Emmys

Emmys 2013: 'In Memoriam' Expanded to Honor James Gandolfini, Cory Monteith, Three Others

Emmys In Memoriam 2013 James GandolfiniMake sure you’ve got a full box of Kleenex for Sunday’s 2013 Emmy Awards: The telecast will feature expanded “In Memoriam” tributes to five industry powerhouses — James Gandolfini, Cory Monteith, Jean Stapleton, Gary David Goldberg and Jonathan Winters — complete with personal tributes from close friends or coworkers.

PHOTOS | Fall TV Spoiler Spectacular: Exclusive Pics and Scoops on 45 Returning Favorites

Gandolfini, Monteith and Stapleton will be remembered by Edie Falco, Jane Lynch and Rob Reiner, their respective costars from The Sopranos, Glee and All in the Family. Michael J. Fox will pay tribute to Family Ties producer Goldberg. And Robin Williams will speak about his friend and mentor Winters, with whom he worked on Mork & Mindy.

RELATED | Emmys 2013: Bob Newhart Grabs His First Gold, Plus Wins for Carrie Preston, Scandal and Louie Stars; HBO’s Candelabra Leads Early Pack

“The ‘In Memoriam’ is a very emotional and evocative segment for the Emmys, or any annual awards program,” said Executive Producer Ken Ehrlich, in a statement. “These five individuals brought us such great entertainment and joy, so having their close friends share personal remembrances is something that will be very meaningful for television audiences across the country and across the generations. And our traditional ‘In Memoriam’ segment will be presented in a unique new format that will give added importance to an already much anticipated segment of the Emmy show.”

The Emmys air this Sunday at 8/7c on CBS.

What do you think of Emmy’s decision to bolster the 2013 ‘In Memoriam’ segment? Sound off in the comments!

1. Nikita says:

What about Lee Thompson Young? I would think he deserves to be remembered too, especially since he has been acting since he was a little kid (close to 20 years).

What do you think Michael? And I’m asking as someone who has followed you since the days of your TV Guide Podcasts so I really want to know.

• Daven says:

Michael, how do we go about voicing our protests about the exclusion of Larry Hagman? He deserves the same honor as Jean Stapleton and Jonathan Winters.
      Also, Lee Thompson Young will be in the regular In Memorium segment.

• Alan says:

larry hagman should have monteiths spot. its an absolute joke that an iconic actor like hagman who had a long and successful career is being shoved aside for the flavour of the moment who died of a drug overdose, that is not the kind of death we should be celebrating.

• ajintexas says:

Exactly. This country is a messed up place with people that worship crackheads that overdose and people that kill kill themselves.

• Brendan says:

Well some people would say that Gandolfini died of a heart attack because he was overweight and out of shape for most of his life, so it could be considered his fault just as much as an addict that overdoses on drugs (like Monteith). Luckily, the ‘In Memorium’ portion of award shows is about their acting career and the impact it had on viewers, not their personal lives. And like it or not, Glee has had a huge impact on TV and Monteith played a big part in that.

• Tom Tagliente says:

Agreed Alan.

• Nikita says:

Thanks Daven, I hadn’t heard for sure so I appreciate the info and I totally agree about Larry Hagman.

• Babette Gordon says:

Leaving out larry Hagman ? I can’t believe it ! — James Gandolfini, Cory Monteith, Jean Stapleton, Gary David Goldberg and Jonathan Winters .Cory Monteityh ?The Glee kid? When did teenagers get to influence the Emmy’s ? Larry not being included in a tribute is an insult .He was just as good a actor(In my opinion better) than everyone mentioned!!!

• Tom Tagliente says:

Prime Time soap actors are often overlooked because Soaps are not really considered real shows by the academy. FACT. Larry should be singled out, but I am sure he will be in the main video presentation. But, it won’t be the same. :-(

• Ann says:

What about Larry Hagman???? He’s a tv LEGEND. Bump off Monteith from the special tribute. He doesn’t deserve a special tribute.

