Emmys

Emmys 2013: Who Should Win Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series? Take Our Poll!

Get More: Awards, Emmys, Polls

Emmys Lead Actor in a DramaThe 2013 Emmy race for Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series is an intriguing one.

While Homeland‘s Damian Lewis goes for his second consecutive win, Breaking Bad‘s Bryan Cranston (who captured three straight trophies from 2008-2010) will try to return to the winner’s circle after being inelligible in 2011 and losing to Lewis in 2012. Of course, then there’s the perpetual bridesmaid of the category, Mad Men‘s Jon Hamm, nominated for the sixth consecutive year but still seeking his first win.

PHOTOS | Fall TV Spoiler Spectacular: Exclusive Pics and Scoops on 45 Returning Favorites

A pair of newcomers are also in the hunt this year: House of Cards‘ Kevin Spacey and The Newsroom‘s Jeff Daniels. Rounding out the race is Downton Abbey‘s Hugh Bonneville, also nominated in 2012.

What would you do if you had the power to honor one of these fine actors when the Emmys are handed out? Take our poll below to vote for your favorite — TVLine voting closes Sept. 20, so act now! — then hit the comments to justify your pick!

RELATED | Emmys 2013: Who Should Win Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series? Take Our Poll!

Tomorrow, we’ll launch another “Who Should Win?” Emmy poll, so come back to TVLine.com every day to weigh in on who’s most worthy of TV’s biggest honor. And to stay up to speed on all our Emmy polls, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

Comments (38)

• I love Downton Abbey–but season 3 was weak….especially for Hugh Bonneville. It should go, deservedly, to Cranston

Comment by Ella – September 14, 2013 02:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree, even if I don’t watch Newsroom & Mad Men, I’m rooting for anyone except Hugh

Comment by Sara – September 14, 2013 08:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bryan Cranston this season is well above everyone else….

Comment by D. – September 14, 2013 02:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It would have been the first half of the seaosn and not this year’s episodes. But he still should win, then I’d say Damian Lewis. Kevin Spacey was the bright spot of the “ehhh until the end” House of Cards.

Comment by David4 – September 14, 2013 03:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Basing Cranston off of last season, I’d say he has a great chance of winning. There’s no doubt that the real competition is between Bryan Cranston versus Damian Lewis. Both nominees had an outstanding performance throughout their past seasons. I feel like Lewis will win, but I will be pulling for Cranston.

Comment by Andrew – September 14, 2013 02:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bryan Cranston has gave Lewis a run for his money. However, I do think Jon Hamm should win considering he has never won before and Bryan Cranston has to win next year for the final season.

Comment by Austin – September 14, 2013 03:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jon Hamm, no one else could have played Don Draper, period

Comment by gailer – September 14, 2013 03:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Damian’s Q&A vs Bryan’s Say My Name. I CAN’T pick just one D:

Comment by Lucas – September 14, 2013 03:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What kind of survey is this?? There shouldn’t even be a debate!
    Byan Cranston

Comment by Davy Arper – September 14, 2013 03:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll be shocked if Kevin Spacey wins for his performance on House of Cards but I’m rooting for Bryan Cranston to win even though he lost last year to Damian Lewis.

Comment by Flacco Kaepernick – September 14, 2013 04:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cranston should win. Lewis (and Danes) won last year based on Homeland being the flavour of the month and dealing with a ‘current’ topic, not a better performance than Cranston. In fact I’d say Lewis had a bad season last year, him and Danes really suffered at the hands of some ropey writing and Homeland really dropped in quality. Mad Men also had a poor season compared to its usual standard.

Conversely, everything in Breaking Bad gets better year on year. The writing, the direction, and the acting from all involved. It’s obvious Cranston, Paul, Norris, Gunn, Odenkirk, etc are all putting in their best performances this and last season. In a perfect world, BB would just have a clean sweep. And I bloody l

Comment by DG – September 14, 2013 04:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And I bloody love mad men and homeland and the other shows mentioned and all actors involved. But Breaking Bad has simply taken TV to another level.

Comment by DG – September 14, 2013 04:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jeff Daniels has been so underrated! His performance on The Newsroom in impeccable and his dialogue delivery and characterization is fantastic. Cranston is great but I think the writing and theme of the show enhance his performance whereas Daniels truly brings this character to life, he’s a real person in a normal situation.

Comment by Da True Adam – September 14, 2013 04:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nathan Fillion of Castle. That show is so underrated.

Comment by MK – September 14, 2013 04:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • See I adore Castle. One of my must watch shows.

