SNL Confirms New Cast -- With One Final Twist

Saturday Night Live Cast Additions 2013When NBC’s Saturday Night Live kicks off Season 39, it will be with a sum total of six, not five, new featured players.

RELATED | Tina Fey, Miley Cyrus and Bruce Willis Among Saturday Night Live‘s First Season 39 Hosts

As previously rumored, AT&T pitchman Beck Bennett (pictured, right) and Kyle Mooney (who also perform with the sketch comedy group Good Neighbor), female impressionist Noël Wells and comedian John Milhiser are now confirmed to join the late-night sketch series’ ensemble. Also, SNL scribe Mike O’Brien will step in front of the cameras this season.

But in announcing on Monday the new on-camera additions, SNL lobbed another name into the mix: stand-up comedian Brooks Wheelan (pictured, left), who last month had been made a part of the show’s writing staff.

RELATED | Exclusive: Lady Gaga Returning to Saturday Night Live as Musical Guest… and Host?

The official announcement comes on the heels of Lorne Michaels telling the New York Times that sophomore player Cecily Strong will co-anchor Weekend Update with Seth Meyers this season.

SNL returns Sept. 28, with host Tina Fey and musical guest Arcade Fire.

1. Esaul says:

I figured the AT&T guy would join SNL at some point. Should be interesting.

• Stefan says:

You figured that? Wow, that’s pretty good figuring. They are funny commercials, but it never occurred to me in the least. In that case, let me predict that the Geico hump-day camel will join next year.

• Esaul says:

His charisma in the commercials gave me the feeling that he’d do well on SNL and how he could easily fit in. It’s not like I’m guessing the lottery numbers…

2. Nicolas Mancuso says:

I believe it was also confirmed that Tim Robinson will move solely into the writers’ room and will no longer appear on camera.

3. JON says:

Why don’t they include that hot guy who has videos in youtube? Craigery Morgan?

4. A. I am glad to see a woman back in the Weekend Update. The segment is always my favorite, but it was never better than when Jane Curtain or Tina Fey was in the newsroom. Cecily was probably the best choice for this role, as the other ladies on the cast are more impressionists and physical humor, Cecily can say three jokes with just a change in her voice and a facial muscle movement.

B. The new cast will be great additions to the show, but it won’t matter unless the writing improves.

C. I will be sad if Tim Robinson is solely in the writers room. His awkward characters and physical humor was one of the shining spots of most of their weird and not very funny skits last year. I hope they keep him as featured at least, if not in the main cast.

• Stefan says:

I don’t know about Cecily. It seems her only facial movements are googly eyes. But… they do have to pick someone; although no one seems ideal, who’s available at this point in time. I have a feeling her performance in this role will be fairly generic with not much memorable trademark style, i.e. Norm, Dennis. Dan, Tina & Chevy, who were the best in my opinion. Did you know there have been 15? There are several I totally can’t remember.

5. BGW says:

Not one but FIVE more goofy looking white dudes. And not a single minority. Sheesh.

• Taylor says:

Agreed. SNL has never been very diverse. It’s not like their audience would mind. I’ve heard Lorne Michaels say in an interview that he doesn’t hire to fit categories, he just hires funny people, but they could at least make an effort.

• dman6015 says:

What what??? Not very diverse? Go back and check your SNL history. There have been more than 15 people in the cast considered to be “minority”. That currently includes Kenan Thompson, Jay Pharoah and Cecily Strong (latina).

• Mike R. says:

I know seriously, I like that he hires talent, but he couldn’t find one funny minority, and odds are that some of these guys will be duds.

• MoodyAmerican says:

Riiigggghhhhttttt! This is the absolute main reason I barely watch SNL. Its always the bands that makes me tune in. Maybe a minority or 2 will be lucky to host this year.

• Stefan says:

What are you all talking about?? The cast has had a consistent flow of blacks and/or Latinos since the very beginning. Some of the most well known break out TV and movie stars have been blacks or Latino that began on SNL. Just because this particular cast change didn’t include any does not mean their average over the years has not included a fair share of minorities. And the ratio is not exactly, but fairly close to the race distribution in America. What more do you want? Lorne chooses funny people. Period. And a lot of them happen to be minorities; at least the big three. Haven’t seen many (any?) Asians.

• Sarah El says:

just what I’ve always wanted. lots of goofy looking white dudes. it’s just like a judd apatow movie!!!

6. Season 39 of SNL should definitely be bigger and better than last season. Really hope that Seth Meyers is going to leave the show for good in the middle of the season and Weekend Update to host Late Night in 2014. Don’t know how the six newbies would fare this season but the one newbie I’m looking forward to is Noel Wells (only female rookie of the season). Don’t know if her Zooey Deschanel impression that was seen on YouTube is even better than Abby Elliott.

7. M says:

Snagging Beck Bennett is genius. Good job SNL.

8. The term ‘female impressionist’ makes me think it’s a transgender person. Shouldn’t it just be ‘impressionist’ or ‘female celebrity impressionist’? Or was I right the first time?

9. Faster says:

Ugh, hating all of this. Especially after all the departures and naming Cecily Strong to Weekend Update/keeping Seth Myers at the desk. Not sure if I’ll tune in this season after many years of watching.

• Stefan says:

Oh c’mon now… if you’ve watched up till this point, you know you’re going to keep watching. I don’t buy it for a minute. Idle threat : P

• What would you prefer to have happen? Belushi, Aykroyd, and Murray on the show forever? Well me too, but that isn’t going to happen. Have to hope the writing is good and assume Lorne knows what he’s doing casting. They all start out relatively unknown, but SNL has continuously churned out some amazing talent. Will Farrell, Tina Fey, Kristen Wiig, Andy Samberg… etc. There will assuredly be some mediocre people, but there’s almost without question going to be some standouts in this group that go on to big success.

10. Annette says:

I hope we see more of the hump day camel much better then most commercials. He would fit in with the SNL gang anytime.

• That commercial is so racist against camels.

• Stefan says:

I know, right? It makes camels seem as if they are loud-mouthed buffoons! Every camel I know is well-spoken, well-mannered and nothing like that caricature that they put on that commercial. It’s a totally racist… err, uh… speciest portrayal of camels! I’m never buying Geico again!

11. Joey says:

I’m looking forward to the new cast members in the new season. hopefully they will be good.