• Outraged says:

What about Andy Griffith? They have got to be kidding. He is a LEGEND!

• Sharee says:

I totally agree with you about honoring ANDY GRIFFITH! He was one of America’s most beloved actors and his shows still run to huge audiences. Griffith and Hagman deserved to be honored much more than a teen drug idol.

• doesn’t deserve? that’s pretty harsh. yes, larry hagman ALSO deserves a spot, but considering that MILLIONS of people are familiar with and adored Cory Monteith, to say he doesn’t deserve this kind of recognition is really quite mean-spirited. i’d say let everyone have someone speak about them, but that would be an entire show in itself. and since we’re talking about people who have passed, why not give them ALL the respect they’ve earned and deserve? why do we have to be so mean about it?

• Vanny says:

Agreed…. And I also agree about Larry Hagman too. Why are they overlooked…?

2. FSake says:

How about Lee Thompson Young and Elmore Leonard?

• FatherOctavian says:

While Elmore’s death is a huge loss, I can see why he didn’t merit special consideration from the TV Academy; he hasn’t worked in television since the eighties, and none of his TV work is especially prominent.

If this were a literary awards show, he would absolutely deserve the spotlight.

3. Allison says:

No Lee Thimpson Young in the in memoriam?

4. JR says:

I like this. I think these four actors and producer represent different genres and had significant meaning to different generations of TV viewers. And, I’m personally glad Cory Monteith is being recognized–his death clearly moved many (in and out of the entertainment field). Two months later we’re still talking about him (he’s #5 in this week’s People’s Top Celebrities) , and I think it’s appropriate and fitting for him to be recognized along with these other bright stars.

• ... says:

No, it’s not. His impact on the television industry is microscopic compared to the other four and it’s absurd that he’s being placed alongside them. Very sad death, no doubt, but come on.

• Lisa says:

Agreed. The Emmy’s want to attract a younger audience, and that’s why he’s getting extra screen time.

• Amie says:

I’m with you. Cory Monteith alongside Jonathan Winters, Jean Stapleton and James Gandolfini is beyond odd.

• Elf says:

It’s not odd, it’s downright insulting to the others for Monteith to be included with them at all. In any comparison of impact and body or work he comes up ridiculously short. At the big dinner table in the sky, Stapleton, Goldberg, Winters and Gandolfini are eating together and Monteith is their waiter.

• VoiceofReason says:

The Emmys have always been trying to get a younger demo (pop culture shows getting nominations even when they shouldn’t), but this is a new low. Cory was talented and his death was tragic, but to put him on a small list with TV legends who had been around for multiple decades is just ridiculous. I think it’s really tragic that one of the most memorable TV legends, Larry Hagman, was not included likely because he didn’t pass away within the last month or so. They probably planned to have a special tribute for Cory the second it was announced, like hungry dogs. But they realized they had to include a few others to make it not so obvious, so the other most recent deaths were shoved onto the Cory Monteith Emmy Tribute. Shame on them.

5. Jill says:

Why not Larry Hagman? He is just as iconic as all of these-

• FatherOctavian says:

I do agree with this. He was a TV legend.

• Amie says:

I noticed that the others all passed away in 2013, while Hagman died in 2012. I don’t think that should matter (since they all passed after since the last Emmy broadcast) and I agree that Larry Hagman was a TV giant and deserves special honors, but I kind of wonder if the timing is why they chose those five, who all died more recently (April, May, June and July, 2013) as opposed to November, 2012.

• Ann says:

But Hagman died in the past year since the previous Emmy Award. They don’t go by calendar year. Hagman died too late for the last tribute, so he goes on this year’s tribute. And he is far more deserving of a special tribute than Monteith.

• LizM says:

Larry Hagman is a legend around the world!
      Yes, Gondolfini too, They are both in a different category!

Larry was not even mentioned at the Oscars!!! How on earth could they forget to honor the unforgettable JR Ewing????

Honor youg artists who died bc of an overdose?? Yes it is sad but is it a reason to be honored as the legends that spent their lives working and died against their will or doing??? Makes you wonder …. Are they encoraging people to take theur lives?

