Under the Dome Season 1 Finale Recap: Pink Stars Trek Into Darkness

Under the Dome Finale RecapWarning: The following recap contains spoilers from the Season 1 finale of CBS’ Under the Dome.

Each time I went to get this recap out of me, I started shaking my head, because that closing image failed to whelm. Frankly, I found the idea of the black dome to be far “scarier” (all things being relative with this chills-free Stephen King adaptation), because at least that would have left us with obvious questions.

PHOTOS | Fall TV Spoiler Spectacular: Exclusive Scoop on 45 Returning Faves

I’m also agog at how “plotty” so many of the characters came to be, their behaviors dictated simply by what that week’s episode needed from them. How are we to assign any weight to Junior allying with his father toward the end when things between these two have been a season-long yo-yo? That said, if I were a betting man, I’d have placed all my money on Junior siding with his dad, so why is that a “moment”?

And then there is Linda, who at the very start of the season had the trappings of a root-for character, tragically separated from her love and the witness to her mentor’s grisly death. Yet in the final, pivotal weeks, she was little more than Big Jim’s lackey. And not a smart one, at that.

Also, think about Barbie’s past couple of weeks. How many times was he in and out of lock-up? In the finale alone, he was set free strictly to be dangled as a false “monarch” in one scene, and then promptly recaptured. He didn’t even have time to get out of his handcuffs.

Curtains

RELATED | Fall TV: Your Handy Calendar of 100+ Season and Series Premiere Dates

So, recap….

The kids introduce Linda to Dome Jr., and she insists on seizing the egg as “police property” — as all supernatural entities, you know, are. Before she can, the monarch butterfly emerges from its cocoon and repeatedly clanks against the dome, leaving dark splotches — which are mirrored above Chester’s Mill on Daddy Dome. Linda goes to touch Dome Jr., despite every smarter person’s advice, and gets zapped across the room for her effort.

Knowing that Big Jim is closing in, the kids abscond with Dome Jr., transmitting a clue about the destination to Angie, who is busy helping injured Julia spring Barbie from the clink. (“Something wanted me back on my feet,” she tells him, before he manages to subdue a jailer or two with his hands cuffed behind his back.) Everyone meets up to lay hands on Dome Jr., causing it to disintegrate and leave behind only the soil inside, the black egg and a listless monarch. The butterfly rises to life, flits around the room and seemingly flags Barbie as the new monarch. But when the egg starts triggering a quake, it is Julia‘s touch that soothes it. Ergo ipso facto she is the monarch.

Elsewhere, Big Jim finds the townsfolk gathering at church, having decided that the blacked-out dome is a sign of judgement day, waving their bibles and quoting “Revelations” like they are Sleepy Hollow characters. Big Jim calms the crowd with a few words about “faith,” and then sets out to build a gallows in the square — and it gets erected pretty quickly for a bunch of people working in the dark and presumably building one for the first time. (Forgetting for a moment all of the special measurements required for a hanging, as The Killing Season 3 taught us.)

Back at the egg, Junior pulls a gun on Julia, wanting to turn the object over to his dad, but she lobs it to one of the kids, while Barbie grapples, handcuffed, with Junior. Big Jim meanwhile shows Linda a painting his wife made before she died, of a black egg with pink stars — and says that she used to utter, mantra-like, “The pink stars are falling in lines.” But he doesn’t really do anything with that epiphany. It just fills time.

Having escaped Junior and run into the woods, Julia invites CurtainsNorrie to ask the egg what they should do — and the egg answers in the form of the lass’ dead mother. Except it is not Alice. “Forgive us, we’re still learning to speak with you, using a familiar appearance to bridge the divide,” the entity says. Confirming that she represents those who furnished the Dome, she explains, “The dome wasn’t sent to punish you. It was sent to protect you.” (From what? someone smartly asks. You’ll see, says Not Norrie’s Mom.) But to erase the blackness, “You must earn the light, by protecting the egg,” she/it says.

Julia’s reign as monarch is tested when Big Jim transmits an ultimatum: Gimme the egg or Barbie pays. After Julia decides the only course of action is to do nothing, Big Jim leads Barbie to the shiny new gallows. But just as Junior is rarin’ to send Barbie for a plunge, Julia (who has rushed out to a boat) lobs the egg into the lake, and almost immediately rays of pink stars shoot straight up into the sky toward the blackened dome. As Big Jim tries to spin this light show as a sign of “good favor” validating the imminent execution, Chester’s Mill is blinded with light, as the Dome, seen from outside, seemingly goes an opaque white.

So… yeah. That’s your set-up for Season 2!

1. alistaircrane says:

For a show that was designed as a one-season miniseries, the finale sucked. Nothing was resolved! Had the show not been given a second-season renewal, I would be extremely disappointed right now (This episode was written and shot prior to the renewal).