But I must disagree. Nathan Fillion, while a good actor, does not deserve an Emmy for his body of work. It pales in comparison to the other, more deserving names on this list.

Doesn’t mean I don’t love Castle though……because I do.

Comment by Ella – September 14, 2013 10:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cranston or Daniels

Comment by Ron (@Ronc303) – September 14, 2013 05:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Damian Lewis. Though so many other people deserve to be nominated.

Comment by ScorpionGlow – September 14, 2013 06:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Honestly, I think Breaking Bad has the momentum going into the Emmys, and that includes Cranston. People love Cranston.

Comment by Kat – September 14, 2013 06:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. I voted for Cranston, too… but Kevin Spacey was *incredible* in House of Cards. I’m not sure I’d want to have money riding on the outcome!

Comment by Simon Jester – September 14, 2013 07:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Daniels for the upset. I’m not buying Walter White’s sudden growth of a conscience. Cranston has been brilliant from start to finish, but I’m not a fan of WW this season.

Comment by Michael Angelo – September 14, 2013 07:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The nomination isn’t for the current season, it’s for the front 8, where he was arguably at his most evil.

Comment by Kat – September 14, 2013 08:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He has a conscience after threatening his brother-in-law and blackmailing him?!

Comment by David4 – September 15, 2013 10:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bryan Cranston all the way, his performances on Breaking Bad are beyond explainable in words, he knocks it out of the park every episode. At the same time, I do feel bad for John Hamm who doesn’t have a win yet, even though he deserves one. As well, I’ve heard Damian Lewis is a phenomenal actor too, but I’m really pulling for Bryan Cranston. Heisenberg is unbeatable.

Comment by Jimmy – September 14, 2013 09:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jeff Daniels should win without question. His performance in the Newsroom is so real and nuanced that it makes you
    think he is someone you know and relate too easily. He can be angry, sweet, a jerk and so romantic within one episode . It’s hard not to fall in love with him despite his average looks . That’s what good acting is . He deserves
    the Emmy.

Comment by LoriT – September 14, 2013 10:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jeff Daniels, without a doubt. He has been really good in both the seasons, and it is not easy to play that kind of a role.
    However badly I want him to win, I just know they will give it to Cranston, probably cause Breaking Bad is ending or then again, Damian Lewis for Homeland.
    Both, Lewis and Cranston are great, but Jeff Daniels deserves this one.

Comment by Sally – September 14, 2013 10:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Daniels is a great actor but he doesn’t get much to work with on The Newsroom, and while Downton Abbey is spectacular I agree with the comments about this not being Bonneville’s biggest year. Personally this season of Mad Men would’ve been nothing save two things – James Wolk and Jon Hamm. The final episode alone was a tour de force for Hamm and I would love to see him finally recognised for more than his, ahem, “Hamm”

Comment by Dizzle – September 14, 2013 10:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jon Hamm deserves to win already! Just give him one.

Comment by name – September 14, 2013 11:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jeff Daniels has done an amazing job as Will McEvoy and the Newsroom deserves the credit.

Comment by Mel – September 15, 2013 12:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jeff Daniels, please let it be him. I am tired of the violence winning out because of the extremes. This man draws us in each week and if there was anyone like him on the news today, I would watch it!

Comment by cerelon – September 15, 2013 02:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I voted for Bryan Cranston, but wouldn’t be upset if Jon Hamm wins. The man deserves recognition for the strong performance he has given on every season of Mad Men. Maybe after Breaking Bad goes off the air Jon Hamm will finally have a chance to win next year?

Comment by Sareeta – September 15, 2013 06:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t get why Bryan Cranston should win? I really don’t think that he is such a outstanding actor.. Now I get that this is lead actor but even the guy that plays hank is such a good actor and deservs more recongition for his work. Cranston is good att screaming lol.

Comment by Kreshb – September 15, 2013 06:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hank is a supporting role, not a lead.

Comment by Simon Jester – September 15, 2013 06:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I want Bryan to win.

Comment by Joey – September 15, 2013 06:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Have you seen the interrogation scene on Homeland? The finest tv hour in 2012, hands down.

Comment by Max – September 15, 2013 08:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree with Max. The interrogation scene on Homeland was spot on. Brody nailed that scene.

Comment by enri – September 15, 2013 09:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Bryan Cranston Award for Outstanding Lead Actor should always go to Bryan Cranston.

Comment by MrTemecula – September 15, 2013 05:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cranston should win, hands down and whoever said he’s not that good of an actor needs to have their head examined.

Comment by Terri Rimmer – September 17, 2013 08:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post