Fall TV Preview

Sleepy Hollow: Five Things to Know About Fox's Haunting, (Revisionist) Historical New Drama

sleepy-hollow-horseman-325Ichabod Crane may not know it, but he owes a debt of gratitude to one Ms. Carrie Mathison.

That’s because Showtime’s Homeland so inspired the creators of Fox’s Sleepy Hollow (which debuts Monday at 9/8c), they decided to go headless or go home.

“The thing that I loved about Homeland so much… is that every episode could’ve been the finale. Every single episode,” said Alex Kurtzman, who — with fellow Fringe alum Roberto Orci — is behind the new supernatural series.

PHOTOS | Fall TV Spoiler Spectacular: Exclusive Scoop on 45 of Your Returning Faves

Homeland “kind of set a new standard in the way stories were being told, and I think we embraced that fully,” he added during a conference call with reporters. “So, we have jumped into the deep end of the pool knowing that our premise is sort of one molecule away from insanity at all times, but we are keeping it tethered to a grounded, emotional reality that hopefully allows you to buy into it and to really live in the world.”

“One molecule away from insanity” isn’t an overstatement. The drama finds Ichabod Crane (Tom Mison, Salmon Fishing in the Yemen) — AKA the main character in Washington Irving’s ghostly short story “The Legend of Sleepy Hollow” — waking up in modern-day New York state centuries after nearly dying in a Revolutionary War run-in with the entity that becomes The Headless Horseman.

Local detective Abbie Mills (Nicole Beharie, 42) is made aware of Crane’s case after the Horseman, also recently awakened via magical mumbo-jumbo, begins a reign of terror in the quiet town of Sleepy Hollow. Together, the pair begin to realize that some seriously evil forces are afoot… and they may be the only people who can stop them.

VIDEOSleepy Hollow Stars Say Legend-ary Twist Means Fewer Rules

It’s a big premise, to be sure. Good thing Orci and Kurtzman offered up a few handy tips to keep in mind while watching Sleepy Hollow‘s pilot.

DON’T LOOK BACK IN ANGER |The series relies heavily on flashbacks to Crane’s colonial life, a device that Kurtzman says works well for the procedural/horror series. “On top of the cases of the week, the solutions to the modern-day story is to look to the past,” he said. “And the idea being that if you don’t learn from the past, you’re doomed to repeat it.”

NOT SO BY-THE-BOOK | As we’ve noted before, the good people of Sleepy Hollow have never heard of Irving’s classic tale, and it’s not because the town library’s collection is lacking. “We are trying to create a kind of very unique hero here.  You know, no one tells Spider-Man or Batman, ‘Oh, you’re that Spider-Man or Batman from the Stan Lee comic,’” Orci said. The short story, he adds, is “ultimately just a jumping-off point for our series.”

Sleepy Hollow Season 1 SpoilersIF THE TURNCOAT FITS | In the very beginning of the pilot, you’ll note that the British Crane is fighting alongside American soldiers. It’s a story tweak that came about after Mison went out for the part, said Orci. “Originally, we were not going to go for an English actor. But when we met him and saw him read, we realized that actually in the day of the Revolutionary War, many of the folks fighting for revolution and for the independence of the country may have recently arrived from the U.K. “

BEHIND THE SCENES OF HISTORY | As the series continues, expect to learn a lot more about certain historical events than your seventh grade teacher ever shared. Kurtzman said the Boston Tea Party, Paul Revere’s ride and the Boston Massacre are all potential fodder for the show’s revisionist history. “Revisiting those events and finding out what was happening on the periphery of those things leads to modern-day discoveries,” he said.

NUMBERS GAME | And what about the 144,000 population figure, highlighted in the pilot, which doesn’t quite reflect the real-life size of the New York hamlet? It “has some relevance biblically,” Orci said reassuringly.

Intrigued by Sleepy Hollow‘s premise? Planning to tune in for the pilot? Sound off in the comments!

Comments (30)

• Yep, this is the first new show of the season I plan to watch live!

Comment by Henry A. Otero (Hanko9) – September 15, 2013 08:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If I’m not mistaken 144,000 people is the number of people supposed to disappear in the Rapture. This is the show I’m looking forward to the second most this fall.

Comment by Whimsical – September 15, 2013 08:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s a reference from Revelation. 12,000 from each of the 12 tribes of Israel will be sealed as servants of god on their foreheads.

Comment by Badpenny – September 15, 2013 08:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t wait to see this show.