• Wrstlgirl says:

It’s entirely possible that once they got renewal they re-grouped and shot some scenes differently. Leaving us with this cliffhanger. Happens all the time.

• Len says:

No matter how bad the show ending was, it’s still a thousand times better than the book ending.

• rockysfan says:

This show is nothing like the book. Totally loved the book, got my heart pounding. None of the themes in the book are in this show. This is not a SK series, it’s a summer show, period.

• Kenny says:

The thing that annoys me about this show is the basic stupidity of some characters. Case in point “sheriff” Linda holy cow how stupid can they make her look? right now she is bordering on moronic it would probably benefit the show if she stuck her gun in her mouth, exhaled slowly and pulled. Junior is pretty much a retard, enuff said there. I like this show but God please give us a break people are not that stupid even in a crisis situation. Basically the season ender sucked.

• RobMF says:

Actually they were filming the finale after the renewal. However they did intend to do a cliffhangery ending either way. I assume that the final shot there would of been the dome coming down rather than going white.

• Rocky says:

I was not aware there was going to be a second season. I thought tonight was going to be the end of the mini series. The ending dumb founded me and I thought there was something wrong with my dish service as I recorded this supposed last episode and of course I called and yelled at them.
      Now after reading on the internet it turns out there will be a second season for next year – well my vote is to not watch it at all.

• LOL says:

You actually called and yelled at your dish service because of the plot of a TV show? Just when you think you’ve read everything. Holy cow.

• Bob says:

No, no, no. Not mini-series. “Event” programming. Look for a LOT of it on Fox next year. That’s the problem with Hollywood and this type of programming. Just a little bit of success and everyone gets greedy. “OMG! People like it! We need to do more shows. Quality? Meh.” Too many show plots now revolve around a single concept which seem impossible to stretch into two, three or more season. For example, “Hostages”. How long can they stretch out the “Doctor has to kill the President” storyline? What do they do with Toni Collette? Is there plan to have a completely new cast and storyline each season. Yeah, that’s real smart.

• Bob says:

*Is their* Sorry.

• johnhelvete says:

Actually having a completely different cast and hostage storyline each season would be a great idea for Hostages. The problem is that the writers will most likely want to keep Toni Collette and her family in season 2.

I would be a huge supporter of the networks doing UTD and Hostages as one season only shows with a beginning and an end, with no plans for a second season. It would be nice if UTD was actually good, but that is another discussion.

• brandi says:

I would be too!. I loved what they did with Harpers Island a few years ago. 13 episodes, beginning, middle, and end with a resolution. Done. There should be more shows like this for summer.

• RB Perkins says:

I totally agree. I also thought it was a miniseries and don’t intend to watch it stretched any furtive.

• Pamela says:

Me too. I thought the station I was watching had cut it off!

• Thank you Rocky!!! I kept flippin replaying it because I thought the DVR stopped recording it! I also never heard there was to be a another season. It will have to be a awfully boring summer for me to waste my time of this again!! besides what kind of a moron doesn’t focus on getting out of handcuffs as soon as you escape?????

• Matthew says:

I’m disappointed right now because it was given a second season. The plot moved slow, really really slow. Everything could have been accomplished in about 10 episodes, and that includes the content from next season. The characters don’t develop, the script is slow and simplistic, every plot point gets called audibly for those that have trouble keeping up with a snail’s pace. This show is going to be yet another example of what happens when you fuel a series on absolutely nothing but suspense. Let’s not forget that the only reason this thing is getting a decent following is that Game of Thrones, Doctor Who, Vikings, and The Walking Dead are out of season right now. Eventually the gimmick wears thin and supposing other networks have caught on to this programming lapse, there will be suitable alternatives next year.

• I agree. I will not be watching another episode. I don’t want to spend 10 years watching a highly unlikely scenario drag on and on forever. No thanks.

• DeeKayTee says:

I am fairly certain that when they shot this they knew there would be a season 2.

• Paul says:

They said that the finale would have closure, but when it was renewed then they definitely redid some scenes.

• GregK says:

I gave up on this show weeks ago when I found out there was going to be a second season and was not even enjoying the first season. Nice to see Breaking Bad actors getting new series but Dean Norris was jarring to watch, not a good transition from his role on BB. Similar to seeing Giancarlo Esposito, the iconic Gus Fring on BB, on first Once Upon a Time and then Revolution. On the other hand I really love Michael Emerson from Lost, now on Person of Interest, a great transition for a superb actor.

• if this episode was shot prior to them deciding on a Season 2, this is a disgrace. They would have ended the show with this? There had to be different show for the finale. If they were going to have a Cliffhanger as the end(if there was no Season 2) I would never watch anything like this ever again! They would end the miniseries with Barbie about to be hung, with Big Jim Psychopath running the town and Sheriff Linda(with the IQ of a loaf of bread) just standing there doing nothing? With a town full of people who are dumber than sheep doing nothing? With the exception of 7-8 people, this town doesn’t deserve to be saved.