6. TVFan says:

I am sure Larry Hagman, Lee Thompson Young, Elmore Leonard, and many others will be remembered in the traditional ‘In Memoriam’ montage. These 5 people will get special recognition during the broadcast.

• anna says:

The problem is Cory Monteith doesn’t deserve special recognition, especially not along side extraordinary actors like Jean Stapleton and James Gandolfini, who both changed tv with their characters. It’s sad Monteith died but he does not deserve special recognition for being an actor on Glee who overdosed.

• Bob says:

Agreed. Monteith in no way deserves extra recognition. Larry Hagman should be in his place. What an insult to his career and memory.

7. Lisa says:

How is Cory Monteith an “industry powerhouse?” It’s very sad that he’s gone, but the Emmy’s should man up and admit why they are giving him extended screen time: Ratings.

• sabrina says:

Agreed. Why is there no special tribute for Larry Hagman? He deserves it far more than Cory Monteith. I’m sure that for may Glee fans he will be fondly remembered however his TV legacy is miniscule compared to the other four.

8. TL says:

Not a good idea.

9. Jane says:

I understand singling out the others, but Cory Monteith, honestly, he hadn’t been performing that long, his skills weren’t that impressive, lots of people probably have never seen him in anything, and it just seems like pandering to the age demo that they hope will turn in but really couldn’t care less about the Emmys.

10. Brian says:

How about Larry Hagman, a TV legend

11. Elizabeth Montgomery says:

This is BS! Cory Monteith is famous for one show for the last couple years and then dies from a drug overdose. I am not saying to exclude him because be has many fans who want to memorialize him, but I disagree that he should be singled out for this extra segment. It is just not fair to those acting legends who devoted their lives to their craft

12. Ralph says:

I absolutely agree. It is completely unforgivable that Larry Hagman should not be singled out as well. His legacy spans over 50 years with two beloved hit series. To not single him out and to single out Monteith is just ridiculous and makes the Emmys even more of a joke than ever.

• Layne says:

I completely agree. The lack of respect for icon Larry Hagman is absurd.

• Glee and Dallas fan says:

I understand Larry Hagman is a TV legend, but he also died as a result of complications from a life of drinking alcohol. In a way, he also died from an overdose of a different kind. Please stop using Larry Hagman to bash Cory Monteith as both died in similar fashion. While they may not have worked the same amount of time, they both deserve to be honored.

13. Ron says:

James Gandolfini, Jean Stapleton, Jonathan Winters, and Gary Goldberg all warrant an expanded tribute, so I’m glad they’re getting it. All four changed TV in a way that no one will ever again be able to do. Cory’s death was a tragedy, and of course there’s no argument including him in the regular In Memoriam category. But to single him out along side these four industry powerhouses is nothing short of absurd. His TV contribution was 3 seasons on a very mediocre show. The TV academy has essentially given him the 5th spot in a special tribute that would have been better served for someone like Larry Hagman. Cory was young and died under very unfortunate circumstances. But I feel like that’s the only reason he is getting this special mention…that, and the Emmy’s want to do something to attract a younger crowd. Despite his youth and the horrible sickness that took his life, that doesn’t warrant a special mention, in my book, when discussing trailblazers in the TV industry.

14. Layne says:

I know his death was tragic, but I find it downright insulting that Corey Monteith would get a special recognition at the Emmy’s over LARRY HAGMAN — a television LEGEND. (passed away in November 2012). 10 years from now will anybody know who “Finn Hudson” is? No — but you can dang well be sure that Major Anthony Nelson and especially J.R. Ewing are names that will be recognized for decades to come.

• Layne says:

If Emmy’s Executive Producer Ken Ehrlich wants to preserve the integrity of this awards show – then he better get Linda Gray and/or Patrick Duffy there to do a special tribute to Larry Hagman. Montieth an “Industry :Powerhouse”… in what universe?