Comment by Brooke – September 15, 2013 08:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Looks great! Can’t wait!

Comment by Ava – September 15, 2013 08:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • When I saw the trailer, can you imagine how The Headless Horseman use a machine gun like that. Guess I’ll tune in to see the premiere if it’s available On Demand.

Comment by Flacco Kaepernick – September 15, 2013 09:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so here for that show

Comment by ichabbie – September 15, 2013 10:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Last episode: Ichabod goes back in time, tells his story to Irwing, Irving writes it. Flash forward to the present, Abbie finds a copy of the book in the library (or Amazon.com).

Sounds like a good series. I’m looking forward to it.

Comment by Michael Sacal – September 15, 2013 10:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ooo, that would be an awesome ending.

Comment by liz – September 15, 2013 01:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Better.

Angie goes back in time and writes the book under the pseudonym of Washington Irving.

Comment by Michael Sacal – September 15, 2013 03:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Unless it gets the Fox Friday treatment I can’t see this lasting long enough to get a real ending.

Comment by David4 – September 15, 2013 02:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I hope it does. At least four seasons. One for each Horseman.

Comment by Michael Sacal – September 15, 2013 03:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Ah, Fox, where sci-fi shows go to die. May as well start the campaign to save the show now.

Comment by Miss Priss – September 15, 2013 06:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Hi would you mind letting me know which web host you’re using? I’ve loaded your blog in 3 completely different internet browsers and I must say this blog loads a lot quicker then most. Can you recommend a good internet hosting provider at a honest price? Thanks a lot, I appreciate it!

Comment by Pamala – September 21, 2013 03:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am looking forward to this show but the ratings game has made me fearful for every new show and their chances. I hope Fox put some serious support behind Sleepy Hollow.

Comment by Tori – September 15, 2013 10:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It sounds awfull and will most likely be cancelled before the end of the first season.

Comment by CBWBDK1 – September 15, 2013 10:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It sounds ghastly & ridiculous, but I really want it to take off. If it does, Ichabod might get on the list of top baby names, right up there with Katniss. I want that to happen!

Comment by BTM – September 15, 2013 11:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • There will never be a President Katniss.

Comment by Patrick – September 15, 2013 01:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Looking forward to it! Casting looks fabulous and its got a National Treasure vibe to it. Hope its awesome.

Comment by liz – September 15, 2013 01:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It seems somewhat like a supernatural version of Highlander: the stories are advanced via flashbacks of the main character in the past.

Comment by Ms.Georgia – September 15, 2013 03:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • We all know how this series will end: Ichabod realizes he’s been in purgatory all along.

Comment by Miss Priss – September 15, 2013 06:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • do anyone knows sonething about is that based on book?

Comment by guest – September 16, 2013 02:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Another Flashback TV series? Sorry, not interested. LOST oversaturated that plot device and now every TV show uses that … it’s become an annoying plot device at that. Want tyo tell a story about the past? Then do it without flashbacks.

Comment by Krieson – September 16, 2013 05:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m definitely going to check this out.

Comment by Mikael – September 16, 2013 09:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am looking forward to this series and I know this is nerdy and obnoxious but I can’t help myself: batman is a DC character and not from a Stan Lee (marvel) comic. Ok, I feel better now.

Comment by murley – September 16, 2013 09:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have to stick with a show for a few episodes that, referentially, cuts off Clancy Brown’s head.

Comment by G.L. – September 18, 2013 07:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I just watched it tonight on On Demand and man I can’t believe that didn’t even occur to me. And there was lightning when you saw his head was off so someone somewhere had a Quickening.

Comment by Evan – September 19, 2013 02:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love this show!! I watched the Pilot last week and the second show on Fir.! I was NOT disappointed; this is an awesome show and I enjoy the fact that it’s between Biblical and History of the Revolution. I enjoy every minute of this series and wish the writers great luck with keeping it interesting and grounded! Looking forward to every show!!

Comment by Donna – September 24, 2013 03:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • There is definately a lot to learn about this
    subject. I love all the points you’ve made.

Comment by Norpro Stainless Steel Donut Biscuit Cutter with Removable Center – November 4, 2013 07:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hi colleagues, its wonderful article on the topic of teachingand fully defined, keep it up all the time.

Comment by 2-Pack Black Ginger Bamboo Scented Wax Melts from EcoScents. A complex but bold fragrance of spicy black ginger and fragrant bamboo chutes. – December 5, 2013 10:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post