• Suzanne Laurin says:

I am still upset about the final. I hope for next season. I don’t understand that kind of final if there is no other story.
      Suzanne.

2. alistaircrane says:

Disappointed that Big Jim wasn’t exposed and killed off. He is currently the most vile character on television and I want him GONE.

3. amanners says:

At least it didn’t end with the characters staring down a hatch. I’m happy we got some resolution, despite a lot of the weak plotting (the Barbie in and out of jail thing especially seemed way too convenient for the writers)

4. jonathon says:

comparing it to one of the greatest shows ever and saying at least it didn’t end like that really doesn’t make sense lol

• alistaircrane says:

I hope you’re not referring to the previous poster because Lost sucked. They couldn’t stick the landing, and now it has tainted the entire series.

• D says:

Lost was great but it was too much for some people, not really a show for simple people. The ending of that show is one of the greatest i’ve ever seen, very emotional.

• Zoe says:

I’m sorry, were you seriously implying that only stupid people disliked the Lost finale? How arrogant could you possibly be?!

• Ben says:

People who interpret the ending as “they were dead all along” are essentially missing pretty much the whole series, so yes.

• D says:

I’m not saying stupid people just simple people that like silly things like reality TV and singing competition show’s most jersey shore watchers, etc… They can’t understand Things like Depth, nuance, mystery,suggestive meaning, etc… Some people like show’s that make you think and ponder the story while other like shows that you don’t need to think to enjoy.

• Under the Dome may end the same way as Lost.

• Maryann says:

There are other reasons to dislike the Lost final season. The only problem I had with the finale was that every clue in the last season indicated a sci fi ending for the show, perhaps with time travel or a reset of some sort, yet the ending turned out to be metaphysical, and the flash-sideways turned out to be all in their heads (or in purgatory). I liked the last episode, but I felt very cheated that the flash sideways happy events were not in the real world. Perhaps if it had been clear that was what was happening all along, the end of the series would have been lovely rather than leaving a sour taste in my mouth, and rendering the entire series unwatchable.

• Ann says:

The finale of Lost ruined the entire series. What bugs me is that the writers knew exactly when the show would end, so they could have plotted out storylines and written a good ending to conclude the series. Instead, they seemed to be writing the series as they went along and made up an ending that made no sense.

• alistaircrane says:

I’m a highly intelligent person and I hated the Lost finale, so your argument doesn’t hold weight.

• Lauren says:

Season six was incredibly weak and was a pretty terrible send-off, but that doesn’t make the other five seasons any less amazing. It was a great show, just because it ended badly that doesn’t mean it loses any of its previous value, in my opinion.

• Agree with Lauren. I tremendously enjoyed all six seasons of the show and Jack realizing he was dead made me tear up. But that doesn’t mean it wasn’t disappointing. What I liked about Lost the least was the weird, faux sci-fi mythology that often wandered into meaningless pretentiousness. The show, at its strength, were amazingly acted, complex characters that experienced a journey with each other.
          As for Beneath The Bowl, until this article was posted, I didn’t know it was the season finale. That’s it? When I watch this show, I feel like it has all the dumb, weird stuff from Lost and none of the great characters.

• Ben says:

You realize that Jack discovering he’s been dead applies only to the “flash sideways” that occurred in the 6th season, right? All the flashbacks and flashforwards were real, and actually happened. The island exists; everything that happened on the island is real (as Christian Shepard said pretty much verbatim in the final minutes of the series finale). They were NOT dead the whole time.

• Don’t underestimate me, Ben. I’m well aware that it all happened and none of it was a dream or purgatory. But that doesn’t mean the truth about the flash sideways gels at all with what we were led to believe it was. The alternate versions of the characters were going through personal growth that the normal versions of the characters had already gone through and whatnot. It was kind of boring. What’s up with the characters who get killed in the flash sideways? What’s up with Desmond using violence to create epiphanies to recreate memories? Why not sit them down and say, “Hey, remember when you were on an island and you did all this stuff?” Turns out it was NOT actually a flash sideways, but an in-con-se-quen-tial waiting room where they relearn their past lessons until Jack and his friends and frenemies can hug and grin like idiots before moving on. No. Season 6 would have been hugely more satisfying without any of that flash sideways stuff. It was just an excuse to toy with the audience and justify the insane nonsensical time travel of season 5. Things only happened to happen without rhyme or reason. All of it was just because Jacob sucked at his job and couldn’t find a replacement faster than a few hundred years.
            You see what you made me do? Lost should be remembered for its strengths, even if its weaknesses are harder to forget. You don’t have to be a complete idiot to be disappointed in something, especially Lost. Can we please go back to talking about Behind The Hemisphere again?