• DK says:

I think you’re underestimating Glee’s popularity with younger audiences. For younger generations, there’s absolutely no doubt that Cory and “Finn Hudson” are far more relevant. There’s no need to be so mean-spirited over something that – in reality – is quite trivial.

• Teri says:

Well, let’s celebrate Montieth for what he was–a one-shot wonder who overdosed and contributed so much as a ROLE MODEL for American youth. Give me a break! Jonathan Winters was one of a kind. I think the same can be said for Gandofini, Stapleton and Hagman. Much as I appreciate Lee Thompson Young’s work, he and Montieth are not of the same status as the others.

15. Aprilcot says:

I think this is kind of tacky. How do they decide who is “worthy”? This is worse than the clapping during the ‘In Memoriam’ section.

16. TV Gord says:

I’m very happy to read this! Not to sound ghoulish, but the In Memoriam part of the show is my favorite part of any awards show, and the Emmy broadcast is my Super Bowl!

I do have to say I agree with everyone above, though. Cory Monteith’s death was terrible, but he doesn’t have the stature in television that Larry Hagman did. As Lisa correctly points out, it’s likely all about attracting the Gleek audience, and really–to them–his loss was just as big to them as the others were to other segments of the audience.

I’m reminded of when John Candy and Kurt Cobain died on the same day. Media reports of Candy’s death overshadowed Cobain’s at first, but fans of both stars were grieving equally. I personally wouldn’t put Cory in the same class of all the others, but I’m not the only one watching, am I? ;-)

Incidentally, I just (finally) watched the Daytime Emmys this past weekend (I know, I know, it’s been months), and I noticed that some of the stars that people griped about being excluded in last year’s prime time broadcast were acknowledged there, so I guess the two Emmy shows divide the deceased members of the Academy between the two shows, depending on where they are considered to be more appropriate. Just a hunch.

17. Cara says:

What about Dennis Farina? He’s been active in the TV/Film industry since 1981 till his death this summer.
    Before becoming an actor, he served three years in the United States Army and then 18 years in the Chicago Police Department’s burglary division.
    He was a great actor and a great man serving his country and his memory should be honored in this “In Memoriam’ Expanded list.

• elf says:

Farina was a good actor and a great man and I’d certainly sooner see him get special recognition than the kid from Glee, but I don’t think his contribution to television overall was significant.

18. kd86953 says:

What Larry Hagman is to a lot of you, is what Cory Monteith is to others. Yes, Cory hadn’t been around for very long, but he had an incredible impact on a huge number of people. I appreciate the Emmys acknowledging various individuals from various aspects of the industry. I know a lot of Gleekers were devastated with Cory’s death and I think it’s incredibly lovely that they want to acknowledge his death for their younger viewers. Many younger Gleekers don’t know who Jean Stapleton is or James Gandolfini is. Just because Cory’s fans are on the younger side doesn’t make his death any “less” than the others. I appreciate the Emmys for this.

• kd86953 says:

Speaking of the entire segment, I think it’s disrespectful to the others who have passed away. What makes these four individuals more worthy of a special moment?

• TL says:

And thus the problem with today’s society. Clearly, you are from the generation where “everyone gets a trophy”. While I was saddened by Cory’s death, he does not deserve this special recognition. To be honest, I don’t think any of them do…I think this segment should air as it always does and not make a few people more special than others. I think it’s disrespectful to the EMMY community as a whole. And I kinda feel like they would NOT want to be made any more special than their peers who passed away too.

19. Joey says:

Sorry but Cory Monteith is far from an “industry powerhouse”.

20. connerc says:

The problem with special tributes is they just call more attention to those who should have received them as well. Then, everyone gets mad.

21. TVFan says:

I’m a little worried about this portion of the statement:
    “our traditional ‘In Memoriam’ segment will be presented in a unique new format”
    I hope this does not mean that it will be online only, or streamed to a second screen, or available only through Twitter, or some other ridiculous form that will only be seen by people who have to go looking for it.
    Please do not leave any people off the list this year!

22. “industry powerhouse”.
    Are those TVLines words, or the Emmys?

