HBO Orders Damon Lindelof's Post-Rapture Drama The Leftovers to Series

HBO Orders The Leftovers HBO is heating up The Leftovers.

The cabler has given a series order to Lost co-creator Damon Lindelof‘s drama project, based on Tom Perrotta’s 2011 novel of the same name.

RELATED | 2013 Cable TV Renewal Scorecard — Renewed or Cancelled TV Shows?

The Leftovers — with a pilot written by Lindelof and Perrotta, and directed by Peter Berg (Friday Night Lights) — is set after the Rapture and tells the story of those folks who didn’t quite make the cut.

The 10-episode series stars Justin Theroux (Six Feet Under) as police chief Kevin Garvey, a father of two who is trying to maintain some semblance of normalcy in a world that is starting to completely reject that notion. Amy Brenneman (Private Practice) plays his wife Laurie, who leaves her husband and kids behind to join a mysterious cult.

RELATED | HBO Orders Westworld Pilot From J.J. Abrams and Jonathan Nolan

The ensemble also includes Liv Tyler (The Lord of the Rings) as a woman targeted by said cult for recruitment, Emily Meade (aka Fringe‘s Ella) as a high-school mean girl unfazed by the apocalyptic happenings, Desperate Housewives twins Max and Charlie Carver and Chris Zylka (The Secret Circle).

Lindelof will serve as showrunner and exec-produce alongside Perrotta, Berg, Sarah Aubrey, Ron Yerxa and Albert Berger.

1. Teag says:

I know Lindelof is polarizing but I think he’s great! Looking forward to this.

2. Steven says:

What does this mean for the Carver twins on Teen Wolf?

3. Superhero says:

Kind of feel the same way about this as I did with The Corrections; not really sure how well the book translates to a multi-year series.

4. kate says:

The twins likely are fine because they are a third of the way through season 3b and there is nothing that says they couldn’t be victims of whatever or do both since they are only guests on teen wolf.

5. quangtran says:

It seems like the creators of Lost really like teaming up with the creators of Friday Night Lights. Hope this works out as well as Bates Motel, and not something like Under The Dome.

• Julie says:

What do you mean “not something like Under The Dome”? Averaging over 14 mil total viewers and winning the key 18-49 demo isn’t successful? Respect your opinion if you don’t like the show but if you think it’s unsuccessful, you seem to be mistaken, given the numbers. I for one have been loving Under The Dome although last week’s episode and the manhunt for Barbie pissed me off. The sheriff is kind of an idiot and it annoys me how much power the “first councilman” seems to think he has.

• Bob says:

After the “season finale” (a phrase which never should have been said of this series), Under The Dome is going to lose a lot of its audience and season 2 will be a disaster. This was supposed to be wrapped up in ONE “event” series. Now they’re just being greedy.

6. topoopon says:

The problem I have with this is the concept. Rapture? What is that? To anyone not a crazy Christian this concept is awful. It’s more like the Left Behind books. Where’s Kirk Cameron when you need him? I sort of enjoyed the way it was spoofed in “This is the End” but I doubt I could take this premise seriously.

• kates2424 says:

In the book millions of people disappear for no apparent reason and the plot deals with how the people “leftover” deal with not being chosen. Some are Christians who can’t figure out why they weren’t chosen, some are people who lost their entire families, etc. Really, the book was quite interesting. And I’m not a Christian.

• ajintexas says:

I knew it would only take a few comments before the Christian bashing started. Pretty shameful way for an adult to act. Especially those adults that aren’t Christian but preach acceptance of everyone…except Christians.

• Jim says:

Or those Christians who preach love, peace and understanding- unless you don’t believe in everything they do in which case they will judge the heck out of you. There are shameful people everywhere, both for and against religion. It’s not black and white is all I’m saying.

• ajintexas says:

Yeah that’s a blatant falsehood perpetuated by people that have never stepped foot in a church.

• Jim says:

Are you kidding me? I was raised in a strict Christian household and attended a church that was anything but accepting. They exist. When I was old enough to do so, I found a church that was more suited to my way of thinking. Christian fanatics exist- they have been around throughout history and one doesn’t need to look too hard to find them. Pretending only non-churchgoing people see that is just an excuse. I’m not going to argue though since I suspect its a lost cause. Have a good one.

• Sarah says:

What is a blatant falsehood? That there are Christians who judge? ALL people judge someone else at some point in their life so I don’t understand your comment. Some religions are accepting, some are not. Non-Christians sometimes unfairly judge all Christians as “crazies” and some Christians judge all non-Christians as devils who will pay the ultimate price for not believing in God (note I said some). That’s a battle that is never going to go away. It’s a shame but its a fact.

• topoopon says:

I didn’t bash all Christians, but I sure as heck don’t believe in a “rapture”. So this show would not be for me and a bunch of other folks who may have trouble buying into a religious based story.

• Francine says:

Calling them “crazies” probably wasn’t a good way to go about things. I’m not religious-at all- but I still find stories like this interesting. I treat them the same way I treat all scripted shows, as a work of fiction. As long as it isn’t preachy I am all in. But I can understand why some people don’t like anything that includes religion as part of the story.

• What show would be for you then? Did you never enjoy Fringe, Star Trek, The X-Files, Supernatural, Buffy, etc.? I sure as heck don’t believe in Fringe events (how sweet would that be though?), but it doesn’t stop me from watching and enjoying. Your personal bias is showing.

• Bob says:

First, your name fits your personality exactly. Second, if you’re living in America, you’re living in an overwhelmingly Christian nation. Lots of potential audience there. You don’t have to be a foaming-at-the-mouth-evangelical-pentecostal to be interested in a show about the Rapture. Just Christian enough.

7. kates2424 says:

I can’t wait to find out when this starts airing.

8. Clayton says:

Maybe it’s the selfish, lustful part of me that wants the Carver Twins to not expand their careers and stay on Teen Wolf. That being said, I will watch this show too. I just hope that since HBO series usually have short seasons, that they can still also do full time on Teen Wolf.

9. I just watched Rapture Palooza yesterday, which has the same premise, but deals with it in a ridiculous comical way. I imagine this series will have a more serious tone.

10. Trip says:

Everyone commenting here on not wanting to watch a preachy religious “rapture” show should really do a little research. The book isn’t about Christians or a Christian/Biblical event. It’s based on an event that resembles the rapture foretold in the Bible. And that’s where the religion stops–if you don’t count the obvious questions and doubts that would come up…or the cult that the wife joins.

I digress. My point is at least try Googling before you make broad, completely inaccurate/unfounded statements.

11. Jane says:

This story isn’t religious except for a weird cult that develops. It really isn’t about the Rapture and descriptions like the one above really doesn’t explain the book very well. Actually I think people who aren’t very religious will like the series better than those who are very religious. It is really just about how people deal with the aftermath of losing people.

12. Alice says:

If I wasn’t already completely off rapture stories after the Left Behind series, he still would have lost me at “Liv Tyler.”
    No. Damon. Just…no.
    Fortunately, it’s HBO, so it’s next to impossible for me to see it anyway.

13. Mikael says:

I’ll never forgive Lindelof for ruining Prometheus. The original script was perfect and he butchered it.

14. Temperance says:

I’d be thrilled for the Rapture… and it’d be Heaven on Earth after all the awful Christian whackjobs vanish. Paradise cubed, really.

15. SEO says:

I like to share information that I’ve built up through the year
    to help improve team functionality.