• John says:

Guess what? Opinions are subjective, so everybody’s right!

• dysturbed says:

Which is exactly what I loved about the fact that a lot of things weren’t answered at the end of Lost which is part of why some people hated the ending. Rather than be told concrete answers about certain things that we had to accept, we were able to use given information or our own theories and not be wrong. As for the things that were answered, nobody is wrong for not liking it, unless they don’t’ like it based on the false assumption that they were dead the entire series

• Gabriel Anthony says:

The final season of lost it was supposed to be a totally sci-fi season if we look at the plot of season 5, but i was very surprised that they decided to make a more espiritual season. I mean, we lived with those characters for 6 years, we learn their stories, watch them suffer, love… And that core of the season being about those people made me very happy and satisfied.
            btw, Jack and his climb to become the protector of the island growing from a man of science to be a man of faith was one of the most beautifiul stories ever.

• Paul says:

I don’t think anyone was comparing it to Three’s Company.

5. Jerry says:

This would have been much better as the one off miniseries it was supposed to be. Instead we get the usual writers spinning their wheels. This show went downhill fast and I don’t believe I will be tuning in next summer. I said to my wife while watching, why is everyone being so stupid? Is that the only way the plot can advance?

• Jake says:

I stopped tuning in about 4 episodes in, and given all of the negative feedback I’m reading and how underwelming the finale seemed I’m kinda glad I stopped watching. Although the story did seem intriguing. Maybe its time I read the book.

6. alistaircrane says:

I am glad that they seem to be going with aliens being responsible for the dome, as it’s the only explanation that makes sense.

• Bob says:

Why do you say aliens? Trouble communicating could be adjusting to time travel. Future humans coming back to save part of humanity. Although you would think there would be multiple domes across the world.

7. Alichat says:

They really need to revamp this show for season 2, otherwise I don’t see a point in staying around. Everyone is either dead or completely stupid. It’s only been two weeks, over a dozen people are dead, and they are building a gallows to hang a man….no trial….they haven’t even bothered to ask him to explain himself. Nevermind how they’re going to feed themselves…..let’s spend the next few hours whipping up a gallows with this pristine wood we happen to have just lying around. I just don’t get it. How is Stephen King ok with this mess? Why is Linda such a stupid character? Why didn’t Julia just march into the church and just tell everyone that Barbie didn’t shoot her, and Big Jim is the killer? They seem to be ok with believing anything anyone tells them! I just….it’s….just….I wanted to like this show…I wanted it to do well….with the cast and being filmed locally….but….my god…it…just….I……

• Eliza says:

That part really bothered me (Barbie about to be hanged). Big Jim reminded everyone that the town was still in The United States of America when there was talk about the legality of searching people’s homes…. but then there’s no Due Process for Barble?! Barbie was asked how he plead and then the next thing he is being hanged? Um, hello, remember that thing called the US Constitution? Sorry but it bothered me….

• Elyse says:

that part was bugging me too! I find it hard to believe no one was willing to step up and try to help Barbie!!

• Overthinking says:

…….especially Linda who was all about upholding the law but can’t seem to get straight where Jim is concerned. UGH!

• DeeKayTee says:

She was the dimmest bulb on the whole show. Its a shame because I actually liked her for the first 3/4 of the season, now I like her less than even Big Jim!

• Paul says:

Yeah, they totally screwed up her character by not having her step up to save Barbie at the end.

• Amanda says:

Yes! Not one person said, hey, maybe we shouldn’t just hang someone on ONE guy’s say-so. And I don’t get why none of the kids rolled up and said anything. It was like, either Julia turns over the egg, or Barbie has to die – no one thought that maybe if the 3 kids spoke up, they might at least delay the execution that is happening in the street, a whole 2 weeks after the dome came down?!

• EMO says:

I was wondering if anyone else found it amazing that they could build the gallows as quickly as they could and also that those building it wouldn’t find it disturbing. But I guess that’s just the way they’ve shown the bulk of the townsfolk, blindly following Big Jim or turning into an angry mob when the plot needed them to. The writing on this show is annoying since if the “others” are trying to protect Chesters Mill, it’s kind of hard to see why any of them are worth saving!

• cookie kirk says:

I so agree with ur post. The Barbie not guilty plea and then the town people even letting Big Jim to move forward to hang Barbie, didn’t make no kind of sense. And where r the other council members in the town. Big Jim wasn’t a council of one. And Junior flipping sides between commercial breaks, he’s with the kids and then he sides w/his dad. And stupid,stupid Linda,can she be any dumber!! When big Jim collected all the guns,that should have been a big CLUE, the Jim was up to something. When she was talking to him about his family being special when they were looking at the dead wife’s painting I almost lost my dinner. Can she be any more stupid. Any way the finale could have been cool when the alien revealed itself to the kids and Julia,it should have shown itself in is real form than assumed the human form. And where r the aliens staying,why have they allowed some many innocent people to be murdered?? The writers truly failed the viewers, I give Dome a “d” . Will somebody plz take the gun away from junior plz.