I’m sorry, but that’s a term that simply cannot be used for an actor from Glee.
    The guys career had hardly begun when he (tragically) died, so even saying “big name stars” wouldn’t have worked.

I agree with others saying this is a pure ratings grab, which is quite an insensitive move on the part of the show.

Also, Dennis Farina? Larry Hagman?
    As much as i though Gandolfini was a true gent, it’s very arguable that those two names are way bigger – especially Hagman.

You could also justify the point that a lot of the general viewers won’t know who Jonathan Winters or Gary David Goldberg are.

Not saying they don’t deserve tributes, just saying the faces in front of the camera are mostly the ones the average viewer will know.

23. Lina Moyer says:

I know many think Cory Montieth shouldn’t be recognized because he is not the powerhouse that the others are but people need to recognize that his death was shocking and tragic to many. My son wouldn’t know the others actors that passed away … To his generation and to the generations between him and I, Cory is the one they are grieving. I agree 100 percent that he is not in the same catagory as the others, but there are many different generations that are affected and should be represented. I am 38 and don’t consider myself a “fangirl” and am very saddened by Cory’s death… Just like Heath Ledger, River Pheonix and others he was taken much too young and their for that in itself makes his death noteworthy in my opinion. I for one am happy to see him memorialized. Also I too agree about Larry Hagman… Legend and should be included as well.

• ajintexas says:

Therte is something wrong with your son if he is grieving over an acotr he never met and only knows as a non-existent character on a TV show. I feel sorry for your kid in the future because he clearly doesn’t live in reality if he is that affected by the death of someone he has seen on tv.

• darcywilson says:

Just because the younger generation may not know these other actors, that doesn’t mean they need to just chuck one in that they do. Honestly, it should be about paying tribute to actual powerhouses of the industry. To not include Larry Hagman is an outrage, in my opinion. With his work on Dallas, he helped to shape the primetime soap – a genre that blew up in the 80s and has been popular ever since. Cory’s death was tragic, but he was no powerhouse. He was nothing really big to the industry at the end of the day. His work was okay, his death was tragic, but he doesn’t compare to Larry Hagman in any way. To say that that’s okay just because young people don’t know him is ridiculous to me.

24. I can expect Jean Stapleton,James Gandolfini and Jonathan Winters to be honored because they deserved and earned it.Cory Monteith is another story,he should in the memorium tribute then have his own segment,at least substitute either Larry Hagman,Jack Klugman or even Andy Griffith.Show respect for the legends of television.

25. Carrie says:

It would be nice to have the academy honor someone by singling them out from all the artists that passed away this year, who had a long career and was considered a legend in the TV industry, like Larry Hagman as mentioned above or Jeanne Cooper, who was on Young & The Restless for 40 years and had many primetime roles prior to that – granted it was a daytime show but she was on TV for thousands of hours and considered one of the Grand Dames of Daytime. Corey Montieth’s death was a tragedy at his own hands and I agree with many of the posts above – it should not be glorified, and he did not qualify as a tv powerhouse in his 4 years on Glee.

26. Anna says:

it’s really sad to see so many people comparing and speaking ill of people who passed away… it shouldn’t matter to you why someone is or isn’t on the list. you should just appreciate their work on television, movies, charities and, especially, the impact they had on people…

I find it saddening that these are the comments to a story like this one. truly shows the way the world and society is right now. it seems like it’s better or easier to tarnish someone’s memory instead of just being happy for the recognition the person is getting. it looks envious and spiteful and it should be the opposite, especially in this case when these amazing persons who made us laugh, cry, believe and think are not with us anymore.

• ajintexas says:

I disagree. People need to grow up and stop living vicariously through characters on TV. They also need to grow up and become well adjusted adults that don’t get emotional over the death of someone they have never met in person yet talk about like they were best friends. That is absolutely not normal. I can understand it a little bit with a huge superstar that has been famous for a very long time, maybe. But these people that want to memorialize a freaking drug addict that caused his own death but can’t be bothered to lift a single finger to help the poor or anyone else are worthless.

