them.

• Danielle says:

HERE! HERE!!! Well said!

3. TobyG. says:

Can’t wait for the return of Hart of Dixie!

4. Emma says:

Not surprised that Lisa E. had good things to say about Stana Katic. Stana seems to be gracious and very good natured. I’m glad they had a good time working together. Us Castle fans will most likely benefit from their performance! :)

• Emma says:

Just like Lisa said, Stana was psyched about letting Lisa bring her all into portraying her character. When your having a good time, in a good atmosphere, you can bring your “A” game. In turn that means we benefit..it will be well acted. :)

• Just one thing says:

I think Lisa E. was alluding to the fact that some actors get rather territorial about their shows, and perhaps aren’t as willing to give and take for fear of their character losing his/her dominance. Among other complexities, I’m sure.
        I’ve gotten the impression that Stana K. is just willing to play, and likes to bounce ideas off of people and collaborate. To Emma’s point, it likely means their character interactions will be pretty solid, conflict and all.

• DarkDefender says:

Taking a look at the blooper reel for season 5, and I’d say they all get along and have a fun time n that set.

• Clamke says:

Yah, when all the main cast members actually care to show up, I’m sure they have a blast.

• scooby says:

Look on the bright side, you don’t know any of them personally nor do you know Nathan’s situation, Clamke, so it’ll be really easy for you to get over it and stop being passive aggressive. Anyway, really excited for the Lisa arc. I had issues with Huddy, esp. toward the end, but she’s always been very talented. Can’t wait for Monday.

• fogel says:

Well I guess this makes it official. This is now the Beckett and supporting female characters show. I suppose we’ll have to keep Castle around just for someone to poke fun at. We all know of course that he is a really horrible human being as well as one dumb asx character.

ABC is and still remains “all about chicks”.

Just keep poking sticks at the animals in the zoo and see who’s had gets bit.

Just a thought.

5. Chris says:

Thanks, Michael, I’ll look at that groom any day of the week. #Bones wedding

6. Francine says:

Thanks for the Justified scoop! I can’t get enough of that show and wish they’d get some more Emmy love.

7. Mareesa says:

Dude- super pumped about the Justified scoop. Sounds great. More Dewey Crowe and Dickie Bennett is needed in my opinion. Now, I just hope Natalie Zea is back in a more “regular” role as Winona. Love her and Raylan’s interactions!

8. katie says:

Dude. Justified scoop! Lovely surprise.

9. mac says:

Please make us never EVER sit trough another minute featuring Warlow again.

Russell I’d be okay with but Warlow was the dissapointment of the century let’s forget he was ever a thing

10. wordsmith says:

re: Janina Gavankar and TVD – Well played, Ausiello. That can obviously be read two different ways, and I’ve got a hunch that both will be accurate. Two scoops for the price of one!

11. Ram510 says:

Is there any chance of Nikita getting additional episodes if it performs well in ratings when it returns?

• Alex says:

It’s been set up to end with these six episodes. Also, since its ratings have sucked big-time for ages now, the possibility of the show suddenly doing well is incredibly unlikely. In short: no, no more episodes.

12. steve says:

Hate the idea of what going to do for Justified season 5. It’ll inevitably will get compared to season 2 & its hard to imagine itll be able to top it or even match it

• what! says:

The Justified crew have been top notch. I’m sure they’re aware of the comparisons to S2 and how fans may react. I trust the writers, can’t wait.

13. what! says:

Justified! So, we are getting introduced to Dewey Crowe’s family!? Oh my! S5 Is going to be great.

14. Aeol says:

I really liked Sleepy Hollow. I couldn’t help but think it was such a waste to “waste” John Cho in a pilot/premier, and he would have to be back as some sort of evil undead thing! Looking forward to seeing Cho get down and dirty!

15. Erika says:

I´m sure Lisa Edelstein and Stana Katic are going to be a pleasure to watch

16. Fletcher says:

Why did Ausiello make no connection on Justified between Dewey Crowe and this new Crowe family on Justified?

17. Patricia says:

Seriously….ANOTHER girl coming onto Dallas that John Ross will sleep with!?? The show has a fantastic pairing of him and Pamela Rebecca. Of course there will be cheating, but that seems to be the only point of this new girl and he slept with Emma in the season 2 finale. A shame the show is going to ruin the only young couple that has clicked with the new audience before they reached their full potential.

They’re probably going to lose viewers if they go that route.

18. Casey says:

Hart of Dixie dangled the prospect of a Zoe/George relationship in front of us for two seasons and failed to deliver. Now they want us to invest in another relationship for Zoe when Zade seems to be the end game – why would we do that? I guess it’s fine if you are one of the Zade fans (all of whom seem to support such obvious cliches as Smart,educated, cultured woman falls for redneck loser with no culture, no maturity and no ability to keep his fly zipped and this despite the fact that those relationships would never work in real life) but if you don’t like Zade and I don’t then why bother to watch the show? I used to love Hart of Dixie but now I find it pointless and hope it gets cancelled soon!

• TV Gord says:

Some of us watch the show in its entirety, not just for one couple, whether they get together or find others. I watch the show for all of the characters and the storylines.

And what’s with wanting the show cancelled just because YOU don’t like it. If you don’t like it, there are plenty of other shows to watch. You don’t have to root for its cancellation. That makes you sound like a petulant eight-year-old.

19. Jennifer says:

Justified!! To words: Robert Knepper!!

• Anne says:

You have to be kidding. He was the very worst part of Prison Break. Please don’t ruin Justified with that casting.

• jenferner8 says:

HE was one of the reasons I tuned in to Prison Break each week for four seasons. And would be another great reason for me to continue watching Justified. It’s bad enough I have to shift though endless “reality” show crap just to find a decent show to watch but I am tired of crappy casting on various shows (i.e.-Natalie Zea, not everyone is a fan). Also, based on tvline’s description of what they were looking for, tvline asked, Robert was actually the first (and only) actor that came to mind. If you can do better…

20. Terri says:

Castle show – awesome!! So happy to watch Stana Katic! Smile on my face – as just saw sneak preview of S6 ! Well portrayed, well performef, that “yes” “no” answers, WOW !!

21. poppy says:

So happy about the Rookie Blue finale!! Finally, Sam and Andy are back on trach. We have been waiting a long time for them to get their fair chance to be together. Yay!

• Ana says:

Yes! I was so relieved and happy. Finally an episode that didn’t break my heart. Sam is her story! What a beautiful and heartfelt dialogue. And Missy Peregrym and Ben Bass did such an incredible job. I felt all of their emotions very intensely.
      Very glad we got to see their amazing chemistry again. I had really missed that this season. Hope it’s back for good. I can’t watch them be apart anymore.

22. Rich Abey says:

Thanks for the Castle scoops Michael! Good to hear that Lisa & Stana hit it off, though we already guessed as much from the spoiler pics released so far :) Plus it would go a long way towards making their on-screen character interactions even better. I personally don’t mind how long Kate spends in DC as long as Andrew Marlowe & the writers do justice to her career & to her relationship with Rick.

23. pam says:

What do you watch on Wednesday night? Reality tv sux!!!!!!!

24. Nancy says:

I don’t really care what character he plays, I’d just LOVE to see GERALD MCRANEY as a regular on JUSTIFIED! Hopefully a major role and a real mean guy! :) Like on the third season of