• Colav10 says:

In the very first episode it was said that most of the police, all of the firemen, and almost all the council members were at a parade in a neighboring town.

• KennyJ says:

Haha, your post made my day. I had the same bewildered response to this show almost from the beginning. Thanks for the laugh!

• MinnGal says:

This ending was a huge disappointment, and I agree that it was probably because there’s going to be a season two. I felt like I was betrayed – told that this would be “complete” at the end, and it certainly wasn’t. I kept waiting to see if I was missing a preview to next week’s show, or what. The characters are ok (but they are not even close to the LOST characters who were much more interesting}. As long as S King and S Spielberg are ok with diverging from the book, fine – but don’t diverge from your promise to give me a satisfying summer show. I’m irked. Too many questions, and I don’t want to get sucked into another season.

8. mwajr says:

The series should have been billed as a 2 season series right from the beginning. And then to top it off, you’re going to make viewers wait until summer ’14 for the rest of the story? I will not be watching, nor will my wife.This is not a “Hobbit” quality tale that can be strung out. It’s just not that good a screen play. The writers over manipulate the characters for no apparent reason–other than to fit the time frame. Very disappointing.

9. UnderTheDumb says:

Horrible finale. I gave it a D.
    Under the Dumb is more like it.

Shame it wasn’t just a 1-season thing — cause this is painful to watch now.
    Not sure I will return for season 2.

How about a nice 2hr wrap-up movie in a month instead? ha. please?

• CJ says:

“Under the Dumb” – I like it! I posted elsewhere that I felt like I was losing brain cells with each episode, but it was like watching a slow-motion wreck and I couldn’t stop. Hopefully someone will stage an intervention if I’m foolish enough to go back next summer for more Dumb.

• LV Sunny says:

What started out as an OK rewrite of the book has turned into crap. I can’t imagine coming back for Season 2. I totally agree that this was and should have remained a mini-series. Too bad, so sad. We’re simply not THAT dumbed-down.

• King says:

Under the dumb? Because that phrase makes a lot of sense. :sarcasm: Not all people watching the show have read the book so stop being such losers and go away. The show’s going to be fine without you.

• Kenny says:

Truly?? I read the book and the series Sucks at best. The only thing the 2 share is the dome itself. Also calling people names from your keyboard is kinda looserish in itself. so piss off.

10. This is how you ruin a great book.

11. Zoe says:

What a disappointment. This show’s starting to lose me, even as a guilty pleasure. It reminds me of Heroes- it’s a great premise, and it has its moments, but it gets lost in the stupidity of its own characters, and desperately grabs at plot twists just for shock value and *drama*, with unnecessary subplots abound.

And I bet you anything we’ll never truly find out exactly what this Dome is or where it came from- Stephen King’s biggest flaw is how his stories are more focused on the effects of the thing than the why or the how. That’s fine for a horror story, but this is billed as science fiction. Sci-fi is supposed to have a foothold on reality- which this show definitely doesn’t have.

12. King says:

It’s obvious you don’t like the show but continued to do recaps anyway. Oh yeah, for page views! Classy!

• I hate page view whoring as much as the next guy, but you don’t have to be a cheerleader to write reviews or blogs about a show. You just have to want to express your opinion.

• Elyse says:

hoping all of the people who hate watch under the dome don’t stick around for season 2! if so I won’t be checking out the weekly recaps.

• You’re just actively forcing yourself into a box if you want to live your life in a way that avoids all opinions contrary to your own. That is so ignorant. This is how actual people feel about it. They came for the premise, Stephen King, Dean Norris, they stayed hoping for greatness and were disappointed. What is it that you’re enjoying? If you think it’s so great, share why. Talk about it, that’s what this space is for. Don’t just dismiss us as bitter angry people with a chip on their shoulder. There are things that deserve praise and they’re usually obvious. What are they? If you can’t put your finger on what it is exactly, then you’re kind of blindly devoted. I don’t know why anyone would want to be that way. But if I like or don’t like something, I know what my reasons are.
        For this show, I’m just not invested in any of the characters. I wouldn’t care if any one of them died. They act stupid and often do things that don’t make sense. Some are more sympathetic than others, like Dodie, Barbie, Julia, the kids not named Junior, but none of them have depth to them and are all typical archetypes. And the direction often leaves a lot to be desired. A particular low point was the insane priest setting the house on fire. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0lhV8e44WI It is effing hilarious. It is not difficult to make something look like an accident, but the way they shot that made it obvious the actor kicked the flaming trashcan into the curtains on purpose. A one-legged, sleep-hopping blind person isn’t that clumsy.
        That’s just a few of the big things, but there’s a lot to not like. I think I’m going to watch next season and I’m hoping there will be a marked improvement, but I do not have high hopes.