• U says:

Wow. I’m not trying to insult you but you seem really ignorant. First of all you contradict yourself in one small paragraph. And second and most importantly you apparently are totally uninformed and uneducated regarding addiction. Hopefully people reading your opinion will notice this. Sad.

• Anna says:

they are not characters, they are people… and being respectful is not living vicariously through them…

27. angelcake says:

Why not just include Cory in the montage and actually put someone who existed for more than a few years on a show and one one note role? I find it odd that they’re singling him out when its not like its a slow year of notable passings. .

28. Trip says:

Calling Cory Monteith an “industry powerhouse” is laughable, at best. For people who think that type of comment is “mean-spirited,” take a look at the other names (and names like Larry Hagman which are being left out.) Look up their careers and accomplishments. Putting someone with ONE major credit and no individual recognition to speak of in that company is–frankly–insulting.

29. Marco says:

What about Dennis Farina??

30. R.O.B. says:

I’m sorry, but having Corey Monteith share the same headline and memorium broadcast as James Gandolfini reminds me of the Saturday Night Live episode that had a commercial pitching a DVD of “The Best of Horatio Sans”. It was his first day on SNL, and he had only been in one skit so far.

31. DK says:

They’re trying to represent different generations across those with special recognition to appeal to a wide range of viewers. No one “deserves” a spot over anyone else. Cory Monteith’s death shocked the world. He was only thirty years old and there wasn’t a single magazine cover that didn’t feature him. You’re all literally complaining about the fact that a person who has passed is getting a one minute speech dedicated to him. The fact of the matter is that, for the vast majority of younger viewers, Cory Monteith is far more recognisable and relevant than anyone else on that list. His passing was so tragic, and Hollywood has decided to honour that. That doesn’t make him any more important or significant than anyone else. The Emmy producers explained it themselves; they’ve tried to pick actors that had particular significance to different generations. Now let’s all move on with our lives.

32. Brendan says:

It’s really sad to see people bashing a dead person. Get some class people. :(

33. Rodney says:

Larry Hagman Is A Television Icon!
    He Should Be Mentioned!

34. Clay Dove says:

Mr. Larry Hagman was a television and cultural icon, a legend in his own time. How dare they not give him special honors. He WAS television in the 70s and 80s.

35. Matt says:

What about Larry Hagman!?

36. Jason Paris says:

It’s really quite incredible that Larry Hagman wouldn’t be included here.

37. donal says:

As a young person myself I am astounded that Larry Hagman will not be included. He is responsible for one of the biggest TV audiences of all time. I dont min who they include but to leave out Larry Hagman is a joke and makes one wonder whether this is just for ratings. I bet this would be a totally different story if it was 1995 and Larry Hagman had died.

38. Philip says:

I find all this bashing really weird, as we have not even seen what The Emmy’s will do with the other people. We don’t know how the In Memoriam section will be structured. Larry Hagman, Elmore Leonard, and Dennis Farina will be included I’m sure. (Andy Griffith passed away early 2012) .We have no knowledge on what it will bee like Let’s see the segment on the Emmy’s before we judge.

39. Corina says:

This snubbing of Larry Hagman is shameful. He was a television icon, a legendary actor whose career spanned decades and included the most watched cliff hanger of all time. Cory Monteith was popular in the last few years. Big difference. Will people remember JR Ewing or Finn Hudson in 20 more years from now? Maybe that’s a better memoriam for Larry than a few slides at an awards show anyway.

40. RCRFan says:

No Larry Hagman. I am dumbfounded. With his unbelievable influence for decades! Sadly it appears that youth & ratings are more important. I don’t know if I will bother to watch it.

41. Melanie says:

Wow…I just can’t believe the Emmy’s won’t honor Larry Hagman. Well I won’t watch then.

42. Dale says:

It’s a travesty that Larry Hagman and Jack Klugman were excluded. They were on the TV scene way before Montieth was an itch in his father’s pants.

43. Nancy says: