Nashville Exclusive: Powers Boothe Among Actors Not Returning as Series Regulars

Get More: Casting News, Exclusive

POWERS BOOTHENashville is experiencing a Powers outage.

TVLine has confirmed exclusively that Powers Boothe — who plays Lamar Wyatt, the father of Connie Britton’s Rayna — will not be returning as a series regular in Season 2.

AdditionallyRobert Ray Wisdom, aka Deacon’s sponsor Coleman, also won’t be back as a regular.

PHOTOS | Fall TV Spoiler Spectacular: Exclusive Scoop on Nashville, Plus 44 Other Returning Favorites

Both actors will instead appear on a recurring basis (Boothe will actually turn up in the show’s Sept. 25 premiere).

The news comes roughly two months after Nashville issued series regular promotions to three current castmembers — Chris Carmack (Will), Lennon Stella (Maddie) and Maisy Stella (Daphne).

Comments (22)

• Meh. I could care less , TBH.

Comment by Bass Drum – September 16, 2013 12:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I started liking Powers at the end of the season. They really need to lose Rayna’s sister! Then the show would be PERFECT!

Comment by lorna – September 16, 2013 12:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Terrible idea. Boothe is actually an ACTOR, not just another insipid face. Hard to keep track of the story lines of most male actors in this show who all look alike.

The political aspect was good and should have been strengthened to keep Nashville from becoming a sort of country-singer X Factor, nothing but music and backstage hissy fits. Ho hum.

Now I may or may not care whether the show tanks.

Comment by Daisy – September 17, 2013 01:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well… If we lose the “political” storyline, that’s really not a big deal.
    It really weakens the first season…

Comment by Ben – September 16, 2013 12:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That was my first thought, that we’ll be losing all the political stuff, which is awesome because that was my least favourite part of the show.

Comment by lauren – September 16, 2013 06:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m not mad about it!

Comment by Elyse – September 16, 2013 12:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Works for me…

Comment by cjinsd – September 16, 2013 12:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Powers Boothe is a terrific actor but he really didn’t have much of a part to play anyway. It won’t be a big loss. Kind of surprised about Coleman though considering the way the season ended.

Comment by Bobbi – September 16, 2013 12:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fine by me…next thing to do is get rid of Raina’s husband…he bores me as much as the other ones

Comment by Jeff – September 16, 2013 12:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m glad Will and the 2 daughters will be main cast. They are fun to watch.

Since Teddy is no longer campaigning it makes sense Lamar isn’t around as much. And yes Deacon will need a sponsor but Coleman doesn’t have to be in every episode.

The best part of this show is the music so I’m all about focusing on the cast member’s who sing :D

Comment by Raven – September 16, 2013 12:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Turning away from the political storyline is a good idea, as it really didn’t work last season. But I would have rather have Coleman then Teddy, as unrealistic as that is

Comment by steve o (@ravenwing263) – September 16, 2013 12:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That makes sense, the political storyline is the weakest aspect of the show, making the actors recurring is much better.

Comment by monica4185 – September 16, 2013 12:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree with the consensus that if it means less of the political story I’m fine with it even though these are very good actors

Comment by Juan – September 16, 2013 12:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank god. The worst cast members that I do not even consider to be regular first season are demoted and my three faves are promoted. ^_^

Comment by Austin – September 16, 2013 12:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Powers Boothe has been spared any more harm from this piece of drivel that he unfortunately agreed to sign up. Nashville, thank the powers that be, is headed for cancellation!

Comment by rockerrick – October 20, 2013 09:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is understandable. These were the least interesting characters. I would also add Rayna’s sister. But I do like Coleman, although the way he walked away from Deacon and leaving him to get to a meeting on his own was all kinds of stupid.

Comment by Babygate – September 16, 2013 12:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s not like we won’t see them again. Even if they’re in half the episodes, it wouldn’t have made sense to keep them as regulars.

Comment by FatherOctavian – September 16, 2013 01:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They rather keep Eric Close if he’s going to make it through Season Two and beyond. Did like him though on Without a Trace but not as good then he was on CHAOS over on CBS when the series was short lived because it debut during mid-season.

Comment by Flacco Kaepernick – September 16, 2013 02:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Unsurprising but still a shame, they were two of the better actors on the show but stuck in an awful storyline. I’m glad the show seems to be refocusing solely on the music industry (although what does this mean for Dreadful Peggy?)!

Comment by Dizzle – September 16, 2013 02:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • All good and well… but what about Michiel Huisman, that is what I really want to know!

Comment by EWJ – September 17, 2013 11:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good for Mr. Boothe..he deserves much better that this hour of inane and banal dialogues and tripe. He was a monster on “Deadwood.” Nashville will thankfully leave the airwaves this year as their ratings plummet.

Comment by xprophet – October 20, 2013 09:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Powers Boothe has been “my man to die for actor” for about thirty years.

He was wasted on this horrible show.

I think he is a wonderful actor. I love his facial features, high cheek bones, everything about him, classy man. I hope his wife appreciates him.

Comment by Nancy – February 13, 2014 04:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post