13. M3rc Nate says:

Finale was the same as the entire series, disappointing, and poorly written. I get it was re-shot to be open ended for a season two, but way to give almost no answers to the questions the show poses and that tension at the end? Will they hang Barbie? What will happen? Ya i felt no tension. And hes my favorite character! I’m sorry but when this airs one day after the best episode of TV since it was invented (Breaking Bad)…it just shows the dichotomy of Network and Cable televisions…and how somehow, shows like this (UTD) and Revolution are getting such huge viewer numbers yet are so poorly written and have such flat, two dimensional, nonsensical characters…its beyond me.

I am officially done with this show. Id have more fun if i turned off my TV and just stared at the black screen than watch this show.

• domedone says:

That’s an hour I’ll never get back . . . . .ending sucked, but it did “suck” me in from the beginning. I think I’ll quit watching TV and just rent movies . . . . . .

14. Mary Cefalu says:

I’d much rather read Matt’s recap than watch the show. His recap is more interesting and takes less time.

15. Malika Tucker says:

The show was great people you all dont understand that they had to do it this way because of the next season i love this show cant wait until next season

16. JAMANDAFAN says:

The problem with this show is I hate all the characters–everyone is so dumb on this show. As it is, I’m mostly fast forwarding through episodes. I hoped the finale would blow me away–instead it was mostly filler so I think I’ll skip season 2.

17. JAMANDAFAN says:

Siberia’s finale was much more interesting–is TVLine going to talk about that?!! And tell me whether Siberia has any chance at a second season!!

• MinnGal says:

Don’t even get me started on how disappointed I was in the “ending” of Siberia. I don’t think there’s another season for that. And I am totally confused. They could have ended it and come up with a whole new premise for a season 2.
      Back to The Dome – I was disappointed we lost so many great characters because Big Jim shot everyone. Dodie? Come on, she was spectacular! And the mother of the evil Maxine? Mare Winningham deserved more than one episode. Now that Linda is an idiot following Big Jim around, I am truly disappointed. I wanted some closure. I don’t know if I can stick with this.
      LOST left me reeling, and I don’t want to go through another five years of hoping for an interesting, tie-up-the-loose-ends conclusion.

18. Jason J says:

This show is boring and plain stupid. Reminds me of ABC’s V(in terms of being slow, uneventful, and having terrible wooden characters and acting). Like… nothing happened in 13 episodes. Lets not look into the cliches and plot holes. I didn’t see the pilot, but from the 2nd episode, I was laughing at it. My wife watched it as did my fam, and week by week, they dropped off. I watched tonight just to see if anything happened… and it was even less eventful. Geez. Kudos to the fans of this show but I’m out.

19. Tim says:

I”m not sure if they reshot scenes or just ended the episode prior to where it was originally supposed to end. If you compare tonights episode without commercials up against the first 12 tonight’s ran about thee minutes shorter than the others. It’s possible they just cut the ending off the episode at the point where junior goes to pull the floor of the gallows out from under Barbie and then tacked on an image of the dome from outside with it digitally turned white instead of clear. Either way, I’m with the people that agree it should have remained a limited series. Not everything that gets good ratings has to go on for eternity.

20. BigTed says:

This was the best line in the series: When Linda is looking for the big back egg, she finds the sentence “The pink stars are falling in line.” And then it turns out that Big Jim’s wife used to repeat the sentence “The pink stars are falling in line” and painted pictures of pink stars falling over a big black egg…

And Linda says, “Maybe it’s just a coincidence.”

I mean, she got stupider and stupider every week, but that’s just a classic.

• cookie kirkland says:

Just when I thought Legally Blonde couldn’t be topped she did. The sheriff’s acting was just down right bad. There is no way she can be proud of her work. I’m sure Rotten Tomatoes won’t overlook her performance.

21. Christopher Marino says:

Under the Boredom… Simply put

22. The kids tricked Linda into touching the mini dome. They wanted her to get zapped. They didn’t advise against it.

23. Christian says:

Yeah, I’m not going to take any of this seriously. This is biased, the reviewer already hates the show, we can tell. Go in a neutral zone, and I’ll read a review, but you need to learn to actually write in a neutral way first. A proper recap/review is about more than just “this happens, and it was stupid”. There are so many shows out there that are utterly terrible – yet get reviews completely different from this, simply because the reviewer likes it. You may not be able to see it, but I am.

