SNL Adds Cecily Strong as Weekend Update Co- Anchor; Seth Meyers to Stick Around All Season?

Saturday Night Live Cecily Strong Weekend UpdateThe Girl You Wish You Hadn’t Started a Conversation With at a Party will now be driving the pop culture conversation, as a co-anchor of Saturday Night Live‘s Weekend Update segment.

SNL boss Lorne Michaels tells the New York Times that starting with the late-night sketch show’s Season 39 premiere (airing Sept. 28), sophomore cast member Cecily Strong will sit alongside veteran news reader Seth Meyers at the WU desk, mocking headlines.

RELATED | Tina Fey, Miley Cyrus and Bruce Willis Among Saturday Night Live‘s First Season 39 Hosts

“Cecily, from the first show, was right there,” Michaels said of Strong’s first year with SNL. “She exploded.”

Whether Strong goes solo on Weekend Update once Meyers’ run as host of NBC’s Late Night begins in late February remains to be seen. Michaels seems to be holding out some hope that since Meyers won’t shoot Late Night on Fridays, he could pull double duty.

RELATED | Exclusive: Lady Gaga Returning to Saturday Night Live as Musical Guest… and Host?

The Times story also confirms that SNL scribe Mike O’Brien is joining the on-camera ensemble (along with the previously rumored Beck Bennett, Kyle Mooney, Noël Wells and John Milhiser), while Tim Robinson is moving off the stage and into the writers room.

Meyers welcomed his new co-anchor via Twitter, as well as offered his sad speculation about Strong’s occasional WU visitor.

1. Tricia says:

I’m going to miss that character, but maybe she can get her own sketches. Awesome news for her.

2. Jake says:

I think they should definitely at least attempt to build a sketch around the character to see if it works.

Thank goodness, Tim Robinson won’t be back (on camera). He was such a waste last season and not funny when he was used.

3. Eddie says:

Great choice (Even though I would if preferred Vanessa Bayer :( )! But I hope Seth leaves in December as originally planned, the show is already changing the cast a lot, why keep Seth on? Plus his time on the desk has expired much too long.

For a female co-anchor, I think she would be a good pair with Nasim/Vanessa, and for a Male/Female partnership Jay Pharoh.

• Patrick says:

Vanessa Bayers it too valuable in regular sketches to tie her down in WU. She is going to be a huge star, so it will all work out in the end.

4. nguber says:

Reblogged this on iwatch2much and commented:
    I liked Cecily Strong last season. In the little she was given, she was pretty funny at it. I doubt they let her go solo though. I’m sure Seth Meyers is going no where.

5. cjeffery7 says:

WOW WOW WOOOOWWWWWWW that’s awesome for her! and she’s only been a featured player up until now. WOW. that is pretty legit. i am looking forward to it. we’ll finally get to see her style.

also, i bet they’re gonna try and keep seth around, at least for this particular season, because as evidenced by ‘girl you wish you hadn’t started a conversation with’ they have pretty good chemistry.

6. Steven says:

Still holding out hope that they get John Mulaney to join her midseason.

7. nathan says:

season 40 should just be the last season

• David4 says:

Season 5 should be the last season.

• Paul Cox says:

Maybe you’re fine with the whole Lovitz/Hartman/Carvey/Hooks/Dunn/Nealon cast never having happened, but a lot of other people would disagree with you.

• Marc says:

I’ve long ago accepted the fact that SNL is a permanent show, like Today and GMA, The Tonight Show and other late night talk shows with similar formats, the news magazine, etc. The cast and writers will changes. It will always have stinkers among the sketches. Some cast members will be come stars. But, the format–live sketch comedy with an ensemble cast and guest host and musical guest will be around as long as the economics of network television can pay the bill with ads and other income. I suppose if the network business model collapses, “SNL” may go–Laugh In disappeared–but someone should be able to make money on a show with this format for decades to come. There is no reason other than NBC leaving the business that SNL won’t go on and on.

8. Meyers’ Twitter avatar is Blue Beetle? Now that’s cool, heh.

9. BEST. NEWS. EVER. Cecily Strong is still one of my faves on SNL and I hope she sticks around until the show reaches 40 (maybe it’s last).

10. BTW, we just got word that SNL has just booked Brooks Wheelan to join the cast which is now extended its feature player roster to six joining newbies Beck Bennett, John Milhiser, Kyle Mooney, Mike O’ Brien and Noel Wells (only female rookie to the cast this season).

11. Mike R. says:

Not sure if I would chose Strong, but I think she’ll do a good job, an co anchors have always been funnier than just Seth, so I’m excited.

12. aMIr says:

She Is The Best New Char Around . I Love Her .

13. tru says:

Really her? She a bit player and hasn’t proven herself yet. They should have given the job to Kate Mckinnon instead.

• dsimpson41 says:

She hasn’t proved herself either if you’re going by longevity… Cecily is funnier than the mugging McKinnon nay day

14. If some one needs to be updated with hottest technologies therefore he must be go to see this web page and be up to date daily.

15. cary says:

She’s GREAT! The next “IT” girl on SNL…BIG SHOES, but she’s got it!

16. Zoe says:

I’m only sad about this because it means no more of The Girl You Wish You Hadn’t Started A Conversation With At A Party. Although maybe she’ll get her own sketches?

17. Rick says:

Cecily is strong. Her Girl at the party character is hysterical, hopefully her new weekend update gig won’t kill off the character, but she’s so talented, we may not even miss her.

• Ken says:

I’m pretty sure we’ll still see Cecily in some of the regular sketches, in addition to her role as Weekend Update co-anchor. Plus. I hear she wants to meet Kat Dennings, when it’s her turn to host. Imagine, the fun they’d have in some of their sketches.

18. Austin says:

Seth will probably leave in December, I just hope Cecily becomes the next solo anchor.

• Ken says:

Does that mean we’ll still see Cecily in some of the regular sketches she normally appears in, while she’s on Weekend Update?

19. ken says:

Could someone please assure me that we’ll still see Cecily in a majority of the regular sketches she normally appears in, while she’s co-anchor on Weekend Update?

I remember Jimmy O’Fallon and Poehler got a chance to appear in the regular sketches, and I would imagine Cecily will do likewise.