Exclusive

Nashville Exclusive: Powers Boothe Among Actors Not Returning as Series Regulars

POWERS BOOTHENashville is experiencing a Powers outage.

TVLine has confirmed exclusively that Powers Boothe — who plays Lamar Wyatt, the father of Connie Britton’s Rayna — will not be returning as a series regular in Season 2.

AdditionallyRobert Ray Wisdom, aka Deacon’s sponsor Coleman, also won’t be back as a regular.

PHOTOS | Fall TV Spoiler Spectacular: Exclusive Scoop on Nashville, Plus 44 Other Returning Favorites

Both actors will instead appear on a recurring basis (Boothe will actually turn up in the show’s Sept. 25 premiere).

The news comes roughly two months after Nashville issued series regular promotions to three current castmembers — Chris Carmack (Will), Lennon Stella (Maddie) and Maisy Stella (Daphne).

1. Bass Drum says:

Meh. I could care less , TBH.

• lorna says:

I started liking Powers at the end of the season. They really need to lose Rayna’s sister! Then the show would be PERFECT!

• Daisy says:

Terrible idea. Boothe is actually an ACTOR, not just another insipid face. Hard to keep track of the story lines of most male actors in this show who all look alike.

The political aspect was good and should have been strengthened to keep Nashville from becoming a sort of country-singer X Factor, nothing but music and backstage hissy fits. Ho hum.

Now I may or may not care whether the show tanks.

2. Ben says:

Well… If we lose the “political” storyline, that’s really not a big deal.
    It really weakens the first season…

• lauren says:

That was my first thought, that we’ll be losing all the political stuff, which is awesome because that was my least favourite part of the show.

3. Elyse says:

I’m not mad about it!

4. cjinsd says:

Works for me…

5. Bobbi says:

Powers Boothe is a terrific actor but he really didn’t have much of a part to play anyway. It won’t be a big loss. Kind of surprised about Coleman though considering the way the season ended.

6. Jeff says:

Fine by me…next thing to do is get rid of Raina’s husband…he bores me as much as the other ones

7. Raven says:

I’m glad Will and the 2 daughters will be main cast. They are fun to watch.

Since Teddy is no longer campaigning it makes sense Lamar isn’t around as much. And yes Deacon will need a sponsor but Coleman doesn’t have to be in every episode.

The best part of this show is the music so I’m all about focusing on the cast member’s who sing :D

8. Turning away from the political storyline is a good idea, as it really didn’t work last season. But I would have rather have Coleman then Teddy, as unrealistic as that is

9. monica4185 says:

That makes sense, the political storyline is the weakest aspect of the show, making the actors recurring is much better.

10. Juan says:

I agree with the consensus that if it means less of the political story I’m fine with it even though these are very good actors

11. Austin says:

Thank god. The worst cast members that I do not even consider to be regular first season are demoted and my three faves are promoted. ^_^

• rockerrick says:

Powers Boothe has been spared any more harm from this piece of drivel that he unfortunately agreed to sign up. Nashville, thank the powers that be, is headed for cancellation!

12. Babygate says:

This is understandable. These were the least interesting characters. I would also add Rayna’s sister. But I do like Coleman, although the way he walked away from Deacon and leaving him to get to a meeting on his own was all kinds of stupid.

13. FatherOctavian says:

It’s not like we won’t see them again. Even if they’re in half the episodes, it wouldn’t have made sense to keep them as regulars.

14. They rather keep Eric Close if he’s going to make it through Season Two and beyond. Did like him though on Without a Trace but not as good then he was on CHAOS over on CBS when the series was short lived because it debut during mid-season.

15. Dizzle says:

Unsurprising but still a shame, they were two of the better actors on the show but stuck in an awful storyline. I’m glad the show seems to be refocusing solely on the music industry (although what does this mean for Dreadful Peggy?)!

16. EWJ says:

All good and well… but what about Michiel Huisman, that is what I really want to know!

17. xprophet says:

Good for Mr. Boothe..he deserves much better that this hour of inane and banal dialogues and tripe. He was a monster on “Deadwood.” Nashville will thankfully leave the airwaves this year as their ratings plummet.

18. Nancy says:

Powers Boothe has been “my man to die for actor” for about thirty years.

He was wasted on this horrible show.

I think he is a wonderful actor. I love his facial features, high cheek bones, everything about him, classy man. I hope his wife appreciates him.