So yeah, fans of the show, like myself, will like and enjoy this episode. Haters like you can go watch Honey Boo Boo instead.

This is the last review or recap I’m going to read on TVLine. The same way the haters say that they can’t tolerate the show anymore, I can’t tolerate these biased recaps. Bye now.

• Elyse says:

at the end of the day all that matters is the ratings! those of us who like the show will keep getting seasons and that’s all I care about.

• Christian says:

Thank God for that. No matter how many people hate the show, I love it with all my heart. I’ll keep supporting the show in every way possible! :D

• Anne says:

You do realize that ALL reviews are just opinions right? I mean recaps are here’s what happened while reviews are a person’s thoughts on what happened. Also, why are you so upset people don’t like the same thing as you? I like plenty of things other people don’t and it doesn’t lessen my enjoyment in the least.

24. Donna says:

What? I didn’t get it. Is there season 2 ?

25. Jo says:

Terrible finale. Just terrible.

26. Aaron Z Villarreyna says:

This finally was truly a disappointment. I learned from my with about 4 episodes ago that it was suppose to be a mini series, but assumed they were going for a second season because of the ratings. The show was intriguing from the start and it is the type of sci fi plots I enjoy watching. So when i caught wind of the show I downloaded the episodes I had not seen and watched them all to get with the current one. I loved it and kept watching towards the end. Finally the long awaited finally and it leaves to much out in the air hanging… no pun intended.. Seriously Julia the monarch.. wth…And you cut of the season that way… There should have been more closure and better script writting to tie in the second season…. I hope they dont try and string this on for too many seasons the way they just did with this finally…. I cant wait for the next episode because I need some closure… but I wont be watching if they continue this crap writing that was evident in the finally….

27. Maryann says:

Am I the only person who loved the cliffhanger ending to this season? I agree with a lot of Matt’s criticisms, but that didn’t stop me from cheering for Barbie and the kids, and delighting in the wonder of it all, and cheering for Big Jim to get his come-upperance. Leaving it up in the air what Junior would do, and what the DOME would do, left me with just chills of anticipation. Barbie will not die. We can be pretty certain of that. But will Junior finally turn on his father, or will the Dome itself save him ? In any case, I can’t wait for Season 2

• LOL says:

As cheesy as this show can be much of the time, it’s not boring, and the good parts are good enough to get me to come back. I think this finale was pretty decent considering some of the stuff that came before (Max’s “fight club” was the dumbest thing so far). Thumbs up! Looking forward to next summer. (Good gawd, I hope the writers wise up Linda at some point.)

28. Elyse says:

I didn’t go into watching this show thinking it was going to be a one off. from the articles I read I always knew there was potential for more seasons. I also didn’t read the book so I enjoyed the finale just like I enjoyed the entire season. I can’t wait for season 2!!!

29. angelstorm says:

I was so disappointed with this season finale – I was literally left shaking my head at the end of it ! Seriously I think Linda’s almost worse than Big Jim and you’re right ! I was rooting for her in the beginning ! But she’s literally the worst sheriff I’ve ever seen in my life. And can we just talk for a minute about the fact that this town was just going to lynch Barbie and no one in this whole town said a word about it (Except for Phil feeble “are you serious?” and then mega rapid “for Dodie”) even Linda was going to stand there and actually watch them hang a man that had been helping her for half the season ! I mean seriously – that must have been some powerful kool-aid that Big Jim was feeding them because they just went along with his crazy !

30. itsbighead says:

dude honestly the under the dome writers should learn from the mistakes that they made in season 1 and just move on

31. “The dome wasn’t sent to punish you. It was sent to protect you.”

I said weeks ago that this was a possibility. Maybe something will happen to the outside world and that’s what the dome is for, to protect the town from a disaster.

32. If 99 red balloons can refer to nuclear missiles, why can’t pink stars refer to the same thing? Maybe nuclear war is going to happen.

33. tracy84 says:

Linda is beyond stupid. She knows that Julia helped Barbie escape. If he tried to kill her why would she break him out of jail? If Barbie didn’t shoot Julia it stands to reason Big Jim is lying about that so maybe he’s lying about other things. Plus when Dodie was killed Barbie was w/ Angie breaking Julia out of the hospital across town. How could he shoot her, burn down the studio in broad daylight and get to the hospital on foot to break out Julia? Not possible. Finally I’ve had this theory since the monarch thing was mentioned. I don’t think Julia is the monarch. I think she’s carrying the monarch. Meaning she is pregnant w/ Barbie’s child who is one day destined to save mankind and therefore needs protecting.

• SK says:

Agree with you there about Linda. I’ve been saying that myself. Can’t she figure out that Barbie can’t be in two places at once, killing Dodee, burning the station and breaking Julia out unless the hospital and the station is next to each other? Geez…she is beyond dumb. What makes the mini-dome police property?? Really? Police property? And to just stand there waiting for Barbie to be hanged? C’mon!! I really can’t imagine why Stephen King is okay with this writing.

I do like your idea about the pregnant Julia. Something to think about.

34. tracy84 says:

I don’t think the Monarch flying around Barbie was just to point us in the wrong direction. I think it was because he is linked to the monarch as well. From the moment I heard the monarch would be crowned I thought of a baby crowning during birth. Granted at first I thought it could be Angie that was pregnant but then my theory shifted to Julia. Anyway, that’s my two cents on it. I haven’t read the book so I’m not basing this on anything but my own suspicions.

• SK says:

This is not the same as the book at all. Only the characters and the dome are the same. Even then, the characters have different lives in the book than the show.

35. Overthinking says:

The only good thing/line from the finale…………………..Barbie to Big Jim when Barbie told Jim if he wants to know a secret and after a few exchange of words Big Jim said.” What’s that a criminal?” To which Barbie replied………
    “……….worse a politician”

36. We were promised answers in the finale. We were given none.

37. Bandit77 says:

Under the Dome has a “Noah’s Ark” type scenario going. They aren’t trapped inside the dome, everyone else is trapped outside. The aliens are just scientists preserving a sample of Earth life, and giving them a choice to become lawful for eons of interstellar survivability. Habitable earth like planets are likely hundreds of years away.
    A meteor or Quasar likely has earth in its line of fire.
    But the obvious flaw to this speculation is one burning question:
    Why would aliens pick a town that is this stupid?

38. D. says:

Seriously, what a waste of time. No answer, nothing resolved. The most annoyng part though, it the stupidity of the characters. Seriously a zombie would be smarter than the teenagers, Linda and Barbie put together.

39. cwy1003 says:

One big problem is that Barbie was such a central charater in the book has been downgraded to a sideshow on the show.

40. K. says:

Well I can agree with most of the people above that most of the people under the dome is dumber then rocks, writers please make Linda a little smarter for next season! I’ve went through all this episodes and will be watching season 2 because I do want to know what the heck is going to happen!

41. GrimeTime says:

This show is so bad, it makes me laugh…. hey, if you told me it was a comedy or a parody, …. you might have something.

42. Didi says:

I am hoping the main storyline of season 2 will be the main characters discovering that the aliens are using the dome to siphon off the intelligence of everyone inside.

43. Ann says:

I wish they had just kept this show a miniseries,not drag it out forever. If anyone wants to watch a good tv series based on a Stephen King novel, watch Haven.

44. Bob says:

Someone in casting needs to be fired. The kids they hired can barely act. Most of the good actors have been killed off. If the show goes on for more than season 2, everyone under the dome will be dead anyway.

45. Ricardo says:

I reallt thought this finale was dissapointing. They should cut the whole Big Jim storyline and focus on the kids, julia, barbie & the dome. It was the only thing interesting in this finale and throughout the season. I think Big Jim is the most annoying charachter in a tv show ever (so well done to the actor) but it does not make the show better. Let them focus more on the dome and its mysteries next season!

46. Tammy says:

This was horrible………….. this show went down hill every week. I will not be watching next season!

47. BorderSpice says:

I am done. Nothing happened to make me interested to continue watching. Disappointed doesn’t even relate to how I feel right now. I want my time back.

48. Plum says:

Yeah, I needed more than a lot of cliffhangers. I was impressed by Big Jim’s ability to pull out yet another speech for the town crazies. Dodee was the first big dissapointment; a geek girl who stupidly hates on the Seizure Kids. But Linda is now prime buffoon on Dome, what a huge dolt she is. I felt that the kid’s very smartly set Linda up to touch the dome; they lied about how touching it would “turn it off,” knowing that grabby Linda would try to muscle in. I’m glad Ange is still around, she’s the only character who is consistently doing heroic things without being asked; rescuing Julia, rescuing Barbie, rescuing the Egg, god bless her spunky little soul. I hope she stays a series reg.

49. Tracy says:

I did not enjoy the finale at all. The writing was subpar. Linda, I mean what the heck is going on with her character? I found her to be annoying and even cheered a little when she was thrown into the wall. Barbie escaping from jail only to go back a few scenes later. It felt like filler. It kind of reminds me of “Heroes” with all the hype that just doesn’t deliver.

• Plum says:

Yeah, my expectations are a lot lower, I’m watching for the nuttiness; I can’t believe they showed us Mrs. Big Jim’s godawful art work again. Linda: “Is that a on ostrich?” Big Jim: “Those are pink stars, falling on an a mysterious black egg.” Linda: “…an ostrich egg?” I hope we get to see even more of Mrs. Big Jim’s exquisite fingerpaintings and priceless piñata sculptures.